Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jihads

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Default Re: Jihads

But you have to agree that the local authorities woul not take kindly to a foreign preacher converting their subjects to a hostile religion... At some point they would remove the troublemaker. So the troublemaker stops at a point.

I prefer to keep Jihads defensive, if anything just to make them different.
    They are after all in MTW quite a lot better than Crusades (keeping 5-6 of them ready would grant you an 'insta-army' of quite good troops if you ever lost a province).
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Honestly, if MTW2 can have even HALF the complexity that people are talking about, it will truly be one the finest games I will ever play...

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    But you have to agree that the local authorities woul not take kindly to a foreign preacher converting their subjects to a hostile religion... At some point they would remove the troublemaker. So the troublemaker stops at a point.

Oh, I completely agree. I'm just saying that if we want to limit the number of religous agents players and the AI can dispatch to provinces (in order to prevent the cheesy tactic of "spamming" them with a mob of Bishops/Imams), that we don't want them to be so easy to kill. Otherwise it would be a serious waste of money to keep training religious agents that die *too* easily....
    Last edited by Martok; 01-26-2006 at 20:09.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

As far as I remember, I used to launch Jihads on my lost provinve and go attack other provinces with the armies.. Then I'd take back that province.
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    I prefer to keep Jihads defensive, if anything just to make them different.
    They are after all in MTW quite a lot better than Crusades (keeping 5-6 of them ready would grant you an 'insta-army' of quite good troops if you ever lost a province).
    Plus, winning with 5 jihads at once gave you an enormous boost of influence.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Yeah that too...
    Perhaps Jihads will still work this way? One could hope.
    At least I used to fear when a Jihad was sent against me.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default Jihads

I wonder if Jihads will be correctly modeled in the new MTW. In the old MTW version, a Jihad could be declared by an Islamic leader only for a piece of land they used to own. In history, however, Jihad was mostly known as an expansionist holy war for spreading Islam to non-believer lands (the 'lands of war'). The last of these Islamic "crusades" were carried out relatively recently: in Southern Sahara in Africa by the beginning of the XX'th century before the French stopped it...

[Moderator note: threads merged.]
    Last edited by econ21; 01-27-2006 at 22:37.

As I clarified about that above. To spread Islam into 'non-believers-lands' is not obligated. To regain an Islamic land that was conquered is obligated.
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12