Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Civilization IV

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Default Re: Civilization IV

Maybe it's just rotten luck I'm having. FWIW, the two times I was massacred by longbowmen, I was using a couple catapults, a couple knights, and then four or five musketeers/grenadiers (playing as the French).

The catupults launched their loads clear over the intended target and then were destroyed by the arrows. Then the musketeers I think, killed one unit of the defenders before the rest of my army was soundly destroyed by the next longbowman unit.

Oh well. Thanks for the tip Ironside and Simon, I'm going back to finish off these pesky Incas with nothing but catupults, maceman and a musketeer or two.
    Last edited by Proletariat; 01-23-2006 at 14:57.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Right-clicking on the enemy shows the combat stats, bonuses and odds for victory. Can be good to determinate if it was simply bad luck or if you need to do something about the combat odds.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

I'm afraid it was a much stupider mistake than that. I just resieged the same city but this time hit the 'bombard' button with my catapults instead of just right clicking. Biiig difference. Thanks again.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Bombard until the defence bonus is (nearly) zero, then attack with artillery (stack effect), then mop up, works 9/10 times

The one thing I did notice is that Mech Infantry really doesn't live up to its stats, I had those destroyed by some pretty primitive units...
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    The one thing I did notice is that Mech Infantry really doesn't live up to its stats, I had those destroyed by some pretty primitive units...
    Was this after the latest patch? Pre-patch, I experienced something like this with tanks etc as weakened tanks lost their attack power in proportion to their strength ("hit points"). Post-patch, units will always have the same attack power regardless of their hit points - so tanks, mech infantry etc should dish more damage, although they still will be killable.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Was this after the latest patch? Pre-patch, I experienced something like this with tanks etc as weakened tanks lost their attack power in proportion to their strength ("hit points"). Post-patch, units will always have the same attack power regardless of their hit points - so tanks, mech infantry etc should dish more damage, although they still will be killable.
    Yes it was pre-patch. But even full health mech infantry took a serious beating when facing cavalry, longbowmen etc., without any defensive bonuses (or large upgrades) applied.

They took out the proportional strength system ? I actually like it...

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    They took out the proportional strength system ? I actually like it...
    Have you tried the post-patch version? Your modern units still get beat up and fragile. The difference is that now they don't become equal to a previous generation unit after just one scrap. I prefer the new approach, but I have not tried facing down tanks without oil, which I managed to do in the old system - not sure how that would play out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Have you tried the post-patch version? Your modern units still get beat up and fragile. The difference is that now they don't become equal to a previous generation unit after just one scrap. I prefer the new approach, but I have not tried facing down tanks without oil, which I managed to do in the old system - not sure how that would play out now.
    I'll check it out after my last exam then

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678