Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

Post Re: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

Here are some screens of the generals, lesser generals, centurions and standard bearers from the MODDING LEGIONS Full Pack v1.3b (click thumbs for larger images):

Roman General

Roman Lesser General

Roman Early Centurion & Roman Early Standard Bearer

Roman Centurion & Roman Standard Bearer

Roman Eagle Standard

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic
    , Click here to download RTG v1.0

Professor Spatula's genius never ceases to amaze with his Greek Sword Hoplite models:

He has also created an excellent reskin and logo for the Numidian Standard Bearer; in vanilla the logo was strangely ommited by CA:

Thanks once again mate!

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic

Default Re: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

omgosh when will this be version released? btw those sword hoplites, call them sword hypasipists or flank hypasipists. what i reccomend foot companions.got that information here: Extended Greek Mod Readme Appendix On Hypasipists By DimeBagHo

well i have learned to mod (on edb edu dmb Vercengetorix's extractors, sound txts, adding music, ui cards adding them not making them,adding descriptions, making sprites and a little more i forgot.) so i tried modding vanila RTW stats mostly attack and morale, adding Spartan Royal Guard from reading ER's Adding Units Tutorial took out music i dont like and i was succesful it all worked!!! 2 things that i did was (that you should know) are taking out the phlanx and swords for nubian spearmen and german spear warband (no crash!) and giving triarii a stronger secondary weapon a gladius.

so..
    i will try to mod the RTG dmb and edu and try to take out that sword for german spear warband and nubian spearmen and perhaps give triarii a gladius. if i am succesful (with the nubian and german spearman) i will show you what i did and tell you how to take out those swords. or just copy the german and nubian spear entries in the dmb and edu to here!

Welcome to the world of modding! Well, if you've managed to work out how to remove selected unit secondary weapons, could you also look into removing secondary weapons from standard hoplites and phalangites for me please? I'd be really grateful since I don't really have the time to investigate areas such as this. Hoplites and phalangites without secondaries would be very interesting, especially if they fought it out to the death with their primaries.

As for a release date, well that's anyones guess at the moment tbh. There's so much more that needs to be done, and I'd rather get as much of this done as possible (rather than release it piece by piece) so that the mod can be clearly distinguishable in several areas from the original vanilla RTW. I'll probably make the unit adjustments (EG missile units) when I have a good chunk of free time, because this really needs to be recoded, tested, tweaked, retested, retweaked etc etc until the desired results are achieved.

Thanks.

RTG Main Topic

Quote Originally Posted by Seasoned Alcoholic
    Welcome to the world of modding! Well, if you've managed to work out how to remove selected unit secondary weapons, could you also look into removing secondary weapons from standard hoplites and phalangites for me please? I'd be really grateful since I don't really have the time to investigate areas such as this. Hoplites and phalangites without secondaries would be very interesting, especially if they fought it out to the death with their primaries.
    ok but then if the ai take off the phalanx, they will run around attacking without a weapon killing people mysteriously. what should i do about that? (thats what happen to german spear warband before CA made patch 1.5)

(double post)

As for a release date, well that's anyones guess at the moment tbh. There's so much more that needs to be done, and I'd rather get as much of this done as possible (rather than release it piece by piece) so that the mod can be clearly distinguishable in several areas from the original vanilla RTW. I'll probably make the unit adjustments (EG missile units) when I have a good chunk of free time, because this really needs to be recoded, tested, tweaked, retested, retweaked etc etc until the desired results are achieved.

Thanks.
    once you are finished and release the next version, can you make a upgrade patch for V0.2 to V0.3 please? (so i dont have to dwonload too long)

dang it double post again!!!!
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 06-13-2006 at 22:34.

I'd originally tried to make use of BI's shieldwall ability using the mod: switch command, but was never able to test this out directly because historical & custom battles became corrupted for some reason. I've also tried giving the units the short_pike attibute, which allows hoplites to run when carrying spears (historically accurate), but because of the absence of the phalanx formation, the whole unit becomes dispersed when engaging in melee.

If your test results aren't that promising / conclusive then don't worry, its not a necessity to be included in the next version. Try and post some screens of your progress if you can, pictures can describe a thousand words

RTG Main Topic

I'd originally tried to make use of BI's shieldwall ability using the mod: switch command, but was never able to test this out directly because historical & custom battles became corrupted for some reason. I've also tried giving the units the short_pike attibute, which allows hoplites to run when carrying spears (historically accurate), but because of the absence of the phalanx formation, the whole unit becomes dispersed when engaging in melee.

If your test results aren't that promising / conclusive then don't worry, its not a necessity to be included in the next version. Try and post some screens of your progress if you can, pictures can describe a thousand words
    ok i will go and mod. (after i sign off. dont worry wont be on long)

good news! ive done what you told me to do and...success! no crashes! here are pics of the results:

A charge between nubian spearmen and german spear warband. no swords.

Battle continues no sword!

Battle is about the end and no sword appears! Task 1 Complete!
    How I Did This: In Export Descr Unit.txt change this:
    6, 2, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 25 ,1 (from Nile Spearmen)
    to this: 0, 0, no, 0, 0, , no, no, no, 25 ,1 (dont change the 25,1) I got the first example from nile spearmen all you do is change the numbers to 0 melee, simple, piercing, to no. and spear to none. the stats for the secondary weapon is now deleted.
    In Descr Model Battle change this: fs_spearman, fs_s1_swordsman and delete fs_s1_swordsman and the comma. it should look like this after that:
    fs_spearman notice no comma.
    Hoplite Modification Results

A battle between Armoured Hoplites and Phalanx Pikemen. (Hoplites here use overarm and the pikemen use underarm)

Battle commences.

As you can see no one is using a sword just thrusting away.

BUT, as you can see the men in the rear; if they fight someone they wont lower their spears so it looks like he is punching him.

look! the pikemen on the far left ducks the hoplites attack!

at least this one has his spear down.

How I did this: all you do is the same thing for nubian spearmen but to all pikemen and hoplites dont forget the mercenary hoplite! if there is a fourth word after no, write none. example:
    0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none,
    and thats all!

(pressed the edit button for the post above but it was taking too long.)
    btw i liked that idea to remove the secondary weapons for the hoplites and phalangtites!! the ai didnt remove the phalanx formation while fighting. so put this in the mod!
    but you should make a poll about this in the TWC forums. you can use my pics (of the hoplites) to show them what happened. (also if you wanted to know the hoplites won.)
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 06-14-2006 at 02:21.

Thanks for testing those areas for me mate, you've done a fine job!

OK, I can see how you've removed all secondary weapons from the scripts. Did any units use stabbing or slashing animations when in melee, or did they use spears / sarissas for the whole battle?

Also, did you keep the phalanx ability for these units (in the formation line), or was it removed?

Hmm, another poll @ TWC forums would probably take too long to decide, I've recently closed 4 polls on various topics. I can just make an annocuncement in the completed suggestions topic. Once the suggestions topic is near enough completion, I'll create a new topic here (probably in Mod Discussion) to illustrate the changes that have been made since open beta v0.2.

Thanks.

RTG Main Topic

OK, I can see how you've removed all secondary weapons from the scripts. Did any units use stabbing or slashing animations when in melee, or did they use spears / sarissas for the whole battle?

Also, did you keep the phalanx ability for these units (in the formation line), or was it removed?
    No the animations ony used the fs_spearman skeleton, and i did not remove the phalanx abilty. (actually i tried taking out phalanx to see if it can have the same effects of BI shieldwall but it doesnt look good)

Naked Game Fanatic Member Murfios's Avatar

Hello, found one tiny minor none frustrating bug. Numania somehow has Roman Still Art. Ex. Strongest Faction, Resistance is Futile, Trait Incresed, Diplomatic info.

These have The art that would normaly appear will using a roman faction. Not an Easter one. Also can you make family members stop having all the same retinues. This are: Witch, Wise Man, Pet Hunting Dog, Torturer, Comediant, and a few other. Somehow all family members from all faction have these same "things".

hey that was a GREAT idea. Phalanx one. But instead of removing secondary weapon you can make it a long spear, strong one and add the patch to prevent unit spreading. It will look strange that Phalanxes hit over head and cause people to die. Im not much of a moder, im rather digital painter artist. Pardon me if may ignorance blinds me or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Murfios
    hey that was a GREAT idea. Phalanx one. But instead of removing secondary weapon you can make it a long spear, strong one and add the patch to prevent unit spreading. It will look strange that Phalanxes hit over head and cause people to die. Im not much of a moder, im rather digital painter artist. Pardon me if may ignorance blinds me or something.
    yea i was thinking of doing that too. pls note Seasoned Alcoholic if you add Player1's Bug-Fixer V3.36, it will overwrite files such as the edu dmb edb and a bit more i believe.

some more bugs...British revels still have chariots as generals. And revel factions with barbarian chariots(british chariots) have logo on the back part of the chariot. Also, generals body guards look like peasants on horses, not like heavy cavalry.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not really bothered about fixing every small problem that was contained in vanilla (EG the images / artwork, rebel chariots using Briton symbols on chariots). I don't really want to become tied down fixing these smaller issues tbh, I've been playing Rome for so long now that I tend to overlook areas like this (its what you become accustomed to). If, however, they had a critical impact upon gameplay (like earlier bugs that were highlighted), then I would take an interest in fixing the problem.

As for player1's bugfixer, well I've had a chat with player1, and he informed me that his bugfixer does not fix the 'unit scattering' bug. This was introduced with vanilla RTW v1.5, probably due to coding changes in the phalanx scripts (hardcoded), and cannot be directly altered. Just have to live these vanilla bugs I'm afraid, I really wish something could be done, but that's life.

Chariot generals weren't completely removed from the scripts - only the Briton family members were replaced with general's cavalry bodyguards. These Briton general's bodyguards are simply placeholders - if I could skin and model, then I'd include new reskins for units such as these. However, since that's not the case, I've had to make do with what was available in the original files that shipped with vanilla versions of the game. At least they're better than chariot generals that would fall apart in a matter of moments as soon as they engaged in melee
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 06-15-2006 at 19:40.

RTG Main Topic

From https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...=95&linkid=187

Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG)

Size

RTG Provincial Campaign @ MEGAUPLOAD
    Approximate size: 5.26MB

RTG Provincial Campaign @ RAPIDSHARE
    Approximate size: 5.38MB

Note that similar download version types are identical despite the filesize differences.

Installation Instructions

This download can be used as either a Provinical Campaign, or as a direct replacement for the existing vanilla text files. If you decide to choose the latter option, please remember to backup your original files.

(1) Download the RTG Provincial Campaign to the location of your choice.
    (2) Once the dowload has finished, extract the ZIP file. If you wish to create a Provincial Campaign, goto step (3). If you wish to copy and paste the files over the existing ones, goto step (4).
    (3) Copy the RTG Provincial Campaign folder into the C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign directory folder.
    (4) Manually copy and paste the files contained in the RTG Provincial Campaign over the existing files. Some are contained at C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\base, whereas others are contained at C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign. Remember to delete map.rwm from the base folder.
    (5) Within the RTG Provincial Campaign folder is a subfolder called 'text'. Open this subfolder, copy and paste the single text file inside (which is called imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt) into your existing text folder, located at C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\text.
    (6) Make sure you have added campaign descriptions for each faction in the campaign_descriptions.txt file, located at C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\text
    (7) Run RTW. If you are using the Provincial Campaign version, a Provincial Campaign menu should now appear in the Single Player menu. If you are using a manual installation, start a new Imperial Campaign as normal. You may have to wait whilst the new map.rwm is regenerated.

Description / Credits / Disclaimer

Description

Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG) Provinical Campaign
    Created & Developed By Seasoned Alcoholic

The RTG Campaign Map has been made available as a seperate download for those that wish to install the map without having to download the latest version of the mod. It may also be incorporated into other modification projects; for more details regarding this area, please refer to the permissions section (below).

#########
    #FEATURES#
    #########

CAMPAIGN MAP
    • Modified settlement locations to roughly their historical locations.
    • Over 50 new regions have been added to the campaign map.
    • Modified and relocated campaign resources, including unlocked / unused resources that were omitted in vanilla RTW.
    • A fairly consistent and accurate naming convention for most regions and settlements on the campaign map.
    • Extensive modifications have been made to accompanying campaign text files, EG map_heights.hgt, map_features.tga, map_ground_types.tga to improve the flow of the map.

STRAT TEXT FILE

Extensive changes have been made to areas such as the following:-
    • Starting province ownership.
    • Starting settlement populations.
    • Campaign start / end dates.
    • Playable / unplayable factions.
    • Starting faction denarii.
    • Starting faction armies (and locations).
    • Starting regional fertility / population growth rates.
    • AI construction / recruitment biases.

Credit / Permissions

#######
    #CREDIT#
    #######

Original text files created by The Creative Assembly.
    Text files modified by Seasoned Alcoholic.
    Faction campaign maps created by Seasoned Alcoholic.
    Faction leader portraits created by Seasoned Alcoholic.
    Selected map TGA & HGT text files modified by Seasoned Alcoholic.

###########
    #PERMISSIONS#
    ###########

Incorporation - This material in this modification may be included in other public modifications in a complete and unaltered state. Adaptation may only be made to the extent necessary for the material to be used as intended by the creator. These conditions can be waived with the creator's express permission. It also may not be used for any commercial purpose. The creator of the modification must be identified within the credits included in any release.

descr_strat.txt, descr_mercenaries.txt, descr_win_conditions.txt etc can be modified in order to bring the download in line with the project it is to be implemented within. However, core text files, TGAs and other files related to the campaign map may not be modified without the explicit permission of Seasoned Alcoholic. He can be contacted at either the TWC or ORG forums, preferrably in the form of a Private Message (PM). For queries, questions or requests, please PM Seasoned Alcoholic.

You will need to supply your own campaign descriptions in campaign_descriptions.txt

Disclaimer

Rome: Total Gameplay is not supported or endorsed in any way by The Creative Assembly, Activision or Sega. All of the work included with this modification is my own, and has not been taken, borrowed or stolen from anyone. Credit has been given when and where necessary. Note that any infringements present are purely unintentional.

I hope you enjoy the RTG campaign map and its related features as much as I did making it!

RTG Main Topic

this my sound stupid... but what is this? a new version of RTG? or a patch or something? yeah im a noob in online mods and stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Murfios
    this my sound stupid... but what is this? a new version of RTG? or a patch or something? yeah im a noob in online mods and stuff...
    its a updated campagain map. i am going to download it now.
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 06-15-2006 at 21:57.

I've released the campaign map as a seperate download from the latest version of the mod, for a couple of reasons:

(1) It allows people to download the RTG campaign map (and related files) without having to download the entire mod. Then the campaign map can be incorporated into their private modifications with few problems.

(2) The RTG campaign map can be incorporated into other public modifications, but only following the permissions laid down. Hopefully, this should allow wider audiences to gain more unpredictable experiences on the campaign map than they would do in vanilla. Many major mods share certain aspects, so I thought that I'd share the RTG campaign map.
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 06-15-2006 at 23:04.

RTG Main Topic

Seasoned Alcoholic the new RTG campaign didnt work. I replaced the files from the RTG Provincial Campaign to the base folder and the imperial campaign folder. there only one thing i didnt do which was in the instructions you said to add descriptions for each faction in the campaign i didnt do that because you already have descriptions. (from the RTG V02) i suspect that is the problem. what should i do?

The RTG campaign map download was really an incorporation download tbh. It was put together very quickly, and will probably require some work at the installation end to work properly. My guess is that the rebel factions listed in descr_regions don't match those listed in dscr_rebel_factions. Otherwise, its the faction_creator lines that the game doesn't like. Those files in particular are very fussy; if you make at least one error in conversion, you will always get hard CTDs until the problem is fixed.

If you don't know how to fix these CTDs, its probably best to wait until I release the next version of RTG, the campaign map release was a bit premature.

RTG Main Topic

well actually i just get a crash back to the single-player menu. does this change the scenario? of just the same problem.

Are you using the -show_err command line extension? If not, right-click your RTW shortcut (on desktop), then click Properties. Now select the Shortcut tab and add the -show_err extension to what already exists in the Target textbox. It should look as below (note the space between the original target entry and the extension):

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

Click Apply then OK. This should now bring up an error dialogue box each time the game finds something it doesn't like in the scripts. This won't always work however.

If you're receiving a kick to menu (KTM), this usually means that the files in your campaign folder contain bugs. You'll need to work out which file(s) contains the bugs / typos then sort each out individually. The -show_err should help you identify where the bugs lie in the scripts, usually one at a time.

RTG Main Topic

Are you using the -show_err command line extension? If not, right-click your RTW shortcut (on desktop), then click Properties. Now select the Shortcut tab and add the -show_err extension to what already exists in the Target textbox. It should look as below (note the space between the original target entry and the extension):

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

Click Apply then OK. This should now bring up an error dialogue box each time the game finds something it doesn't like in the scripts. This won't always work however.

If you're receiving a kick to menu (KTM), this usually means that the files in your campaign folder contain bugs. You'll need to work out which file(s) contains the bugs / typos then sort each out individually. The -show_err should help you identify where the bugs lie in the scripts, usually one at a time.
    yea i always use the -show_err command line. the error box said, script error could not find nightbattlecapable in traits database. i think the problem is since your RTG has skymod and nightbattles mine doesn't. should i delete that trait or what? (i went to descr_strat and did the quicksearch. searched nightbattle and many generals have it)
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 06-16-2006 at 21:38.

That's the problem then mate, yeah you need to delete the NightBattleCapable traits from all faction leaders and all faction heirs. Night Battles are included with the latest version, so that's why there are a few incompatabilities with the RTG campaign map at present.

RTG Main Topic

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast