Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Typos/Grammar Thread (ALL factions)

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Lightbulb Typos/Grammar Thread (ALL factions)

Please use this thread to post any typos or grammar problems you find. I am particularly interested in those which wouldn't be caught with spellcheck software, such as meat-meet or led-lead. You can either post screen shots or text (if the latter, be sure to identify 1) the typo, and 2) the text box in which it appeared).

For some examples, please see THIS THREAD. Thanks!!

NOTE: If you have previously posted this kind of problem in a thread different from the one above, just add a link to your earlier post.
    Last edited by Kull; 01-02-2006 at 18:38.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Default Re: Typos/Grammar Thread (ALL factions)

The 'harms lenght' one has an additional error in the second word ie should be 'length'.

Ingame 'Getai' is spelt 'Getia' I have noticed this on tool tips including on the custom battle setup which could be an intentional tense (or somesuch) change but looks on the face of it to be a transposition.

Not strictly a grammar/typo but it feels to me that there is too much usage of 'Elan' in unit descriptions.
    Elan this elan that elan the other, it seems a bit cheapened when everyone is fighting with a rare level of elan

Elite African Pikemen are referred to in their description as eg 'Elite African Pikeman are...' which is not really right
    Last edited by hoom; 01-02-2006 at 03:05.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

This is all I've collected so far.
    • In Iberian Caetratii and Iberian Equites Caetratii, possibly as well as other Iberian troops, "ability" is spelled "hability" and "constituted" "constitued".
    • Tons of typos for Iberian Scutarii. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...6&postcount=13)
    • Ragon Sauramatae Vaezdaettae should have a "not" in "They are, however, suitable nor prepared..."
    • Hrussáthêwáz: unuasual, aniquilate, eficient
    Quote Originally Posted by hoom
    Not strictly a grammar/typo but it feels to me that there is too much usage of 'Elan' in unit descriptions.
    Elan this elan that elan the other, it seems a bit cheapened when everyone is fighting with a rare level of elan
    Plus it should be élan.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

I noticed in battle the equites use a "u" instead of a "v", which is inconsistent with the policy elsewhere. Same goes for "equites singulares" and "equites consulares".
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

The 'harms lenght' one has an additional error in the second word ie should be 'length'.
    Done

Ingame 'Getai' is spelt 'Getia' I have noticed this on tool tips including on the custom battle setup which could be an intentional tense (or somesuch) change but looks on the face of it to be a transposition.
    I need some help here. Exactly what were you doing when this spelling appeared? A screenshot would be useful, if possible.

Don't get me started. Suffice it to say, this level of editing is what I call "third pass" - first we deal with spelling errors, second we fix grammar, and only after all that is cleaned up will we look into rewriting the descriptions. Just so you understand - the buildings text file alone occupies over 600 pages of text in my editor, and it will take many days just to perform a 1 & 2 pass edit on that file. I can scarcely even imagine how long the 3rd pass will take.

Elite African Pikemen are referred to in their description as eg 'Elite African Pikeman are...' which is not really right
    Done

Thanks for posting this!!
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    This is all I've collected so far.[*]In Iberian Caetratii and Iberian Equites Caetratii, possibly as well as other Iberian troops, "ability" is spelled "hability" and "constituted" "constitued".[*]Tons of typos for Iberian Scutarii. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...6&postcount=13)
    Done.

[*]Ragon Sauramatae Vaezdaettae should have a "not" in "They are, however, suitable nor prepared..."
    Done.....but that presents another question. Compare your spelling of this unit with the one in EXPORT_UNITS.TXT (below) - which is correct?

Ragon Sauromatae Uaezdaettae

[*]Hrussáthêwáz: unuasual, aniquilate, eficient
    Done

Thanks for posting these!
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    I noticed in battle the equites use a "u" instead of a "v", which is inconsistent with the policy elsewhere. Same goes for "equites singulares" and "equites consulares".
    We'll fix this in the titles, but will use "u" instead of "v" in descriptions so as not to torture the tongues of EB players.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

I need some help here. Exactly what were you doing when this spelling appeared? A screenshot would be useful, if possible.
    Tooltips.
    Campaign selection screen, custom battle setup & in battle when you put your mouse over the unit/faction.

There are a bunch of other similar oddities in these same tooltips eg Romani show as Romans

Sim :p

[edit]There are already several mentions of tooltip text being wrong in the known bugs thread so I think there should be more of a general review of faction naming in tooltips rather than specific error fixes[/edit]
    Last edited by hoom; 01-03-2006 at 00:13.

Tooltips.
    Campaign selection screen, custom battle setup & in battle when you put your mouse over the unit/faction.

There are a bunch of other similar oddities in these same tooltips eg Romani show as Romans
    Whew - that took a while to track down. Turns out that different text files contribute the descriptions you see on that customized battle screen, and while two are synchronized (both have the "Getai" typo), the third is not. Thanks for getting more specific - that really helped me track this down!

There are already several mentions of tooltip text being wrong in the known bugs thread so I think there should be more of a general review of faction naming in tooltips rather than specific error fixes
    That's pretty much my edit philosophy - attack each of the text files individually without regard to the posting of individual spelling/grammar errors. However, that approach does not catch naming discrepancies BETWEEN files, and it also doesn't (usually) allow me to find correctly spelled words that are incorrect in the context of a sentence (hence my emphasis on the reporting of errors like "meet-meat", "quite-quiet", and "where-were" - to name just a few)

Again, thanks for helping out!
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

My pleasure :)

"Getia" is the name of the region, "Getai" is the name of the people (basically meaning "Getians"). Both are correct in their appropriate contexts.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

On a tree-covered mountain in Anniston, Alabama, USA

Temple to Jupiter Optimus Maximus in Roma: has "romanstate"

The Roman Fabricae description (MIC building) has "labour consuming", should probably be "labour-consuming"

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!
    -- Aristophanes, if he played EB

Question Re: Typos/Grammar Thread (ALL factions)

Not a spelling-mistake, but I think this is a typo:

The descriptions for the Romani Cohortes Reformata and Antesignani contain this sentence:

Historically, the organization of the legion changed at the end of the 1st century BC and all but the heavy infantry disappeared. The Hastati, Principes and Triarii were now all equipped in the same manner and only their names remained.
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but shouldn't it be the end of the 2nd Century BC, or maybe the beginning of the 1st Century BC? (ie around 100 BC) The end of the 1st century BC would be the Augustan Principate.

Antagonist
    Last edited by Antagonist; 01-04-2006 at 13:22.
    "Society is going down the drain, and it's everybody's fault but ours."

Arthurian Total War Developer

Someone just posted this image - and there is a typo in the trait description:

https://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?...tagydia7kx.jpg

Just do a search in the file for "were stricken be" and change it to "were stricken by".

What? A trait typo? Noooo!

Fixed for the future.

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!

I think that was causing some of those numerous trait CTD's, by the way.

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

"Getia" is the name of the region, "Getai" is the name of the people (basically meaning "Getians"). Both are correct in their appropriate contexts.
    but Getia under the faction icon waiting for next turn is wrong, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    I think that was causing some of those numerous trait CTD's, by the way.
    If it had been in edct instead of export_VnVs, I'd believe it!

The Pahlavan building Basic Farming contains the phrase "The Pahlava have taken that a steppe further..." should be a step further, right?
    Oh, and also the Roman and Seleucid flags seem to be switched.

Quote Originally Posted by MeroFromVero
    The Pahlavan building Basic Farming contains the phrase "The Pahlava have taken that a steppe further..." should be a step further, right?
    Duly noted....sounds sorta freudian, given the location of their farms.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionTheWorm
    Yes - Caught & squashed!

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist
    .....Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but shouldn't it be the end of the 2nd Century BC, or maybe the beginning of the 1st Century BC? (ie around 100 BC) The end of the 1st century BC would be the Augustan Principate.
    Hmmm. Good Question - I'll pass this along to the Romani team & get their take.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Someone just posted this image - and there is a typo in the trait description:

https://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?...tagydia7kx.jpg

Just do a search in the file for "were stricken be" and change it to "were stricken by".
    There's a second typo in there: Alexandros's s/b Alexandros'
    Last edited by Kull; 01-06-2006 at 01:24.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Quote Originally Posted by Malrubius
    Temple to Jupiter Optimus Maximus in Roma: has "romanstate"
    Fixed (along with two others)

Quote Originally Posted by Malrubius
    The Roman Fabricae description (MIC building) has "labour consuming", should probably be "labour-consuming"
    Changed to "labour intensive"
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Typo with building in Kallatis (A town on the west side of the black sea). Avemvs Lacvs (or something like that, it's a lake building) has a typo saying its 'one of the most beautiful sites in Italy', seeing that this town is a ways away from Italy I assume it's a typo or mix-match.

It shouldn't be there at all and will be removed. We have no idea how it got magically transported there.

All elephant units seem to still have the underscores in their name.

e.g. 'African_Elephants'

Also, deities are on several occasions called 'God' instead of 'Gob'. Please fix this, before my father smites you.
    Je ne vois qu'infini par toutes les fenêtres.

Charles Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but shouldn't it be the end of the 2nd Century BC, or maybe the beginning of the 1st Century BC? (ie around 100 BC) The end of the 1st century BC would be the Augustan Principate.
    Good catch. The Roman team has confirmed your finding and I've changed the text from "end" to "beginning".

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus
    All elephant units seem to still have the underscores in their name.

e.g. 'African_Elephants'
    Thanks! Fixed.
    Last edited by Kull; 01-07-2006 at 07:00.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

(Bump) This is the official thread for reporting spelling and grammar problems to the EB Editing team. And based on the lack of entries, it's either:

1) EB's text has achieved near-god-like perfection

or

2) You OB testers are slackin' on me big time!

"Numidia Delenda Est!"

Quote Originally Posted by ScionTheWorm
    I don't think so. Did you check with the appropriate people, Kull?
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

I don't think so. Did you check with the appropriate people, Kull?
    Nope. I believe this comes from SHARED.TXT, and I changed it since everything else I'd seen up to that time referred to the Dacians as "Getai", not "Getia". Technically I may be wrong here (since Getia is the nation, Getai the people), but every person who plays this mod from now until the end of time is going to be commenting on the "Getia" typo. Is there ANY other spelling we can come up with that's historically correct and not an apparent transposition? Getaio, Getaia, Getaie?
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Nymos Symmachos duplicates, "has been improved" should be have been improved, "however" shouldn't be there (or stick a comma after it), and there shouldn't be a comma before that (or change that to which).

Edit: Description for Megaron Dioiketou says "A Dioiketes is not chosen from the lower Hellenic families or gods forbid, one of the native ones are not trustworthy enough, as..." which doesn't make grammatical sense.

Comma in "better stronger walls" in description for Teichea Lithea.

Tomb of Alexander: siezed should be seized.

Syllogos kai Skeuotheke Strateumatos: "arms and armor is often stored" should be "are often stored."

Practice Range: "which also needs" should be "which also need."

Pyramids: "their surface were covered" should be "was covered."

Metalleia: posess should be possess.
    Last edited by JayS; 01-13-2006 at 19:12.

In the Small Nomadic Settlement, it says,
    However, they wouldn’t fair well against either extremes of an all infantry people or their cavalry heavy relatives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast