Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Serialized novel: OFFICER’S HONOR

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Serialized novel: OFFICER’S HONOR

Do you remember this?

Chapter 1

PREVIOUS HISTORY

As Speer talks about the Panther you can see how Hitler is impressed and almost like a little boy when he finds a new toy. He tried to rush past the trouble of the reliability of the Panther, but you jump at it.

"Mein Führer, the Panther is obviously going to be a superb tank in battle, and I woul lov to have it with me when we attack." You turn to Speer. "I urge you Minister Speer, to get as many as possible out on the front at once."
    Hitler looks back and forth between the two of you, clearly filled with joy, but before he can say anything you do what must be done. "I want all the tanks you have at the moment, right now! The problems of the tanks going up in flames for no apparent reason is debilitating, I want that ironed out as soon as possible. And we all know that the best way to test a tank is on the battlefield. Send a lot of technicians as well." Now Hitler is less joyful.

"Wait a second Herr Field Marshall." Ow, when he uses titles it can't be good. "The Panther should stay in stock where the technicians can work on it, and it will remain a secret. It is important that we do not let this advantage slip."
    "If we had time I would agree, but since time is of the essence we must send it out right away. The quirks and problems arise much faster at the front and can thus much easier be corrected, besides the time will not allow the Russians to react to the Panther, now will they need to as there won't be that many."
    "Hmmm... I'm not happy about such a case. Remember what happened with the Tiger when my generals wanted it fast at the front?" You remember clearly what happened to it, though the general had a very small part in it.
    "Yes, I remember. But this is an entirely new case. The Tiger was meant to be a rude shock, the Panther is meant to be a main battle tank, hiding it won't help much really."
    "Very well, I can accept that, but you better not squander them."
    Right then Speer joins in. "But we haven't produced more than some 20 operational tanks, what are they worth? Such a low number would be problematic for the logistics." Hitler of course favours Speer. "I hadn't thought of that, yes hold them back."
    "No... The minor problem with the logistics will be overcome, we are already having several other trial units. What about von Richthofens' cannon Stukas? There are what, 6 of them? Have the Luftwaffe complained about that? In any case, we have to do this. I can't imagine the trouble if we lost some 100 tanks because of reliability in a major battle. This way we risk less, we are already far behind in tank numbers, we can't afford to have all the important tanks break down."
    Speer nods, seeing your argument. And with his agreement Hitler is once again put in a tough spot, he has no more rational points to make. For another couple of minutes you fight Hitler over the issue, going through the entire range of mental states, you rage, argue, begs, urge, demands and even threaten to resign. In the end you are exhausted, but Hitler is even more so. He waves you off with a short comment. "Fine, have it your way!"

Yes, it is stolen from Kraxis
    It is the start of his trip through history asuming Manstein tries to win the war with Hitler. I'd like to go another way, trying to win (or at least end) the war without Hitler.

Please note that I am not Kraxis. So please do not expect me to do a story as accurate and brilliant as he did. I even won't do it as interactive as he did.

Of course I have a rough idea how the story begins. But then, there are too many questions and I am sure I will need your help. And who could help better then the MONASTERIES? So let's have fun!

So my question for the weekend:
    When do you think is the time that Manstein has to make the decision to oppone Hitler?

P.S.: Did I mention that my English isnot very good?
    Have a nice weekend

Moderator, could you please make it sticky? Thank you!
    Last edited by Franconicus; 11-11-2005 at 14:55.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Default Re: Serialized novel: OFFICER’S HONOR

I think we should have him bump into a dissident general - what about Rommel, snatched back from Tunisia, disgruntled with being left in the lurch in North Africa - or one of the other generals in the 1944 plot. That would give him the thought which can be mulled over during operations around Kursk.

If we contribute - do we get to share the movie rights???!!!! - I see lots more long periods of mulling over "what if options" - looking forward to being invoved from the begining
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt
    I think we should have him bump into a dissident general - what about Rommel, snatched back from Tunisia, disgruntled with being left in the lurch in North Africa - or one of the other generals in the 1944 plot. That would give him the thought which can be mulled over during operations around Kursk.

If we contribute - do we get to share the movie rights???!!!! - I see lots more long periods of mulling over "what if options" - looking forward to being invoved from the begining
    King,
    The question today is: When is the time for M. to decide to get rid of A.H.?
    About your share: Of course you will have to share the fees for Kraxis
    And this is your extra bonus: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Karte_Ukraine.png
    Last edited by Franconicus; 11-11-2005 at 16:59.

Great this came soon Franconicus sama! For your question,first we have to create a web around hitler in order to decide when we can end his regime.We should contact trustworthy people.
    BTW if King Kurt gets Ukraina what is here to gain for Kagemusha?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I don't see Manstein having a Damascas moment and suddenly deciding - I see it as an idea which is planted - by say meeting a dissident general - and he grapples with the idea against the background of the Kursk battle. This way, we add an additional collection of "what ifs" - should he do it or not, the dissident general - is he for real or is he a double agent, does M do it off his own back or does he become a figurehead of a broader movement. The Kursk thread was good because, although we all thought we knew what would happen, Kraxis had us guessing to the end - so we should provoke lots of possible directions for the story to go. I'm off for the weekend - look forward to seeing some material on Monday.

As for my share - I can almost see those endless fields of wheat - criss-crossed with tank tracks.
    Last edited by King Kurt; 11-11-2005 at 17:21.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"

Chapter 2

PRELUDE

After your meeting with Hitler you decide not to return to Russia immediately. Now that the offensive is postponed you want to refresh contacts at home. Maybe you can get more support. Further more you want to try to get a better view of the overall strategic situation.

You have another meeting with Speer. He wants to talk about the eastern front. You tell him about the increasing strength of the Red Army and he promises to do the best he can to improve the equipment and supply of your troops. According to his plans the output of tanks and planes will increase significantly in 1943.

He tells you about his concerns about the air raids over Germany. So far, the RAF could not affect the production although the losses among civilians are high. But our night fighters are getting stronger now and Göring told him that the Tommies cannot pay the price much longer. Speer is more worried about the activities of the USAAF. Day attacks could become a problem when 4 Mots start to come in bigger numbers.

Afterwards you have a long meeting with the Inspector-General of the Armoured Troops Guderian. You speak about the events in the last six months:
    November - British and US troops landed in Western Africa
    January - Conference of Casablanca with the demand of an unconditional surrender
    February - the disaster of Stalingrad; then the Soviet attacks on the Heeresgruppe Süd and the success at Charkow to stop the Russians.
    the build up of the Heeresgruppe Afrika
    the operation to take Tunis
    the battle at the Kasserine. Now the Heeresgruppe is heavily struggling in defense.

Guderian tells you that there is no plan to get the soldiers out of Africa. Rommel will give his commandership to General von Arnim. This is a sign that the Heeresgruppe won’t be able to stand much longer.
    Finally you talk about the situation in Russia. Guderian does not agree to attack this summer. He prefers building a good defensive line with strong independent tank formations behind it. That is the only way to stop a Soviet attack in winter and to build a big tank force to respond any invasion of the western allies. On the whole you agree. But you’d rather fight the Soviets in summer than to wait until winter. You still have the idea to destroy so many Soviet armies that they cannot start a new attack this winter. Then troops would be released to fight the Western allies. Guderian give you a warning. He fears that the eastern armies will get into the same trap as they did last year. Exhausted by the attempt to break strong defensive lines crushed by a Soviet counter strike. That is what happened at Moscow and Stalingrad. Once again you realize that Guderian is an excellent expert of the eastern front. You remember that it was him who closed the gap at Kiew in 1941 and captured more than 660 thousand Russians there. He also fought the battle at Bryansk with another 600 thousand prisoners.

Guderian tells you that Rommel will come to Berlin soon. He will get the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords, and Diamonds. Guderian will arrange a meeting with him.
    Of course you also have to meet Keitel. When you visit him in his office you find Zeitzler with him. Keitel does not ask for information about the situation in Russia. He just repeats the point of views you already heard from Hitler. He also starts demanding a total victory in the east and expresses his confession that the Endsieg is near. You start getting bored. Zeitzler is ordered to make a plan for operation Zitadelle. He wants to discuss some details. You invite him to visit the front. He tells you that he is indispensable. When you leave Keitel tells you that Hitler will give you the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves.
    So you meet Hitler again at March 14th. When he gives you the decoration he tells you that you are one of his best generals and that he relies on you. “With generals like you”, he said, “nothing can stop me from beating its enemies and to create a new, shiny Germany”. Once more you feel that he is very charismatic. However, you remember how he influenced the operations in Russia and all the recriminations and insults.

After the ceremony Goebbels and Rommel appear. Goebbels wants to take a few propaganda pictures of Rommel and you with your new Knight’s crosses. After that Goebbels invites you to have dinner with him.

You meet Rommel and Guderian this evening. Rommel tells you about lessons learned in Africa. You hear the frustration when he talks about allied air power. From his point of view the US troops are inferior to the Germans. They lack of experience, spirit and discipline. Their leadership is poor. The German tanks can easily deal with the Sherman. However, this tank is better than the British. The only problem is the allied air power. They attack everything they see. Without supply and air support his troops had no choice but to retreat.

The Italians will not fight much longer. They are tired of this war. He even suspects the Italian Supreme Command to have rattened his efforts.

Rommel speaks bitter about Hitler. He says he had to fight in Africa without support from home. All he received were accuses and stupid orders. At El Alamein he even had to retreat against Hitler’s orders to rescue his troops. Now they are trapped at Tunis and there is probably no way to get them back. They will stand for the next two months maybe but then they will have to capitulate. This will be a military disaster as big as Stalingrad.

Then he calls on you let them know something more about Stalingrad. You say that it is a similar story. Hitler’s orders made the Heeresgruppe Süd stretch their lines and gave the Soviets the opportunity to close the 6th army in. Even then Hoth would have rescued them if Hitler only made them sally. He is responsible for the loss of a complete army. You also report of the defensive operations in spring. You tell them that you had to fight against the Soviets and Hitler’s ideas. One example is the fall of Charkow. The town was held by SS troops. When the Soviets attacked Hitler told them to stay and fight until the end. Everybody saw that this was nonsense and so the SS leader Paul Hauser ordered his troops to retreat. Two weeks later your counter strike took the town back. Hitler would have victimized his SS troops for nothing.

All three of you feel that Germany is about to loose the war. Germany is still powerful enough to stop any attack from east or west. But it is Hitler himself who makes the fight futile. It is getting late and you all have a bit too much of that French Cognac. You start playing mind games. What would be if Hitler was gone. Would there be a civil war? How could Germany stand that with enemies in the east and west? On the other hand, is there a chance to win the war with Hitler? Or at least come to a good end? What would the US do? Would they insist on a capitulation? Or would they even join the war against communism? Guderian says that there is nothing he could do against Hitler. His code of honor as a Prussian officer makes this impossible. You ask him: ”Isn’t there a point were your honor calls you for more than just following orders. I am a German officer, not a Nazi follower. I am committed to the German people.” Rommel says: “Erich, what do you think will happen if Hitler is dead? There will be a civil war. The fronts will collapse. Million of innocent will die. Everything we want to avoid will happen. You will be blamed for that.” “Doing nothing is not acceptable for me. I have to do the best I can to prevent Germany from any damage. And yes, I will take the responsibility for all that will happen.” Guderian and Rommel get upset and when you leave you have the feeling that there is a shadow over your friendship.

Next evening you spend with Goebbels. Once again you realize that he is a fascinating man. He can manipulate the people like no one else. But he is also a brainless follower of the Führer. He has no doubt about the Endsieg. He suppresses the possibility that Germany may not win. You feel that under his false front he is filled with horror what might happen to him when he found out he betted on the wrong horse.

After two weeks in Berlin you feel it is time to return to your troops. At your hotel you meet Sepp Dietrich, commander of the Leibstandarte SS ‘Adolf Hitler’ (LSSAH). He received his oak leaves two days after you. You decide to fly back together. Guderian drives you to the airport. Before the plane starts he takes you aside and says: “Erich, I cannot help. I must follow Hitler. He is my commander. Hope you understand. Once he is gone the situation is different. Then you can count on me, whatever you want me to do.” You shake his hand. “I know, Heinz. Be sure, there will a time Germany needs you; even more than it needs you now.”
    On your flight back to the front there are a lot of things going through your head. Is there a chance to end this war without loosing every thing? Will Hitler find a way? Is Heinz right? Does it make sense to attack the Soviets? Or should you wait? Can you afford to wait while the Amis are getting stronger and stronger? Isn’t it time to end this war by diplomatic means? Will anybody make peace with Hitler? Is there a time when a general has to turn against his leader? And what will be then? Civil war? Will the allies destroy Germany and enslave the population? Will the communists rule?
    Like Rommel said: The dead Hitler is more dangerous than the living one?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    1. How can you convince Guderian and Rommel? Who else do you need?
    2. How can you replace Hitler without starting a civil war?
    Last edited by Franconicus; 11-14-2005 at 09:20.

The seeds are being laid nicely.
    Some pointers:
    1) Guderian looks too loyal - I have been doing some surfing on him and he looks too loyal to Hitler to join any revolt - but he might come in when Hitler was dead.
    2) To stop civil war, Hitler's death should be an "accident". A possibility here is that Rommel was commander of Hitler's personal bodyguard in the late 30's - so some possible links there. Also, Canaris - head of German intellegence - was quite active in the resistance to Hitler - so maybe some dirty tricks personel could be made available.
    3) Looking into the July the 20th plot, there were several attempts on Hitler's life and several small revolts/ coups etc - good link is

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/1148/july.html

This provides lots of details and possible strands/ ideas.

4) For a real wacky idea, how about Hitler's plane being ambushed and shot down by the allies. With info from ULTRA and long range fighters - P38's? - you could come up with a scenario. This is not so far fetched - it was how the Americans killed Admiral Yamoto. When Hitler visits Army group Centre he is only 60 kms from the front.
    5) Another alternative would be Goering - he was nominaly number 2 in the Reich, but if Hitler died, Himmler was much more likely to take over. So what about using him, either as a possible part of the plot or a fall guy as a decoy for the real ploters.
    6) Another sight with some good biographies of German generals is

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/intro.htm
    So food for thought - isn't it time this thread was made sticky?

Nice thoughts! Looks like this is going to be a duet instead of a symphony! But as long as you keep being that inspiring I don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt
    The seeds are being laid nicely.
    Some pointers:
    1) Guderian looks too loyal - I have been doing some surfing on him and he looks too loyal to Hitler to join any revolt - but he might come in when Hitler was dead.
    Maybe you are right. I think he had some quarrel with A.H. and with other commanders, but in the end he was loyal. But I agree with your conclusion. In fact Manstein does not have many alternatives.
    2) To stop civil war, Hitler's death should be an "accident". A possibility here is that Rommel was commander of Hitler's personal bodyguard in the late 30's - so some possible links there. Also, Canaris - head of German intellegence - was quite active in the resistance to Hitler - so maybe some dirty tricks personel could be made available.
    I do not trust Canaris. He is laying his own game. And I am sure that the SD and Gestapo are watching him closely!
    3) Looking into the July the 20th plot, there were several attempts on Hitler's life and several small revolts/ coups etc - good link is

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/1148/july.html

This provides lots of details and possible strands/ ideas.
    You are right. July 20th was a complete desaster. We have to make it better. We have to plan carefully how to kill A.H., how to get rid of the Nazi power, how to prevent a civil war. This is a very difficult job to do. If we make a mistake the result will be disastrous.
    4) For a real wacky idea, how about Hitler's plane being ambushed and shot down by the allies. With info from ULTRA and long range fighters - P38's? - you could come up with a scenario. This is not so far fetched - it was how the Americans killed Admiral Yamoto. When Hitler visits Army group Centre he is only 60 kms from the front.
    Great idea! But I think that it is too uncertain. Hitler did not visit the front for Zitadelle. So we must give him an additional reason. Then he is not so foreseeable as Yamamoto. I might change his plan twice a day. Then I doubt that he will come so close to the front. And if he does how do we get the information to the Soviets. Will they cooperate. Killing enemies commanders is not part of Soviet tradition. They usually kill their own commanders. And even if we manage to get help from Soviets this is propably something a German general would not do! And even if the Soviets attack, the Luftwaffe is still strong and Hitler's plane will be good protected.
    Nebertheless - I really like the idea. Maybe we can modify it

5) Another alternative would be Goering - he was nominaly number 2 in the Reich, but if Hitler died, Himmler was much more likely to take over. So what about using him, either as a possible part of the plot or a fall guy as a decoy for the real ploters.
    I will think about that!

So food for thought - isn't it time this thread was made sticky?
    Asked for it! Did not work so far!

Im going to reply but the questions are so much wider so i need to do little research before answering.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Yeah, it is not easy to free the world from the little tramp!

BACK IN RUSSIA

When your plane finally touches ground Hoth is already waiting. Before he drives you to your head quarter Dietrich says good bye. His unit is already in combat. Back at your head quarter Hoth gives you an overview. According to your instructions the SS formation were pulled off the front and are now operating in the partisan areas. The intelligence expects almost 100,000 partisans behind your lines. They have already a strong impact on your supply and you have the concern that they will become more active when you start your offensive. So this is just a part of your preparation. The SS formations work together with special SS task forces. The SS has cleared an area of some hundreds of square kilometers. However, they have only caught several hundred partisans. The rest disappeared in some other areas.

The front itself is quiet. But reconnaissance shows that the Soviet cart galore troops to the front. And they prepare for a deep staggered defense. The Russian air force made an attack against air fields. 200 planes are crushed or damaged. Obviously the Soviets have gotten wind of your intentions. Again you think of Guderian. Is there really a chance to make a decisive victory? Or are you only going to waste the valuable resources you will need in winter time?

As the front is quiet you use the time to fly back to Germany to have a small surgery. Beginning of April Hitler calls you to a conference to Munich. Kluge and Model are there too. You discuss the situation in the east. Model wants to wait. He says that he is not strong enough now and needs more troops, especially tanks. Kluge and you disagree. You both tell Hitler that the Russian reinforcements come faster than the German ones. Everyday the ratio is getting worse for the Germans. Hitler looks uncertain. You add that the situation in Africa is getting critical. There will soon be troops needed to stop the Americans to invade Europe. Then it is too late to attack in the east. Hitler shakes his head. “Do not worry! It will take months until the Americans and English will be ready to attack us there. Before this will happen we are finished with the communists. Well I have to think about the situation. Go back to your armies, Gentlemen. Keitel will send you my decision.” A week later Keitel sends you news, the operation is postponed.

End of April you return to Berlin. Hitler wants to give some additional instructions for the upcoming operation. Before you leave the front you give Hoth final instructions. The SS division will return to their assembly areas. Two infantry divisions will try to suppress the partisans. Hoth will increase reconnaissance. The last raiding patrols brought more information and some prisoners. Obviously there are at least two Soviet fronts in front of us. There are three fortified lines with anti tank guns and artillery, all entrenched. The Soviets even dug their tanks. Well, your troops are ready to strike and with respect of the Soviet build up now is the time to attack. The Luftwaffe already started her operations. They are attacking the railway net. Further more they are attacking the tractor factory ‘Molotow’, where 800 T34 are produced every week.

FINAL PREPARATIONS

On the way to Berlin you catch Galland, Inspector of the fighters. The picture he gives of the air war is bleak. Lack of planes and pilots everywhere. He expects a heavy bomber offensive over the Reich soon. He is confident that the fighters will be able to stop the Flying Fortresses as long as there are no escort fighters. But he is sure that the Amis will soon have long range fighters. The defense over the Reich is not prepared for that at all. All efforts should be put in an increase of our air defense. But defense does not fit into Hitler’s concept. He only allows to attack and so the bomber program has higher priority than the fighter program. You are really pleased about the conversation. Galland seems one of few who dare to speak frankly. His personal courage is beyond any doubt. Although he is a general he takes every opportunity to fly missions against the RAF or the USAAF.

After your arrival in Berlin you meet with Guderian and Rommel. They tell bad news. The losses of submarines are so severe that the navy decided to stop the missions for a while. New technologies will bring better opportunities - hopefully. The situation in Africa is desperate. The Heeresgruppe Afrika is pulled back to a small area near Tunis. They are under constant air attacks. There is almost no supply coming to them.

You tell about the situation in the east. You tell about the strong position of the Soviets right where you want to attack. Even if you succeed the losses will be too high to compensate. And every day that is wasted makes the situation even more futile.

You tell Rommel and Guderian that you do not want to proceed like this. Your soldiers are fighting for their country. They rely on you. You won’t let them down. If no one else has the courage to do so you will do what has do be done. All you ask them for is to support in case Hitler is gone. Then it is the task of the army to prevent a civil war and to make a peace that guarantees Germany a good future.

Rommel and Guderian do not look happy at all. For a while there is silence. Then Rommel says: “I see! I go crazy when I think that my brave men get lost for nothing at all, just because of the ignorance of one man. Erich, if you need me, count on me!” Guderian sighs and nods.

You have to wait a few days to see Hitler. You play scenarios of what would be if something happened to Hitler.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 11-16-2005 at 15:20.

Guderian and Rommel are finally willing to support you. But it is clear that it is your job to kill A.H.. So what you need right now is a good plan.

1. Kill him in his HQ.
    i) Go in there and shoot him. So you can be sure that the job will be done right. However you really must have a good plan to get out alive and then to keep control of the situation.
    ii) Go there and put a bomb in the room. So you can get out alive. And maybe you also kill some other Nazi leaders. But the result is uncertain.
    iii) Find someone who is willing to kill him. Of course you loose control and have to fear treason. But you will be free to arrange everything. It will be much easier to keep control of the situation after the assassination.
    2. Lure him to the front. There are many ways to kill him there. It could be an ‘accident’. However it is hard to get Hitler to the front. He rather leads from the capitol. And killing Hitler in Russia would mean that you are far away from the capitol. In this case you depend on Guderian.
    3. Forget it! Any putsch against A.H. is too risky!

EB Getai player Member MoROmeTe's Avatar
    Campina, Romania, currently stationed in Bucharest, Romania

2. Get him to fly to the front and leak some info to the Russians. They'll kill him for you and then I'm sure everyone will be behind the General's Triumvirate of Manstein, Guderian and Goebels...
    For my name is Legion...

Moromete,
    Welcome to our story. I need all the help I can get to kill A.H. and end the war!

Lets lure him to the front. Just have to find a way to make him come. And then, how will he be killed? I do not trust the Russian option. First, how can you be sure that this will work. He will be heaviliy guarded and the communication with the Soviets will be difficult. Second, if the other generals find out that you co-operate with the Soviets to kill Hitler - that is the end of your operation. Third, Hitler killed at the front by Russians at the top of his military success - this could make him a national hero.
    Like Rommel said. The dead Hitler could be more dangerous than the living one.

We also should start thinking about the time after A.H.. I like the idea of a triumvirate with Goebbels. We might need a straw man from the NSDAP to keep the SS quiet. However, we must get rid of him when we want to negotiate with the US and GB.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 11-17-2005 at 08:11.

Chapter 4:

MEETING HITLER

May 13th. Finally you meet Hitler. When you enter the headquarter you feel something has happened. You feel tension. Nobody is talking to you, nobody even looks. Finally Keitel comes and brings you to the Führer. Before you enter the room he says: “Be careful. He just received the message that Afrika surrendered”.

Hitler stands among a group of generals. You hardly recognize him. He murmurs about treason and cowardice. He looks tired and it takes a few minutes until he realizes that you stand in front of him. He looks at you: “Feldmarschall, we have to postpone the start of our attack until July. First of all I have to fix some problems in the south. I guess I’ll have to take some reinforcements away from you. Keitel will give you more details later.” Obviously the audition is over. You make a last attempt and start: “My Führer, the situation in the east is getting worse every day. We have to face more than a million Russian soldiers, with 3,000 tanks, 4,000 planes. They are entrenched and waiting for our attack. Everyday new divisions enforce the enemy. If we do not attack them now the whole operation will fail. We have to start right now or forget about it.” You realize that your voice was louder than usual. Hitler looks at you with anger. Then he explodes: “Millions of enemies, thousands of tanks and planes? That is ridiculous. My generals always give me wrong numbers to increase their merits and cloud their incompetence. Russia would be an empty dessert now if all numbers you gave me were right. Your numbers are pure phantasm. I tell you the Russians are whacked. Russia will collapse as soon as Zitadelle starts. You always talk about numbers; numbers of men, numbers of tanks, numbers of planes. I give you numbers, real numbers. For your attack you have the same number of planes and tanks we had in 1941 for the whole invasion of Russia. But you only have to do an operation on a local scale. But still you moan.
    And I tell you one thing: nothing of it all really matters. Nothing but WILL. When I started my career did I count my opponents? No. I had nothing but will and I will dominate the world soon. The will of the German soldiers will make the victory over the barbarian hordes from the east. And it will make them crush the armies of the decadent western democracies, too. So do not waste my time with numbers. If you do not have the courage to follow me to victory then you are not worth commanding my brave soldiers.”
    On the spur of the moment you say: “Forgive me, mein Führer, I am wrong, you are right. How could I doubt? We will win. We will crush the Soviets completely. Will is all that matters. That is true. How often have you shown this that this is true? But please do me a favor. Come to the front! Talk to your soldiers! Inspire them! Let them participate in your will. They love you and they will fight for you. Nothing will be able to stop them then.” Suddenly it is quiet. Everybody is staring at you. You see the furiousness in Keitel’s face. Hitler looks blank. He reflects what you said. Then he raises his head and nods. “You are right, Feldmarschall. My men need me. I will go to my armies and I will lead them to victory.” Abruptly he turns around. Now the audience is finished. You leave as fast as you can. You go directly to Guderian and tell him about your plan. Reluctantly he agrees. When you go back to your hotel you get a call from Goebbels. He is jubilant about your proposal. He tells you that he will make a big propaganda event of this. He wants to talk about details but you tell him to talk with Keitel and his staff.
    Next day you call Himmler and ask him for a meeting. He says that he could arrange to have lunch with you. When you meet you ask for support for Zitadelle. His SS troops will be crucial for success. He promises to do the best he can. Casually you tell him that Hitler will visit the front and that Goebbels wants to make a big propaganda event. At once he says that he wanted to inspect his divisions for a long time. He will come with Hitler. You tell him that you think this is a good idea.
    The following week you spend a lot of time with Guderian, discussing the details of your plan. Guderian also tells you that Keitel wanted to change Hitler’s mind about the trip to the front. But Hitler is obsessed by the idea. He tells everybody that he will be among his soldiers when the attack starts.

Now there are two options:
    1) Stick together, go on and kill A.H.
    2) Step aside and let Kraxis do his next interactive

1) Kill him.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

kagemusha-san,

Thank you for your detailed reply!

I wonder if I go on with this story. I do not want to spam the monastry. And to be honest - soon I'll be at my wits' end!

But alright! Let's kill A.H..

Chapter 5:

ALEA IACTA EST

On your way back to Russia you think about the situation. Although you made up your mind, you are not sure that you do the right thing. Is a commander allowed to decide that the fight is lost? Is it really up to you to try and change the situation? Do you even have a chance? Or are you going to spoil everything?

It will be your job to kill Hitler and to keep control of the front troops. But you have to rely on Guderian to get control of the capital. Can you rely on him? Will he be able to execute your plan?

When you touch ground at Kiev your mind is made up. Although you worry how to get control of the situation once Hitler is gone you see no way back.

You stay one day at Kiev. The town is the logistic centre for the upcoming operations. And you know very well that logistic is a key to success for any operation in Russia. You also meet the town major and the commanders of the air fleets Dessloch and von Greim.

Returned to the front you find everything prepared. The Panzerkorps are in place. The Infantry Divisions are ready. Two of them, however, are still in the partisan area. The Luftwaffe is already attacking the transport network. The Red Air Force responds with attacks against German air fields and railway stations.

The following weeks you spend more time in planning Hitler’s trip than in preparing the military operation. But finally everything is done. The visit is scheduled for June 30th. Hitler will arrive at a small airport 150 miles behind the front. ‘Totenkopf’ will secure within a radius of 30 km. Units of the Flak will protect the air field.

Hitler will speak to selected soldiers of SS and Wehrmacht. Every soldier will have to give his ammo away before he will meet Hitler. Then Hitler will honor some soldiers. Finally there will be conference with the commanders who are part of operation Zitadelle.

Along with Hitler come Keitel and Zeitzler from the head quarter. Göring insisted to join the visit, too. He obviously wants to use this opportunity to make amends – after his fatal error concerning the supply of Stalingrad. Himmler also announced his visit. He wants to join the conference and then inspect the SS troops.

One week before the visit the propaganda crews arrive and disarrange everything. You start for a short trip to Romania. You receive some decorations and there is a lot of press there. You see that you have a very good reputation. People did not forget that you stopped the Soviet after Stalingrad. The Romanian leader tells you additional Romanian infantry divisions are on the way to enforce your Heeresgruppe.

You are back in Russia on May 28th. Himmler arrives at the same day. Then everybody is waiting for the Führer. In the afternoon of the arrival day you get a radio message from the air control at Kiev. They received a message of one of the escort fighters. He reports that the pilot of Hitler’s plane had obviously problems with his engines. He tried to touch down. When he landed the pilot of the escort plane could see an explosion. After this there was no more contact with the passengers. You ask where the accident happened and get a detailed description. When you look at the map you see that the plane touched down in the partisan territory. Fortunately one of your infantry divisions is close. You send them the order to go there and scan the area. Then you call Kiev airport again. They tell you that Hitler was on board together with Keitel, Zeitzler, Göring and some adjutants.

Next thing you do is inform Himmler. When he hears the news he gets very nervous. “Reichsführer”, you say, “We must keep our balance now. And we have to reflect very carefully our next steps. Hitler is missed, maybe dead.” After a short discussion he agrees to your proposals. The whole story has to be kept secret. He will only inform the leader of the SD in Berlin, Kaltenbrunner. Kaltenbrunner will take care what happens in the capital. You will inform Guderian in the army head quarter. Himmler will return to Berlin tomorrow morning. You will stay at the front to find Hitler. The operation Zitadelle is stopped. You will change your formation to defense.
    After that you send a message to Guderian telling him what happened. Your business is at the front. After Himmler’s departure next morning you call for the SS leaders: Paul Hausser, 2. SS Panzerkorps, Sepp Dietrich, 1.SS Panzerdivision (LSSAH), Walter Krüger, 2.SS Panzerdivision ‘Das Reich’, Max Simon 3. SS Panzerdivision ‘Totenkopf’. You explain the situation to them. They are shocked by the eventuality that Hitler is gone. Simon is very upset: “We must return to Berlin at once! We must fight for the Nationalsozialismus.” Sepp Dietrich shakes his head: “No! We cannot do anything there, now. This is the job of the SS at home. Our duty is to fight the Soviets. And this is more important now than it was before.” You agree: “Think what the Russians will do when they find out. And they will, sooner or later. Maybe they know already! We have to be prepared to stop any Russian attack. Gentlemen, I count on you.” You look at the four men and each of them nods. Hausser says: “Count on us!”

When the meeting is over Dietrich stays for a moment: “Manstein, you can count on me. I know you will do your best to save Germany. So regardless what you intend to do, I will be on your side. I’d even protect you against other Nazi formations!” Then he leaves the room.

Afterwards you arrange a conference with all of your commanders. Before it starts you get a message from the divisions in the partisan territory. They found the plane. It is crashed. Everybody inside is dead. The plane exploded when it touched ground. Probably there had been a bomb on board.
    You talk to your division leaders. You tell them the news. Operation Zitadelle is stopped. Your army has to prepare a defensive battle now. The Panzerkorps including the SS divisions will be drawn behind the front. Your infantry divisions will fortify their positions.

Now that you started you have to act fast and decided. Your first goals are to avoid a civil war, to assume power and to deprive the Nazis of power.

You do not have much time. You have to act before the news is spread. And you have to rely on Guderian:

1. Guderian will order tank units to occupy Berlin and arrest the leaders of the Nazi party. Then he will talk to the nation in a radio message.
    2. Guderian will shift the blame on Himmler. He will find leaders of the SS and the NSDAP to support him to arrest or kill Himmler and start looking for his accessories. So he will paralyze the system while keeping up appearance.

It has got to be 2 - if 1 happens all the SS etc will unite to take over and oppose Guderian.
    There must be a lot of divide and rule here to keep people guessing. Also, the SS divisions at the front must be weakened or destroyed - a "missjudged "Kursk operation might provide the cover with the key units being overstretched and left stranded with no support would do - Manstein could even use political interference by Hitler/Himmler as an excuse. The German Army has the strength to keep the lid on everything, provided the SS can be neutered. The other factor could be some form of revelation about the Final Solution - this could be used to provoke a sense of horror in the Army - maybe even use it to split the nazi party between those who support it and those who are worried about the long term implications.

Number two. But Himmler have to be captured before we can announce that he is guilty.If he is loose when we put the blame on him there will be civil war.
    Now is the time to contact the major commanders of Wermacht and prepare to take care of the SS if necessary on one huge strike like the Nazis destroyed their own SA troops in the thirties. Also it would be good to reveal the holocaust so we can really show what kind of Demon SS and the reisfuhrer Himler are.
    If there are more loyal SS commanders like Sep Dietrich those should be used against the other SS. No is the time to move fast and decisevily.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Playing the Holocaust card is a two edged sword. M ost of the people won't believe it is true. And many people would be angry if the Jews, communists and criminals were set free. After all they are still under the influence of Nazi propagande and influence. I think this would increase the danger of a civil war!

I understand your point Franc, but the telling the Holocaust exists doesnt mean that we even can release the people right away, instead we have to chance the camps from concentration camps to refugee camps. And the criminal camps into work camps. One great thing we could establish on probaganda section could be to put Sepp Dietrich in the radio after we blame Himmler. I can see the the text in my eyes already. Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler wants to revenge the Fuhrers death to those who murdered the Fuhrer.
    We could turn this fight between the dead Hitler and Himmler, by using the Nazi probaganda machine against itself.I think this would give us the support of many SS divisions. Let Hitler do something good in death, becouse in life he could not.
    We can tell the thruth later.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Good points!
    As far as I know there was no difference between 'normal' concentration camps and working camps for criminals. They were all disguised as working camps. Most of the Germans believed that all the people in the camps were criminals somehow.
    Regarding Sepp Dietrich: First of all you have to find out if you can trust him or not. After all he is a Nazi and if he finds out that you killed A.H. he may get dangerous. Then he is more a soldier than a politician. He may fight for you but I doubt that you can use him for propaganda.
    I think that you do not time to get all the Waffen-SS divisions and the other formations on your side. You must take them by surprise and have the power before they realize that you are a danger.

We can tell the thruth later. You sound like Gawain!

About Dietrich i base my propaganda plan on this sentence from Dietrich:

When the meeting is over Dietrich stays for a moment: “Manstein, you can count on me. I know you will do your best to save Germany. So regardless what you intend to do, I will be on your side. I’d even protect you against other Nazi formations!” Then he leaves the room.

If you can convince its good for the Germany to turn against Himmler, i think he will do it.
    In the Finnish tribe of Savo, we have a saying that truth is so precious thing that you shouldnt use it too much or you run out of it.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

THE CAPITOL

30th June. When Guderian gets your message he knows what to do. Hitler is gone. Guderian has to get the initiative and “blitz” over the Berlin. Even though Guderian does not feel very comfortable he is bent on doing it.

First of all he contacts Generalmajor Fritz Bayerlein.

At the same time another person sits in his Berlin office thinking about the message he received today. It is SS Obergruppenführer Ernst Kaltenbrunner, chief of dreaded SD. He is thinking about the news Himmler gave him today. If it is true there will be tremendous changes in the country. Hitler dead? Göring dead? Who will be the next Führer? Himmler, of course! If Himmler gets promoted he, Kaltenbrunner, will be promoted too. All he has to do is keep the situation under control until Himmler’s arrival.

The phone rings. It is the officer on duty. He apologizes to heckle but he received just a call from a whistle blower. He told him that he heard through the grapevine that some communists are trying to start a subversive action this night. The rumor says that they will occupy the new Reichskanzlei and proclaim a democratic republic.

Kaltenbrunner shakes his head. Is this a joke? However - if Hitler was killed by political enemies…? Maybe they try to use the confusion for a revolution. Of course they do not have the slightest chance to succeed. The whole country is under control of the SS. But anyway – this might be a chance for Kaltenbrunner to demonstrate his loyalty. Himmler told him not to talk to anybody about Hitler’s disappearance. Alright! Then he will make it alone.

He calls the SD Task Force. 50 men, well trained and equipped, ready to do anything Kaltenbrunner asks them to. He leads them directly to the new Reichskanzlei.

In the middle of the night Guderian knocks at the door of Goebbel’s house. The servants try to reject him but he claims to have very important news. So he finally sits face to face with Goebbels. Goebbels is very confused that the general visits him so late at night and what he hears makes him even more confused. Guderian tells him that the Führer is dead, probably killed. What does that mean? Can the Führer die at all? Who killed him? All his enemies are dead or imprisoned. Guderian tells him that Kaltenbrunner and a task force of the SD was about to occupy the Reichskanzlei. He thinks that there is a putsch of parts of the SS. A putsch? From a group inside the party? That is the only explanation. But if Kaltenbrunner is involved Himmler is too.

Guderian keeps on talking. Together with Hitler there was Göring and Keitel. Göring? He was the political heir of Hitler. So who will be the next in the succession? Himmler?

Guderian challenges Goebbels to take the interim leadership. The situation is about to get out of control. The Führer is dead. His heir is dead. The leaders of the Wehrmacht and the Luftwaffe are dead. Himmler is trying to get the leadership. And one thing is certain: If Himmler makes a putsch without the involvement of Goebbels Goebbels’ life is not worth a dime if he succeeds. Goebbels finally resigns and asks Guderian what he wants him to do. Guderian puts a document on the table and says: ‘Sign this! It makes me the high commander of Wehrmacht and gives me the order to hold up order. It orders all authorities to obey and support me.’ Goebbels signs without contradiction. Then Guderian takes the phone and calls SS-Obergruppenführer Gottlob Berger, head of the SS Hauptamt. A couple of minutes later the man arrives. Guderian explains the situation. He demands him to support to keep order and to arrest the murderers of Hitler. Berger agrees.

In the meantime the SD task force had reached the Reichskanzlei. To their surprise they were surrounded by soldiers of the tank troops. They were arrested without any resistance. After that soldiers of the Panzerlehrdivision PLD occupy all relevant places in the town, stations, airports, crossings and broadcast stations. The PLD was formed just a couple of week ago. It consists of the tank training units Panzer-Lehr-Regiment 130, Panzergrenadier-Lehr-Regiment 901, Panzergrenadier-Lehr-Regiment 902, Panzer-Artillerie-Lehr-Regiment 130, Infantrie Regiment 9. They were relocated to Berlin during the last weeks. All officers were carefully selected by Guderian himself. The commander of the division is Generalmajor Fritz Bayerlein. He served with Guderian and Rommel and both rely on him.

After meeting Goebbels Guderian calls Bayerlein. Soon afterwards tank soldiers guard the house of Goebbels. The imprisoned SD men are thrown into a SS prison. They are guarded by soldiers of the SS and the Wehrmacht.

Guderian is satisfied with the result of this evening. The night is almost gone and his men control the town. He decides to sleep for a couple of hours.

Early next morning Bayerlein wakes him up. He tells Guderian that there was an accident last night. The SS guards heard that Hitler was murdered and that Kaltenbrunner was involved. The guards stormed Kaltenbrunner’s cell and killed him. The Wehrmacht soldiers could not stop them.

Bayerlein has started questioning the captured SD men. When they heard what happened to Kaltenbrunner they confess the conspiracy. Soon there are enough evidences against Himmler. You tell Bayerlein to proceed. You need more names of SS leaders. Then you call Manstein to inform him about the situation.

In the afternoon Himmler arrives at the airport. He is accompanied by a couple of SS men. When the Wehrmacht soldiers try to arrest them they start to shot. The machine gun of an armored personnel carrier ends the lives of Himmler and his men.

1st July. In the evening Goebbels makes a radio speech. He tells the people that Hitler is dead and that he now leads the government until a new one is formed. He also tells the people that the murder is part of a SS putsch.

During the next hours leaders of the SS, especially Gestapo and SD are arrested all over the country. Berger leads the interrogations with maximum brutality. Most of the prisoners confess. Although they claim that they were not directly involved they admit that they knew about the putsch and tell their guards names of other participants, who were more involved than them. So the list of convictable SS leaders is rapidly getting longer.

Now the news is spread. How do you think the Allies will react? Stalin, Roosevelt, Churchill? What about the Axis?

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Churchill and Stalin will not like this at all. A clear enemy is better than a reforming Germany, that might or might not continue the current situation.
    Churchill will also hate this for the possible chances of a civil war, in which case the Russians might gobble up all of Europe easily.
    Both of them can be expected to gear up their warefforts to take advantage of this, in the hope that the coup fails or the new government is weak and thus can't fight well.
    Roosevelt, the naive and gullible man, will be gently pleased with this. He sees this as an end to the most troubling horrors. Chances are that he as a person might soften a bit towards Germany, being perhaps less inclined to accept the heavy strategic bombing.

Japan will hardly be bothered with this. They will stay their hand until Germany is stable, then send their assurances of continued alliance. They care little for internal German problems, as long as Germany is active and an ally.

Italy, and Moussolini in particular will definately not like this. Moussolini has come to depend more and more on the power and confidence of Hitler. He lacks a strong powerbase in Italy, so Hitler represented an assurance of his position in Italy. The Italian population on the other hand might actually be pleased, but they will not likely be more staunch in the war unless the coup is perhaps 'exported' to Italy. Problem is just that Italy lacks any successful commander that can nominally take over, so it seems slim that the Italians will actually continue when the invasion comes.
    A strong backing for Moussolini is likely the best at the moment for our little coup.

Hungaria's leader, Admiral Horthy (yes an Hungarian admiral) will be shocked at the very least. He was relatively close to Hitler, and it was 'only' his personal relationship that assured Hungarian troops would participate in the east. This might change now... Unless good old Manstein can personally meet him and form a new personal bond.

Rumania is a tough one. The leadership is fairly weak, and might feel pressured to leave the war now that the looming presence of Hitler is gone. That can't be good, given the importance of the Ploesti oilfields. A new very friendly and more open relationship might just be able to salvage the situation there.

Finland couldn't be bothered less politically and personally (in regards to Hitler), but militarily it will clench it's jaw. As long as Germany fights strongly, she is happy. So any reaction for the Finns would be more of fear of Germany breaking down. You can expect swift backing for the new leadership from Finland for the sake of stabilisation.

The various localized Nazi parties in the occupied countries will most likely scream murder (fair enough actually), but they will be of little consequence as they have very little backing.

Sweden might actually become more friendly again, but don't expect any great leaps of trust. The Soviet Union is just over the horizon for them, they won't antagonize them. You might expect some unofficial recognition from them (along the lines of "thank God you got rid of that guy").

Switzerland will follow you with great interest. A fair bit of fear from invasion have been present, but with more sane people at the helm she might ralax a bit. But she will still be staunchly neutral, though Swiss volounteers might increase a bit.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

I think Kraxis pointed out the foreign politics very accurately and i agree with him. But how to continue from this point forwards. That is the tough question.
    Now we have the power and and the SS have been neutralized. But the Nazi party is still in power.
    So we need to think how to continue this coup and get rid of the Party. So we need a military coup now. Since we lack the Troops to take over whole Germany. I have an pretty radical idea. Since we need to show to the western allies that we want to get peace with them and we also need troops to prevent the Nazi party from getting its act together. I suggest we make a oneside ceasefire with the Western Allies and pull our military out of France.Netherlands and Belgium. It will create an power vacuum there and since many of the resistance groups are communists.It will lead into somekind of Communist coupe in the occupied France.That the Western Allies cant and wont allow.
    For the German people we have to say loud and clear: The Soviets and Communism is our enemy.So we need to crack Goebbels to do that. Allies have to interfere into situation in France, and voila we have an common enemy,the communists and the Soviet Union. We also get our Western troops in Germany and after that we can do what we want with the Nazis. In East we have to remain in defence.But we dont need to have a static defence there anymore that Hitler insisted. We can actually start using some Strategy again in our manouvers.
    Also we have to brake our alliance with the Japanese.Damned this is getting complicated.
    exellent story Franconicus- san.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Welcome Kraxis! It is a honor and a pleasure to see you here!

I agree with your analysis about Rosevelt and Churchill. The big question is if they still insist on their 'unconditional surrender'? This is one thing the German generals would never accept.
    I agree that Churchill will want to accelerate the attacks on Germany. However, what can he do? British strategy is not very flexible, more planned on the long run. I do not think he will land in France in 1943.
    Roosevelt? Does he want to fight the Germans any longer. Risk the blood of US soldiers - what for? Maybe heavy bombing is enough?

The eastern countries are not a big issue. Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria and Finland, what are their options. If Germany looses the Soviets will eat them alive. No matter if they try to change sides. And if the Germans and Soviets find an agreement - this might be even worse.
    Maybe I am wrong: http://www.onwar.com/chrono/1943/jul1943/f01jul43.htm

Japan does not bother me at all. Let them do their war.

kagemusha,

Together with the SS the NSDAP lost most of its power. Please note that all the police was controlled by the SS. That is past. There is no clear leader of the Nazis. We still need Goebbels to keep the party quiet. But we have to install a government as well. There should be some democrats in it.

What are the goals of Guderian and Manstein. Well, compared to Hitler they are saints, but they are still - let's say - German patriots. So they want to have a German domination in Europe. Hell, they fought a lot for that and now they should give it up? Remember that they still believe in a German victory.

Germany has two options. First, make peace with the US and GB. However, both will not accept that easiliy. First you have to get rid of Goebbels and second you must show them that Germany is willing and able to fight until the end.
    The second option is to find an arrangement with Stalin. Maybe not your first choice, but if the western allies do not want to co-operate? But to come to an agreeement with Stalin you need a big victory first too.

Anyway, to make peace you have to beat the Soviets!

Leaving the occupied countries in the west is an interesting option. Of course this has to be carefully planned. And you must have the right timing! Or this will lead to a desaster!!

There are two other issues:
    What are we going to do with the prisoners in the KZ? If we release them this might cause a civil war. Or at least weaken the will to fight. If we do not - then we are not better than the Nazis.
    What are we going to do about the foreign workers? We need them to increase our production.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 11-25-2005 at 10:24.

Chapter 7:

THE DUCE

July 1st. In Rome there is Benito Mussolini thinking what the news mean to him. He knew that the situation was critical before. He was wondering how to break the alliance with Hitler and make peace with the Allied. He knows that he will never win the empire he dreamed of. In this war, he can only loose. And he does not know if he can rely on his people or even on his own party.
    Now Hitler is dead, murdered by his own people. Mussolini really does not know what to do. Late at night a crowd of people come to his house. It is Marshall Pietro Badoglio and some other members of the Fascistic Council. They tell him that the council decided to end this war. Now that Hitler is gone they do not feel the need to keep the alliance with Germany. They want Mussolini’s demission and tell him that the king already agreed. Mussolini shows no reaction at all. He follows Badoglio. However on the way to the residence of the king the car is stopped by a passenger car and two trucks. German paratroops leave the trucks and encircle Bodoglio’s car. A German general comes out of the car to Mussolini. It is General Student. He says: “Duce, may I bring you back to your office? My men will guard you. We already arrested the members of the Fascist Council. Marshal Badoglio, would you please follow these men?”
    Next morning Mussolini makes a radio speech. He assures the new German government the full support and calls the Italian people to fight side by side with their German comrades against the enemy.

STALIN

When Stalin gets the news about Hitler he is shocked. How could this happen? He calls for General Onjanow, Director Intelligence Germany.

When the intelligence officer enters Stalin asks:
    “Did you hear the latest news from Germany, Onjanow?”
    “Yes, Comrade Stalin, Hitler is dead!”
    “Excellent! Now tell me how this happened!”
    “Well, we do not know exactly what happened, as yet. Obviously he wanted to visit the troops at the Kursk front. We knew that several important persons were on their way, but we thought it was only Himmler and Keitel.”
    “Ah, you thought! And what does the Director Intelligence Germany think about his death?”
    “Well, to be honest, we have no explanation so far.”
    “No explanation? Could it be that German communists did it?”
    “No, not as far as we know.”
    “Not as far as you know? What about German conservatives, or military?”
    “We have no indices for that.”
    “Did we get any information from London?”
    “No! The latest information was about the beginning of the German operations at Kursk. They told us they would start at July 5th.”
    “So you do not know anything at all!”
    “Maybe it was just an accident!”
    “Comrade General, go home right now and stay there. You are under arrest.”
    ”Yes, Comrade Stalin!” The man salutes and leaves the office.

Stalin is very angry. Once more he feels that he is surrounded by incompetence.
    Hitler is dead and he has no information what is going on. Well, at least it is clear that it was not a communist action. So it must have been the conservatives. Military or even men from the Nazi party. If this is right then they have contacted the Anglo-Americans first. Maybe it was engineered by the Brits? Doesn’t it look like a Churchill plan? Then his Western Allies may soon make peace with the Germans. Stalin knows very well that they never were in a hurry to attack Germany. And he knows that Churchill hates communists even more than fascists. Sure, they send weapons. But the reason for this is that they are happy that Germans and Russians are killing each others. How many allied soldiers died in the war? And how many were British or Americans?
    What if the Americans and the British make peace while the German armies are still in Russia? Then the Soviets will have to fight alone. Maybe even against the British and the Americans, too. They could use this chance to wipe out communism.

The more he thinks about it the more he sees how dangerous the situation is.

In the afternoon the Soviet General Staff Stavka meets. Stalin looks at his commanders. General Zhukov explains the situation at the Central and Woronesch Front. He says that the expected attack did not take place. Instead the Germans are pulling their tank formations back. Partisans observed big railway traffic bringing tanks to the west. There are also rumors that new infantry divisions arrive. Perhaps these are Rumanians. All those facts lead to the conclusion that the Germans are changing to a defensive formation.

Stalin stands up and says: “Comrades, now that Hitler is dead we have a complete different scenario. We do not know what is going on exactly. But we must expect the worst. Now is a time of confusion, not only for us but also for the Germans and the western countries. It might happen that our western allies will find an agreement with the German fascists and will attack us together with them. Our only chance is to use the current confusion and attack the German before they rearrange. We must throw them out of our country before they have time to find an arrangement against us.
    I want the Stavka to prepare operation plans to push the Germans out of the country. I want a joint strike of all fronts. These operations have to start within two weeks.”
    Zhukov replies: “Comrade Stalin, it is impossible to start an operation of this size within two weeks. Most of our troops are concentrated in the Central, the Woronesch and the Steppe Front. 20 percent of our field divisions, 35 percent of our tanks and 27 percent of our planes are concentrated at this small area. And these forces are not prepared for an offensive operation.”
    Stalin remains silent for a moment. Then he says with a soft voice: “Comrade Zhukov, if you are not able someone else will! I expect to see your plans within a week. The meeting is over!”

CHURCHILL

At the same time there are emergency sessions at London. Also here intelligence has not given any advance warning.

Churchill comes pretty fast to the conclusion that Himmler was the driver of this putsch. But Himmler is dead too. So, who will be the new German leader?

There are two possible scenarios – and Churchill fears both of them:
    German army collapses. Then the Soviet will advance rapidly and probably control all Central Europe including Germany. A communist controlled super Europe – that is Churchill’s nightmare.
    Germany and Russia find an agreement. They did it before and why shouldn’t they do it again, now that Hitler is gone. Then Germany will concentrate its forces against Britain. And Britain will have to enforce his armies in India and Iraq too. Though Churchill does not doubt that GB will win this war he knows that it will take a long time. But how long will the British be willing to fight, now that the enemy is no longer a cruel fascist dictator? And what about the allies? Canada, Australia, South Africa? When will they be tired of this war? And the US?

How does the new situation affect the war? Right now the Allies accumulate troops for the invasion of Sicily. Extended bombing raids against German towns are planned for the near future. And the battle in the Atlantic is still not over – even though the Krauts are very quiet there in the moment.

Churchill feels that this is a critical moment. His decisions will change the course of the world. He has to find a way to parry every move of the Germans or Russians. Suddenly he has an idea. Still dim but it is getting clearer and clearer.

Britain has to be ready to stop the Soviets in case Germany collapses. It also must have a plan to attack Germany immediately in case Russia quits the alliance. Attacking Italy does not thread the Germans. And the invasion of France is too difficult. The Krauts had three years to fortify the coast. But why not attack the Germans where they are weak?

What if the troops who are now waiting in Northern Africa were redirected to the Black Sea? If they attack Bulgaria instead of Italy? Bulgaria would not try to resist. They would be happy to leave the axis and be protected against the Soviets. Romania would follow as well. The German eastern front would collapse and the British and US troops could march north to take Hungary and Poland. Controlling the Romanian oil and attacking Germany from two sides would bring the Allies in a position where they can end the war without the support of the Russians.

But is this feasible? If Turkey can be argued in it then the British navy would control the sea. Of course there would be some trouble with the German air force. But Germany would be taken by surprise and before they know what is going on the Allies would control a big part of Bulgaria.

Churchill calls his staff and asks them about their opinions. In general, they agree, but they raise some pleas. What to do if the Turks will not cooperate? And how to convince the Americans? The Yanks would like to attack the Germans at there strongest point and then march straight to Berlin. Churchill shakes his head. So much power and no idea about strategy. But the Americans demand the leadership of the European operation, although it is the British who are fighting for years now and know the situation in Europe so well.

After the discussion there are three options:

1. Follow Churchill’s plans. Stop Husky and negotiate with Turkey! If they agree attack the German flank by landing at Bulgaria. However, this may stress the relation to America.
    2. Like 1.. But also prepare a landing at Greece just in case the Turks will not cooperate. However, marching through Greece will be much harder.
    3. Forget Churchill’s idea. Nor Turkey neither the US will agree. So go on as planned and execute Husky.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 11-28-2005 at 11:10.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

So now we are the Allies?

#2 seems the best... Husky is too easily halted.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Aargh! This is coming more and more complicated. I would say number 1). But this is complitely biased answer towards Germans. Landing in the Bulgaria will lead in problems with the Soviets in the long run becouse they think Bulgaria is on their power circle.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Kagemusha,
    Who said it would be easy to kill A.H. and end war?
    Regarding the Soviets? Churchill surely expects trouble. Poland will cause trouble, because it is in the power circle of both. Churchill is not the kind of man who wants to avoid trouble. The only issue is trying to avoid trouble until Germany is done or not?

Kraxis,
    Maybe I should have posted the ‘rules’ before.

The purpose of this story is to think about how Manstein could have ended the war. I know that I cannot rewrite history, but I want to find a possible or even likely scenario.

This is the agenda:
    1) Find a way to kill A.H. and do it
    2) Get control over Germany
    3) Make the new strategic setup for the other nations
    4) Go back on the battle field and fight the decisive battle
    5) End

Although I have an agenda this does not mean that the story is already written. In fact I do not know exactly what the next steps are or if the story will really follow the agenda at all. And the end is completely open.

This is a kind of brain storm. So to proceed I need input, lots of input. Sometime I may ask for general information, sometimes I may give different options. The MONASTARY can provide the different views of people from a lot of different countries. This is what I need to avoid writing a ‘German’ story.

But without feedback, this story will soon end. Without kagemusha Hitler would still be alive! Thanks kage!!

I think as soon as the fighting starts again the story should stay at one side.

For those who want to jump on our little mind game here a short status:

Hitler is dead. The SS is neutralized. At the moment Manstein, Guderian and Rommel control the government. Zitadelle has been stopped. Italian government is controlled by the Germans. Stalin already decided to attack asap. Churchill was wondering if he should change the strategy. So far the result of the poll is ‘undecided’.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast