Thread: Medieval Modding News Round Up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Default Medieval Modding News Round Up

This is a new thread, suggested by Aenarion, designed to keep you up-to-date with any modding developments in the Medieval Total War community. They may be a little thin off the ground these days, but there are some excellent mods still in development for Medieval.

In development

Pike and Musket

Cegorach's development on his very-impressive looking 16-17th century mod continues apace, and it looks like a highly ambitious project. I believe we can expect the latest and greatest version of it fairly soon. Check out this thread for latest developments and also some pics:

P&M Thread

Age of Warlords - Total War

My own latest effort, hopefully it will be out around Easter, not promising anything though, Summer latest. You can learn more about it here:

Age of Warlords thread

Silmarillion: Total War

Aenarion assures us that this mod is not dead, and lets hope not eh - it looks very impressive! You can keep up to date with it here:

Silmarillion Thread

Beta stages

Wes' Medmod IV: Path to Glory

Wes has been modding Medieval since the early days, and his work continues with his latest efforts on his ever expanding Medmod. Its still in the beta stages I believe at the minute but Updates are very frequent and you can udownload and discuss it by consulting this thread:

Medmod Thread

Fall of Rome - Total War

An excellent mod, Fall of Rome was recently expanded by the release of a new map. You can download and read about the mod here:

Fall of Rome thread

If I've left anyone out I'm sorry, just let me know ok? Finished mods such as Napoleon, Hellenic, BKB Super Mod and XL I have neglected to post. All threads relating to these can be found in the Engineers Guild, with download links and information normally in the first post. All updates for mods can be posted briefly in this thread in future. Thanks.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 02-08-2006 at 19:31.

MTW Modder and Supporter Member Aenarion's Avatar

Default Re: Medieval Modding News Round Up

Well done BKB! Thankyou for posting this list of Mods and regarding the Silmarillion Mod, it is still progressing!

Thanks alot again,
    Aenarion
    Silmarillion:TotalWar -A modification for MTW:VI
    Pls visit our website at: Silmarillion Mod
    And our Silmarillion Topic
    Modding Links:
    Alchemist Lab and Repository

Well if you've got a good pic mate feel free to send it to me, I'll put it up here. I've also got a couple of recent modding discoveries founded by people that I'll post later.

MTW Modder and Supporter Member Aenarion's Avatar

BKB I've sent you the picture u've asked me for. Oh and btw regarding ur comment
    I've also got a couple of recent modding discoveries founded by people that I'll post later
    I'm still waiting for them! lol!

Thanks,
    Aenarion
    Silmarillion:TotalWar -A modification for MTW:VI
    Pls visit our website at: Silmarillion Mod
    And our Silmarillion Topic
    Modding Links:
    Alchemist Lab and Repository

Flavius Claudius Julianus Member NodachiSam's Avatar

Nice idea BKB!
    Please check out my art http://calcaneus.deviantart.com/

Ok a small update. These two 'new discoveries' I mention are as follows, sorry if you already know them and they come as disappointment to you:

Changing units prior to battle engagments:

You know how you can dismount some units prior to battle? Well Cegorach has discovered something so fiendishly simple yet brilliant that I can't believe no one has ever tried before - you can do it with any units! For example, you may want to switch between Armoured and Unarmoured Pikemen in desert conditions. Here's pics of Cegorach's achievement:

And a word from the discoverer:

And FINALLY my pride - the result of lack of modding during Christmas.

I used something which was here all the time, but I really thought that I cannot do it, because it is so... rude and obviously will result in CTD, but... it didn't so it gives some really huge opportunities in making units which can change into different ones infantry to another infantry, infantry to cavalry, cavalry to cavalry, infantry to artillery etc.
    Its not essential but it looks good, so for the 'Change Battle Mode' text, first go into 'Changes' and find the line:

["CanDismountBeforeBattle_Tip"] {"Can dismount before battle"}

And change the latter to something more appropriate like 'Can change battle mode before battle'.

To finish it off, then go into 'Battle' and find this section:

////////////////////////////////////
    // Mounting / Dismounting
    ["Dismounted"] {"(Dismounted)"}
    ["Dismount/Remount"] {"Dismount / Remount"} // Right menu command
    ["Dismounting not allowed"] {"Dismounting not allowed"}

Change the text in the {} boxes to what you want, like 'Battle Mode Changed' and 'Change Battle Mode' as Cegorach has done and you'll be done I believe. I haven't tried it yet though so I'm not 100% sure if that's all you have to do. Please LMK if it isn't.

And I think that's all there is to it. I'm assuming you'll know where to add whether or not a unit can 'dismount/remount' into a certain other unit. If you don't know where to specify if a unit can change 'Battle mode' so to speak, go into the unit_prod files and have a look at where the dismount for a cavalry unit already in the game is stated. Now apply that in the same position for another unit using the Gnome Editor and 'voila!', it should work fine!

A great discovery that I hope Ceg doesn't mind me posting, and one that's sure to come in handy. I know I shall be using it at least!
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 02-08-2006 at 19:49.