Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: RTW MP Campaign - The game has begun!

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Default Re: RTW MP Campaign - Play Now!

Quote Originally Posted by General_Sun
    To Hellenes, I would imagine that people might be trading real life money for alliances, :P That would actually make things interesting.

For a true MP campaign, we would need to make all the factions equal in terms of strength and ability. IE, make a new mod.
    I didnt mean that (otherwise we had to break in to a museum to get some denarii )!!!
    As far as the equality goes I suggest that the three idiotic Roman satrapies/kingdoms (they ARE hereditary kingdoms) must be replaced with one ROMAN faction like all the rest of them.
    Also I would suggest a minor mod Hellenizing the dump 12 years old's Holywood mummies aka making "Egypt" a Ptolemaic kingdom.
    Toghether with a income equaliser (in some extent and some with troop upkeep) it will make the MP campaign an enjoyable expereince to everybody.

Hellenes
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

How about the basic premise gets tested first? Whether it works in an acceptable way is most important right now, all this business about which mods should be used or various balancing issues is currently completely irrelevant at the moment.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Rome Must Not Be Replaced With One Faction>>>only The Senate Must Be Dumped...i Dont Really Care How Egypt Looks, Just Fix Ironschest Axemen.

Since The Senate Is Gone, Romans Arent Allied An Can Fight Each Other, See No Problem

We do not sow.

Well these things are still to be worked out. But priorities should probably be making the germans and the Numinidians survivable pass turn 10.

eh you should also worry bout the scythians...they arent exactly rich either

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger
    eh you should also worry bout the scythians...they arent exactly rich either
    Well if we could play the battles they scythians are tough since the whole "horse archers own" thing.
    But I do care how the "Egyptians" look they are OVERPWOERED, dumped down and most important insulting the intelligence of most people that have any idea about warfare and history.
    I agree with the beta testing idea. This campaign wont be to actually win/lose but to see if it works.
    If anyone can provide me with the need of 3 IDENTICAL FANTASY Roman Satrapies in a multiplayer enviroment ill accept it.

Hellenes

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

I have found two other people from another forum to play. Theyve tentatively chosen Dacia and Scythia for the moment. Hopefully theyll be registering and posting here officially soon. I just wanted to do them a favor and reserve their spots.

edit: I know one them is having trouble registering. Apparently it wont recognize his username even though he can log in.
    Last edited by shifty157; 10-23-2005 at 18:33.

I won't play until I know it works etc.

Plus, I'm having a few problems with my computer/RTW/BI at the moment, so on the second go, I'll play.

Quote Originally Posted by hellenes
    Well if we could play the battles they scythians are tough since the whole "horse archers own" thing.
    But I do care how the "Egyptians" look they are OVERPWOERED, dumped down and most important insulting the intelligence of most people that have any idea about warfare and history.
    I agree with the beta testing idea. This campaign wont be to actually win/lose but to see if it works.
    If anyone can provide me with the need of 3 IDENTICAL FANTASY Roman Satrapies in a multiplayer enviroment ill accept it.

Hellenes
    i dont see why not...we should only rule them out when there are not enough people that want to play...since they dont form a alliance anymore they arent as strong as they were

We do not sow.

(The House of Juli) The Stranger
    (The House of Bruti) Ignoramus
    (The House of Scippi)
    (Gaul)
    (Briton) Craterus
    (Germen) littleganon
    (Dicia) KashmirKing
    (Thrace) Shifty
    (Spain)
    (Scythia) Predator
    (Poutus) Destroyer of Hope
    (Greek city states) Hellenes
    (Macedon) King Malcom
    (Secluded(sp?) Empire)
    (Egypt) kingwill
    (Cathrage)
    (Numida) Tedward
    (Parthia)
    (Armarania(sp?)
    If i missed anyone please let me know
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 10-27-2005 at 00:13.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

If Rome was one faction it would be more over powered then it already is with more then one rome they could be fighting aginst each other and weakened. I think strangers idea is good just remove the senete

about egypt: because it is such a rich land it is a target for many factions (sucluideds, numida, cathrage, greece) In single player many people try to take egypt for the fact that it will make them rich and end any financal problems of theres. Also a stratagy i would take if i was playing numida or carthrage would be to distroy it before it can come extremly powerful.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

I'll be Brutii now. Sorry about the change again.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

I would like to be Britannia, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    If Rome was one faction it would be more over powered then it already is with more then one rome they could be fighting aginst each other and weakened. I think strangers idea is good just remove the senete

about egypt: because it is such a rich land it is a target for many factions (sucluideds, numida, cathrage, greece) In single player many people try to take egypt for the fact that it will make them rich and end any financal problems of theres. Also a stratagy i would take if i was playing numida or carthrage would be to distroy it before it can come extremly powerful.
    But the 3 Roman Satrapies are needed ONLY as SP challenge element, they share LOS and most important SERVE NO purpose.
    Who will stop egyptian nile cavalry? A tier 1 stables unit? With a huge size and dirt cheam upkeep? The low tech chariots that OWN autocalculated battles? The Numidians? With just one city and crap troops (in autocalc)? The banged Seleucids? Who have insane build requirements to get some decent units?
    Maybe we should split all factions into three so people that whant to play them all get a slot?(ie house of Argids, House of Aianids, House of Antigonids for the Greek Cities faction so everybody that whant to play as the Greeks gets a share...)
    The bottom line remains that either "Egypt" gets a REALITY check ie becomes SAME as Seleucids with higher upkeep for units, and the 12years' olds' c00l Roman satrapies mold into ONE SAME AS OTHERS faction without any stupid civil wars from 270bc, or we end up with people moaning how "Egypt" 0wnz everybody and the stupid Blue and green romans are everywhere...

Hellenes

dont forget the red...i think that we only have to rule them out if not enough people check in, so we will prolly rule m out.

We do not sow.

But the 3 Roman Satrapies are needed ONLY as SP challenge element, they share LOS and most important SERVE NO purpose.
    Who will stop egyptian nile cavalry? A tier 1 stables unit? With a huge size and dirt cheam upkeep? The low tech chariots that OWN autocalculated battles? The Numidians? With just one city and crap troops (in autocalc)? The banged Seleucids? Who have insane build requirements to get some decent units?
    Maybe we should split all factions into three so people that whant to play them all get a slot?(ie house of Argids, House of Aianids, House of Antigonids for the Greek Cities faction so everybody that whant to play as the Greeks gets a share...)
    The bottom line remains that either "Egypt" gets a REALITY check ie becomes SAME as Seleucids with higher upkeep for units, and the 12years' olds' c00l Roman satrapies mold into ONE SAME AS OTHERS faction without any stupid civil wars from 270bc, or we end up with people moaning how "Egypt" 0wnz everybody and the stupid Blue and green romans are everywhere...
    Hellenes
    About Egypt: There units are overpowered but I think the wealth of the region should remain the same. If I was misunderstood in my post I apologize. I agree that the Egyptian units need to be overhauled. Egypt is a challenge that can be overcome if the right steps are taken.
    The Numidians? With just one city and crap troops (in autocalc)?
    The Numidans can still help.
    Egypt can only support so many armies. Eventhough the Numidans wouldn't play a major role in there defeat they would still help.

The Romans would be over balanced if the factions were allied or they had the whole peninsula at the start. With the way the stranger is proposing it they would be free to fight among each other and somewhat weaken these factions. It is not historically accurate but it is better then a unified Rome being overpowered

Another option would be to give the Greek city states some of the Peninsula(like in RTR). This IMHO would work the best to stop Rome from being overpowered
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 10-26-2005 at 01:18.
    -Stephen Crane

if the egyptians get made into a clone of the seleucids ar at least get made to be slightly greek then i will play as them.

also i vote for version 1.2 since everybody has it and i cant seem to unlock the numidians with the 1.3 version.
    Last edited by kingwill; 10-26-2005 at 10:36.
    Apprehension and terror are weak bonds of affection; once break them, and, where fear ends, hatred will begin.

Remove all the chariots, make Egypt like Seleucia. Keep Rome split into 3 factions. I suggest removing all after marius units for Rome. That way, much more difficult.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

right i have just removed all the egyptian units and given the egyptians the same units as the seleucids except no scythed chariots or cataphracts or silver shield legion. what shall i do about the really poor factions?
    Apprehension and terror are weak bonds of affection; once break them, and, where fear ends, hatred will begin.

Ive started to work on a RTR LIGHT mod whith all units replaced by RTR historical units, Unified Rome, AND the map VANILLA 100%, Unit stats vanilla (except egyptian units and units that have been completely replaced)... The workload is much but if we get toghether its just text file replacement...
    I believe that a Vanilla Light RTR mod will suit the balance and customization of a MP campaign.
    PS Im tuning the 1.3 version
    also here http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/index.php?mod=672 is the all factions mod for 1.3/BI.

edit
    The UNIFIED rome can be restricted to 3-4 provinces including rome, its units can be regulated and with the addiction of greeks in the peninsula they wont be overpowered.

Hellenes
    Last edited by hellenes; 10-26-2005 at 15:04.

Ive started to work on a RTR LIGHT mod whith all units replaced by RTR historical units, Unified Rome, AND the map VANILLA 100%, Unit stats vanilla (except egyptian units and units that have been completely replaced)... The workload is much but if we get toghether its just text file replacement...
    I believe that a Vanilla Light RTR mod will suit the balance and customization of a MP campaign.
    PS Im tuning the 1.3 version
    also here http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/index.php?mod=672 is the all factions mod for 1.3/BI.

edit
    The UNIFIED rome can be restricted to 3-4 provinces including rome, its units can be regulated and with the addiction of greeks in the peninsula they wont be overpowered.

Hellenes
    I would be glad to help if you want me to.
    -Stephen Crane

I have already made a mod to remove all non british chariots from the basic 1.2 game. I also made the Egyptians into a clone of the Seleucids. and doubled the starting denarii of the Germans, Dacians Scythians and numidians in order to give them a chance to last more then 10 turns. can i be changed to egypt please.

can you put the faction numidia under the name Tedward, it says he has activated his account but everytime he tries to reply to this thread it says he hasnt go the priveliges to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    I would be glad to help if you want me to.
    Thank you for your offer this way we/I can finish this quicker.
    TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP:
    Send me your email through PM and Ill provide the so far finished progress.
    What Im doing is Ive copied the RTR folder from RTR/data it includes all skins, models and sprites so Im copying the soldiers from RTR descr_models.txt to the vanilla one and assign the soldiers to vanilla export_units.txt some soldiers will share models (like the RTRpontus heavy javelin cavalry that replaces the vanilla early General for Parthia/Armenia, and the RTRhorse archers) thats pretty much all, now for Egypt its a special case since all faction is completely DUMPED down in vanilla so all the RTR units erase them, with stats NOT from RTR but from the Seleucids.
    Now we have some cases of units that need to be decided whether they must GO or be tolerated like a 12 years' old's caprice:

Dogs:

Pros- Used in battles
    - Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the barbarians
    - Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- Used only in VERY scarce battles, very rarely
    - Regenerate in a VERY unbalanced way
    - Unattackable (just in case we get the battles to work)
    - Romans use them which makes them even more overpowered (the romans)

Screeching Women:

Pros- Followed men on the battlefield
    - Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the Germans
    - Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- Used only in VERY scarce battles, very rarely
    - Didnt fight!!!
    - Look VERY stupid *SUBJECTIVE*
    - Unaccurate cheerleaders in mini skirts from the 70's holding axes like holding male genitalia.

Burning Pigs:

Pros- Used in battles
    - Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the game
    - Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*
    - Are one way to outweight elephants

Cons- Used only in ONE battle
    - Used with VERY limited success (contrary to the game's depiction)
    - Never used after that one battle
    - Regenerate in a VERY unbalanced way (not so much as the dogs but still)
    - There are other ways to balance elephants

Onagers:

Pros- Used in battles
    - Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the game
    - Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*
    - Speed up sieges

Cons- Way out of time frame
    - Grossly unbalanced patriot rockets (proof-No art online games)
    - Historically inaccurate even by 1st Cetury ad standards
    - Even if balanced derive from the classical NOT dominated by artillery battlefield

Scythian Noble Women/Virgin Headhunters:

Pros- Fought alongside men on the battlefield
    - Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the Scythians
    - Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- Used only in VERY small numbers compared to the men
    - Engine limitations forbid their impelentation as all unit must look the same (except maybe for standard bearers/officers)
    - Historically innaccurate look: Same inaccurate cheerleaders in mini skirts from the 70's holding axes like holding male genitalia just with a different skin.

Headhurlers

Pros- The Celts collected heads
    - Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the Britons
    - Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- The Celts would NEVER throw away a trophy of magical importance and honour.
    - Generally a VERY medievalistic idea out of the timeframe.

Arcani

Pros- The Romans had a special force of assasins
    - Like MTW Hashishins the story continues
    - Are "fun" ninjas/nazgul *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- The assasins were THAT ASSASINS not participating in ANY battle.
    - Look like VERY stupid sadomazochists *SUBJECTIVE*
    - Offer nothing more than a small unit with 2 HP on the battlefield

Gladiators

Pros- Spartacus, revolt, gladiators...
    - Are "fun" and cause Ive watched Russel Crow 12345 times on dvd *SUBJECTIVE*
    - Can be used in slave revolutions.

Cons- Spartacus' gladiators fought in looted from the dead Romans weaponry not with Gladiator gear which is USLESS for mass field battles.
    - Offer nothing more than a small unit with 2 HP on the battlefield
    - Engine limitations on changing gear and looting it from the enemy (even if we got them as gladiators at the beggining)

Bull Warriors

Pros- Spanish unit line if quite poor so...
    - Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*

Cons- Look VERY stupid *SUBJECTIVE*
    - Pure FANTASY
    - Plenty of historical units on hand to replace

Scythian/German Axemen

Pros- Scythian/German unit line if quite poor so...
    - Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*
    - They might have had such a unit...

- Pure FANTASY
    - They might have had Jedi knights, Pokemon, and Buffy the Vampireslayer

Druids

Pros- Druids fought in battles
    - Are "fun" *SUBJECTIVE*
    - Give a more distinctive prluralistic feeling to the Barbarians

- They didnt fight with Communist gear neither were chating to support the troops.
    - Might be ONLY used as officers.
    - Not necessary

Hellenes

Ok both of the people i was talking about earlier have a registered username and everything but arent allowed to post. I have no idea whats wrong so for the time being they'll be talking through me. Im giving them temporary names for the moment.

Predator - Scythia
    KashmirKing - Dacia

Both say that they have v1.2 installed though im sure they wouldnt mind a balancing mod if it was made.

Hopefully whatever the forum problem is will be fixed soon. Do we know if anyone knows/is working on this problem?

In my opinion, a balancing mod would be a good idea.

Well, if Rome is unified, then it would be either me or The Stranger. I'll pm him and work this out.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

I'm not sure Rome should be unified, simiply so that more people can play.

Remember, historical accuracy is not the key here, we just need to get the ball rolling.

Once this starts out properly, I'm sure there will be mp campaigns for every mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal

Remember, historical accuracy is not the key here, we just need to get the ball rolling.

Once this starts out properly, I'm sure there will be mp campaigns for every mod.
    Granted. Although we still dont have all the spots filled. Its not like we're having a rush and we have to turn people away. Is someone advertising this anywhere?

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

I don't think so. Feel free to, I wonder how many people in the MP subforums never look here?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal

Its not only a Historical accuracy matter but a gameplay and BALANCE, Also as Shifty 157 said its not like we have thousands of people rushing in, 17 factions will be enough, without the Senate and because its MP I see NO point of having 3 Identical Roman States...
    Feel free to correct me...

Hellenes

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast