Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: RTW MP Campaign - The game has begun!

Default Re: RTW MP Campaign - Play Now!

The sole caveat, then. It'll work itself out, I guess. Trade agreements would be sooo beneficial, though.

Are you going to join NeonGod?
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 10-21-2005 at 09:44.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus
    But if the AI works the diplomacy negotiation, then people could fraught the system. You use a diplomat, demand 10 of the enemy's territories for a ceasefire, the AI accepts it for the human player, and then the human player has had a deal made he didn't agree to.

But diplomacy aside, this should be an excellent game!
    that can be solved in the diplomacy thread, there players can discuss, and i trust everyone to stick to the agreed terms...and noo cheats

and please lets keep this simple and play vanilla 1.2 or 1.3 with the bugfixermod...this already wont be a fast game but when we will play with RTR its going to last even longer cuz there are soo many provinces
    Last edited by The Stranger; 10-21-2005 at 10:13.

We do not sow.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Could diplomacy be resolved through forums? Perhaps these ones, or a mod specific one. There players could perform deals, either in public or via PMs. For instance, one player states they'll pay 10000 for a particular settlement or for naval assistance against another faction, which would be paid be ordering a diplomat to donate the money; the participants could work out the coordination of the moves, for instance agreeing to abandon a location at a certain date whereupon the other faction moves in.

There'd need to be some rules, but players abusing the system could be weedled out fairly easily; and breaking an agreement, well, that's part of the fun!
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Good. We need more players for the factions though. We don't even have half yet. Alliances are going to play a big part in this.

Edit: Yes, if anyone does cheat, everyone declare war on him!
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 10-21-2005 at 10:35.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

yeah much more players...all advertise guys

We do not sow.

It'd be nice to see some kind of sticky on this. A project of this kind deserves attention.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

I got informed about this too. ( aan umeu)

sadly I don't have RTW (yet)

how long will it take for this to start? perhaps I can join anyway?
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    It'd be nice to see some kind of sticky on this. A project of this kind deserves attention.
    why dont you choose a faction

Drisos, when do you think you will get RTW

We do not sow.

if it's 1.3 then i will play as numidia
    Apprehension and terror are weak bonds of affection; once break them, and, where fear ends, hatred will begin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger
    why dont you choose a faction
    'cause I don't MP due to a complete lack of time, particularly over the next few weeks.

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Well my choice would be that since the whole Senate+3 idiotic kngdom-satrapiespretendingtherepublic should go. It is a SP feature to provide some challenge later in the game since its a MP now I guess we have plenty of challenge so I vote for Vanilla UNIFIED rome. As far as the diplomacy goes I think if Myrdaal could input our real world agreements (thread, chat etc) into the game that would work.

Hellenes
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

na play 1.3 it is installed on peoples that have BI
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Id prefer 1.2 but ill install 1.3 if i have to.

Also the roman thing shouldnt be too bad as technically the roman players arent allied. They can attack eachother if they want. Although the senate will cause a problem.

I wonder if someone could just make up a quick small mod unifying rome and perhaps evening the playing field a bit.

But, then Rome is too strong. Here, the Roman factions will need faithful allies.

actually thinging about it i think 1.2 is the best option
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

Okay, I have a couple of questions to Myrddraal or General Sun.
    General Sun just posted that the mod for MP campaign will be release soon but I have a questions regarding to that. I'm not asking about the game Myrddraal is going to set up right now for testing or something but I'm referring to the downloadable one.
    1) Will the final version (Downloadable one) allow us to pick only 2 factions as humans and others as AI?? I just want to play against my brother and I know for the testing one that Myrddraal is doing right now needs all the factions to be humans so I'm just curious about that.
    2) To play MP campaign with someone will I need 2 Rome Total War CD's?? Like I said we (My brother and I) have 2 computers in my dorm (University) with separate ethernet line but we only have one CD.
    3) This is kind of similar to question #2 but will this MP campaign mod allow us to play as LAN? So actually if this is "Yes" than I believe my #2 question should be "Yes" as well.
    Thanks guys!

People dont seem to be understanding how exactly this works. Correct me if im wrong but the players do not all play at the same time. The first player starts the game on his own, plays his turn, saves the game, and then emails the save game file to the next player who plays his turn and sends it to the next player. That way 17 people dont have to sit online for hours but only need to play through their turn for 20 or so minutes at their own leisure. Of course it could potentially take days to get through one turn as you have to wait for 16 other people to get around to playing their turn but i dont think the turnaround rate will be that bad. And itll also give you time to formulate your strategies and get some diplomacy done as well as allow you to have several games going at once. I personally cant wait for this to be released officially although i think that myrrdraal will have to create something so that players can choose which factions are player factions and which are AI factions so that any number of people can play.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

shifty has the essence of it. The actual mechanics are slightly more complicated, but most of it is handled by the script.

It should be possible to adapt the script to include AI players, but I'm slightly concerned that the AI may make deals with your faction without you having any choice.... I guess a way around that would be to take out diplomats

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    shifty has the essence of it. The actual mechanics are slightly more complicated, but most of it is handled by the script.

It should be possible to adapt the script to include AI players, but I'm slightly concerned that the AI may make deals with your faction without you having any choice.... I guess a way around that would be to take out diplomats
    Can the real life arrangements be imported in the game?ie I agree to pay a 300d tribute to the seleucid leader in exchange of their alliance through the chat/thread can this agreement be imported in the game?

Hellenes
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

That sort of thing would work, as long as the AI isn't involved. Myrddraal, if you want I'd be willing to write up a set of rules for diplomacy among players once I've got some spare time; basically a list of agreements players can make and how to make them using a combination of e-mails/forums/in-game systems (diplomats).

eh...it isnt too hard to kick the senate out of the game. you can have the 3 roman factions as long as you dont have the senate. but what i'm worried about is that there are 3 roman factions...but then again agreements can be made that they wont attack each other headon early...wich i would like

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger
    wich i would like
    I bet you would. Anything to save yourself from getting pounded on all sides...

HINT HINT GAUL and OTHER ROMANS! Smash him immediately!!

To Hellenes, I would imagine that people might be trading real life money for alliances, :P That would actually make things interesting.

For a true MP campaign, we would need to make all the factions equal in terms of strength and ability. IE, make a new mod.

Quote Originally Posted by General_Sun
    For a true MP campaign, we would need to make all the factions equal in terms of strength and ability. IE, make a new mod.
    Well not so much. Differing faction strengths provide a nice playing field for players of varying ability by giving weak players the handicap of a stronger faction. It also brings about more diversity making each faction that much more different in strategy and style than the factions around it. Ultimately i guess it just comes down to the preferences of who youre playing with.

The Romans obviously have the advantage in this. And Egypt, those factions get the best income, which I think will be the most important thing in this campaign.

It's very important to give some kind of income equitity to the map, the Nile region, Greece, and any other huge money makers. On the flip side, give Germania, Numidia, etc better income.

I don't care how you good you think you are, but Germania CANNOT survive pass turn four, and Egypt will cream everything in the middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    The Romans obviously have the advantage in this. And Egypt, those factions get the best income, which I think will be the most important thing in this campaign.
    Your statement is very true. However I propose to you that they will not dominate the game. Everyone knows that these are the strongest factions. Its no secret. But i dont care how strong a faction is, it can still be overcome by the combined strength of the weaker factions around it. Im saying that the weaker factions will join together to bring down a common enemy. Its all a question of diplomacy. Can the weak factions overcome their differences and ambitions to overcome the strong or can the strong divide and conquer. The roman factions as well are not allied. They should be very wary of eachother knowing that eventually they will have to turn on a faction equally as strong as them. If i were a roman faction id consider ignoring outward expansion in favor of eliminating the other roman factions and claiming italy as a very good strategy. One that will have huge payoffs later in the game when i wouldnt have to face them in their much stronger form. The romans start out rather bite-sized even to eachother. Egypt however is a bigger problem as its only neighbors are the seleucids and numidia or in other words just the seleucids. Egypt has plenty of room for expansion, the means to do it, and doesnt need to worry about all of its borders. Yes egypt will be difficult to bring down but not impossible. Especially if Rome and egypt were to go head to head. The question would become who of the two has more allies. Rome has a large advantage over egypt in that egypt's prime homelands are much more accessable. Roman expansion creates a buffer zone of conquered land between its homeland and its enemies. Egypt doesnt have this. I have exploited this weakness many times in the singleplayer campaign by sending an invasion force straight to egypt's homelands rather than go the long hard way through its conquered territory.

I forget what my original point. Regardless im sure you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    I bet you would. Anything to save yourself from getting pounded on all sides...

HINT HINT GAUL and OTHER ROMANS! Smash him immediately!!

I could connivently forget greece and their Asia Minor holdings if they attacked the Romans.(might finance a portion of there campaign if they did this for the right price: maps, conquered province, help in my wars ect.)
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 10-23-2005 at 06:25.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

hooold it...dont get to cocky in here, first i want to know whos who...destroyer...would you care to update the faction list

We do not sow.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast