Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Medieval: Total Realism

Default Re: Medieval: Total Realism

Well, I applaud the Total Realism guys for all of their efforts and the countless hours required to make up a great Mod. I personally loved RTR and it made the original vanilla Rome a much more challenging and engaging game.

As for planning a TR for MTW2 I am definitely looking forward to seeing what you guys will do with whatever CA finally delivers. From all of their promotions it seems they are focusing on the graphic aspects and have not mentioned as much about adjusting gameplay which is precisely where your efforts can add balance.

I was also wondering... not that I'm encouraging it mind you but has anyone tried reverse engineering some of the hardcoded aspects of the game to adjust gameplay? I know CA has given great leeway in adjusting the game but there are still things that could be vastly improved with a little tweaking.

Man, I can't wait to take to the field in full glory my Katakaphroi charging deep into ranks of the Catholics as my Byzantine Infantry cut swaths through their lines... All in the name of the Orthodox church of course.
    "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

-- Genghis Khan

Cracking the hardcode, so to say, is technically illegal. I know some people tried to. I also know if they succeeded or not. And I also know that no one from the MTR team tried it and that if anyone of them would ever try to do something illegal, they'd get booted.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ach!

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

Denster, wait till u see some of the concepts in reserve we got:

Elite Byzantine peasants with irresistible complaints and high morale in riot conditions. :P

I'm responsible for Byzantine concepts and we've got them in reserve. So ur at the majesty and terrible power of Achilles. Bow before his mighty wireless mouse!!!
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

CA usually didn't invent from scratch units , this happened for rome TW with Arcani and flaming pigs , screeching wimen etc ..... all laughed becouse they didn't know they where really present in history .....now will probably happen the same....

here from wikipedia

The Third Battle of Panipat took place on January 14, 1761 at Panipat (Haryana State, India) about 80 miles (130 km) north of Delhi, between the Maratha forces of north-western India aiding their allies, the Mughal Empire, and Afghan forces under Ahmad Shah Abdali. It is believed that nearly 100,000 people either died or were injured on both sides in the one-day battle, though some historians estimate the total to be nearer to 60,000.

In response, the Afghan officers stiffened their troops resistance. Abdali sent his body guards to call up his reserves of 10,000 from his camp and arranged it as column right in front his and cavalry of musketeers, and swivel mounted cannons on the back of camels. because of their positioning on camels they could fire an extensive salvo over the heads of their own infantry and at the Maratha cavalry, who were unable to withstand the rifled muskets and camel-mounted swivel cannons of the Afghans.

this stated the use of camel mounted cannos wich to me seems even more digfficult to believe than a elephant mounted cannon ..... but it was there historically true .... believe it or not ,realism is made via proves and archeology , not suppositions that if u don't think is possible then it is not...

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

Find me ten evidences of the use of such a unit and then hey we might consider it. Of course flaming pigs have been used. Of course some arcani-type unit existed and screeching women also. But when their use hadn't been misinterpreted, they had only been used once or twice which isn't enough (at least not in my opinion) to steal a unit slot from a more frequently used unit.

Wrong , they where re once or twice , but their use probably went far beyond that number if where used effectively ....ported may be

Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

The thing about camels may be a Wikipedia mistake. I'm pretty sure they were elephants, which were also used--according to a small number of sources and in small numbers--with mounted cannons (really just large calibre muskets) in battles with the EIC and the Portuguese.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

No. It is not a mistake. It was an established practice in armies in central Asia to put guns on the backs of camels. They were called zanburaks.

I must say that from what I know , I ' have read and seen the CA reconstructions are historically quite accurate this time , I don't think there could be the need of a Realism mod as for the units , at least we could need a more nice texture pack , but units are really more accurate historically speacking than they where for rtw ....

Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

You got a problem soldier ? If you want to keep up a anti-realism-mods propaganda, well suit yourself. Just keep it out of here from now on. We continue as planned and there isn't a single person who will make us change our minds.

Thanks,

Ach!

Moderator note: edited for language
    Last edited by econ21; 02-26-2006 at 23:22.

Someone is a ... posting "propaganda" just because he doesn't agree with everything you say or think? Rofl

Moderator note: edited for language.
    Last edited by econ21; 02-26-2006 at 23:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Mental
    Someone is a ... posting "propaganda" just because he doesn't agree with everything you say or think? Rofl
    Just because Prom doesn't agree with the need for a Total Realism mod doesn't mean you should call him a ...

He's just obviously a big fan of vanilla TW games and doesn't need more realism than what comes out of the box.

As for Camels and Elephants equipped with cannons, I think putting large cannons on wheels and drawing them is a much more effective means of using such heavy artillery.

I don't think the guns that brought down the walls of Constantinople were on the backs of Elephants... Or Camels for that matter...

They'd be too small to be used for anything short of trying to hit some infantry, the animals would be too easy to spook or drive off of the field, and would more than likely be too inaccurate and hard to reload to make a huge difference in any battle, or I'm sure they'd be a lot more than just an obscure reference.

IMHO, a nice experiment, just like flaming pigs, that never gained much more use than that.

Moderator note: edited for language.
    Last edited by econ21; 02-26-2006 at 23:24.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Achilles, you just got your thread closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123