Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Medieval: Total Realism Mod Team's Update Thread

Default Re: Medieval: Total Realism Mod Team's Update Thread

Hi all!
    I'm new here but I'm very interested in this mod since I totally enjoyed playing RTR (I know you're not the same team). I'm really looking forward to MTR and I thought I could be of some help.
    I'm pretty sure the game will include the Crown of Aragon as a faction and I thought that you might need historical information. I can provide information on its history, heraldry and of course units. I have got many detailed drawings of catalan-aragonese units of early and late medieval ages. Information about each unit's characteristics, strenghs and weaknesses etc

I'd be glad to help you in any way possible.

Despertaferro!

PS. Those posted drawings are... wow!

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kataphraktoi
    Good as always.

I suppose we could have a common resource thread where information is available to all modders, except of course for technical stuff, I'm sure MA have their little lightning in a bottle to keep from us. Fair enough.
    We have to keep secrets, an honest set of modders can't tease the public and torture them otherwise

Any idea of where we could set this resource thread up? I would imagine it to be these forums for the time being.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Orda Khan :

in yours pictures cumans (kumanlar) mongol types...

that types... maybe huns for valid.
    true: in mongols huns existing.

but cumans - hazars pure turks...

cumans (meaning)
    turkish: kuman = blond or brown or pale
    russian: polovtsi = blond or brown
    germans: fallben = blond
    armenian: xartes = blond

(many east and west bibliography "for cumans" say... a lot of beautiful humans to be )

yours pictures fictitious and imaginary animates.. cumans not mongol types... cumans and hazars blondie and brown beautiful humans.

Quote Originally Posted by NagatsukaShumi
    Any idea of where we could set this resource thread up? I would imagine it to be these forums for the time being.
    Resources for modding MTW2 will go on the MTW2 modding forums when they're opened.

Purely historical resources should go in a thread in the Monastery which you can link to in your mod co-ordination thread.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Quote Originally Posted by bozkirsovalyesi
    Orda Khan :
    yours pictures fictitious and imaginary animates.. cumans not mongol types... cumans and hazars blondie and brown beautiful humans.
    If you would like to provide some evidence that Qipchaqs were all blonde and beautiful I would be very interested indeed, however this is hardly the place to enter into such discussions.
    You see, I have studied this subject for more than 40 years and even after that time I would not make such a rash statement. There is evidence to show that even among the Mongols there were plenty who had brown hair and green eyes, Chingis Khan and most of his immediate descendants are a good enough example of this. There would be no reason to assume that this would not be true also of the Qipchaqs but a declaration that they were all blonde and beautiful is stretching the imagination more than just a little bit. In other words, sorry I do not agree

.......Orda

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

I second Orda Khan on that point, just go to Central Asia and you'll find a very diverse gene pool there - there is a strong inter-mixing of blood in this porous region which also encompasses the entire Eurasian steppe to the Mongol steppes.
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

Not to mention the fact that very few, if any of these steppe nations were 'pure'. The Huns who campaigned in eastern Europe were a good example of this. They were a confederation, comprising various other peoples, to the extent that actual Huns were probably a minority; even Attila's campaigns were more Germanic in their nature. Conquered tribes were absorbed by the victors, marriages of convenience, to forge allegiances etc. All this helped to create a mixed population that although known collectively as Hun, Mongol or whatever was not actually so. When Chingis unified Mongolia, many of those tribes were Turkic; the arranged marriages of his sons; further expansion along the Asian steppe; meant that true Mongols were themselves a minority within their own empire. The Golden Horde were called Tatars in Russia and Europe, derived from a Mongol term for conquered peoples. Possibly more realistic than Mongol, it only serves to confuse the whole issue if we start to consider Tatars proper.
    In my sketches I actually made an effort to portray the Mongol units as 'Mongoloid' in their features and the Qipchaqs not so. Only one Qipchaq has his hair visible and worn in the braids depicted in many Qipchaq statues and other historical sources.

Here is a depiction of a Hun. So little archaeological evidence exists and source descriptions are generally outlandish, preferring to demonise so accuracy is extremely difficult. Archaeological finds such as a similar coat, bow siyahs and arrow heads help in some way. Most evidence of steppe nomads suggests a great deal of similarity and that clothing styles and patterns changed little over hundreds of years

......Orda
    Last edited by Orda Khan; 06-20-2006 at 16:42.

Faction Leader
    Mongol Khan, Heir and Tuq Standard

........Orda

Sexy Lamellar :P

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

https://img141.imageshack.us/img141/...07985xn.th.jpg

Some very very rough Varangian Guard concepts, they are heavily influenced by Central Asian styles and the quality of their armour suggests they are long-time veterans, not recent arrivals. Plus, since the mod is 1054, Varangians are predominantly of Scandinavian/Rus stock and are familiar with Turkic fashions and customs.

WoT fanatic Member 4th Dimension's Avatar

Actually link is: https://img141.imageshack.us/img141/696/img07985xn.jpg

You posted the thumbnail

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

I'm sorry I had to post in your thread to bring this to your attention, but kataphraktoi, PLEASE empty your PM box!
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

ok its emptied!!

Quote Originally Posted by bozkirsovalyesi

cumans (meaning)
    turkish: kuman = blond or brown or pale
    russian: polovtsi = blond or brown
    germans: fallben = blond
    armenian: xartes = blond
    polovec, or połowiec in polish, does not mean blonde or brown. to me the root of the word sounds like it could be lowca, which means hunter.

We're not updating here anymore, check under MTW2 modification for Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

We're not updating here anymore, check under MTW2 modification for Medieval Total Realism: Age of Ambition
    Do you want me to lock this thread or transfer it to the other forum? If I do the latter, an admin or whoever has moderator rights there could merge it with another thread of yours.

Default Re: New Official Medieval: Total Realism

Time to know a bit about Wraithdt:
    Concepts he's responsible for:
    Crusaders
    Arabs
    Turks (joint)

Concepts done so far:
    Saracen Infantry
    Ghulam cavalry
    Varangian Guard
    Futuwwa Infantry
    Templar Knight

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Now:
    Canada, modeller and concept artist
    Last edited by R4P; 07-17-2006 at 10:45.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I'm locking this thread at Kataphraktoi's request so that discussion can continue over in the M2TW modding forum.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234