Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate History: Michael's Crucible

Default Alternate History: Michael's Crucible

I know this is kind of an unusual first post for a member; usually I'm content to just lurk and listen to the informed discussions that go on around here, but this looked like so much fun I decided I had to try it! The character you'll be playing is Michael VII of Byzantium. IRL, his rule was a disaster, but just maybe you can change that.

This is an interactive history thread in the vein of Kraxis' "Antiochus' Dilemma." If you aren't familiar with how those work, then here's the lowdown: it's basically going to be me making up a situation and presenting you with choices, and then anyone who posts in the thread (fast!) can decide what choice is made. I'm going to try to keep this pretty historical, but I'm going to have to make up some stuff too. So don't be too surprised if I interpret a character's personality differently from the way someone else did, or if I end up just making up some battlefield geography. A disclaimer: Since it's impossible to test what would have been the right choice in a historical context, basically the "right" choice will be whichever one I feel would have been best. So it's going to be somewhat subjective; there's no help for it.

There's going to be a few differences from the way Kraxis ran his thread:

1) The first three to reply get a say in the choice taken. A tie is settled in favor of the first poster. Effectively, this means that the first poster gets the decision, but the two people who post after him can override him if they both agree on a different choice.

2) I'll probably be posting a bit less frequently than Kraxis (especially on weekends, when I probably won't post at all). Sorry in advance, it's just how my schedule works.

3) Because of the nature of the character you'll be playing, the choices could well end up focusing more on politics and administration than military strategy. Naturally, though, you can choose to take the field yourself and dive into the military sphere if you wish.

4) Because the character starts the thread as co-emperor with his brother and his mother (the Empress Regent), you do not necessarily have absolute control over your realm. They may well make decisions you don't like, and you'll have to live with it, unless you obtain sole sovereignty through your choices.

All right, let's go!

You are Michael VII Ducas, Emperor of Rome, or at least what's left of the Roman Empire in this year of 1067. Your father, Constantine X, passed away only weeks ago from illness, leaving his empire to you (his eldest son), and Constantine the Younger (his third and youngest son). His middle son, Andronicus Ducas, does not wear the purple because he failed to pass a political test set before him by his father. You passed it easily. Constantine the Younger did not have to take the test as he was born after your father was given the throne by Isaac I Comnenus. Your father put great value in your mother's wisdom and left the empire in her care as regent until such a time as the two emperors were ready to govern. Although you are in your majority, you have so far not been particularly concerned with the notion of sharing power with your mother, whom you respect. Constantine is still quite young and has been even less politically active than you.

Still, with your father's death it seems appropriate to begin to take part in the management of your empire. You find, however, that you have been out of the loop for a long time; reliable information on the tidings at the fronteir is not easy to come by and your mother seems loathe to tell you everything. Rumor has it, however, that the Turks have been increasing the frequency of their raids into Roman territory, and that the general sent to hold them at bay, Nicephorous Botaniates, has met with little success so far. In addition, talk around the court has it that while your father's efforts to reform the nation's compicated legal system were moderately effective, he neglected financial matters and the Imperial coffers are nearly empty.

Your most trusted advisors and childhood mentors are the orator and philosopher-historian Michael Psellus and your uncle, John Ducas, given the honorific "Caesar" by your father. Both are well-learned and your uncle is a military man as well. Although he holds no formal rank at the present, he has been taking care of equipping and training the military since your father's reign. Naturally, your mother also served as a mentor of sorts and she is considered to have a good eye for economic affairs.

When you express to them your desire to begin taking the responsibilites of an Emperor, your mother asks that the first tast you take as Emperor will be to help her set the nation's taxes in order. "Sad world that it is, we need money to accomplish anything. You've already shown yourself to be a natural financier. Working together, surely we can bring the Imperium back the tax money it needs to restore its greatness." The Caeser makes a similar argument. "Money is our most pressing issue. We need better arms for our troops. You should help your mother, but instead of just filling our treasury, see if you can give any funds you free up to our equippers. I'll handle it from there."

After they depart, Psellus gives a different idea. "While the Imperial finances are important, your majesty, your mother should be able to adequately handle that problem herself. And as much as we both love her, if you want to begin to rule, you would do better to distance yourself from her a bit more. The court will respect you more if they see you act independently. I suggest you go and socialize with the senators, the Patriarch, and perhaps the eunuchs. You are only the second emperor of your line and your family is not yet firmly entrenched on the throne. They will respect your intellect if you let them get to know you, and that will go far toward ensuring the stability of the Empire."

As is your custom, you retire to consider before making a decision. While you are thinking, you are surprised by a message from your brother-in-law Adrian Comnenus. He says that his older brother Manuel, a renowned general, has said that he would be pleased for you to grace him and his men with your presence at some of their training exercises. He says that the men, commoners that they are, believe that your father neglected them and the military in general, and it would do wonders for their morale if you showed them your personal attention.

Your options:

1) Help your mother with the finances. If you manage to improve your income, you'll set aside the excess for now. You'll surely find plenty of uses for it once you're more firmly aware of what's going on. And there's no telling what emergencies might arise.

2) Help your mother with the finances, but immediately divert any new revenue to John Ducas' ledgers, which he'll use to upgrade the men's equipment. This isn't something that can wait any longer than necessary.

3) Woo the court. You need these people on your side, and maybe you'll find out a bit about potential rivals, too.

4) Accept Manuel's invitation. Maybe if you start immersing yourself in military culture it'll start making sense to you. And the morale boost would be helpful.
    "All philosophy lies in two words, sustain and abstain."
    ~Epictitus

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: Alternate History: Michael's Crucible

I think 4
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

4. War Is About Finances.
    VAE VICTUS-PaNtOcRaToR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi says
    Honour is that which preserves the dignity of the human spirit.
    It’s how you treat people, that makes you an honourable person.
    Not how many battles you win.
    The glory of your victories will soon be forgotten.
    But the kindness and respect you show for others, will not.
    So is there really any honour in Total War games?
    No.
    But there is in some of it’s players…

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Hard choices. Indecisive as I am, this is even harder than normal.

Let's look at the four choices:

1. Though finance is certainly of prime importance in this age (the Seljuks are coming...) the mother seems untrustworthy in her act. After all, looking at the legendary Byzantine tradition of dynastic disputes and court corruption, it would be wise to distance yourself from your mother. Though common sense dictates that trust in your family is the key; the Byzantine history disproves that, very often. If you follow this course, she may as well consider you just a puppet. An expendable puppet, that is.

Not this one.

2. While it is wise to establish a strong military for future campaigns, putting money into John Ducas' hands like this is sealing your own fate. He would likely rebel as he is also a legitimate member of the Imperial family, and seems to have the military in his pocket; otherwise, if you pay him like this, he will CERTAINLY have the military in his pocket now.

A disastrous choice.

3. To woo the court is the perfect Byzantine tradition, again. The pros are that you would've learned much about the political situation, gain potential allies, and discover potential foes. However, this act would clearly alienate yourself from your mother; as she won't tolerate such political moves and immediately sees you as an enemy, something that you cannot afford, for now. Also, looking at history, this Byzantine tradition brings the empire nowhere. Leave the court intrigues for now; you need a capital to broker a deal; a capital like an army of men with swords to back your word, that is.

Not very wise.

4. While it would be quite risky that the renowned general Manuel could betray you, he might as well be a better ally than the entire court of Constantinople combined. The Roman empire was held up by its military, while succumbed to court intrigues and petty betrayals; you would be wise to establish support of the military. Roman history confirms that no one holds more power than an emperor with the army that backs him. The familiarity of the Byzantine military culture and the men who will soon fight for you is of immense value for future wars; future of the empire. Besides, it is unlikely that your mother would consider this action as an offense since it is only natural that an emperor would be the man to gather support of the army. She is a woman, and she knows it is unlikely that a woman in history (omit Jeanne d'Arc) could control the respect of the army like a man. Your value for her would increase as much as your threat that she should tolerate an increase in your power. She may think of you as a potential strong ally this way.

Though not a perfect choice, is the most sensible one.

I vote 4, just like the people before me.

P.S. Welcome to the .org Did you have fun lurking?
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 08-26-2005 at 06:31.

Thanks for the sticky!

Sure did! Lurking is undervalued. ;)

Although playing soldier sounds like the least interesting of the paths suggested to you, sometimes it's best to throw oneself headlong at his failings, and thus overcome them. Your teachers and mother are clearly surprised at your choice, though John Ducas, at least, seems to find it a happy surprise. "A good decision, your majesty. Developing some popularity with the rank and file could do wonders to help their spirit."

The next day finds you at the barracks, overlooking a number of men carrying sharp objects who are undergoing some simple drills. You are met by Manuel and Adrian, who is more of a courtier than a general, though he comes from a military family and seems to be quite comfortable dealing with soldiers and speaking of military matters. Manuel is a charming fellow who thanks you for your attendance and graciously offers to have them perform any drill you request of them. You, naturally, have no idea what would be appropriate, and with equal grace put the decision back in his hands.

The men seem honored by your presence, and let out a hearty cheer. They cheer more when you shock your hosts by offering to take part in one of their physical conditioning drills. It proves to be a vigorous workout, and it isn't long before you begin to have trouble keeping up with the men. Luckily, Adrian rescues you by inventing a pressing issue of state for you to attend to, before you drop out of the exercise and embarass yourself.

You visit the barracks regularly over the course of the season, occasionally taking part in the simpler exercises. One man, a veteran named Eusebios, is assigned to serve as your page whenever you dress in military gear to participate. After dealing with him a number of times, you ask him: "What generals have you been assigned to, Eusobios, and what did you think of them? I'm merely curious," you add when he hesitates. "I promise you, you make speak freely. Your words will reach my ears alone."

"Well, your majesty," he says, unhappy to be on the spotlight but obliged to answer his lord's question, "I've served under several of your many generals. Right now, it's Manuel, as you know. They say he has a gifted mind for strategy. His men like him, sire, myself included. He has served the Empire for years, and I believe him loyal to his family and country."

"Very good. Anyone else?"

"I've also served under Crispinus the Frank," he says, referring to a general who is currently stationed in Bari, the Empire's last stronghold in Italy. "I had the pleasure to meet him personally several times, as well as see him in battle. His prowess in battle is awesome. As a leader and tactician, I believe him capable. As a man, he is honorable but mercurial, quick to take offense and quick to forgive. I've served under Romanus Diogenes as well, when he drove back the Pechenegs for your father. He, too, is a brave man, and aggressive on the battlefield. I must tell you that his temper and arrogance are not admirable, but, if I may say so, our precious Empire has few other generals willing to move headlong into the teeth of the enemy."

You recieved word just yesterday evening that Diogenes had been arrested on charges of consipiracy against the Empress Regent. You decline to mention this to your servitor, however, preferring that he continue to speak. "Have you served under anyone else?"

"That is all, my lord. I can tell you nothing of Nicephorus Bryennius, and of Nicephorus Botaniates all I can tell you is what every soldier knows: he is a most experienced general and some say he is the best to serve our Empire in our time. Of course, I like to think that Manuel bears that honor," he says. He hesitates again, and after some more encouragement, tells you, "Rumor has it that there is a rivalry between Botaniates and Comnenus, but one never knows the truth behind the barracks grapevine," he adds, not wishing to be accused of spreading gossip.

On the domestic scene, your mother has, like she expected, found a number of tax evaders among the upper classes and inefficiencies in the tax collection system. Still, correcting these problems produces only a modest increase in revenue. She has set aside these extra denarii for use another day.

Later, the Caesar calls a meeting of military minds in order to settle matters of recruiting. You ask to attend, as do all three of the generals currently residing in Constantinople. While any army should contain a reasonable balance of troops, it might be wise to emphasize the recruitment of certain troop types. Talk around the table hovers a bit on the adversaries your army will be facing; most agree that the Turks will be the greatest threat, though it's noted that previous victories over the Uze and Pechenegs were far from total, and that the Normans under Robert Guiscard have already taken part of Sicily and, though there is peace at the moment, may well decide to take the rest someday.

John Ducas says his piece first. "I think barbarian mercenaries are our best bet. The Pechenegs have fought well for us in the past, and we have a few in our army already. They are excellent horsemen and mounted archers, and eager to serve for Roman coin."

Manuel disagrees. "I believe we should draw from our own pool of strength, your majesty. I know of several units of foot archers that distinguished themselves in service of the Bulgarian theme during the wars with the Pechenegs and Uze. If you request their transfer to Imperial command, they could prove useful."

Your uncle provides a second opinion. "If you'd rather use our own troops, I'd prefer we recruit Macedonian spearmen. They're good, Romanized people and should be quite loyal."

Bryennius has another plan. "There are a number of Armenian refugees who fled after the conquest of their homeland by the Turks during your father's reign and are now living in Phrygia. If you recruit them and equip them as light infantry, they will fight hard to win back their homeland in the event of war with the Sultan, and may make valuable scouts in conflicts in the East, as well."

You, however, think back to what Eusebios said about Crispinus' uncanny military prowess. The Franks are well-known for their skill and fighting spirit. The Empire already employs a few Western knights-errant (Crispinus being such a one); perhaps establishing a larger force of them would lend the cavalry strength needed to turn the tide of battle.

As presiding Emperor, it is your decision to make. You may choose up to two troop types to focus recruitment on.
    ~Epictitus

I suggest that you hire the Bulgarian archers. They are already in the service of the empire, so their loyalty is certain. And they will keep Turkish horse archers at bay.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

I should probably let you know what sorts of troops are already under the Imperial banner. Currently, your army is composed to a large degree of mercenaries: Russian, Georgian, and Frankish spearmen total about 20,000, plus about 10,000 light infantry, mostly Crimean Goths and Bulgars. For native troops, you have about 8,000 each of skutatoi (pikemen with archers mixed into the formation) and menavlatoi (lightly armored men with heavy javelins). The Varangian Guard number roughly 3,000. In the cavalry sphere, you have about 5,000 Pecheneg horse archers, 8,000 light and medium lancers (mainly Khazars and Alans) and 4,000 Imperial Tagmata heavy cavalry with bow and spear, plus a few hundred Norman and French knights.

This doesn't count the troops raised under the theme system (sort of like a Byzantine feudal system, with local leaders contributing troops to the Emperor's command in an emergency). In a pinch, you'll be able to draw on some of them as well, but you don't have much control over who they recruit or how they train them. Most will be of low quality.
    ~Epictitus

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

I think that it would be best to hire the Macedonian spearmen and the Armenian light infantry. The former would be most useful against the Normans and the latter against the Turk, the two greatest threats to the Empire.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pechenegs and Bulgarians. You need light cavalry against the turks and archers to protect your cities.... The others are fine, but you can always train peasants to serve as spearmen....
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Foot archers and light infantry are the most effective counter against HA. They can just shoot better.
    www.thechap.net
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

You need to hire Pecheneg mercenaries, as they are effective horse archers. Cuman light cavalry, as light cavalry, with a devastating charge.

Armenians are a good addition, but they can dezert fast because they don't love the Greeks(Manzikert is the best example).
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Bulgarians are most needed for sure. They can counter Turkish horse archers with their own rain of arrows and are useful in any other battles otherwise. They are also more loyal than most, being veterans of the Empire. A worthy choice.

Recruit these archers.

While having horse archers is always useful, I don't really see their uses for now. These men, equals to the future enemies Turkish horsemen as they may be, are not going to be very loyal (except to your money) and your treasury isn't very deep just yet to ensure their loyalty throughout. You already have some of them, too. Besides, possible war in Italy makes them less useful, since horse archers don't do well in the mountains of Greece and the hills of Italy and Sicily, as Attila's campaign into Italy itself shows.

We don't need the Pechenegs.

Frankish knights, powerful heavy cavalry as they were, are proven to be of disadvantage against lighter cavalrymen in open space - in Anatolia. Crusades, anyone? Also, remember the Fourth Crusade; the Franks are not to be trusted, especially if any of us harbors any future ambitions for Italy. Also, the Franks would probably side with the Normans in case of a conflict.

Not necessarily the best choice.

However, now comes two quite equally useful choices: the Macedonian spearmen or the lighter Armenians.

Macedonian Spearmen:
    pros - loyal, tough, and are useful counters of the Norman heavy cavalry.
    cons - practically useless against the Turks. But may be they'll serve as good garrison.

Armenian Light Infantry:
    pros - scouting capability, flexible, useful against the Turkish horde
    cons - disloyal, for sure, and are useless against the Normans.

I'd choose, with risk, the Macedonians. The Bulgarians can counter the Turkish horde (and you already have some other units, as well) and we need some loyal "core" of the army that will not break in tight spot, especially against the Norman knights, while the Themes in Anatolia may provide some of the light infantry needed in case of the Eastern conflicts.

Let the descendants of the legendary Alexandrian phalangites return to the battlefield once more. :) Recruit the Macedonians.

Hence my choices: Bulgarian archers (I love the MTW brigands ) and Macedonian spearmen.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 08-26-2005 at 23:26.

The Macedonians only against the Normans.
    Against the Turks they are useless.

If you don't have Pechenegs, how are you gonna kill the HA?!
    Archers are not enough. Parthian cavalry. (see: Parthian shot)

The Armenians are not loyal to the Byzantines. They desert fast.

Franks. Why do you need franks?! Don't you have the famous Byzantine cavalry, composed of Klibanophoroi?!

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

But our treasury (okay, Byzantine treasury ;p) are still not strong according to the description and these Pechenegs are mercenaries; you need gold to ensure their loyalty to the end. (We also got some of them already, 4000 and also 8000 "steppe cavalry" in MTW terms) The HA's in reality are also useless in mountainous Greece and hilly Italy. The Macs can do wonders against the Norman knights (think of them as less heavy predecessors of the Swiss) and they serve as a loyal and tough garrison in to hold key locations in Anatolia. The description Vykke gave us about Byzantine military shows no tough core infantry save for 3000 Varangians. The HA can't really fight an archery duel against the Bulgarian archers, and they can't charge them down if we have Macs guarding them. Then the cavalry can go on mopping up. Also, we can at least rely on the Themes in Anatolia to give us some light infantry/cavalry for more maneuverability.

Edit: Also historically (as at Manzikert) the Pechenegs and the Franks are untrustworthy and the former betrayed Byzantium for their Turkish cousins while the latter did not participate in the battle and just fled the war.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 08-27-2005 at 04:54.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Also historically, against the Turks, the Byzantines would draw their troops up, and have their archers with LONGER bows, engage in an archery duel with HA. If the HA attack, then ride in with light cavalry and kill them all!!!
    (Look up Roman tactics on Google)
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Default Admit it, you knew it was coming...

Manuel's suggestion sounds very appealing, especially considering that you know these are already quality troops who've seen battle before. You decide to focus as much as possible on building that strong archer contingent that will turn the tide of battle in your favor. The general smiles and makes arrangements to personally present to you the new archer units as soon as possible. Unfortunately, it turns out that the bowmen Manuel had heard of are only 5,000 strong all together. At your urging, Manuel and the Caesar do some more recruiting among the Bulgarian population in order to fill them out to a potent 10,000 while allowing an even mixture of veteran and green soldiers in each unit. The Caesar also manages to scrape up the funds to hire an additional 2,000 skutatoi, bringing your total to 10,000.

Training of the new soldiers begins immediately, and you drop in now and then to supervise, but you begin to feel a need to enjoy yourself with some of your old pursuits, to immerse yourself in literature at the palace library or indulge yourself in engaging conversations with the clever philosophers and inventors of your people. After all, from where does wisdom come? Not from the sword, but from the pen. That thought strikes you as remarkably poetic, and you have sat down to compose a suitable iambic when your mother enters your room suddenly. She is remarkably agitated, but you can't tell what emotions are clamoring in her heart - there seem to be several. Old Psellus follows her in, his face ashen.

She sits down on your bed, where you were resting in happy contemplation a moment before, and when she speaks it is in a very formal tone. "My Emperor, best of my sons. Rise up, and meet your step-father." You stare at her in disbelief as she continues. "I have chosen Romanus Diogenes to be my husband. Although he takes the place of your father, he will be a subject, not a ruler. I, your mother, have bound him in writing to observe this arrangement. And with his able help we will again elevate our great Empire into one that will inspire wonder in all her neighbors!"

"He waits downstais, before the palace doors," she tells you after allowing a moment for the announcement to sink in. "We have secured the Patriarch's approval; the marriage will take place immediately. Come, my Emperor, and greet your step-father with open arms."

Psellus says nothing at all but looks at you imploringly, probably hoping you will talk her out of this. In your confusion, several possibilities come to mind:

1) Go along with it. It sounds like her mind's made up, so there's no sense in arguing with her. You remember thinking that the evidence of his treason did seem less than convincing, and who knows, she might succeed in turning an enemy into a powerful ally.

2) You are not foreign to the skills of debate, and your mother has always seemed so intelligent. Surely she won't marry a man who plotted her death! You must convince her to see reason!

3) Seek out your uncle and ask him to help you stop this fiasco. You know he dislikes Diogenes, and with his backing and your status as Constantine's heir, you should be able to avert this with law or force, whatever is necessary.

4) Seek out Manuel. You've built up some good will with him, and your mother and "stepfather" are threatening your rightful inheritance! Such a situation calls for drastic action, even if it means bringing an army to the palace gates.
    ~Epictitus

Gosh. This is harsh!

Very well, she's going down one way or the other. Disregard 1 and 2; she's certainly plotting against you.

As the first chapter provides you with the support of the army, the woman is looking to the traitorous-but-skilled general as an alternative to your support and a balance to your newfound power. She has to go; otherwise you'll go; or the civil war will ruin your chances in foreign conflicts.

So it's 3 and 4, but I know nothing of the mentality of your two supporters. Will Manuel comes to support you with his forces if he heard the situation and how you pledge your case to Caesar, or will Caesar supports you if you rally Manuel and practically besiege the palace? Both people's loyalty are, from what I see, strong. So it's quite hard to judge their actions though you can count on both ways to gain at least one supporter.

I'd go for three, however. Drastic actions may take place in the next chapter if diplomacy and influence fails. Let's hope Manuel will be wise enough to join you.

The fourth action may alienate your mentor and uncle and the court. It's not very wise to risk civil war in such dangerous times. The third will at least garner his support and probably useful advice. In fact, after you meet with John Ducas "Caesar" you may even go on rallying the troops now that he's assured that you recognize him first. This is actually the way I see as the best.

I choose choice 3, but would change if other people shows the mistake in my judgement in time. :)

I know this mother is really going to be a problem, but I can't believe it's this fast. lol, it caught our young emperor off-guard.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 08-27-2005 at 09:18. Reason: to add more points; to clarify my hasty post; to seal my doom

1. Is a very risky strategy, if not downright foolish. Mothers have not really had a reputation for love in the Byzantine court and she could easily plot Michael's downfall at court.
    2. Is likely to be uselesss. Nothing will probably come of it, however it could be a good primary plan. If it fails you can always use force.
    4. Seems too blunt. Remember, subtlety is everything at court.
    I would go with number three. Your uncle seems a wise man who could be able to divert the situation.
    www.thechap.net

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

You are yourself a courtier, so you should draw on that strength. Go with #3.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

3 would be a good option.
    It would secure your position in the throne with your Uncles consent, as you are a lesser of two evils.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

3 is the best.

There's no point in convincing your mother, and your uncle's help is very good. Psellos is a very wise and clever man, and also Diogenes.

4 would be too drastic, and the army may revolt against you!!!!

Proud

Been to:

You storm out of the room without a word, leaving your mother and Psellus to wonder whether you're going to meet your intended stepfather or not. You find your uncle in his quarters and quickly explain the situation to him. He'd apparently picked up a couple of court rumors about plans for "something big," but for all intents and purposes, he was as in the dark as you. Although he, too, seems upset at your mother's plans, he hesitates. "Your majesty, are you sure you want to stop this wedding? I believe we can, but not without tearing our family asunder."

Your reply: "Regardless of my mother's intentions, an error in judgement can be just as damning as a failing of loyalty. You know Romanus Diogenes. He is not the right man to save the Empire. Such arrogance can only bring foolishness, treason, and the ire of God."

John Ducas nods slowly. "You are right, your majesty. Come to the Great Hall. We won't bow to the likes of him."

As you move, he tells you that you should enter and declare yourself to be in full majority and prepared to govern without assistance, invoking the will of your father. Your mother will then be legally required to abdicate her position as Empress Regent. You can then forbid the wedding from taking place. Meanwhile, John will rally some nearby guards and bring them into the Great Hall where he will then declare his support for you. Hopefully this will be enough to get your mother and the rest of the court to capitulate.

You arrive in the Hall to find it already almost filled with courtiers, family members, civil servants, and ambassadors from nations across the known world. Romanus Diogenes stands near the the center of the gathering with the Patriarch of Constantinople. The good Patriarch, a man appointed by your father, seems not quite able to hide a sour expression on his face, leading you to wonder how your mother garnered his support. Your mother also stands nearby, apparently less interested in wedding tradition than in seeing you and your brothers greet Diogenes. You wait a minute to make sure the Caesar has enough time to get ready, then clear your throat to get everyone's attention.

"I, Michael VII, am now of a fit age to take on the responsibilites of governing the Empire. I thank you for your assistance and service, mother, but they will no longer be needed. By the authority of my father, Constantine X, I am, from now on, Emperor of Rome."

There is utter silence among all those that hear you. Those farther away continue talking for a few moments more, then gradually fall silent as they realize that something is happening. You're well aware that your legal position isn't quite as firm as John implied, because your father never left any stipulations in the will about who would decide when the regent would give up her position. He'd assumed his wife and children would remain on good terms after his death as they had in life. The look of hurt on her face is painful, but you tell yourself that you can't betray someone who has already done the same to you.

"You are not the Emperor, Michael." Diogenes looks ready to cook an ox with his eyes. "The Empress' will is law! You speak out of turn."

"You stand convicted of conspiracy and treason," you reply, "and you accuse ME of speaking out of turn? You should be rotting in your cell."

At this point, the silence ends with a number of people speaking at once. A philosopher-statesman (whose name is John Scylitzes, you recall) steps up and begins trying to mediate, calling for a peaceful resolution. A number of other people start asking each other questions. The ambassador from Kiev attempts to get everyone else to be quiet and only adds to the din. And a man rushes up to Diogenes' side. You have a good head for names, and you recall that this man's is Chatatoures, and that he's a friend of Diogenes.

You are beginning to get nervous when John Ducas' voice bellows across the hall. "Hail, Michael Ducas, Emperor of Rome!" A score of bearded men in heavy scale armor stand behind him as he drops to one knee before you.

This does a good job of resurrecting the silence that the Kievan sought so hard, but it's quickly broken again by your brother, Andronicus. "Hail, Michael Ducas!"

The Caesar's two sons cry "Hail!" as well, quickly followed by Psellus and Adrian Comnenus. Soon most of the rest of the court follows their example. Diogenes and Chatatoures stand stony-faced in front of your mother, who looks on the verge of tears. Diogenes, for one, looks on the verge of drawing his sword, and you uncomfortably realize that if he could reach you he could cut you down easily, but John Scylitzes is still between you and the usurper doesn't seem willing to destroy any remaining claim to moral superiority by cutting down the diplomat. Instead he turns to the Patriarch. "Father, tell us who is in the right! Who shall be emperor!" The priest remains silent, however. Your co-emperor, Constantine the Younger, sits in silence as well.

The Varangians close in on Diogenes and Chatatoures, finally pushing Scylitzes out of the way, and form a semicircle around them. Chatatoures seems to argue with Diogenes for a few moments, then calls to you in an Armenian accent, "You have won, your majesty. We have no choice but to submit to your authority. But I beg that you do not judge my good friend too harshly, as he sought only the hope that was offered to him, as would any man who languished in prison. Your mother, too, sought to deal you no harm."

It seems you face your first choice as ruler of Byzantium. You must decide the fates of your mother, Diogenes, and, it seems, his friend as well.

Your two mentors come to your side. "Your father avoided capital punishment whenever possible, your majesty, and you would be wise to follow in his footsteps," advises Psellus. "I suggest imprisoning Diogenes in reasonable conditions and allowing your mother to continue to live in the palace with you, albeit in a less prominent fashion, of course. She meant well, but was overcome by foolishness. Also, showing mercy will convince the court that you are not a power-hungry tyrant. As for the Armenian, his only crime was loyalty to his friend. If you won't let him go, then the worst you should do is banish him."

Your uncle takes a more firm stance. "I, too, think execution is a poor choice, but there are other ways to eliminate an enemy, and more certain than imprisonment. Have Diogenes blinded, and his companion as well. Then they will no longer be a threat. As for my step-sister, I don't know what her intentions were, but I'm afraid that keeping her at your side now would be too much risk. Have her take a nun's vows, and she will live in peace without posing you trouble."

You may decide on the fate of each person seperately. These are the options that seem to be worth considering (you can't bring yourself to have your mother blinded):

A - Diogenes:
    1) Exile
    2) Imprisonment
    3) Blinding

B - Your mother:
    1) Let her stay at the palace
    2) Send her to a convent
    3) Exile
    4) Imprisonment

C - Chatatoures:
    1) Let him go
    2) Exile
    3) Imprisonment
    4) Blinding
    ~Epictitus

Blog Entries

Diogenes: exile
    Keeping him in prison would only increase his possibilities of conspiring against you in the shadow, while at the same time keeping him close to your mother which at this point is not a wise choice....
    Your mother: Let her stay. You have to make the point that Diogenes was the enemy, and not her.
    Chatatoures: let him go. As said, he had nothing to do with anything....
    Last edited by SwordsMaster; 08-29-2005 at 09:37.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

A3

B2

C3

Diogenes has to be eliminated. The Empress to a Monastery, and the other one, to the prison.

Proud

Been to:

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Well... It is a hard choice given the two who have already answered.

I would prefer imprisonment, but that would end up having him exiled (rule of the first answer), and I most certainly don't want that. If he is exiled he might get a lot of foregin backing, especially amongthe latins. A scary thought of 1204 comes to mind...
    So for him it is my mind better with option 3, though I don't like it at all. A3

The mother...
    Well, she is your mother, she has been married, she has done her job. No need to punish her outright. But we don't know what she might do now, out of spite or out of foolish action. Send her to the convent.
    B2

The Armenian.
    He is a minor noble, he is not strong enough to gather support alone. But if you let him stay with Diogenes he could be his hands and eyes. Exile, perhaps he can go home? C2
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Diogenes should be blinded. He will no longer be a threat if you do so. Exile the Armenian. Your mother, after the sad passing of her husband, will devote the rest of her life to God and her Salvation.
    www.thechap.net

Any mercy for Diogenes on your part is folly; blind him. I support choice 3. He challenged you openly - others may try in the future if they think they may get away with it with possibilities for future attempt.

Send the empress to the Convent - effective and reasonable. She shall be removed from the political field, but you won't bring the ire of God (in the eyes of the people ) by mistreating your own mother. Choice 2.

As for the Armenian, you need to show that you're not a tyrant to the court; and he is powerless on his own. Banish him, to show that law and order still works in the empire, but that you are merciful in judgement. To let him get away with that freely defies legal justice, and therefore your own Imperial authority, even if it is an honourable choice. Choice 2: Exile.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Basically what everyone else said. Blind Diogenes, send the mother to a convent, and the Armenian should be exiled; whatever happens Diogenes should not be exiled, as he is certainly capable of seeking foreign backing for his claims to the throne. In this way Diogenes is punished and sets an example for others, the mother can't be used by political enemies any longer, and the Armenian's freedom shows the emperor's mercy and as he's a minor noble doesn't offend the Armenians like a harsher punishment might.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Blog Entries

But he doesnt actually have any claims to the throne whatsoever. Specially now that the court have officially recognized you as the new emperor. Besides, you know that right now he doesnt have the support of your court. If you blind him, he might get that support (he suffered for his ideas, etc...)

Similarly for the Armenian. You want to reward loyalty, not punish it with exile...

As for your mother, it doesnt make much difference if you lock her up in a convent or not. I just thought that it would be a nice move to show that Diogenes was the enemy, and not her, and that her decision to marry him was just a momentary weakness...

Just as an FYI (because there seems to be a little bit of confusion), Diogenes did not actually marry your mother, she didn't want to start the wedding until you showed up, and when you did you stopped the ceremony from happening. My fault, I should have made that more clear.

Your uncle is right - imprisonment will not suffice for a man as ambitious as Diogenes. At your command, the Varnagians seize the usurper and hoist him before you. "The words of your friend are well-spoken, but you did more than seek reprieve from your sentence. You seduced my mother and plotted to overturn the Empire itself. You have now proven yourself a traitor twice over, and deserve no reprieve. However, I shall take only your eyes, and not your life." You turn to a captain of the Varangians who arrived only seconds ago. "You will take this man to the dungeons. If he has any family in the city, allow them to be the last thing he gazes upon in this world. Carry out the sentence at sundown."

After the captain leaves with Diogenes in tow, you turn to his friend. "You have violated no law, Chatatoures, and are therefore free to go. I suggest, however, that you do not cross me in the future." Chatatoures bows stiffly, watching Diogenes go. Once his friend is out of sight, he turns and walks from the hall without a backward glance.

Finally, only your mother is standing before you. However, the days events weigh on you, and suddenly you find that passing judgement on her now, after all that has happened, is just too much. You can't find the words. Instead you send her to her quarters. After a few hours pass, you write an order that commands her to pack up her things and vacate the Imperial suite that she shared with her father: you will now be residing there, and she will retire to a nunnery on the island of Patmos where she may find peace and communion with God.

Days go by, and as you pick up the reins of government, you begin to realize just how much work your mother did in managing the Empire. The responsibilities of rule now rest squarely on your shoulders; you'll just have to get used to them. Formal letters congratulating you on your ascension begin to arrive as you grow accustomed to all of the little day-to-day decisions.

You are told that Romanus Diogenes has sickened from his wounds, and is expected to die within a week.

However, you have more pressing concerns. Now that you are the one everyone reports to, you realize why your mother had been willing to take desperate measures: Turcomen have begun crossing the border into Cappadocia in huge numbers, both warriors and civilians, and are driving your citizens from their homes. Botaniates is helpless to stop them all with the forces under his command. Whether or not this is being supported by the Seljuk Sultan is unknown - he has notoriously poor control over those nomads. Your mother probably believed that she needed a military man in charge who was willing to act boldly. Obviously, this does not present a flattering opinion of your martial prowess.

Regardless, a military solution seems to be in order. You seek counsel, and get four opinions.

John Ducas urges patience. "We need more time to prepare," he says. "Our army's eqipment is old and needs replacement, and the new recruits need more time to hone their skills. We have a bit of money in the treasury; if we start using it to equip our regulars we will have new equipment for most of our regulars and we will have finished training the recruits in a month or two. In the meantime, we can send some of our mercenary divisions east to help Botaniates."

Manuel also gives his advice, as is becoming customary. "I, too, think we should wait and train, but instead of rearming our troops, we should hire more mercenaries, preferably cavalry. In this instance, we will need to cover a lot of territory in order to protect our citizens, so sheer numbers are critical, and mercenaries are the only way to increase our numbers rapidly enough to suit our needs."

Psellus disagrees with the notion that we must react with overwhelming military force. Instead, he gives a relatively novel solution. "We can incorporate the Turcomen into our Empire, as we have done with many other people since Antiquity. Once pacified, they will offer valuable skills that we could draw upon. To do this, we should temporarily grant money to the themes that are under attack to help them build up sufficient strength to stop the violence. They will be better able to act at a local level than an Imperial army, and that's what is needed. Of course, we will need to send priests to convert them and educate them in our ways. If we cannot stop the violence, we can turn to the army later."

You've begun speaking with John Scylitzes since he came to your attention at the wedding, and found that he sometimes offers fresh insight different from that of your traditional circle of advisors. After you tell him about the situation, he does so again. "Do not hesitate, your majesty. I think your mother believed we should act immediately - why else marry our most aggressive general? - and I believe she was right. The longer we wait, the more invaders will cross our border, and the more wealth they will take from our people." If you go with this option, it might be wise to reserve that money sitting in the treasury for logistical support.
    ~Epictitus

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast