Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viking Invasion for real

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Viking Invasion for real

Im proud to announce the formation of a new NTW clan made up strictly of veteran VI players. Its called the Prussian VI Corps. We are asking anyone interested to drop and and give us a look. We encourage you to remain with your VI clan. This is a commitment to NTW as a clan only. Let us show them that VI has the best TW players in the world and that we can beat them at their own game. Its a chance for those of us who remain to battle together as one. The challenge has been raised and the call to arms has been given. The Prussian VI Corps is mobilizing and the Corps is looking for a few good men. Come and join us in this quest. Fame and glory await you all. Can you handle the challenge?

Prussian VI Corps
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Default Re: Viking Invasion for real

So you feel you have to prove something to the NTW community? I understand them to be very honourable I just hope your clan can be as well, time will tell. The community has more to offer than just beating your opponents, I hope your move into NTW will not prove a mistake. Perhaps you can tell us if your new clan has fought any battles yet against the established ntw clans and what was the outcome?
    It's the taking part that counts.

Well to be honest the reason behind this clan is that we enjoy playing NTW, not that we want to beat our opponents and show people the "superiority" of VI players. From what I understand this talk about showing people what the VI peeps stand for is mostly just a way to get people interested, although a rather poor way.

To answer your question, we've yet to really face anyone as united clan, but generally we've been able to stand our ground quite well against the other NTW players.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Let me echo ducks reply. This is strictly for fun. The only thing we have to prove in NTW is that we are just as honorable as they are and interested in having just as much fun playing this wonderful mod. This is a war game however and the idea is also to beat your enemies. I have no doubt at the moment that most of the NTW clans can beat us. We have however taken many of them on in battle and beaten them. We have much to learn here. Thats the challenge I speak of. Please dont take us as arrogant. Im just trying to get some reaction here from the VI community .

sounds fun, i'll need to get a copy of ntw... and try and get online more.

goats with guns could be trouble!!!

Noobs^^

That is fair enough then. Remember that many of us started with MTW and VI, some of us with Shogun too. I play VI still but not often I admit. Look forward to seeing you on the battlefield, win or lose.
    It's the taking part that counts.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Heh G, you'll never be able to stand up to the might of TIG. I mean, seriously, no Dury

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Great to see some of the old VI hands coming over to NTW... the mod has a TON, strategically, to offer, and I look foward to seeing you guys on the field! I've already noticed some capable cavalry commanders...;)

I have the mod now and played some sp, as Sweden of course

Denmark crumbled quickly, Norway going to Sweden and Denmark itself becoming property of England. Rebellions in Prussian lands made possible some easy pickings and Sweden is slowly taking its place as at least a major Baltic power. Of course a war vs Russia (with the goal of locking them out from the Baltic) will be needed before Swedens position is secured.

Anyways Im looking forward to some mp this weekend :)

Artillery seems very very devestating, what are the usual settings/rules for multiplayer battles using this mod?

Is it possible to play it with smaller units? I changed it in the options but it seemed to have no effect in the game - units still 200 large.

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.

Artillery seems very very devestating, what are the usual settings/rules for multiplayer battles using this mod?
    Actually if you play SP you get a false impression regarding its effectiveness, as artillery can get valour upgrades during battles, and you end up with v8 and v9 8-pounders in no time. Not that they aren't deadly with v0 with 200-men units.
    IIRC, in MP you 're restricted to one artillery battery per side, therefore you can use only one cannon plus a cannister or so. And no targeting the generals.
    Unit sizes aren't set I think. I remember there was quite some lagging in a few big 4v4s, even with the 100 and 120 men units.
    Haven't played tho in a long time so there could be some deviations;)
    Last edited by L'Impresario; 03-17-2006 at 16:50.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

I'm not particularly interested in playing a mod where shooting decides the outcome.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Viking Invasion for real

Hello everyone,

Judge posted this in the EH (link):
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge
    Hi Gawain and co, with regards to ur question about art it seems that in a 4v4 battle only one art per team i dont know if this includes cannister though, and also you have to pick the special general unit as ur general not like in Mtw/Vi where u can pik either cav or foot as ur general, but in ntw this is the rule as it give a bit of authenticity to the game seeing a unit of 6 generals on horse watcvhing the battle, ive also heard that if they are close enough you get a moral bonus, although i dont know if this is true.

well i look fiorward to the rise of the Prussian VI Corps.

see you all soon
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    I'm not particularly interested in playing a mod where shooting decides the outcome.
    Actually that is hardly the case. Shooting might be influential, but melee still plays a rather big part in the game.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

It's funny what a strange impression MTW players sometimes get of NTW... that it is somehow all shooting and isnt fun... especially when NTW players scoff at MTW as simply running close combat units into each other with NO thought of strategy:)

NTW is actually an INCREDIBLY strategic game. You have a wide variety of line infantry, which excel equally at both shooting and close combat... the Russians love their bayonet, the British their muskets, and the rest all somewhere in between. Then you have the entire sub-division of infantry known as the lights; fast men who are able to skirmish, moving back and forth across the battlefield constantly, keeping up harassing fire at all times. Of course there are also the Grenadiers, who are known for turned the tide of close combat, and then the famous Guard regiments, who boast the finest troops in the world. Put on top of this the HUGE array of cavalry, from light hussars to wicked lancers and up to the armored heavies like the cuirassiers and carabiniers... the long ranged rifle units, who can pick at the enemy from far, far away... add on top of that mobile artillery including smaller horse guns, large artillery pieces, and even howitzers... and then figure in how each and every nation is distinct in character... be it the close combat oriented Russians, or the Swedes with their variety of rifle units, or the evenly competent Prussians, or the French, with their fine light infantry, Guards, and cavalry... every faction requires the general to use its troops to his best advantage. And all the while the General sits atop his mount, shouting encouragements to his men (and yes, the General unit in MTW does give a morale bonus to nearby troops... and in NTW, that General unit is indeed a GENERAL unit!)

Overall, NTW offers an incredibly varied wargaming experience, from one of the most influential and well researched times of war. Add the fun of the American Civil War and American Revolutionary War that are featured in the second Lordz mod, American: Total War, and you have enough gaming fun to last you a lifetime!

Or at least until NTW2 comes out:)

Anyway, welcome again to NTW!

S!

[GG] Lord Ashram

At what times can one count of getting a mp ntw game going?

The campaigns seems very much alike. What is the diffrence between them?

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.

The best thing to do is get MSN messenger; most NTW players organize there at all times of the day. If you do get it, please go ahead and add me gpandsean@yahoo.com

Otherwise the best place to ask questions is over at the Lordz themselves (www.thelordz.co.uk) and leave this thread for the Prussian clan:)

I am in the prussian clan

Kalle

aka AggonyRom Member Ghost of Rom's Avatar

I've found it to be an exceptional multiplayer game. Beautiful maps, loads of cool troop types, with an emphasis on troop positioning, flanking, wise use of reserves, and timely bayonet and cav charges. It's got a lot of atmosphere as well.

Rommel
    Long Live the Prussian VI!

I agree totoally with you Rom. It gives a splendid picture of a massive battle, one really feels like a true armycommander and after a few poor performances I am starting to get the hang of it i think although lots to learn still of course. The long battles with troops kept in reserve and so on is just awesome.

I must say though that I am very dissapointed with what seems to be a habit of terminating games early. Not even do one get a chance to view kills or save replays.

Twice, when I had a substantial army left that I want to play on with to loose or win, the other side (with honorable old ntw clans) has said gg we won and then quit crashing the game.

It happened for instance yesterday when I had killed at least 4 times as many enemies as I had taken casulties, routed or killed 3 enemy gens and had my main battleline still standing strong and also some allied units still around.

Then, the enemy having won on another flank start saying gg and so on also some of my allies say it. Knowing this means the game is about to be abandoned and crash I ask:

"umm who has won??"

"We" say one of the enemy

"Not until you kill me" i say

"stabs scharnhorst with knife" the enemy say and then people start to quit and the game crashes.

I have played totalwar for a long time, quitting and crashing game before everyone can be sure of the outcome and before one can save replay or view kills has always been regarded as bad style and I must say i think so too.

I play the game to use my army till its beaten, if others have run out of troops they stay and watch till everyone has decided the outcome is clear and no point in fighing on.

And then people should not just quit crashing the game but those who surrender rout their troops so kills can be viewed and replays saved.

Kalle (aka von Scharnhorst)

Just to let you all know were still recruiting

You didn't bribe me enough ;)
    AggonyJade of the Brotherhood of Aggony, [FF]ladyAn or [FF]Jade of the Freedom Fighters

What are you talking about I gave the you all the keys to the cabinets. 'including duckys bread crumbs' so help yourself its enouhg of a bribe :D *tosses some flroins at Ann*

hold up sealed envelope with photos in them...

ahem... this should be enough to convince you anniep!!!

Wow how can that be? its so i mean how can? i cant describe it!

Now I know why you have problem with money: you spent too much on your armies. 23k / army, that's way too much. Most units have morale 10 at that level of upgrade.

Am not using this as the excuse of my dismall battle performance. I believe I found a problem of how I command my units. Perhaps I should say I found one of the problems.

Anyways, am recommending 20k florins per army. And spend the rest on your women.

Annie
    AggonyJade of the Brotherhood of Aggony, [FF]ladyAn or [FF]Jade of the Freedom Fighters

Hello all,

As far as the money woes go, it's all in what the host and players agree on. NTW can be played very nicely with only 20k or can be boasted up to 23k. The less money you have the greater the challenge of course.

I do not think that you play poorly btw. :)

See y'all on the field!

Devoirs The Empress
    "Act well your part, there all the honour lies." -Pope

"England Expects That Every Man Will Do His DUTY" - Nelson via Mr. Pasco at Trafalgar 1805

Lets keep this promotion alive

Kalle

Sorry guys
    I'm playing clear vi :)
    Fanatic polish infantry won't join at the moment.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

MISSIONARY for VI - High Era Member |Heerbann|_Luculus's Avatar

Default AW: Viking Invasion for real: Help to save MTW/VI at all

I Just want to remind that the MTW/VI lobby gets smaller and smaller.

But there are a lot players who are still interestes in playing this game.

In my opinion a big problem is that these players are playing different mods:
    some are still playing MTW, some prefer the VI add on and there are a lot of mods like NTW, too.

The point of my statement should be: If all these players decide for the same like VI for example, there would be enough players at all again to play it at any time. And further, if others see that, some more would came back.

But for many players it becomes senseless to log in, seeing there are no or too few ppls online and just log off again and so they wont come back after some attempts.

Why it is such a big problem to decide for one mod/version at all ?

I think we have to do compromisses, otherwise the possibility grows, that the server will turn off.... it's only a question of time when there are too few ppls in lobby.

What do You think ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast