Thread: Magyar/khazar unit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Magyar/khazar unit

Well, i found only one pic in the magyar topic of some time ago, and of course i already skinned it.

What you think, that i cant make a conic hat in 3dsmax? What i lack, is the graphic art, I draw like a children, and dont have fantasy at all :)

But well, i can copy everything i can see, so that is your magyar archer.

There is no way to feel a unit dirtier in so low poly count, just darker or brighter :)

Of course need critic and suggestion, on that archer.

Bye

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Re: Magyar/khazar unit

Quite good!

The shape (model) of the unit is all right, looks very good as a matter of fact.

In reply to your question on color choices
    - even the brightest clothes should be slightly darker than the clothes in your example above, I'm afraid
    - for militia units, assume off-white, brown or grey clothing if nothing is said explicitly. Textile colors were expensive in these days so most people had naturally colored clothes, with color depending on what material they used. I'm guessing that magyars would use much leather because that would probably be the easiest thing to access where they lived.
    - if it says leather armor, you can be sure the clothes can be leather colored
    - if it says chainmail, you can use chainmail texture over the chest and so on
    - for higher-quality units, it's difficult to say what they'd wear, so if perhaps wait with skinning them until we've found better pictures.

With dirt I didn't mean more polys, just add a few irregularities in the pattern of the clothes they wear. However for that to look good, the clothes must be quite dark, otherwise the stains and other dirt things will be too much visible. That's why mostly the militia units, which would have pretty dark brown-greyish clothes, should have dirt.

I think those things should be easy for you to fix. Just make it darker, then if you can, run some filter that adds dirt. I don't know much photoshop myself but I assume some "noise" or something could fix it. Or a brush set to very low alpha so you're drawing almost transparently on the basic, clean, clothes once you've made them. Good luck, I'm sure you can make very good skins if you just think of these things!

Edit: Some more color choice tips I've thought of:
    - when choosing colors, look at the HSB color system, it's more intuitive than RGB, makes it easier to understand what colors you're changing to
    - when choosing grey or black colors, always choose them to be a little stronger in either red, green or blue than in the other of red green and blue. For example use R=110, G=80, B=80 or R=80, G=110, B=110 rather than R=95, G=95, B=95, in order to make the colors look more "alive"
    - seldom use any color where any of the components R, G or B is stronger than 150
    - seldom use any color where the sum of the components R, G and B is stronger than 500
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 03-08-2006 at 19:56.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Mostly the brightness is due to the 3dsmax rps i use, that gie super light to check better details on picture.
    Must try it on a rtw environment, but that involve change some code and text and i am too lazy to do it.

Leather dress are no problem, vanilla is full of leather dress to inspirate.
    But you know, must make unit bit different because else seems all looking the same :)

Do more research and come out with some good pic, or drawing, so i can work on those.

I asked Forgus of EB that is hungarian if send me some if he find it.

Anyway bright colored units look funnier in game, than all those pelt dressed :)

Tomorrow will work on a leather dress with one of that pic of that hungarian site you sent me.

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by palissa
    Mostly the brightness is due to the 3dsmax rps i use, that gie super light to check better details on picture.
    Must try it on a rtw environment, but that involve change some code and text and i am too lazy to do it.

Leather dress are no problem, vanilla is full of leather dress to inspirate.
    But you know, must make unit bit different because else seems all looking the same :)

Do more research and come out with some good pic, or drawing, so i can work on those.

I asked Forgus of EB that is hungarian if send me some if he find it.

Anyway bright colored units look funnier in game, than all those pelt dressed :)

Tomorrow will work on a leather dress with one of that pic of that hungarian site you sent me.

Bye
    Ok, here we go:
    http://ehumana.hu/arpad/pic/pictures/ny-05.jpg
    This is the one you made, your version looks very good but is slightly too bright. This could be the kabarok. Without horse without much changing it could also be magyar foot archers.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/rauno.huikari...900luvulla.jpg
    The one on the left would be any of the better horse archers (maybe early vitézek), the second from the left could be used for first making the heavy horse archer type Koplyások (but probably replace the chainmail with leather), and the one furthest to the right could be used for the Köplények unit.

This is how to use the pics: look at the pics for inspiration on clothes. Look in the army lists description of the unit to find out which weapons to give them. Because in a few cases the pics have different weapons than the unit made from them should have.

For units after Christian conversion, I'll need to find some more concept art. I only have good pics for some of them:
    - Besenyok
    - Late Vitézek
    - Várjobbágyok
    - Szekely - this should be possible to find a pic of
    - German knights
    - Varjág Testorök - use the third one from the right:
    http://www.kolumbus.fi/rauno.huikari...900luvulla.jpg
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 03-09-2006 at 09:48.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Here come the first one darkened

And here come the other one i just did

(The first on the left on that pic)

I didnt put on horse, because am lazy :)

Tell me critic and suggestion and hint.

Hey, make magyar is way difficult than make norman. those just give a chain mail :)

Am joking...

Bye

Impressive! The first one looks awesome now!

The second one could do with some irregularities (folds and dirt) added to the clothes, but I know that's very difficult so if you don't know how to do it in a way that looks natural it's good enough as it is
    Under construction...