View Poll Results: VI Champions For Charity

Voters
7. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I think it is a great idea.

1 14.29%
  • Yes, but I don’t have the money.

4 57.14%
  • No, I think the money should go to the winner.

1 14.29%
  • No, I wouldn’t waste my money.

1 14.29%

Thread: VI Champions For Charity

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Default VI Champions For Charity

Would you be interested in participating in a global singles competition, with an entrance fee of $10 per player, where all of the proceeds were donated to the charity-of-choice of the winner?
    Last edited by Tomisama; 01-13-2006 at 13:03.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Default Re: VI Champions For Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi says
    Would you be interested in participating in a global singles competition, with an entrance fee of $10 per player, where all of the proceeds were donated to the charity-of-choice of the winner?

Shouldnt there be a.
    I give £5 a month to Rspcc.
    £5 a month to Bernados.
    £5 a month to cancer reseatch
    and £5 a month to oxfam.

So I think they get enough already Option?

I have nothing against giving money away for charity generally, but I'm afraid I wouldn't actually want to pay for participating in a online tournament. Tomi btw I feel that an entrance fee might be counterproductive for what we're actually trying to accomplish.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

You are looking at a ten dollars.

I’m looking at thousands possible with matching funds.

Donated to a disaster relief organization (for example), by a game community.

News worthy?

You want to bring attention to the game and our community?

You want to bring back veterans and encourage new players?

You want the owners and developers to know we are here?

This is a way, maybe the only way.

Trust me, everything else has been done already.

For a measly ten bucks each, you get all of the above, plus the largest and most challenging competition ever devised for Total War gamming.

The total experience will be priceless…
    Last edited by Tomisama; 01-14-2006 at 16:30.

how much is $10 in £...

10 US Dollars is a little over 5 and a half Pounds, or 16 Marks, or 54 Franks, or 18 Gilders, or 15k Lire, or a little over 8 Euros.

I believe that’s close anyway
    Last edited by Tomisama; 01-14-2006 at 15:45.

Yep thats about how much it all costs,.

however. $10 usa buy's a LOT more than £5
    So it seems like its the uk people who woould be most likley to join up,

Let me say a little something about the dynamics of “vested interest”.

When people invest in a project, once they put their money down, their attention is fixed on the results. They naturally expect something in return, and pay close attention to it’s performance.

If that investment provides them passage to specific events, “they will be there” to make sure they get what they paid for. And because they now have that vested interest in what’s going on, they will encourage others to take the same step, and support those who do.

The entrance fee is a “bond” of special interest, which in this case provides an “especially” motivated competition, that furthers the preservation and advancement of the game.

The money does not have to go to charity, we could give it to the winners no problem. I don’t think that there would be to much trouble with awarding a $50 to $100 prize to the regional Champions, and a $500 to $1,000 prize to a Global Grand Champion. But it would not afford us the recognition and good will from the powers that be, which we have always wanted.

How much is this game worth to you to you personally? You paid your interest fee to play the game (it’s cost), and then to play the expansion (it’s cost). But how long ago was that?

If you had to pay the same amount every year to continue playing, would it be worth it to you? The cost of both games sold together now is under twenty dollars, and I am only suggesting a contest entry fee of ten. Is it worth it to rejuvenate VI for another year?

Last edited by Tomisama; 01-14-2006 at 19:28.

Please forgive my insensitivity in this matter.

If we were to do this as a charity thing, entrance fees could be waved for those who simply could not afford it.

That would be no problem

Sound better now?

Well sounds better for me!
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

I think its a great idea Tomi im up for it. 10 dollars is well worth it imo for what we, and other people will get in return and i think all the money should go to a good cause rather than to the winner.

Its 10 bucks that might be blown on somthing a lot less productive and besides, tourneys are fun :)
    [VDM]BuuKenshin

hmm im in, but i doubt i can give you any money

Fear is the Mind Killer Member cromwell's Avatar

I like the Idea. Thsi could bring great recognition to the community. This could have multiple after effects.

I support this idea.

Cromwell.
    I will not fear
    Fear is the mindkiller,
    Fear is the little death
    That brings total Oblivion
    I will permit my fear to pass
    Over me and through me
    And where it has gone
    I will turn the inner eye
    Nothing will be there
    Only I will remain.

I dont mind playing for money. I wont put any money in though if not all particapants have to. All who can afford a comp, an internetconnection and a compgame should be able to afford 10 bucks if they really want to participate.

Also id like to know who think he is honest enough to handle the money until the tourney is over. Or in what other way that is to be solved.

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.

I dont mind playing for money. I wont put any money in though if not all particapants have to. All who can afford a comp, an internetconnection and a compgame should be able to afford 10 bucks if they really want to participate.
    I agree...but maybe I'm being insensitive. 10 bucks is nothing as long as its a one time fee...overall I think it's a great idea. I'm willing to pledge my contribution for the good of the existing community, having the money go to a good cause is just an added bonus! Ask not what the community can do for you, ask what you can do for the community!
    Hunter King George Visit the Realm of the Hunters:
    Proud participant of the Code of Honor. Have you signed the code?

Also id like to know who think he is honest enough to handle the money until the tourney is over. Or in what other way that is to be solved.
    Well I am currently holding $150 worth of BI Expansion Packs for our Roman IV Competition winners. So you can probably trust me with that much anyway

But seriously, the money would be held in a PayPal account, with multiple authorizations required for pay out (which I think is possible, but will have to check). In any case, we would find some way to accomplish the same level of security

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.

This sounds like fun, and I'd probably be up for it as long as all of the money went to charity. The winners don't need a cash prize. The right to attach the title "MTW VI World Champion" or "British Champion" or whatever else to their signatures online should be enough motivation to win. I'm not sure about the regional champions though, since the beginning bracket for the tournament would almost have to be random. You would never get anywhere if you tried to organize the opening brackets. There would just be too many arguments over how to do it.

On another note, you could make the tournament double-elimination with an additional fee required to gain entry to the "looser's bracket."

The biggest logistical hurdle I see is payment of entry fees and confirmation of that payment. Most people have different names at the org and the MP Lobby, because the same names aren't always available. They will have yet another name on their paypal account. All of this means that someone who is oranizing this thing is going to have to have access to a lot of information about the entrants, maybe even real identities. Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion though.

If smarter people than me can make this thing work, I'll gladly throw down a few bucks for charity and take part.
    'People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.'

—George Orwell

Clan Silent Assassins Member Faust|'s Avatar

Except for being 1v1, its an ok idea. Why not make it 2v2 and charge each person an entry fee? I think participation will be at a maximum at 2v2 since its not too hard to coordinate but draws more interest than a 1v1.

10$ = 40 pln quite much, especially I'm weak in 1 vs 1 and there is no option I might win. Anyway i think this tourney would be good option, but what rules Tomi and which game. Some of us love shogun, some medieval, some rome. Choosing only one champion would be extremely hard.

If you want organise it - you must provide good "carrot". Something more than just a announcement and nice awatar.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

Just testing the water to see where people stand on the idea in general.

There was a small group of concerned citizens who were working behind the scenes on ideas to help re-grow the Total War community.

One idea expressed was to have a cash prize contest with money donated by our group ($100) or by an entry fee ($1,000).

Then the images of super players playing just for the pot, and the whole thing turning into something similar to a gambling event, kind of spoiled things.

The competition for charity had a much more honourable ring to it, so posted to see how others felt about it.

The response was fairly good I believe, but sadly our community is really too small at the moment to raise a reasonably significant sum. So this will have to go on the back burner for a while.

Jumping into the future (hopefully not too far away).

One of these days, teams will be dueling it out on the battlefield while others watch real-time server dispersed feeds of the match in progress (the same as being sent to the players by the host). Then Total War gamming will take it’s true place as not only the best multiplayer game on the planet, but also as a spectacular spectator sport.

Maybe then having folks make pelages to donate for entry onto the Total War gaming world stage, will be as common place as buying a movie ticket
    Last edited by Tomisama; 02-25-2006 at 03:43.

I think I know what would be real prize but CA's help is necessary.
    Imagine this prize - winners nick and his clan tag into new totalwar game.
    For example as "old centurion" into tutorial, or as a banner appearing during logging on.
    CA's help is absolutely necessary and I doubt it will pass. But it would be most honorable thing for TW player.

Anyway I reconsidered and I think I would join :) Don't care about prizes or honor. Just for fun.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust