Thread: Risk: Total War

Conspicuously Inconspicuous Member makkyo's Avatar

Default Risk: Total War

It's hard to categorize this game, but some friends and I have untilized RTW into our own version of Risk (yes, the board game). After playing the game for WAY too long, we came to hate the randomness of our battles. A roll of dice? Not anymore. We now resolve our battles on a RTW LAN. This idea works famously. The number of armies on the board decides the amount of money we are able to spend on our respectable armies. What do you think?
    "And one should bear in mind that there is nothing more difficult to execute, nor more dubious of success, nor more dangerous to administer than to introduce a new order to things; for he who introduces it has all those who profit from the old order as his enemies; and he has only lukewarm allies in all those who might profit from the new. This lukewarmness partly stems from fear of their adversaries, who have the law on their side, and partly from the skepticism of men, who do not truly believe in new things unless they have personal experience in them."
    ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Default Re: Risk: Total War

sounds realy fun, me and my friends all like playing risk also.

how much money per army do you get?

do you all have the same faction when you fight eachother? ((have to be so it would be equal))

are you all equally good in RTW?

i realy have to try this with my friends :)
    There I see my father.
    There I see my mother, my sisters and brothers.
    There I see my line of ancestors back to the beginning.
    They call on me and ask me to take my place with them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

TheViking a.k.a AggonyViking a.k.a FearTheViking a.k.a WildboarViking

BHCWarman88

sounds cool

We figure about 1000 denari per army.
    We can choose our factions several ways. Either we make a quick program that chooses a random faction for you, or other times we just call dibs. There are about 5 of us, and we're actually planning on playing later tonight. We even do formal alliances (tribute, protectorates, give regions, etc). The only problem is that it takes a long time to do. We are all decent at Rome at least. I don't like playing online because of the lag, but I do enjoy LANs. The only problem is that we can only compare our skills relative to eachother.
    "And one should bear in mind that there is nothing more difficult to execute, nor more dubious of success, nor more dangerous to administer than to introduce a new order to things; for he who introduces it has all those who profit from the old order as his enemies; and he has only lukewarm allies in all those who might profit from the new. This lukewarmness partly stems from fear of their adversaries, who have the law on their side, and partly from the skepticism of men, who do not truly believe in new things unless they have personal experience in them."
    ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

That would be pretty cool. If you think about it all the total war games are just like Risk but you can fight battle and control cities.

-We do the impossible every day, miracles take a bit longer- Air Force Motto

but for those who were playing shogun and MTW then it's not so different.
    ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Using Rome: Total War to simulate\resolve battles of a completely different game. Can't say I thought of that. Nice idea.