Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What difficulty are you playing on?

Default What difficulty are you playing on?

I started on vh/h, but got beat by the rebels in the starting cities everytime as the Getai, I guess I must suck or something. Even the Illyrian peltats killed by best heavy infantry guys, so now after loosing several campains really quick I went to vh/m. So, any on have any luck on anything better than medium battles? Or maybe I just suck, the only campains I played in the last month were with the Romans on RTR, which are notoriusly overpowered, so maybe that is why hard battle difficulty wasn't that bad for me. I can win, but with so many losses to my unretrainable heavy infantry at the start that I can't survive until I can train more, and the rebel spawns killed me because I just could build light troops. It is kind of fun loosing sometimes though.

Also, a minor aside, are the mines getting nerfed a bit in the next patch? Because I took one city with a mine, and now I'm getting a nice surplus just from that one city. The mine is giving me along something like 3000 minai a turn, which seems a bit much. Maybe lower that a bit, or give some poplulation or happiness penatly (people might not like getting forced to work in a mine or something).

Default Re: What difficulty are you playing on?

M/M. You shouldn't play battle difficulty above hard cos then it's not realistic.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Ísland...or Iceland for ye darn foreigners :)

I play Vh/m but I am a glutton for punishment
    Roma must be destroyed

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PantsToucher

Also, a minor aside, are the mines getting nerfed a bit in the next patch?
    Yeah, they'll be nerfed significantly, but don't underestimate just how important mining was a source of income for ancient states. The (mid-sized) Laurion Mines in Attic produced 1000 Talents of silver a year.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Sardonic Antipodean Member Trithemius's Avatar

VH/M, as I thought that was the EB team-recommended settings. :)
    Trithemius
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

They are. Well they're the settings I recommend at least, I don't like hard/very hard battle difficultly unbalancing my stats, especially because I get flak for it.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

I play H/H, seems enjoyable enough and some battles can get a little nip and tuck. Nice close one today where I was up against 9 Eranshar Ashabara, close until I thinned them just enough to risk charging my general at their left flank and they ran away like girls

Last user of scythed chariots Member Spendios's Avatar

I play VH/H it makes the battles last a long time.

So far my campain has been going a lot better with VH/M difficulty. The rebel spawns took one of my cities, since I only could afford one field army and two cities were undersige by rebels at once; good to see them doing something for a change. I don't know how I would even be able to afford an army without the 3000 mine income I'm getting, and my armies aren't even that expensive as the getia.

Another question: What unit size do you guys use? I like huge, as it makes me worry about my population actually, and I think it helps keep the ai from making stack after stack of the same crappy units that i need to beat over and over. Although the greek cities population might need rasing, I think they are all down under 600 people by about 260bc some how.

Sardonic Antipodean Member Trithemius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PantsToucher
    Another question: What unit size do you guys use? I like huge, as it makes me worry about my population actually, and I think it helps keep the ai from making stack after stack of the same crappy units that i need to beat over and over. Although the greek cities population might need rasing, I think they are all down under 600 people by about 260bc some how.
    Currently I think I am using Normal (40/41/42 men for hastati/principes/triarii) but I sort of wish I'd used the next one up (Large? 80/81/82) since its more visually impressive and it might make enemy units a bit more dense so my cavalry cannot breeze through with their current insouciance. :)
    Trithemius
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Quote Originally Posted by Trithemius
    Currently I think I am using Normal (40/41/42 men for hastati/principes/triarii) but I sort of wish I'd used the next one up (Large? 80/81/82) since its more visually impressive and it might make enemy units a bit more dense so my cavalry cannot breeze through with their current insouciance. :)
    I was playing on Normal in my previous Casse campaign, and while it was fun while it lasted, my current Getai campaign on Large is a hell of a lot better. The points you mentioned are indeed the way it is. Go for it in your next campaign.

for the "civilized" factions i play vh/m but i just can't get far as "barbarians" at that level. except for the gauls perhaps, but i gave up my averni campain with the new patch

Wise and Partially Handsome Member Jarardo's Avatar

VH/m. I tried battles on vh, then hard. The open field battles were okay, but the looonnnngggg, drawn out fights against the slave faction everytime I took a city from them got a little tedious.

So VH/M now.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

H/M.

I dislike the stat thing with battles above M and so try to make the battles harder by limiting my tactics to be more realistic e.g min camera height etc.

If you want the rebels to attack your cities you have to have H or VH campaign unfortunatley. Personally i think making the ai more aggressive doesn't always make the game better as the ai wastes it's time attacking places it can't take. Ideally the game should be set up so that the ai has advantages built in that balance out the areas where it has flaws, e.g retraining units, depopulating its cities, naval stuff etc. EB has done some cool things with scripting to do this and there are probably a lot more things that could be added to this. I think that is a better approach than the ai just having more money and being more generally aggressive. But the rebels not attacking cities is hard-coded it seems to H or VH setting.

I use large sizes out of habit as my old pc couldn't handle huge but when i remember i make it huge. Huge-size battles are way more fun (except in seiges when they are a total pain).

edit: mines. Is it possible to have a hidden resource, exceptionalmine, or something that has a mines+2 upgrade. That way the few special mines that really did make a huge difference (i think macedonian power was built on them?) while keeping the rest as just very useful but not unbalancing. Or having the mine capability section giving different cash depending on the presence or absence of certain hidden resources.

e.g

capability
    {
    mine_resource 8 require hidden_resource nomalmine
    mine_resource 60 requires hidden_resource supermine
    }
    Last edited by nikolai1962; 03-29-2006 at 02:30.
    It's not a map.

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

VH/M as Baktria.

Almost got wiped out by the Eleutheroi :$

Faction heir's army got destroyed. I took the province east to Baktria (forgot the name) and had it taken by 2 rebel stacks. Then Baktra itself was almost taken by a stack of rebel scum, luckily I managed to defeat them. Getting rubbish suitors, the best being a person with negative influence and management, but sharp/charismatic/vigorous. Unloyal though. Only decent general is faction leader, and he's probably going to pop off soon. I've got a good spy, diplomat and assassin though.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

VH/M as Pontos. I currently only have four provinces, the Seleucids are breathing down my neck and I only have half a stack of troops to defend myself. Not to mention a 25,000 mnai debt and a quarterly income of 700.

This is going to be a bitch to get back on my feet.

H/M as Baktria. I have four provinces and things are looking very good for me.

Lesser Boss of Totalstrategy Member Bohemians's Avatar

VH/VH with Romani's.... growing slowly, huge battles with Huge units...

Bohemians the Insane

For my first full campaign I'm trying H/M, I'm not sure how tough the battles are in EB compared to RTR, but the gaestae just wiped the floor with me. I usually go with H/H, I want the AI to get a little bonus to make up for tactics, but VH just seems pointless, and every test I've run with how the game plays out in VH just ended poorly. As far as unit sizes.... where do you change that? I looked in options but I never saw it anywhere, can you correct during a game?

video advanced options.

Or in preferences.txt (change the unit size to "160"). Note that you need to start a new campaign for this to take effect, or you can use RomeSage to edit your current savegame.

Somewhere out there Member vizigothe's Avatar

I play H/H with huge unit sizes. Battles are nice and long and are very enjoyable. I have had city sieges where I lost 82% of my forces.
    In Pace Requiescat.

Usually VH/M, but I'll be surprised if anybody has played a successful Sarmatian campaign on VH.
    There can surely be nobody so petty or so apathetic in his outlook that he has no desire to discover by what means and under what system of government the Romans succeeded in bringing under their rule almost the whole of the inhabited world. - Polybius

I'm playng with Romani in H/H, HUGE unit size, now i'm in year 157 and control italy, all germania, half gaul, Cartago, Spain and i'm going in campaing against greeks, I'm playng so slow 'cause i wanna go to year 14 AC to fully comtemplate the game!!

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

I'm playing as the KH on VH/M. It's been 12 1/2 years now, and I've taken most of Makendonian Holdings in the Greek Mainland (besieging Pella) and I'm going to leave the last Makedonian provice in favour of taking out the Epeirotes' last 2 provinces. I'll try to force a protectorate status on Makedon as well.

VH/H on large with Romani, I find the +4 makes up for the lack of tactics for the enemy, or at least for how skilled I am. My first campaign I just maxed out the stack and would win anything I encountered, so I'm trying with a set legion. 2 rorarii, 2 leves, 2 hastati, 2 principe, 2 triarii, 2 samnites, 1 general and 1 equites. It's pretty fun to actually play like this, I just got my ass completely handed back to me in one battle, though they had something along the lines of 6 gaesatae plus 14 other units or so.

What do you mean by maxing out a stack? Also, how many kills does it take to rout a Gaesatae unit on VH?

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

I play vh/vh, it makes for more challenging battles and thus also more challenging strategy mode as you're more likely to lose the battles. It can be a pain when you play with lightly armored units though, and I haven't yet tried playing Casse or Getai with vh/vh, but I assume it'll be possible too. At least Makedonia and Romani need vh to be challenging IMO.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

maxing out, I mean 20 units, I guess I should have phrased that different. With my infantry, or just triarii since the other units don't seem to come out of a fight them alive by any acceptable degree, they'll fight down to.... 5 or so was probably the highest with just infantry. If you pin them into a triangle and then a calvary charge to the back, 10 or so, but unless you stay on them they tend to go a little ways and come back ready to fight till you charge them again with supporting infantry about to engage them.

I've never been interested by the VH battles.

orwell: you mean the whole stack triarii and cavalry?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast