Page 43 of 114 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Romulus My Father. Very sad, moving and powerful.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Children of Men- Took the third time to watch it to really appreciate this movie. I kinda have a thing for dysotopic(I hope I spelled that right lol) movies n what not. Clive Owen is excellent in this movie imho and does a great job from scene to scene. I will say that the one of the last scenes in the movie is brilliantly done, from beginning to end.

8.5/10
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Slumdog Millionaire - I enjoyed this movie from start to finish. It's epicness is beyond words IMHO. Definitely an Oscar winner.

9.5/10
    Last edited by Paradox; 01-29-2009 at 19:46.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Decker View Post
    Children of Men- Took the third time to watch it to really appreciate this movie. I kinda have a thing for dysotopic(I hope I spelled that right lol) movies n what not. Clive Owen is excellent in this movie imho and does a great job from scene to scene. I will say that the one of the last scenes in the movie is brilliantly done, from beginning to end.

8.5/10
    I love this movie, it does a wonderful job of moving from still, apathetic, blank environments seamlessly into chaos, fear, and violence. Even if you find the plot a little hackneyed and the characters a little contrived the way the movie is shot is absolutely compelling and brilliant. Every time I find myself overanalyzing the characters I just tell myself to shut up and enjoy the flow.

I hate to analyze it any more, but I will say that in my experience women do not care for this film at all. It can be read as a rather sexist fable of male protectionism (Despite some token elements to the contrary, i.e. random female rebels). Personally I love that kind of thing, women and children are precious and to be cherished, but modern sensibilities may reject the message because it's fairly overt.

Still, highly recommended. I have it tivo'd now and I'll probably watch it another time or two in the next few weeks before I delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses II CP View Post
    I hate to analyze it any more, but I will say that in my experience women do not care for this film at all. It can be read as a rather sexist fable of male protectionism (Despite some token elements to the contrary, i.e. random female rebels). Personally I love that kind of thing, women and children are precious and to be cherished, but modern sensibilities may reject the message because it's fairly overt.

Still, highly recommended. I have it tivo'd now and I'll probably watch it another time or two in the next few weeks before I delete it.

I'm not so sure - my girlfriend was the one that introduced me to it! :P You're definitely reading too much into it - she's a pregnant woman, she needs protection. I think the children message is correct, though.

What I love about the film is how they proceed for so long without cuts. The epic scene where they're going to the coast and are attacked by the "bandits" - well, as I said, epic.

Michael Caine is also great in this one. If some of you haven't seen it - watch it. It's very good.

As a sidenote..I enjoyed your BC AAR. :)

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Wanted
    my rating 8.5/10
    jolie is hot, good action. what more can you want?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Shichinin no Samurai/The Seven Samurai

I'm watching it right now. From what I've seen so far, it gets a 6...out of 7.

(This rating is subject to change)

Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot to update this.

I give it 9/10, if only because the movie was a bad quality download that looked like someone had gone back to 1956 and recorded it with a cell phone, and sometimes the subtitles were missing. But it was the full 308 minutes with intermission, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

But otherwise, yeah it's good. The end depressed me.
    Last edited by desert; 02-13-2009 at 00:30.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans: Not exactly what I'd call good. The plot is rather ridiculous, the acting is overdone and the action scenes are repetitive. Still it does have some unintentional humour (anything Victor says or does is so horribly overacted its hilarious) and some neat action bits in there. Wouldn't recommend spending money on it though. 2/10

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    Shichinin no Samurai/The Seven Samurai

I'm watching it right now. From what I've seen so far, it gets a 6...out of 7.

(This rating is subject to change)
    I've been looking all over for that dang movie...

Slither- Pretty stupid story line and everything. The main actor Fillion was just the same as he was in his series Firefly and movie Serenity. But other than him... it sucked...
    3/10

The Other Boleyn Girl- Saw this and it's okay... nothing particularly special about it.
    6/10

Superbad- Gets funnier every time I see it. "McLovin.... WHYYYYYYY"
    8.5/10

Gran Torino- Clint is awesome as ever and never stops with the laughs...
    9/10
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Slither- Pretty stupid story line and everything. The main actor Fillion was just the same as he was in his series Firefly and movie Serenity. But other than him... it sucked...
    3/10
    Question- WHY would you even bother to watch a movie that was titled "Slither"? That sounds like something sci-fi channel would cobble together....
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Question- WHY would you even bother to watch a movie that was titled "Slither"? That sounds like something sci-fi channel would cobble together....
    Cuz it was 1 in the morning, nothing was on and it had all the makings of a sci-fi channel movie except with a somewhat better cast.

Forrest Gump- Classic...
    10/10

I've been looking all over for that dang movie...
    You can get the new 3 disk Criterion edition of Shichinin no Samurai/The Seven Samurai from Amazon for $30. That's a good buy since full retail price is $50. The new edition has better picture and sound than their 1999 release because Toho has finally made their best source copies of Kurosawa films available to DVD publishers. There are many special features on the 3rd disk, and an all new second commentary track by several film historians. The narrative is a slow developing story of over 3 hours with the action coming at the end of the film. It takes patience to watch it. It's a very good film which, as a consequence of Japan loosing WWII, challenges the traditional pre-WWII view of the samurai class, and is historically important in film history for its influence on subsequent action films.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 02-09-2009 at 20:29.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Thank you very much for the info Puzz3D

Live Free or Die Hard- Reminded me more of the original but it doesn't top the original for me which is a classic action movie imo
    8.5/10

I bought the rather expensive, recently released Murnau, Borzage and Fox Box Set which contains 6 late era silent films and 6 early sound pictures. Two of the films are by F.W. Murnau (the 3rd film he made for Fox being is lost), and the other 10 are by Frank Borzage. Both of these men were highly skilled directors with perhaps Murnau influencing Borzage in set design. William Fox gave them pretty much a free hand to make the best and most artistic pictures they could at least in regard to the silent films. He lost control of Fox Film Corporation in 1930, and the films have languished in obscurity. All but one of the silent films in this set have been unavailable in a decent quality print for widespread viewing until now (all of the original negatives were destroyed in a fire at Fox Studios).

The packaging has come in for a lot of criticism due to the disks being inserted into cardboard sleeves, and some people receiving damaged disks. My disks were fine except for the special disk containing the documentary which does have some scratches on it. These scratches do not appear to be a result of movement during shipping, but are most likely the result of poor quality control in the handling of the disks. Just to be safe I immediately transferred all of the disks to jewel cases.

The 5 silents that I have watched so far are the epitome of silent film making, and strikingly show what was lost in terms of cinematic presentation when the novelty of talking pictures appeared in 1929. These 5 silent films are mastered from the best quality source material available which is very good considering the age of the films. I watched a poor quality print of Street Angel just before getting this set, and the difference is like night and day.

I would say the set design in 4 of the 5 films is expressionistic in character, but it's my understanding that the development of this type of set design predates German expressionistic films. The set design allows for simultaneous foreground and backround action, and provides depth to the scene. The camera angles and tracking shots are innovative, and were not easy to accomplish with the camera equipment of that era. The stories are romantically sentimental usually with a melodramatic element to provide conflict, but I find they do speak to very basic emotions, virtues and vices which are still important in human relationships today. While the stories develop into truely difficult situations for the characters they are perhaps resolved too easily for today's audiences, but if that resolution is taken as partly symbolic they are still powerful emotional denouements.

Janet Gaynor is in 4 of the 5, and her acting is very naturalistic which I can't help thinking was influenced by the natural style that Lillian Gish introduced 10 years earliert. However, Gaynor is truely deserving of the Best Actress Oscar she won for the first 3 films listed here. Her reserve in Lucky Star (1928) is also noteworthy because she could easily have stolen her scenes from Charles Farrell who had to use a low key performance (possibly his best) to properly portray his character. Mary Duncan in City Girl perhaps overacts in a couple of scenes as was typical of silent film performances, but is excellent in all her other scenes. She retired from movies in 1932. Murnau died in a car accident in 1931.

Sunrise (1927) by Murnau is well known, and considered by many to be the best silent film ever made from a cinematic standpoint. I have a little trouble with the resolution of the melodrama in this story considering what the husband was planning. However, the beauty of the final scene in this film is unequaled by any other final scene in my cinematic experience.

7th Heaven (1927) by Borzage is a testament to the power of love, and to the value of social friendships. It has a main character who vacillates between atheism and belief in God, and also contrasts outward social position with internal sense of value. Some viewers think that the final scene is a vision or hullucination, but if you watch the scenes prior to this closely the final scene can be interpreted as real. If you've ever come close to loosing faith in something, this film will affect you.

Street Angel (1927) by Borzage is about the consequences to a romantic relationship when one person does something wrong and conceals it from the other. Janet gaynor's acting in the middle part of this fim is outstanding.

City Girl (1928) by Murnau is the never released silent version, and is superior to the re-edited sound version that was released in 1930. This film uses a romantic relationship to show the need for a son to establish his independence from his parents, and to contrast the realities of city life with that of country life (both of which have disadvantages and are not as ideal as might be perceived from the other's perspective) on the eve of the Great Depression. Murnau wanted to title this film "Our Daily Bread" to reference the growing of wheat on country farms and the need for that wheat in the city. Good personal relationships are seen as helping people get through difficult times. Not quite equal to Sunrise in cinematic presentation, but very advanced none the less.

Lucky Star (1928) by Borzage is about a relationship that develops amidst difficult social and physical circumstances. Beautifully photographed and acted this film was lost for 60 years. This is my personal favorite of the 5 films.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 02-17-2009 at 17:39.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Watched In Bruges from the Library.

Hilarious and Americans aren't that fat.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Valkyrie: premise is the july 20th bombplot. recently watched. I had a hard time following the begining, and I find the transition between different times and places somewhat choppy. Actors were of good quality, but unremarkable. Historical accuracy is good, but not perfect. Stauffenburg is unconvincingly acted by Tom Cruise (attributed to him trying to act as a devout catholic?), and looks too much like a plank. many of the actors look too plankish IMO in fatc. and I find the length a little too long, though that is not really an issue for me..

I also think they should have just focus on the month of July 1944, without all the hassle from 1942 and early 1943, but the events shown from then are still useful for exposition and plot.

and the guy acting as Hitler looks ridiculous for Hitler-why couldn't they get Brno Ganz? he did an excellent rendition of that devil in der untergang (2005)

rating: 5/10: It was Ok. still leaves much to be desired.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 02-13-2009 at 00:32.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat View Post
    Watched In Bruges from the Library.

Hilarious and Americans aren't that fat.
    Nope just the people who made the stairs are small... we're not THAT fat of a nation

Funny movie nonetheless...

Shanghai Noon- Good all around fun action/comedy film...
    8.5/10

The Magnificent Seven

A good successor to Seven Samurai, although at times it seemed like they tried to fit as many references to Kurosawa's film in it as possible. It should have been a half-hour longer.

Also, did people really talk like that in the West? Their accents, were, like, Eastern European or something. I think the Mexicans had clearer English, lol. And the way the last two died was silly. There were about 5 bandits left, for Christ's sake! The genius gunsman died while under cover and after having shot 4 guys in 3 seconds and the woodcutter was shot while shoving away his fanboys, after which the battle promptly ended.

The acting was a bit too much for me in the beginning.

Mexican 1: We've got to GET rid of those BANDITS!
    Sotero: BUT HOOOOOOWWW?
    Mexican: I don't KNOW.

8.5/10

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Comme Une Image. Virginie Desarnauts is HAWT!
    Last edited by naut; 02-14-2009 at 05:57.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Friday the 13th (2009) -

Very good, worthy of it´s name, full of blood, guts and sex......and more topless scenes than you can shake a stick at....

9/10 (grading in the special universe of a Friday movie)....it is now my second favorite Friday movie...only losing out to Friday 6.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

American Psycho
    I expected hardcore horror...I thought it was kind of tame in that respect, actually. I loved how the main character freaks out and kills people because they can get reservations at restaurants wich he can't, or when it turns out they have nicer business cards then him The ending just left me scratching my head.
    7.5/10

Nixon
    Anthony Hopkins doesn't really look like Nixon, but I forgot that after a couple of minutes- his acting is as great as usual. Nixon is portrayed as a tragic, yet morally flawed and manipulative character. The only bad thing about this movie is that it's 3 hours long.
    7/10

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    American Psycho
    I expected hardcore horror...I thought it was kind of tame in that respect, actually. I loved how the main character freaks out and kills people because they can get reservations at restaurants wich he can't, or when it turns out they have nicer business cards then him The ending just left me scratching my head.
    7.5/10

It would be a true horror movie...with gore above the "saw" level if they have filmed everything Bateman does in the book....there are some trully distrubing ******-up things that are left out of the movie.

as for the ending
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    there are 2 general interpretations:

1- He imagined the entire thing, and he didn´t actually kill anyone, it was just his sick mind dreaming stuff up

2- He did kill those people, and for one reason or another other people covered up the crimes, for instance the real-estate lady that is selling the apartment could have covered up the bodies he left there because she didn´t want to lose the money from the sale.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    if they have filmed everything Bateman does in the book....there are some trully distrubing ******-up things that are left out of the movie.
    And it's all the better for it, book was a bit too much for me, well much too much actually I can really do without the rats stuff for example. It shouldn't be a horror movie imho it should be a dark comedy and making it as violent as the book wouldn't work, they nailed it, one of the best adaptations of a book ever.

And say Decker, have you checked out Planet Terror already?
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-16-2009 at 19:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    And say Decker, have you checked out Planet Terror already?
    No, should I have??

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

About American Psycho:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The first explanation that came to my mind was that the lawyer at the end had simply mistaken someone else as being Paul Allen (Bateman's first victim in the movie), because he and others routinely mistake people for others. That dectective guy mentioned somewhere in the film that Paul Allen had been spotted for example, but that it turned out to be someone else.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

No, should I have??
    If this isn't a case of mistaken identity, yes, and it probably is just that. Watch it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    If this isn't a case of mistaken identity, yes, and it probably is just that. Watch it anyway
    Lmao alright I will

The first explanation that came to my mind was that the lawyer at the end had simply mistaken someone else as being Paul Allen (Bateman's first victim in the movie), because he and others routinely mistake people for others. That dectective guy mentioned somewhere in the film that Paul Allen had been spotted for example, but that it turned out to be someone else.
    Now I feel like watching crazy Bateman dance to "Hip to Be Square"

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Friday the 13th (2009) -

Very good, worthy of it´s name, full of blood, guts and sex......and more topless scenes than you can shake a stick at....

9/10 (grading in the special universe of a Friday movie)....it is now my second favorite Friday movie...only losing out to Friday 6.
    What an utterly perfect date movie. I'm going to capitalize on this one.

Coraline by Henry Selick is the first stop motion animated feature in 3D. It's a very well done fantasy with excellent 3D effect, voice acting, music and visuals. It has a good message for kids who may feel that they aren't getting enough attention from their parents. The message should have meaning to adults who see the film as well. It's not an action picture, and is not suitable for very young children due to some scary elements.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Coraline is a great movie. I was pleasantly surprised by how well they managed to do the 3d stuff. I guess I'd gotten it into my head that 3d movies aren't generally done well... If anybody is considering seeing it, I'd suggest doing it soon before the "Jonas Brothers" movie takes all the 3d screens.

There were one or two things that were beat over your head a little that were more subtle in the book (Coraline's relationships with her parents early on, for example) but it was nothing at all compared to, well, almost every other book turned movie. All in all they did a wonderful job at the adaptation, and even where things were changed it was only where they needed to be to fit the new medium. Even the new character that was added was done so seamlessly.

I was also amused to find the movie was set rather close to where I live, although you could only tell if you paid attention.

I can't say much more except it's the only movie I've seen lately that I would watch immediately if given the chance, as well as the only one I've ever felt the need top post about in this thread.
    Last edited by Zim; 02-18-2009 at 00:55.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Page 43 of 114 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast