Thread: Vassals

Default Vassals

I wonder if it will be possible to make small/beaten up factions become your vassal, just like the protectorates in RTW... I don't know if it would be good or bad for the gameplay, but I think it would be somewhat historically accurate.
    This post was not written by a native English speaker, we apologise for the fault in the grammar and spelling.

Default Re: Vassals

Yea, and they could send you troops when you needed them

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I really like this idea as well. Although as you pointed out, I have no idea how it would affect gameplay, or how difficult it would be to program and implement.
    Last edited by Martok; 01-24-2006 at 06:58.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

great Idea, do hope that if they incorporate it in MTW2 it will work better than in Rome.

Meaning that the protectorates still expand, build, tech-up instead of doing nothing they usually do in Rome.

They should also be your allies through and through, not siding with the enemy as soon as they can ( i.e. Rome ).

If those basic needs are put in the game, I'd be a happy man

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

In theory then, that would mean that England would have to start as a vassal of the French.

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Quote Originally Posted by Hambut_bulge
    In theory then, that would mean that England would have to start as a vassal of the French.
    NEVER!!!

When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

I'm a fan of expanding this idea too. Some factions that are a bit beat up could also ask to be your vassal to get themselves some protection. Just so you don't have to defeat a faction numerous times to force them to be your vassal.

eg - You are playing HRE. Byzantium has attacked through the balkans and has besieged Hungary in its last city. A hungarian diplomat arrives at your court promising to be your vassal if you attack Byzantium and lift the siege.

Hmh... I think vassals should help you with their troops, but if you have a low-influence king or the vassal has a powerful army he should try to get his full independence back, that would also be historycally correct.
    This post was not written by a native English speaker, we apologise for the fault in the grammar and spelling.

Germany, BW, Ich bin kein Schwabe, sondern Badner!

It `s a good idea, but i hope they`ll make it more usefull than in RTW. In RTW, it was rather unnessesary than useful
    The Enemy of my enemy isn`t my friend.

Some quotes of my prefer philospher Sepp Herberger :

"The round have to be in the bracket"
    "The play takes 90 minutes"
    "After the play is before a play"

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambut_bulge
    Only if France itself is only constituted by the Ile de France and Orleans, the rest of the country being mere vassals of the Crown. Thus the player would only be able to recruit from those two tiny provinces.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Vassals would be a great idea!

The problem with Protectorates in RTW was that once they became your protectorate there wasn't really much you could do with them afterwards.

I want to see more options for intergration such as taxes, money requests, troop requests, making your vassal pay to establish trade routes with your cities etc. These things would benefit you and actually make vassals worthwhile.

But yeah if they get bigger with expansion then eventually they could get angry enough to rebel and try to break away.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajanus
    Vassals would be a great idea!

The problem with Protectorates in RTW was that once they became your protectorate there wasn't really much you could do with them afterwards.

I want to see more options for intergration such as taxes, money requests, troop requests, making your vassal pay to establish trade routes with your cities etc. These things would benefit you and actually make vassals worthwhile.

But yeah if they get bigger with expansion then eventually they could get angry enough to rebel and try to break away.
    /me prays for this
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Ah, unattainable dreams. Nice, eh?

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Vassals

Quote Originally Posted by King Noob the Stupid
    Hmh... I think vassals should help you with their troops, but if you have a low-influence king or the vassal has a powerful army he should try to get his full independence back, that would also be historycally correct.
    You can say that again! I agree. The vassals are very good idea!
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

It would be nice if you could dictate policies for your vassals like "attack faction X" or "hunt down enemy spies".

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight
    Yea, and they could send you troops when you needed them
    Very much so. This is what I wanted ages ago, for alliances etc to be realistic

......Orda