Thread: Expansion: Napoleonic Invasion?

Default Expansion: Napoleonic Invasion?

Any ideas what *Invasion* the expansion will be?

"Audacity, always audacity!" Member Simmons's Avatar

Default Re: Expansion: Napoleonic Invasion?

I'd say Napoleonic is a good bet having guns at the end of MIITW gives CA time to play around with them and if they get them wrong in the original release they can get them right in the Expansion.

Having guns at the end of the time period helps with that possibility to.

“By push of bayonets, no firing till you see the whites of their eyes”
    - Friedrich der Große

or possible the arrival of the europeans at the americas...
    Hey, Im back

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Hmmm . . . game ends in 1530 . . . Napoleon shows up about 1800 . . . 270 years between the action of the main game and the expansion seems a bit much. There's room for another whole game or two in between.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Napoleon come in on the next full game, but I think the expansion to Medieval 2 will (and certainly should) have at least something to do with the Middle Ages!
    Could be Ottomans, or back to Vikings, or a complete surprise, but I'd like to see something to bring the Dark Ages into the game. The first half of the Middle Ages keeps getting overlooked.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish
    Hmmm . . . game ends in 1530 . . . Napoleon shows up about 1800 . . . 270 years between the action of the main game and the expansion seems a bit much. There's room for another whole game or two in between.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Napoleon come in on the next full game, but I think the expansion to Medieval 2 will (and certainly should) have at least something to do with the Middle Ages!
    Could be Ottomans, or back to Vikings, or a complete surprise, but I'd like to see something to bring the Dark Ages into the game. The first half of the Middle Ages keeps getting overlooked.

Ajax
    Logic would point to a revamp of VI. But I would hope they shoot a little higher, something new.

Just a history question, my knowledge of the era is limited at best. The Ottoman Empire was Turkey and Syria, Iraq all those sort of countries correct? Well aren't the Turks already in it (M2TW)? What is the difference between The Turks and the Ottomans?

Definately it's the invasion of America. The original game is going to have the Aztecs and you are able to sail to the new world so the most logical thing to do would be to expand this feature in the expansion and add even more Indian factions.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Most definitely either the conquering of the America's, in which the Spanish and Portugese will probably play a big part, along with the Spanish Armada and England's victory over them, or just continuing with Europe, but showing the renaissance, and gunpowder's eventual overtaking of the sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Maybe theyll do Shogun as the rehash expansion pack? Theyll need a new map to represent Japan, but that would be less work than the Americas. Same with cultural voice packs and symbols etc etc. Theyve already done the historical research for the first game. Time saved there. And the unit/building tech trees are less time consuming than what would be required for doing a New World option. It would be relatively quicker than a lot of other options and would get all the rehashes out of the way.

An idea could be expanding the Mongol Invasion.
    Start from Temujin's rise as Mongol leader(1206) to the fall of the Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty(1368).
    Extend the map to cover the East.
    Campaign map would stretch from the Californias to the Japans.

But I know its just wishful thinking...

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Probably the conquest of the Americas, it would also give them a chance to have a different type of map again (aren't they tired of Europe after MTW, RTW,BI and now MTWII ?).

But a feudal Japan expansion pack would be awesome...
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Most likely the expansion pack won't be a whole lot different from the first game, meaning no NTW,since that'll be mostly gunpowder...
    Abandon all hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Sand
    Theyve already done the historical research for the first game.
    No, they didn't.

Default Sv: Re: Expansion: Napoleonic Invasion?

Conquering of Americas.
    Napoleonic era needs naval battles and I think we will have to wait for a new engine for that.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

It'll probably be 'New World Conquest' or something along those lines but I think the game should have ended earlier than 1530 and then the expansion could have been the 'Ottoman Invasion' instead.

Defeater of the Wicker People Member The Darkhorn's Avatar

I wish they would step backward and do Charlemagne...a very neglected subject in board and PC games.
    We are men of action...lies do not become us.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Yes a 'Dark Age' expansion would be good too, although I can't help but feel that after the 'Viking Invasion' CA won't want to make the expansion that similar. IMO the actual game should have started off at 800AD.

Germany, BW, Ich bin kein Schwabe, sondern Badner!

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign
    Just a history question, my knowledge of the era is limited at best. The Ottoman Empire was Turkey and Syria, Iraq all those sort of countries correct? Well aren't the Turks already in it (M2TW)? What is the difference between The Turks and the Ottomans?
    The Turkeys are the Ottoman. The Ottoman empire was leaded by the Turkeys.
    The empire exists til 1918-22. Syria and the Iraq belongs to turkey til 1918

I guess the expansion pack^will play in america.

EDIT: i have remarked that the Ottman empire was founded in the middle of the 14 century that means you can`t play it in 10xx

EDIT 2: perhabs the crusader war as expansion pack
    Last edited by Antiochius; 01-22-2006 at 17:34.
    The Enemy of my enemy isn`t my friend.

Some quotes of my prefer philospher Sepp Herberger :

"The round have to be in the bracket"
    "The play takes 90 minutes"
    "After the play is before a play"

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

I think the most logical choice for an expansion would be to expand the game going from 1530-1783, this way covering the period of colonisation in the Americas, the 30 years war, wars of succession, 7 years war, then the American revolution (emerging faction in New England province? )

At least that's what I hope they do
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Napoleonic????? No thanks.

........Orda

Medieval II: European Invasion

Robbing the rich since 1066 Member Lord Armbandit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverKnight
    I think the most logical choice for an expansion would be to expand the game going from 1530-1783, this way covering the period of colonisation in the Americas, the 30 years war, wars of succession, 7 years war, then the American revolution (emerging faction in New England province? )

At least that's what I hope they do

Damn it, I keep looking down these boards for something original to say and someone always beats me to it! I agree entirely with SilverKnight on this one, 1530-1783 would rock!

Only problem I can see would be length of the period (the expansions have all been pretty short so far)

Big inevitable theme would be conquest of america, so to keep it fun it could end up being any faction that wins over there, there is also a lot of tactical and strategic difference between the troops at the start and close of the period.

Alternatively, there could be a dark ages expansion, but covering the whole of Europe instead of just focusing on the British Isles - we can have serious Muslim expansion, Vikings, Charlemagne. Could be very very good, and if Napoleonic is the next full game after MTW2, perhaps the bits up to 17th/18th century would be better off attached to that?
    Voting is an illusion to allow the common man to believe he has some control.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Perhaps Arabic invasion? Could be quite interesting with the khaliphate(s), the Franks, the Visigothic Spain, the berber tribes, the declining Sassanid empire, the Byzantines and the Khazar khaganate. Other possibilities are ottoman invasion, viking invasion (maybe with larger map which would make AoVaF mod partly obsolte ), invasion of the Americas, or Mongol invasion (although that's already in MTW2 main game so perhaps not too likely...). Or maybe it'll be something totally unexpected...?
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

hello to you all! Member Samurai Fanatic's Avatar

Perhaps they may just do the rennesance (cant remember how to spell )like citadel total war are doing or even when portugal finally found japan in the Sengekou Jidai period to revive Shogun:tw as well
    Last edited by Samurai Fanatic; 01-23-2006 at 17:35.
    1000 warriors is the start of a great empire

I really want a Swedish Invasion expansion.
    Conquer a whole new world.

Development - Discussion

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

It's gonna deal with the New World...

Quote Originally Posted by Lentonius
    or possible the arrival of the europeans at the americas...
    Yep, that's it, either "Spanish Invasion" focuing on the Spanish Conquest or "New World Invasion" with the Spanish, Portuguese, English, French, and Dutch competing against various Indian factions.

I think "turkish invasion" or however they may name it is not unlikely.
    Also it would really be my preferred setting.

Maybe they'll pull a Shogun on us with an invasion that "might have happened", like the Mongols reaching Japan in STW. I hope not. I like my campaigns grounded in reality, thank you.