Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alternate History: Michael's Crucible

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Default Re: Alternate History: Michael's Crucible

Choice 2.

You are a courtier, naturally skilled in courtly business and diplomacy. Put it to use; reputation from a successful negotiation with the Turks is very useful in the diplomatic world - you will look like an emperor that is doing his job, and, if succeeded, do it well. Your army and your generals (or at least most of them) are loyal to you, at least for now, and would be willing to fight the emperor's wars for him. You are still young [historically, Michael actually ruled (incompetently) later only after Diogenes had lost the battle of Manzikert] and other wars can be fought later on. The Turks are a warlike people with clans traditions, and the Sultan will respect more an emperor who's respected him enough and brave enough to "show himself." In fact, will the Sultan be offended if he feels that you're not considering him worthy enough that you just send a letter and went on to another campaign instead, against "petty" raids by the "petty" nomads?

As for the Bulgarian situation, I'd rather send Manuel, your most loyal general. Time is not of a concern in Bulgaria, but rather how complete the job is done, and that tax shipment, if recovered, could at least help ease the financial troubles. I'd rather have Crispinus continues to hold on to Bari; an Italian foothold, if lost, is going to be very hard to get back. Bryennius' plan require too much force; it may affect your upcoming diplomacy with Alp Arslan if he realizes your empire's forces are occupied elsewhere. Just look at the modern world: North Korea goes on showing the middle finger on the US and Iran becomes a rising star on the world stage now that the US' hands are tied in Iraq.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 09-05-2005 at 03:41. Reason: mistaken identity. ouch.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Weeee!
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    Weeee!

Edit: (answering Kraxis' post below) Oh! I see. It's a great idea, really.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 09-04-2005 at 02:17.

My suggestion has been selected.

Just found this thread today whilst idly browsing and read the whole thing. While a pseudo-Roman Emperor isn't exactly my kind of leader, there are a quite a few tough decisions to make..

For A, I go with Kraxis' suggestion - set up a meeting with the Seljuk Sultan and speak with him man to man. An agreement or bargain would help straighten out the sticky situation. Failing that...well, we can bribe a few Turcoman chiefs, I hope.

For B, I would say that Crispinus seems to be the best qualified, but he seems rather indisposed, and bringing him in from Italy would not be the quickest solution anyway. I vote to send Manuel - the marriage is a rather large stepping stone in an alliance that will be almost necessary if negotiations with Seljuks break down. As well, strengthening ties with the nobles is a nice way to keep the problems as limited as possible. It's killing two birds with one stone. The diplomatic meeting with the Sultan shouldn't take so long as to cause delays, should it?

After considering the advice of both Michael Psellus and John Ducas on the Turkish issue, you decide that you're not really satisfied with either option. You just don't know the Sultan well enough to make a good decision. You need to speak to him in person, to get a feel for the man and his wants and needs. Then you can carry on some truly meaningful negotiation. You pen the letter yourself (with the help of a translator) and send it off to Baghdad with one of your best couriers.

With regards to the problems in Bulgaria, you trust the Caesar's advice. If he says Crispinus would be good for the job, he probably is. You recall him to the city to discuss his mission and strategy.

Meanwhile, your wedding-day approaches. It's scheduled for the tenth of May, but Crispinus runs into some inclement weather in the Adriatic, and one of Maria's brothers runs late as well, so you postpone it a day to give them a chance to be there. For his part, Crispinus arrives in the City only hours before the ceremony is supposed to start. You're told later that he insisted on being there for the beginning, even though he was still tired from the road and barely had time to clean himself (like most Franks living in the Empire, Crispinus has taken up the habit of regular bathing).

The dual wedding has you and Andronicus sitting together for quite a while before things get rolling. You spend some of it talking with the Patriarch, John Xiphilinus, and find him to be quite a learned man. He was an abbot before your father appointed him to his current position, and is well-versed in a variety of topics both sacred and secular. Rumor has it that he argued with your father against his promotion.

The ceremony flows smoothly, with short, rather meaningless speeches by yourself, Andronicus, and the Patriarch. The two brides enter together. They've been trying to become friends with one another over the last few weeks, you think, though Maria is so shy that truly getting to know her takes some real effort. You and Maria take your vows first, followed by your brother and Epiphania, after which hazel boughs are burned for luck in the old Roman tradition, their smoke rising to the distant ceiling and mingling with the bright light streaming in through the windows. You notice one of the eunuchs writing furiously through much of the proceedings. When you later ask him what he was writing, he tells you that he was asked by Constantine to record everything that happened in the wedding to send it to your mother.

After the ceremony, most of the dignitaries, officials, and lesser court members go, leaving the reception a private affair (by comparison), with only your family and honored guests, the Iagaris family, and a few of Maria's relatives attending. You dash off a few off-the-cuff poems, to the delight of the ladies, though you notice John Scylitzes rolling his eyes. You decide not to let his taste in poetry bother you on such a special day. Wanting to spend some time with your new wife, you set aside two days to spend with her and away from matters of governance. Much of it is spent in the gardens, often with Andronicus and Epiphania in tow. She seems to like talking with you about art, literature, and philosophy, and your discussions often leave the less-well-read Maria and Andronicus unable to keep up. The Caesar deals with most of the niggling management duties during this time, though to your surprise Constantine actually steps forward to help with a few of them.

Finally, a letter arrives from Baghdad carrying the Sultan's official seal. It is brought directly to you, and, eager to see his reply, you call an end to your little honeymoon of sorts a few hours earlier than you'd planned. You find it written in very good Greek - either the Sultan is fluent or he has a good translator. It seems that he's accepted your offer to meet in person. He asks that the meeting take place on the Byzantine bank of the Euphrates, northwest of Edessa, on the thirtieth of May.

Since you've already dipped back into matters of government, you meet with Crispinus to discuss his strategy. You decide to meet him in the generals' quarters rather than summoning him to the throne room, so you'll have easy access to the maps there. Manuel and Bryennius are there, too. "Your majesty," Crispinus greets you. "I hope you've enjoyed your time with your new wife." After you assure him that you have, he gets on to business. "I've listened to the plans of my colleagues, and I don't think either of them goes far enough. True, they might stop the raiding and put down the brigands, but the best solution against barbarians like these is an aggressive one. We should fight them on their land, not ours. The Pechenegs are nimble, but they've been hurt badly by the Cumans and by Diogenes' campaign a few yeas ago. Their territory is small and there aren't many of them. Having nowhere to retreat to, they'll have to fight, and since they'll almost assuredly lose in a straight battle, we'll be able to force them to sign a very favorable treaty or maybe even annex their land outright."

"What about the Uzes?" you ask, suppressing annoyance at the accidental praise of Diogenes. "They're friendly to the Pechenegs."

"And hardly more powerful," Crispinus replies. "I doubt they'd be willing to help the Pechenegs in this folly of theirs. Even if they do, we can defeat them too, it'd just be more trouble."

"And the brigands?"

Crispinus shrugs. "Like Bryennius suggested, the thematic troops can deal with them when they don't have to chase after nomads anymore. They're the main concern. I'd need a fair number of men, of course. Perhaps 7,000 mercenary spearmen, 4,000 light infantry and archers, and a few thousand regular infantry and lancers. Our knights could prove useful, too."

You can think of several options.

1. Let Crispinus go on the offensive. He's asking for a lot of troops, but it's past time someone dealt with the Pecheneg menace once and for all, and taking a hard stance against them could set an example for the Uzes, Turks, and Cumans.

2. He's asking for about a third of your forces; you can't afford that now. He can have a number of men more equivalent to what the other two generals asked for. If that means he has to fight defensively, then he'll just have to do so.

3. Send a few units now, then Crispinus with the rest of his requested army on the thirtieth. Hopefully Arslan wouldn't get word of the deployment until after your negotiations are finished. There's a good chance you'd end up losing another month's taxes from the theme, though, not to mention the Bulgarians' property losses.
    Last edited by Vykke; 09-05-2005 at 19:43.
    "All philosophy lies in two words, sustain and abstain."
    ~Epictitus

I find the reactions of people in the court far more disturbing than the military choices for the Bulgarian campaign. Constantine, it seems, is clearly a threat in the future - from the reactions, he has no love for you and much for his mother. I suggest keeping an eye on him - closely. He is a co-emperor, unlike Andronicus, and may decide to take on the power himself like you did to your mother and Diogenes. And it is likely that some hurt is done by your seemingly carefree actions after the ceremony that decreases the respect of those supporting you. Anyone got any idea if a viable option should be added in dealing with the courtly matters?

As for the Bulgarian strategy...

Crispinus' first choice would be too much forces drawn away in the vital negotiation with Alp Arslan. Though certainly ruthless and effective, the timing isn't good.

The third choice would mean too much harm done and too much delay even if you can later go on the offensive with it. It may be a compromise of the first and second choice but in this matter you need to be more decisive.

I'd suggest the second choice, even if it means Crispinus can't get his way and couldn't launch an offensive. It is possible that we can return - this time perhaps even you yourself on the field - to strike at the raiders once again after the Turkish crisis is averted.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 09-05-2005 at 20:01.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

I vote 1. Send your troops to deal with these barbarians qucikly and ruthlessly. Should the worst come to the worst, many can be recalled if the Turks launch a full scale invasion.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Hmmm... Normally I would opt for #1, but this time it seems #2 is more prudent. The entire point with the campaign is to make Bulgaria stabel for the moment, a return to status quo, so you can turn to face the eventual fight with the Turks. Should you be able to strike a friendship with the Sultan, then it is time to deal with the raders on their own turf.

Btw, did Arslan really hold Baghdad?
    In any case the meeting is going to go a long way towards satifying the Turkish minoritycomplex towards the 'big old' Empires.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

to add to Antoiochus III insight:

Send Constantine with Crispinus to get him away from your mother for a while and let him make up his mind about his political future. When he comes back you will decide if he is a threat or not. On your side, intercept all messages from your mother's monastery to make sure there is no conspiracy going on....

I suggest number 1. They have to be crushed fast and with no hesitation. I would also suggest burning their villages and taking prisoners to ensure their decent behaviour. You need a show of force. Before the interview with the Sultan takes place.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Option number 2 for now. The situation with the sultan is more volatile. I'd rather hammer out some kind of an understanding before using mostly-needed troops to crush yet more horse people.

Let's get on with that meeting already. It's holding all my other decisions up.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    Send Constantine with Crispinus to get him away from your mother for a while and let him make up his mind about his political future. When he comes back you will decide if he is a threat or not. On your side, intercept all messages from your mother's monastery to make sure there is no conspiracy going on....
    I'd rather not send him with Crispinus, however. The Frankish general is not one of the more loyal ones to you. If he's going with Manuel, or John Ducas, or even Andronicus - you'd trust them to hold strong to your loyalty, and probably change Constantine's mind. (Remember, the kid got quiet - pissed at you, most likely - since you threw the mother into the Convent.) If he goes with Crispinus like this, it is possible that he'll try to change Crispinus' loyalty, or disturb the general's campaign in some other ways. After all, he's an emperor too. Though I agree with the second action, probably try to send a spy into that monastery, too?

Oh yes, and I want to see opinions if setting Andronicus as temporary regent while you're away is a good idea or not, to prevent Constantine or some senator/courtier using Constantine stabbing you in the back while you're talking with Alp Arslan.

I was going to suggest something along those lines, but I figured that Constantine probably doesn't have anything planned just yet. He's still quite young; if anything happens, he'll probably be a puppet. My suggestion would be send some spy to keep a close eye on him, and when any opportunity arises, have him killed - Hunting trip, archery practice, choking on a pretzel...whatever, as long as it can't be traced back to me/us/Michael. That would send things into a downward spiral far too quickly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    I'd rather not send him with Crispinus, however. The Frankish general is not one of the more loyal ones to you. If he's going with Manuel, or John Ducas, or even Andronicus - you'd trust them to hold strong to your loyalty, and probably change Constantine's mind. (Remember, the kid got quiet - pissed at you, most likely - since you threw the mother into the Convent.) If he goes with Crispinus like this, it is possible that he'll try to change Crispinus' loyalty, or disturb the general's campaign in some other ways. After all, he's an emperor too. Though I agree with the second action, probably try to send a spy into that monastery, too?

Oh yes, and I want to see opinions if setting Andronicus as temporary regent while you're away is a good idea or not, to prevent Constantine or some senator/courtier using Constantine stabbing you in the back while you're talking with Alp Arslan.

Ok, I see your point. It should be enough with just intercepting mail and keeping vigilance on the people that go in and out. Actually, a question for Vykke: Hows the patriarch doing?

I agree about letting Andronicus rule while you are away, but I think it could be dangerous too. What if he closes the gates when you return? Take most of the remaining army with you, specially the good units to avoid treason.

About Constantine, he needs something to do. Let him handle the finances. He is, after all, well educated, and that'll keep him busy and away from the military, but still in a position when he makes himself useful. Maybe secretly make Ducas watch him to make sure he's straight.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Actually, a question for Vykke: Hows the patriarch doing?
    From what he gave us already (though more information is always better ), the Patriach seems to be a safe neutral, for now - he wouldn't probably tried hard to stop a coup against you but he shouldn't be conspiring against you either. Just don't give him a reason to.
    I agree about letting Andronicus rule while you are away, but I think it could be dangerous too. What if he closes the gates when you return? Take most of the remaining army with you, specially the good units to avoid treason.
    My initial idea about this proposal is that Andronicus is a lesser risk to Constantine - the latter may be young, but you have enemies in the senate that will be on his side (as either mastermind or supporter) if he opposes you. Andronicus shows himself more loyal than most, at least; he also is less legitimate than you and Constantine (both emperors) and would gain less support from the court if he claims the throne. Of course, bringing the army with you could be useful if negotiations with Alp Arslan fails, as well. Though the Sultan may take offense at your "mobilization." IMO we should just gather up the army as you said and place them in temporary "peace control mission" in Cappadocia (to hurry the pacification process) while you and some elites (for display) go on to meet with the Turks.
    About Constantine, he needs something to do. Let him handle the finances. He is, after all, well educated, and that'll keep him busy and away from the military, but still in a position when he makes himself useful. Maybe secretly make Ducas watch him to make sure he's straight.
    A nice idea indeed. He couldn't probably harm the already emptied treasury, could he? And what is the point to do that at all. Though Ducas probably shouldn't be brought into this since he is "in the family" and would be half-hearted at best in following your orders to spy another family member; a younger brother and co-emperor, nonetheless. It's not like the Diogenes situation when Romanus Diogenes practically threatens to usurp the Ducas power.

In the end, it's up to Vykke about what options he is going to give for us. (Am I right to presume you're a guy, Vykke?)
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 09-07-2005 at 00:14.

The treasury seems like too important a task for someone so dangerous. Pocketing some money here or there would allow him more autonomy than he should have.

Kraxis: Arslan inherited Iraq and Persia from his family. By the time this thread started he also controlled Armenia and Georgia, and some of eastern Cappadocia and Syria, most of it taken from the Byzantines in Constantine X's reign.

NeonGod: IRL, Psellus' account says that Michael would have been adamantly opposed to Diogenes' blinding on moral grounds, even after they became mortal enemies (his subordinates did it anyway without asking him). Since the point of this thread is to let you choose your own path, I'm letting you do things the real Michael wouldn't have, but I don't think I'd let you go so far as to have Michael order his own brother's assassination. You'll have to think of other solutions to this potential problem.

Antiochus: Yup, I was a guy last I checked! Unfortunately, since Constantine's a fellow emperor, you don't really have much control over him. He can oversee what he wants when you're not around. As for bringing a large army, gathering it and marching it there would slow you down too much. Not all the troops are stationed in Constantinople, mostly for logistical reasons. Besides, I've already written up this post and I know NeonGod isn't the only one who wants to hurry up and get to the meeting.

You decide you have too many powerful enemies to expend so many troops on a relatively minor one. Crispinus grumbles a bit at the rejection of his plan, but wastes little time in organizing the army you've given him and coming up with an alternate, defense-oriented strategy that's similar to Bryennius' plan, but with more emphasis on using the thematic troops as border guards and scouts rather than as bandit-fighters. Instead, he'll use a few contingents of his own troops for that. He ends up taking about half as many men as he'd wanted.

In the meantime, you've got a meeting to attend. You spend several more days on minor matters of governance and organizing your retinue for the trip. You decide to bring with you about half of the money you'd scrounged for the bribe: having it there, on-hand, to tempt him with might prove beneficial. The rest you leave in the treasury, in case of emergencies. For your escort, you bring nine hundred Tagmata cavalry, with a handful of Varangians acting as mounted infantry to serve as personal bodyguards. At Manuel's request, you put his youngest brother Alexius in charge of your escort. You charge John Ducas with looking after the Empire in your absence and taking care of whatever things Constantine doesn't, which will most likely be a lot.

The procession leaves on schedule and crosses the Bosporus without incident. You haven't gone very far from the City in years, so watching the countryside pass by under your horses' hooves proves interesting. At first, people throng the road to see their Emperor passing by, in all shades of wealth and poverty, and they bow respectfully as you come into view. As you move into the interior, the area becomes more rural, and the gawkers less common. Soon you're in the Anatolian highlands, and, after passing a stretch of land devoted to orchards, you find yourself dwarfed by fields stretching in every direction, raising grains and all manner of livestock. "You know, your majesty... in a way, this is the heart of the Empire," says Alexius one day as you're walking past a barley farm, once he's realized that you're willing to let him speak relatively freely now and then. "True, Constantinople is the intellectual heart, but this is where our food comes from. Without that, all the intellect in the world is to no avail."

"Perhaps neither is the heart," you say. "If we're going to divide our Empire into fleshy organs, then certainly the City is the mind, and this would be the stomach."

"If neither of those is the heart, then, what is?" he says, amused. "Nicaea? It is where Christendom banished the darkness of heresy. Though if anything, I might be inclined to say that makes it the soul."

"No, it is our Roman heritage that provides us our strength and courage. No matter what the political maps say, Rome is the heart of our Empire."

Alexius doesn't seem to be able to think of a witty response to that, and the conversations drops.

As you continue east, the impact of the Turkish incursions becomes more evident. There seem to be a number of dispossessed people traveling the roads, looking for a new place to make their homes. They dutifully bow and move out of your way, but their postures contain none of the admiration shown in the western provinces. Some of the families are Turkish, and you note that they keep a wide berth from the Greek and Armenian pilgrims. A Cappadocian thematic unit appears after a while and accompanies you to Caesarea. You note that some of those men are Turks too, though the great majority are of a non-barbarian ethnicity.

Caesarea is the capital of Cappadocia and where Psellus has set up his base of operations. A decade ago, it was a thriving city built around a great fortress-cathedral. However, the place was plundered and razed by soldiers of the Seljuk in one of his incursions toward the end of your father's reign, and now the damaged cathedral and many empty houses are a testament to the strength and ferocity of Alp Arslan. You've been making good time, so you decide to rest here for a day and take a look at what Psellus has been doing. He greets you warmly, but soon Nicephorus Botaniates enters, and the talk turns to grim politics.

"I still believe my mission is ultimately achievable," Psellus says, "but not under current conditions. Tensions are high between the Turks and native Greeks and Armenians, and the people here resent us for allowing these foreigners to settle on their land. Naturally, I've tried to minimize the damage by assisting the refugees where possible and trying to compensate them to some degree for their losses, but it's administratively and financially very challenging, to the point of impossibility, as long as more Turcomen keep coming in and displacing people. In addition, I think that the continuous addition of new Turks is the main factor working against my civilizing efforts. It seems like as soon as I get one tribe to agree to settle down peacefully, a new, unruly one appears and attacks them or befriends them, and either way they quickly resume their old ways."

"I noticed that there were some Turks among the troops that saw us in," you tell them.

"Yes, sire, that's one tactic we've been trying," says Botaniates, a man with a waist of unseemly size but with confident, decisive movements. "We've been using the typical thema agreement to give land grants to families willing to abide by their end of the bargain - their sons serve in our armies, and we allow them to live on our land. It gives us both what we want. Not many have taken us up on it yet, though, because a lot of them would rather take land from civilians for free and continue to live by their own rules. Our troops are still trying to force that mentality out of them. Also, Psellus has insisted that they convert first."

"A sensible precaution," Psellus interjects, beetling his grayed brow.

"Regardless," Botaniates continues, "I've matched wits with the Sultan on the battlefield before. If I may presume to advise you, your eminence, you would do well not to underestimate him."

You assure them that, God willing, you and the Sultan will reach an acceptable agreement, and make a note to come through here on the way home and help them sort out their policies.

Back on the road again, you find that as you head further east there's fewer signs of patrols. Imperial control in Lycandos seems to be very shaky, and much of the countryside depopulated, abandoned by Greeks because of Turkish incursion, and by Turks because the terrain is too rough for their taste and the pickings are fatter elsewhere. Still, scouts report seeing some Turks occasionally, though too many seem to be warriors. You order your retinue to slow down a bit and move in a tighter formation.

One cloudy morning, after you've been riding for two hours and are passing between two hills, the thunder of hoofbeats behind you turns you. Oksandr, the captain of your Varangians, points up the hill on the north. "My lord, the Turks come!"

You see several of your outriders cresting the hill and charging for the safety of the main force, being chased by Turkish horsemen. While you watch them come, trying to guess their numbers, Oksandr orders the Varangians to form up in a defensive circle around you. It's hard to be sure, but there's several hundred Turks on the hill, at least. The Tagmata cavalry begin to rally around your position as well.

Alexius rides up, his horse in a lather. "Sire, outriders report more on the other side of the south hill as well. Perhaps three or four hundred. I think they intended to hit us from both sides, but the ones to the north charged prematurely."

As you watch, the Turks on the north hill veer away from the outriders and toward the baggage train, which trails to the west, behind your retinue. "They want the gold," ventures Oksandr. "Let us leave it and go forward."

"No!" objects Alexius. "We shouldn't have to undergo that humiliation. Let us protect it! We can bring it up the south hill before the second group gets there. The southern force is still several minutes away."

"Silence!" you order. You must decide what to do, and fast. If you're held up here for more than a day or two, you might be late for the meeting.

1. Leave the baggage train and rush your men forward (east) and out of the space between the two hills. Most likely, you could then continue to the Euphrates without further incident.

2. Attempt to pull the baggage up the southern hill before the Turks on that side get there. From there, you should be able to defend it easily.

3. Regroup around the baggage train and perform a fighting withdrawal from between the two hills. Once they can no longer use the high ground, they will face much stiffer opposition.
    Last edited by Vykke; 09-07-2005 at 04:08.
    ~Epictitus

Must keep money! Must... keep money...!

I say 2 if the train is capable of moving up the hills without getting stuck. Speed doesn't matter as much to me as just moving the darned things. 3 if not.

For my final answer (why does that sound dorky?) I go with 2. A stiff charge up the hill (ooo... tired) from a unit of heavy Cav should do fine to clear the Turks.

Sure, the Turks want the cash, but if it is half your treasury... I think you HAVE to keep it. And its not like you don't outnumber the Turks by a lot anyway. Sure, maybe they're faster, but I REALLY hope you have some quality archers amongst your Tagmata. If so, I don't think you have much to worry about from raiders. You are the Emperor afterall, and your personal escorts should be some tough, well armored men. (Is that sexist? Probably...)

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Hehe, Vykke, I'm just making sure I'm not a sexist by presuming everybody in a wargaming forum is a guy, you know...

Anyway, the real game finally starts!

I had my concerns long ago about Turkish displacement of the locals, and my, how right I'm turning out to be! We should've brought our armies here and wipe the Turks out long ago. Anyway, if the past couldn't be changed then let's change the future.

You have as your second-in-command one of the finest men the Empire has to offer in this time and age; Alexius Comnenus, future emperor of the Comneni dynasty. However, the Comneni are staunch allies of the Ducas family (and the other way around, as well), and Alexius is presumably more-or-less loyal and very skilled. Listen to his advice: take the second choice.

The first would be a diplomatic and economic disaster. Arrogant Turks!

The third would be a waste of critical moment - why suffer a sure disadvantage at the chance of possible advantage?

Indeed, I'd suggest that, if possible (read: reasonable/favourable), make sure the Turks suffer as much as possible for this show of extreme arrogance. It would go a long way to ensure your military reputation in the Eastern frontier. It seems, to me, that you need one now.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 09-07-2005 at 05:43.

I agree. Option 2 is the way to go; it's time to kick some ass. Meeting with the sultan had better be worth this trouble.

A pity about Constantine, though. Damn brat...

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    A pity about Constantine, though. Damn brat...
    Yup. Little momma-loving boy. Unworthy of the imperial throne.

I'm thinking about raising Andronicus' status high in your service (but NEVER co-emperor) to the point where he feels that Constantine has become the obstacle for him to exercise the power his loving elder brother gives him in gratitude of his loyal service.

There's a thought. I was thinking of framing him for something...not necessarily treason, but something else which would cause him to lose a considerable deal of support...what's the Byzantine stance on male homosexuality?

Ahh...he's just a boy. Your idea is probably best.

Blog Entries

number 2 is the way to go. Give your Varangians something to do. They'll get fat walking all day around the palace and all. Constantine will have to wait till you get back.... MAybe you could watch him secretly and as I said earlier watch his letters and bribe a few of his servants to watch him too...

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

What needs to be done to Constantine:
    You need to kill him as soon as possible. Constantine is a huge threat to your reign, so the moment you come back, you need to kill Constantine and anyone in the Senate that supports Constantine. Since you have the support of your army, getting rid of Constantine can be done fairly easily.

What you need to do to the Turkish Raiders:
    Own them. Also, note that this attack might be a scheme by Arslan to kill you, so watch out for poison dipped arrows. That and grab a shield and throw on some armor, before you turn into Julian the Apostate.

What you need to do with Arslan:
    Crush him utterly, as soon as possible. In fact, send for your army ASAP. First though, try to get something out of him from the negotiations if you can.

What you need to do with the Turkish people:
    Resettle them on the opposite corner of the empire, say in Italy. That'll give the Normans something to chew on. Let them practice their own religion as well. No reason to not let them.

What to do about Maria:
    Cheat on her with Epiphania. She's much more your type than Maria is. If either of them act up later, blind them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

That's typically extreme of you, DA.

I'd say two, because that money is important! Half the reason you came, even. And kicking some Turcomen (or Turks, whatever) around will give you another leverage at the bargaining table.

As far as Maria and Epiphania and the other princesses go, I wish we could have seen a few pics before a desicion was made...

However Vykke had made a point that Michael was not an extreme person - quite a mild scholarly coward, in fact. Indeed, we've already stepped far from the historical pathetic Michael Ducas that occupied the throne of Constantinople for nothing, even though we haven't even succeeded in anything real yet. If you're controlling men like Alexius Comnenus or even Romanus Diogenes (soldiers, basically...) it would be logical to give such extreme choices for us "players" to choose.

And hey, Maria is (according to definition Vykke gave us) a sweet, shy girl. She'll probably be ineffective but it's better than having a whore (to the mods: is that considered a bad word here? If yes, please feel free to edit my post - and remove this comment to) as an empress or another Theodora.

To DA: I advocated entering war early on but for now it's not a wise thing to do. Others have chosen a more pacifist approach and it makes for interesting things now :)

To Vykke: is there any historical pics for those girls you featured in this thread? I know that most of the actual characters here are real, some have, in fact, gone on to become emperors. So I wonder if such is the case for the princesses.

Default The Man of the Hour

Hehe, I thought you guys would appreciate a tactical decision, even a relatively quick-and-easy one like this.

Congratulations, DA. I have now started thinking of you as "Sulla Jr."

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I made up all the princesses except Maria. Given the time I had available for research, the only German princess of the period that I could find was already married - to Solomon of Hungary, as I mentioned - and I couldn't find any references to Cuman princesses at all, much less ones from the right period (I do know they married into the nobility of neighboring peoples, but no one seems to have bothered writing down their names!). Maria is the girl Michael married IRL, though I've seen conflicting accounts on whether she was Alan or Georgian. For purposes of this thread, though, she's Alan. I don't have any pictures, but Michael Psellus described her as "pre-eminent in virtue and beauty." Take that how you will.

You immediately discard the Varangian's suggestion. You can't go around throwing away money to highwaymen like this. Instead, you yell at Alexius, "Make it happen!" He immediately begins organizing the maneuver with the lieutenants, with the group's servants and some of the soldiers helping haul the heavy baggage up the slope. It's a grueling ascent. With your top-notch and unburdened mount, it's an easy climb for you, but the men assigned to deal with the wagons and draft animals work up a heavy sweat, with Alexius egging them on. When the tagmata in front crest the hill, they shout and immediately begin exchanging arrow fire with an unseen enemy. As you reach the top yourself, you see that there is a screen of Turks already there, though they are swiftly withdrawing from your heavily-armored troops. A larger mass of Turks is at the foot of the hill, though when they see their cavalry screen flee, they stop advancing.

"Sire." Oksandr gets your attention and points back to the north, where that band of Turks, apparently under the command of a very impetuous leader, has begun climbing the hill after you.

"Let your men fire at will," you tell the lieutenant commanding the north side. You don't know his name, which bothers you a bit since you pride yourself on being able to learn and remember the names of your men, though you honestly can't fault yourself for not knowing the name of every lieutenant in the army. Regardless, his men release their shafts expertly, exchanging some more arrow fire with the Turks, who quickly realize that they've lost the tactical advantage because of their bungled pincer attack, and they can't win without it. Both bands retreat with minor losses. You consider pursuit, but catching them would be problematic at best, and you can't bear the delay. Maybe you can punish them later.

You move cautiously through the rest of the journey, though the Turcomen cause you no more trouble.

You come across the Euphrates late in the day on the twenty-ninth. Scouts you send ahead report that Arslan is already at the meeting place with a small force of men, though they say that the shallowness of the privies indicate that he hasn't been there very long. When you see their encampment yourself, you at first question whether your scouts have found the right group of Turks, because no pavilion seems to be large and opulent enough to house a leader as powerful as the Sultan. Still, as you draw closer you find that the largest tent - little bigger than what a tribal chieftain would own - is flying a flag depicting the white silhouette of a two-faced angel on a blue field, over which is superimposed a black bow and arrow. This is the standard of the Great Seljuk.

In an initial discussion between emissaries, it's made known that Arslan would rather meet with you tomorrow morning, once you've had time to rest. Taking him up on his offer, you and your men make camp a few hundred yards upriver from the Turkish contingent. This far north and west, the Euphrates is a fairly narrow and fast-moving river winding between gently rolling hills. Your servants set up your pavilion near its bank in time for you to recieve Paulus, your ambassador to Baghdad, who traveled here with the Sultan. You find him dressed up in baggy white clothes, more like an Arab than a Greek, though he still keeps his beard trimmed in the Greek style. He presents his opinion of the Sultan: "Your majesty, although I am, of course, not allowed to be present when he is making his major decisions, I believe that he is, at heart, an honorable man. Any agreement you reach with him will probably be followed."

"What of the attack on our procession?" you ask. At his look of confusion, you explain to him what happened a few days ago.

"Sire, I'm sure that was not his doing," Paulus states confidently. "If he had discreetly ordered such a thing, which I do not believe he would have, then his men would not have executed the attack in such a clumsy fashion. The Sultan has a number of capable men under his command, and would not send an incompetent to carry out such a duty."

"So you believe the Turcomen act without orders from their ruler, then?"

"That seems the most likely explanation to me, your majesty. I have gotten the impression from the court dealings in Baghdad that the Sultan does not have as strong a grip as he would like on those tribes that retain a nomadic lifestyle."

After digesting this for a moment, you ask him one more question: "What do you expect from him in our meeting?"

Paulus considers this. "Alsp Arslan is an honorific that means 'Valiant Lion.' On the battlefield, he is wily, but in diplomacy, he is more straightforward. He has no dislike for you, your majesty, though probably no love, either. He tends toward honesty and will expect the same in return."

After dismissing him and tucking yourself in, your mind starts playing with images of lions wearing turbans, leading to peculiar dreams when sleep finally takes you.

The meeting takes place in a tent loaned by yourself, halfway between the two camps. You discuss things through your emissaries, and decide that each party will be allowed to bring one translator and one bodyguard. In your case, this will be Paulus and Oksandr. Your servants, after pitching the tent, leave it to the two leaders and their accompanying retainers. Considering his reputation as a warrior, you're surprised to find that Alp Arslan is only of average height, though he has a regal bearing and his long Turkish moustaches lend him a certain Eastern majesty. He appears to be in his mid thirties. His bodyguard is a large Turk carrying a sabre; his translator appears to be Persian. Both look at him with obvious respect.

"Well met, Michael Ducas of Rome," he greets you through his translator, who speaks Greek with an archaic accent. "You have requested to speak with me, and I have come. What does my illustrious neighbor wish to discuss?"

It seems that it's largely up to you to set the tone for the meeting.

1. Start off with some polite conversation. Try to impress him with your good manners and a discrete display of your learning before you start discussing the important things.

2. Try to get to know him personally. Tell him a bit about yourself and try to get him to return the favor. Try to get on friendly terms with him. Maybe you can establish a rapport.

3. Present the issue at hand: Turcoman immigration. Small talk would only waste time and might irritate him.

4. Tell him about the attack made on your way here, and ask that he apologize on behalf of his countrymen. He should take responsibility for their actions, and maybe you can guilt him into giving you favorable terms.
    ~Epictitus

(If I might be so bold Vykke, I would like to say I love your style of writing. You do not dumb down what you mean, and I think you have a gift for setting the mood by describing the surroundings and personages you describe. Well done!)

Back to the matter at hand... I think the list version will work the best for me here.

1. He is a Turk afterall, but he is scarcely from the steppes. It is the custom amongst Arabs (has been for centuries, now and back then) to start with polite conversation first. But, I believe this is the way to go. You do have time to waste afterall (how long can this possibly take? maybe half a hour?). Growing up in a 'civilized' court (compared to what his recent ancestors had I am sure) would have given him an appreciation for learning and polite conversation, even if he has no love for it. He also started out very formally, so I believe that would lead him to expect some 'fluffy conversation' to start with as well.

2. Great idea! But too darned early! A personal rapport with this man would do wonders for both empires, and would cause every other empire and petty-princedom in the region to quake. You are Emperor of a body that has been around for thousands of year. Everyone knows this. Alp is Sultan of a vibrant and powerful nation himself. I think a personal rapport is a dream... but perhaps not too unreasonable?

3. If he wants to get right to buisness (as this topic implies you do first), I believe that he will take it down this path ASAP (well... as soon as polite in his own mind I am sure). He is a soldier, but he is also a statesman. He has to know why you are here, and I believe he will get to it when he is fully ready.

4. NO! Bad Manuel! Bad! Don't go around trying to force a soldier to do something. That doesn't work well for anyone. Maybe he did order it, maybe not, but if he did, I am sure he will be shamed by its failure, and would not like you to rub it in his face. Guilt him? HA! That doesn't work with me, so I can only imagine how that would work for a man with more steel in his spine than I have.

I pick 1. Nice, easy way to begin what could be a crucial conversation. You command an Empire... but he has been around longer (if not by much...) at the helm of his own state. Let seniority have its due. There is no need to be servile or obseqious, but don't be rude, regardless.

And Vykke, I am very interested in how you describe a conversation between a couple of heads (literally!) of state. This should be interesting. I am excited.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

As much as option number 2 seems like it could have great potential, I think option 3 is the way to go. It is the most forthcoming. After some kind of a resolution is found, I would then proceed with number 2. I would try to boil the whole thing down as a "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" situation - I'm sure he has issues aplenty with his unruly chieftains as well.

As for details, I think a compromise coupled with a decree that any more attacks upon Imperial soil be both a declaration of war on the Byzantines and autonomy from the rest of the Sultanate. This would wash the Sultan's hands of any problems arising when Imperial troops are sent to crush the offending tribe.

As for the refugees...well, in a perfect world, I'd promise them fertile lands in Sicily - that's where I think we should go to war. Peace on the home front will make this possible.

To recap, then, action number 3. If possible, during or after the conversation, number 2 would be a wonderful bonus.

Oh, and if things go well, give his ambassador at Constantinople a nicer suite.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

I don't see why 1 and 3 can't go together; basically, general politeness and relevant smalltalk. Politeness is a must, but the Sultan has also made it clear in his opening statement that he's there for business. If a combination isn't possible I'd go for 3, but definitely in a polite way.

2 sounds great, but both leaders need to know they can trust and respect each other before such things are possible, probably particularly in the case of the Sultan. 4 is a bad move.

And slightly OT, this is an excellent story Vykke! Lots of interesting choices, and a well written account which evokes the feel of the times.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast