Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First open beta of AOVAF

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Re: Re : First open beta of AOVAF

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    Well, to have names working, you must edit 3 files. Sending only one would be useless.

If you want, I can send them all.

About the beta, BDH made a huge map, and I think we would be able to use some part of it. Have a look at the Arthurian mod. You'll see screenshots.
    Yeah, I meant all of them

And we have permission to use that map? If so, very great for the mod. Agreeing with NeonGod's comment above - that provincial campaign is a feature that should be used more - I'm wondering if the map of BDH could, if we get the permission, perhaps be used as one of many provincial campaigns included in the mod. I think creating a number of different provincial campaigns for the mod would be a nice addition compared to other mods, as it's a good way of implementing historical battles with a strategical element added. The adding of several provincial campaigns would however probably be a last minute addition, it's not an essential feature and should have lower priority. But the map is of course of interest for the demo release.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 12-28-2005 at 19:31.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Default Re: First open beta of AOVAF

Just a thought, though, but if there is to be a provincial campaign set in Britain, should the Hiberno-Norse be their own faction? It could also be a time to add the Danelaw.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : First open beta of AOVAF

I fwe make a provincial campaign, we'll use batch files to have much more factions (all unused factions such as Asturia, Cordoba etc. will be converted into a revelant faction)

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

The mod really looks good. If you want a closed beta, I'll sign up. Only for SP.

Do you plan on releasing it for BI?!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re : First open beta of AOVAF

Looks like so
    Hopefully, BI will bring a few nice features.

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

just thinking about something regarding provincial campaigns... mustn't the scripts, factions, unit stats, units, skins be the same if many in one mod? only the campaign map would change, right?

Well, the factions would change based on the campaign..

Default Re : Re: First open beta of AOVAF

Quote Originally Posted by ScionTheWorm
    just thinking about something regarding provincial campaigns... mustn't the scripts, factions, unit stats, units, skins be the same if many in one mod? only the campaign map would change, right?
    With a batch file, we can edit all the factions/skins/etc.

Edit : I'll explain better. For a provincial campaign, we can have 2 (or more) set of text files and move them around, depending on what campaign the player is going to launch.

Ie : One set of files in which Cordoba is replaced by Mercia and the Caliphate by Northumbria. Both faction will have access to the Saxons units buildings and will be similar to the Saxon (that would be called Wessex) faction. The only things we would have to do are skins/symbols for these new factions.

If he doesn't want to play this campaign, the player will have to launch the batch file that will install the other set of files.
    Last edited by Meneldil; 09-01-2005 at 09:51.

Default Re: Re : Re: First open beta of AOVAF

Ok, provincial campaigns with that much extra work might not be possible. But at least a zoom in on an interesting area, using only the normal factions and rebels, would be quite easy. If we plan on making more complex provincial campaigns with batch files, I think it should wait until the main campaign is completed.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

I could easily do the programming of this "switch" where player can choose from a bunch of provincial campaigns, then the program would copy the approrpiate files to rtw before the game starts. but the text files would have to be there ready of course. but this is far ahead, let's start with one

Quote Originally Posted by ScionTheWorm
    I could easily do the programming of this "switch" where player can choose from a bunch of provincial campaigns, then the program would copy the approrpiate files to rtw before the game starts. but the text files would have to be there ready of course. but this is far ahead, let's start with one
    Yes, the batch file isn't the problem, it's the work with creating all those extra files And making it as an .exe would also be easy. One could for example have a .exe doing the required stuff then automatically launch R:TW, I think. So you'd click different shortcuts to start the different campaigns. The problem is that you have to restart R:TW to play on another provincial campaign...
    Under construction...

Legio,
    I am very impressed with the work the team has put into the mod. Any forcast when the beta version will be ready for testing?

WarBird

Well, all I can say is that we have a lot of work left to do. We've done less than 50% of the total work, and the speed at which we progress varies greatly from week to week, depending on how much other work we have and so on. So a forecast is quite difficult to make, but we might be interested in people willing to do unit stats balancing and testing in custom battles even before we're ready, as internal beta testers. I'll put up a thread about it when we think we're ready for that.
    Under construction...

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Good luck with it, this mod looks very good, gotta make seperate folder from EB .

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default Re: Re : First open beta of AOVAF

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    Well, I don't think releasing the campaign map in a first beta is a good idea...
    It will need to have a whole lot of unit ready, a balanced game, no loopholes, etc. That will be *a lot* of testing.

On the other hand, a beta release with custom, multiplayer and a few historical battles would be easier, and released earlier.

We could plan to have the Vikings, Saxons, Frankish and (an eastern faction) units ready, historical battles such as Hastings, Clontarf, Stamford Bridge, etc.

As for quotes and names, I could take care of it, althought I've never did so before. Shouldn't be that hard.

Could you dl some instant messenger ? ICQ or MSN would be great. It would be way easier to communicate.

The map is almost done, regions-wise, I'll send a map to PseRamesses, so he can help me with the Viking areas. So far, I have about 170 regions, and ideas for the 30 remaining.
    quote names is easy just find the right file and have the right names :D then it will go just fine

We do not sow.

Only say thanks for your work to you all. Thanks for all the hours wasted in this nice madness. You give us the best gift: promises of many hours of exciting game playing.
    Keep up the good work.

Thumbs up Re: First open beta of AOVAF

Seconded.

Antagonist
    "Society is going down the drain, and it's everybody's fault but ours."

Arthurian Total War Developer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12