Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: Interactive History V: The Duel of the Sea

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Default Re: Interactive History V: The Duel of the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    Aye, and the big question now will be: What and when will be the next masterpiece
    I might have some plans for a more political and less military IH next time, and much more openended. But that one required some serious background research so I don't know when I might get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by discovery1
    Kraxis, what impact did our attempts to mine the English ports using zeps have? Oh, and what did the rank and file think of our late Vice Admiral, at least after he died?
    The mining of the British ports had the impact that it damaged a British battleship, sunk a pre-dreadnought (converted to a minelayer) and sunk a few merchants. Those were the losses, but the impact to the morale and the time expended at clearing them is much harder to determine. So I guess you can consider it a somewhat succesful operation.
    The sailors at the bottom were much like the population, they adored Schleizinger's tactical ability and his general tendency to preserve his fleet. However, they would forever remember that he was also a cynical leader, who was willing to sacrifice his men for victory, and that he could at times be hotheaded.

So for them at least, he wasn't the romantic leader that the rest of Germany came to know him as.

Many thanks KK.
    Praises are as always good for my confidence. And if I still know you when/if I write a novel, I might just send you the draft.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyDuck
    Hehehe I told you so Kurt.
    As my plan was always to wreck the ports at any cost to help the offensive, I feel slightly smug

However, I admit, I was surprized that the English fleet were there in such numbers and I had hoped that we would not loose so much of the fleet

But, on the whole, I feel the tactics worked. The English, by trying to be everywhere, being ultra aggressive and not concentrating on keeping the fleet together played into our hands. Anyway, the victors always write the history and I am sure, in that, it will be a perfectly planned offensive and series of operations
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    I might have some plans for a more political and less military IH next time, and much more openended. But that one required some serious background research so I don't know when I might get on with it.
    You can already count me in. May we have an idea of the setting?
    I never was the most active participants (just like with Mannsteins woes were I joined to late in the game) as couldn't fall back on the tactical and technical knowledge that others had. Nevertheless I enjoyed it tremendously. The duel of the Sea was/is a masterpiece. I actually put on "Ride of the Valkyries" when our character did as I was expecting a rather dramatic end (I, however, was expecting a sort of demise of our fleet in a heroic but disastrous last battle, like the romanticised portrayal of a soldier dying unsuccessfully in a heroic charge admitst explosions and carnage).

To the other participants, who's suggestions and remarks were far more crucial to our victory than mine, I can only express my gratitude and admiration. If it weren't for you guys (Kage, Legio, KK, Aggonyduck and the others I'm forgetting right now) this interactive history wouldn't have been half as brilliant or even died out like on the other forum. At times I felt like a junior officer happening to witness a debate on tactics by veteran captains.

Many thanks to all who made this story so unforgettable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Very nice Interactive with an brilliant ending!
    (and nice signature , plus I second the decorations )
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

Astounding! A German victory on the high seas! Kraxis, let me repeat what everyone else has said - this was the best Interactive History to date, and it was absolutely incredible! Your already-great writing continues to improve, and I have no doubt you will be a wonderful author.

I was absent for the final decision, so I didn't get to influence it, but oh well - the decision made was a good one. The victory may not have been absolutely crushing, but considering the odds against us, any sort of victory is very welcome. As I read the opening part of the final chapter, my heart sank - I was sure we'd be crushed when it became apparent that the main High Seas Fleet was upon us. When our character, the Vice Admiral, perished, I was sure it was all over. We'd gone down in a blaze of glory.

Then came the "e-mail," and the description of our eventual victory, despite heavy losses and the death of our character. I was flabbergasted, but pleasantly surprised. Part of me wondered if you'd been a bit kind to us, allowing us to beat a much larger and more powerful fleet.

Regardless, this was a supremely enjoyable IH, and the victory only sweetens the deal. Splendid job, Kraxis, and thank you once again!

If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Though I never posted a vote in the decisions, I must say that I had a great time lurking in this thread, reading the chapters. It was brilliant writing that glued me to the computer so that I almost were late to a class more than once because of it. Great job, Kraxis

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill
    At times I felt like a junior officer happening to witness a debate on tactics by veteran captains.
    Ha! Me too.

Kraxis, I believe that you've made us a group of dedicated fans here. Whenever you write a book, just tell us and we'll be spreading the word as soon as possible!

Tho we do expect to be able to buy it for a "friendly" price, eh

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill
    You can already count me in. May we have an idea of the setting?
    I never was the most active participants (just like with Mannsteins woes were I joined to late in the game) as couldn't fall back on the tactical and technical knowledge that others had. Nevertheless I enjoyed it tremendously. The duel of the Sea was/is a masterpiece. I actually put on "Ride of the Valkyries" when our character did as I was expecting a rather dramatic end (I, however, was expecting a sort of demise of our fleet in a heroic but disastrous last battle, like the romanticised portrayal of a soldier dying unsuccessfully in a heroic charge admitst explosions and carnage).

To the other participants, who's suggestions and remarks were far more crucial to our victory than mine, I can only express my gratitude and admiration. If it weren't for you guys (Kage, Legio, KK, Aggonyduck and the others I'm forgetting right now) this interactive history wouldn't have been half as brilliant or even died out like on the other forum. At times I felt like a junior officer happening to witness a debate on tactics by veteran captains.

Many thanks to all who made this story so unforgettable.
    Thank you Phill,for your kind words. This was such a long journey that i feel that we were and are like band of brothers.Brothers in arms.You forgot one person who was very formidable,Franc,Franconicus.Altough personally while our character was killed we emerged victorius.But in my opinion, we were just lucky.We were in Amok run.Without that fog,i believe we would have been slaughtered.But then its just Kage.Never enough happy,always something to improve.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 11-04-2006 at 05:17.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Then came the "e-mail," and the description of our eventual victory, despite heavy losses and the death of our character. I was flabbergasted, but pleasantly surprised. Part of me wondered if you'd been a bit kind to us, allowing us to beat a much larger and more powerful fleet.
    Actually the interesting thing was that we faced eighteen battleships and three battlecruisers with our thirteen battleships and two battlecruisers. This actually meant that their fleet wasn't that much larger. They only outnumbered us by five battleships and one battlecruiser. In these conditions they could hardly take advantage of their numbers and at a close range engagement our superior armour and gunnery did show.

Anyway what we have to thank for this victory is that blessed fog combined with our excellent decision of charging and the fact that we only faced a half of the Grand Fleet that existed at the start of this campaign. I think the conservative use of our forces while the more daring approach of the Brits ended up halving their strength at a crucial moment.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Aye, a suprise attack in the fog always shows off. I kinda was the only person who didn't want to charge in Nelson style, but then I didn't really think of this. In the fog you sometimes are able to take out 1 or 2 enemies before they can even do anything against you. And as Ducky said German ships are superior to British.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Interactive History V: The Duel of the Sea

Thanks very much for this excellent interactive history, Kraxis.

And to all other players: it was a great game. Thank you all.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Outstanding!

Thank you, Kraxis!

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    Aye, a suprise attack in the fog always shows off. I kinda was the only person who didn't want to charge in Nelson style, but then I didn't really think of this. In the fog you sometimes are able to take out 1 or 2 enemies before they can even do anything against you. And as Ducky said German ships are superior to British.
    I wouldn't go so far to call the German ships superior, but they were better able to take punishment, which could be vital at close range.

In the fog you had a number of advantages. You had initiative, your ships and crews knew what to expect and what was expected of them (the British obviously didn't), you were a coherent force (the British were a hastily assembled force) and you were able to nullify the numeric advantage of the British by forcing them to fiht you on an individual basis almost.

And yes, the British had been taking heavier losses until then due to aggressiveness and your relatively cautious movements. A lot of their ships were thus tied up in docks for repairs. Much like your own, but you could pull the halfrepaired ships out for a last mission while the British would not be able to do that to the same extent (they obviously didn't know what was going on until it was too late).

However, Furious was shaken off. And she did manage to connect with you again after having lost you during the night when you left (yup, you were spotted by her planes). That nearly cost you fleet if the British hadn't been adamant on protecting the convoys from Sweden (they had their battlecruisers try to ambush yours after the raid on the previous convoy, that was their last choice I think).

Thanks for answering my earlier questions Kraxis.

However, Furious was shaken off. And she did manage to connect with you again after having lost you during the night when you left (yup, you were spotted by her planes). That nearly cost you fleet if the British hadn't been adamant on protecting the convoys from Sweden (they had their battlecruisers try to ambush yours after the raid on the previous convoy, that was their last choice I think).
    So after we left for the final raid we were found by their planes, but we were saved because they thought that we were going after the convoys?

What was the impact of our mounting AAA on our zeps btw?

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

The British weren't sure what was going on and Furious stayed in place after spotting you leave. Only after the submarine's report did it become obvious to them.

The British had only planned a reverse of your own battlecruiser raid (ambush your battlecruisers as they would sneak towards Norway).
    Their battleships were however spread out to counter more landings, but some were sent out to find and engage you, expecting a 'usual' battle along the lines of the previous.
    When Furious spotted you first, the battlecruisers rushed south to engage you, in an attempt to hold you (and later just slow you down for the battleships to have time to converge on you).

Had they been at their right position, not expecting a raid, you would have been shadowed, and possibly the Strike Force would have been known all along. Luckily the relatively bad weather soon forced Furious out of the picture (when you restructured the alignment of the Forces).

The zep AA didn't end up making much impact. It was really meant as a possible counter for Furious and a possible raid by her on the main zep base in Jutland. The British just never chose it. And if they had, I would still have punished you. But it was meant for a more prolific use of both zeps and Furious where encounters would have been more frequent. As it happened both sides scaled back the use of these forces to a passive stance.
    Last edited by Kraxis; 11-08-2006 at 05:12.

Ah, thanks Kraxis.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Very nice IH Kraxis it was a fun read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Sorry I didn't get in on this much earlier.

1 C: Do a raid on Dover or the scandianavian convoys with either a fast battlecruiser force or a slower stronger battleship group.

I'd go for the Scandinavian Convoys. Trying to shell Dover would run right into the "spider web" flying-boat anti-submarine patrols off the Belgian Coast by this point in the war, and suprise would be lost.

2) B: Scale down usage on wireless.

Ships can be attached to landline telegraph and telephone communication while in port. There was never a good reason for all that chatter.

3) B: Keep them at home for the time being.

By the end of 1916, Zeppelin reconnaisance had compiled a record of being seriously spotty.

4) B: Keep them at home.

If anything, I'd strip old ships of usable crew. Attaining numerical superiority is impossible by any means. Surprise, secrecy and speed are the only ways to really get anything accomplished. Also, by this time many of the navy's best officers were at sea in the U-boat war.

5) B: Let them stay, they are some of the oldest ships in the active fleet.

As I said in #4, material parity cannot be attained.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

it's over m8

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Yeah we already won so whatever we did worked.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Btw guys, you might want to keep an eye on this thread for a while yet.

I might have been able to secure some nifty little flash maps of ships moving... Currently I will keep the source hidden until it might be ready (in case it won't be, then it would be unfair).

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Thanks Kraxis, that would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Kraxis - animations for christmas - you spoil us!!!!!!!

I would love to see what happened and find out more from the view from the other side.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031