Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medieval: Total Realism

Default Medieval: Total Realism

Ladies and gentlemen,

Following CA’s announcement of the next Total War opus, Medieval II: Total War, it is an honour and a privilege for me to officially announce the logical sequel of the award winning Rome: Total Realism (“Best modification for Rome: Total War – Total War Center”):

Medieval: Total Realism

As a matter of fact, Total Realism fans will be able to rely on another multi-talented team made of the best modders in the business. The masterminds who brought you Rome: Total Realism, Caius Britannicus – Lead Skinner, chigga – Lead Modeller, Nzike – Lead Scripter, Dark89 – Lead Coder, will work together once again, along with the rest of the team to give you, the fans, the most thrilling experience in the history of war gaming. MTR will reach a never-been-seen level of realism and will make the immersion so complete that you will truly be Henry V’s brother as you shed your blood with him at Agincourt.

Of course, we are aware that Medieval II: Total War is far from the stores but our team will do a lot of research during summer, concept arts for units, factions (banners, shields), etc so that when the game hits the shelves, we’re ready to begin actual modding. As an example of what a concept drawing looks like, here’s a Norman helmet and a French sargeant both made by Caius. Our main objective is to provide YOU, the players, with a high quality product while setting new standards of efficiency and professionalism.

Now Total War fan, fetch your gear and embark on the ship sailing for the Holy Land of MTR. War for Total Realism has begun, and it’s going Medieval.

Thank you very much and stay tuned for more updates on the most anticipated Total War modification, Medieval: Total Realism.

- Important facts: Rome Total realism (100,000+ downloads of the latest 6.x release, most active team in the community, 6 released versions, dozens of released patches, featured if major gaming magazines throughout the world and first major modification released for RTW - http://www.totalwar.com/community/rome.htm ) would like to remind you that the development of RTR 7.0 is still continuing as planned.
    - Medieval: Total Realism is NOT affiliated with Rome: Total realism except for the composition of the team and the name of the modification. MTR is NOT an undertaking of the actual RTR team.
    Last edited by 3.14; 01-28-2006 at 02:45.

Default Re: Medieval: Total Realism

With a bit of luck we will not have to rely on Mods to provide 'realism'

......Orda

Maybe. But you know, Shogun once said what was CA's opinion vis-à-vis realism. I don't have the quote under hand but I would be surprised if they went 100% realistic. If they want to make the game attractive for a wider audience, they need colours, style, grandeur, which aren't exactly what realism mods are looking for.

Thanks,

Ach!

Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

This is good to know. RTR is such a vast improvement on the original that an MTR will certainly move things in the right direction wherever CA should happen to fall short.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Good luck Achilles and the MTR team!
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Hopefully it won't be needed, but good luck :cheers:
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

"with a bit of luck"? "hopefully"? haha... i don't know how anyone can be THAT optimistic about the historical accuracy aspect.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

There will always be room for improvement
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Why not call this the official pesimism thread, lol.

Nah to be honest I really hope this isn't needed, but good luck anyway.

I didn´t even need RTR so far....maybe i can just live happily in my ignorance, as long as the inaccurate, bare-chested guys on my screen are fun to play.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Exclamation Re: Medieval: Total Realism

! Refrain from mod / game bashing!

Read the forum rules.
    Abandon all hope.

Well I'm not pessimistic. I just have my own vision of the type of development CA is working on. It's great but they just have to make choices and as I said, if they want to reach the wider audiences, they'll have to make it generally attractive and eye catching. So in order to do this, they'll probably drop on realism but the base product will still kick ass I'm sure.

Thanks,

Ach!

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

very early announcement, should have waited till after the release to get things started
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles!
    Well I'm not pessimistic. I just have my own vision of the type of development CA is working on. It's great but they just have to make choices and as I said, if they want to reach the wider audiences, they'll have to make it generally attractive and eye catching. So in order to do this, they'll probably drop on realism but the base product will still kick ass I'm sure.

Thanks,

Ach!
    I was joking, no game will be totally accurate. I think it's great what you guys are doing. Now my knowledge about your team is sketchy. But last time I knew Caius had left RTR?? But he is coming back for MTR correct???

MTR isn't RTR. They are seperate teams and seperate organizations. Its also a different time period, one I'm more interested in.
    Creator of The Crusades a complete modification for Barbarian Invasion
    Can a man love a mod? No, probably not. But here, at The Crusades, we believe in unnatural loves stories!

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Caius, I am glad you are planning to work on this already. Your work is superb. Perhaps the best thing about RTW compared to STW and MTW, in my opinion, is how it attracted so much attention from modders - and especially that from big teams such as RTR and EB.

CA produces amazing engines for real time battles, but (understandably) is not targeting the niche of gamers wanting hardcore historical wargames. I appreciate the way they leave the door open for modders to fill that niche.

Quote Originally Posted by caius britannicus
    MTR isn't RTR. They are seperate teams and seperate organizations. Its also a different time period, one I'm more interested in.
    Sorry I misunderstood. It's jsut in Achilles' post it said 'sequel', which made me link it to RTR. Also it said 'the masterminds that brought you'. Just the wording confused me, my apologies.

Anyway, after seeing what your doing with this area in The Crusades, it makes me think that this will be an excellent mod.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Will there alse be a Euoropa medieval mod
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

I wonder too!
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

If you're talking about a Medieval EB, I will talk to Khelvan about it. What I want to avoid is another "RTR vs EB" competition. I know him well anyway so I'm sure that we'll be able to make an honest deal. ;)

Cheers!

Ach!

Oh and yes I said "Logical sequel" because MTR isn't 100% unrelated to RTR. As I said in the little disclaimer, "MTR is NOT an undertaking of the actual RTR team."

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

If you're talking about a Medieval EB, I will talk to Khelvan about it.
    Very good idea. Healthy competition is all well and good, but here I think it might end up being a pointless duplication of work and waste of scarce modder time.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I suggest, perhaps, a different name than "Medieval: Total Realism." It associates the project with the RTR team, which has it's own problems. I don't have a good alternative, but leaving it MTR in my opinion causes too many problems. Like "Total Realism" in general, it seems to be a challenge, as if only this mod is realistic, or that it is the be-all and end-all for historical accuracy. I know that isn't what you say or mean, but that's just the way it sounds. In contrast, "Europa Barbarorum" could mean anything.

My (probably unwelcomed) $0.02 on the name of the project.

My other $0.02 involves praising the initiative and saying how needed this will be. I hope you guys really research and everything.

And I hope you'll find people outside of the RTR team to help you guys! New blood, more creativity, all that jazz.

We do have more than just RTR people working on the mod. Of course, those I mentionned in the announcement are all RTR guys but we have a lot of quality people from outside of the community and are still looking to add some more.

As for the name, well I don't think that we'll change it. It means what it means but I'll stick with the philosophy of "The best idea is always your first". But thanks anyway for your 2 cents.

Ach!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Very good idea. Healthy competition is all well and good, but here I think it might end up being a pointless duplication of work and waste of scarce modder time.
    Yes, i think it would be good to group the realism mods together, something like has been done for the hl2 mod 'black mesa', with the different mod teams working together for a more efficient and better mod.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir
    ! Refrain from mod / game bashing!

Read the forum rules.
    A little on the heavy handed side Mithrandir? I see no evidence of serious game or mod bashing. A few light hearted comments containing minor critical opinions can hardly be called bashing

......Orda

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I think the warning was mostly intended to be pre-emptive.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

he actually deleted a post by someone who said some pretty harsh stuff.
    Creator of The Crusades a complete modification for Barbarian Invasion
    Can a man love a mod? No, probably not. But here, at The Crusades, we believe in unnatural loves stories!

Dear god you have no confidence in CA do you

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I think it's not so much lack of confidence in CA as a realization that CA's market is broader than just us history nerds.
    Just a realistic way of looking at what we want and what we can expect. I'm hoping for (and reasonably confident of) getting a great game from CA. However there are probably going to be little things that bug me about its historical accuracy, as there are in just about any 'historical' movie, game, etc. I don't know why historical accuracy doesn't sell to a mainstream audience, because it seems so much cooler than fiction to me, but I realize I'm not representative of your average entertainment consumer. It's nice to know I can rely on others who share my eccentricities to help with this, though. Thanks MTR!

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Depends... I'm pretty confident about CA releasing a pretty goddamn good game that will give us a lot of possibilities in terms of modding, with a decent AI and with cool new features. On the other hand, I'm not too confident about the realistic aspect of the game. Now one can love the game without being 100% satisfied by the realism of it right ?

Interpret that as you like.

Ach!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast