Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Infamous Cav Spam"

Default The Infamous Cav Spam"

Lol, recently played with this guy that "spammed" an entire army of cavalry, but my five units (more than id usually use myself, but it was no rules so...:P) managed to hold the mass Samartian and warlords, my inf reinforced the lines. There is a great bit where my thin line of clibs is holding this Hhuge onslaught back. Just thought I'd share the replay :P

Last edited by Monarch; 03-20-2006 at 19:39.

Default Re: The Infamous Cav Spam"

Wow, funky. That screenshots looks like (ignoring the graphics) it's from one of the old TW games, where the fights were basically meat grinders into which many units fought until almost destroyed. I wish I could watch the replay, but I don't have BI. So... who won?

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Wow.. seems Cannae-like. They are in a bowl shape and your infantry fit in, while some other units are coming round the back to destroy yours.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

i cant see the screenshot...
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Neither can I..
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Neither can I
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Hmm weird. Well anyway check my xfire (link in sig), I have it uploaded in my profile.

BHCWarman88

I fought a guy who got all Cav, well, 14 or 15 Cav and 5 or 6 Berserkes (it was RTW,he had Germania) and I fought my clan mate,who was roman,first..

my eles were Tired, Barley Enough Spearmen and Leginoares, but I fought the spam army off

with 1515 kills :-) :-)

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

I remember one battle against a spammer ...

I played the Julii - this was pre BI - and was facing a Carthage Elephant spammer, every unit - including his general - was an elephant unit, war elephant mind you.

As I like balanced armies, I thought I had absolutely no chance of winning, however I did win...

I had brought 1 unit of flaming pigs to the battle, knowing that a carthage player might deploy 1 maybe 2 elephant units.

I sent my pig unit towards the lead elephant and set the pigs alight - every single elephant unit routed and died.

What did I learn ? Never play games which give players more than 12 K denarii...

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy

What did I learn ? Never play games which give players more than 12 K denarii...

Yay for lower money battles!

BHCWarman88

12.5K is nothing

what units can you get?? good units?? not Much,on RTW,a few urbans,but you have to settle for Weaker Armies,and/Or 18 unit Armies cuz you can't get full 20 unit cuz of 12.5K

I play 25K+ and they Much Better, you Put the Money where you Need in

I played a FFA with my clan Mates, and one of them did Farily Well as Chargte, Deafeting my Clan mate who was Egypt, and Almost beating me, I was Seleciud, on a Really hilly BI Map called
    Warman Death Field

Ehmm.. You surely don't need to get the elite of everything..I'm acutally thinking of a new rule saying no units that cost more than 600 (Just to see some use of Hesitati) with 7.5k..

P.S. Dutch Guy: Are you the same as Dutch_Maniak or you are someone else ?
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

BHCWarman88

7.5K is really Crap, I rather play 15K then that..

I am starting to find some Fun in 15K, 15K is good, you get a few upgrades,can't get much eles or so, but you could get a good army Without spamming and without me B.S.ing about 12.5K and without you guys B.S.ing about 88K (which is still better)

now,lets talk about maps....

lol

Quote Originally Posted by BHCWarman88
    7.5K is really Crap, I rather play 15K then that..

I am starting to find some Fun in 15K, 15K is good, you get a few upgrades,can't get much eles or so, but you could get a good army Without spamming and without me B.S.ing about 12.5K and without you guys B.S.ing about 88K (which is still better)

now,lets talk about maps....

lol
    Ok I've already put forward my arguments on this in the other thread. Which to be honest is wherewe should be limiting the money debate to.

x-Danger your idea actually seems really interesting and fun to play, but more for 'novelty' value sorta thing, where you could play between clan mates and stuff but for 'competitive' games like in a tournament for instance I still prefer 12.5k where you still can't spam, and you get a few upgrades in but the fun in 'what to choose' is still there.

Oh and also Roman units are very expensive, for good reason as they are top quality. Which means you get next to no upgrades installing balance into the game. Barb factions still have ok units, and axemen to kill romans as they are good vs armour but with the rule set I play I can't have all my inf as axemen as it would break rules, but you can upgrade them much more than roman factions, especially the ERE.
    Last edited by Monarch; 03-24-2006 at 18:39.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x-dANGEr
    Ehmm.. You surely don't need to get the elite of everything..I'm acutally thinking of a new rule saying no units that cost more than 600 (Just to see some use of Hesitati) with 7.5k..

P.S. Dutch Guy: Are you the same as Dutch_Maniak or you are someone else ?
    No my on line name I used is very different from my name here, that said I haven't played online for about a half year !

Your rule sounds interesting though, would also like to see some more variation / low tier units in MP.

Would make for osme interesting tactics with your not to hard to rout units !

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

The rule is surely for fun.. We play the game for fun anuway. Just like games with max 2.. (Acutally, I remember playing a game for the 1st GS spot 1 year ago vs a Wolf.. One of the rules was max 3) (So they can still be serious sometimes)

BHCWarman88

7.5K and 12.5K aren't really good

I remember this well

Last December of 04/January of 05, I started RTW online, so 15K flatland,No Ele,No Art, and sometimes No Fire, was the Rules at that time..

I gladly use those rules, belvie it or not,since now I am against them
    so, then,1 or 2 months later, in Ferbrauy/March sometime, Some of the Eitle Players from Hell and Wolf etc.... Refuse to play me cuz 12.5K was the "new" money. of course, it was like, 200 RTW players .vs. the Few ppl who was still with 15K, so I ended up starting to play 88K and never play it again unless I Had to, untill now..

7.5K and 12.5K aren't really good

I remember this well

Last December of 04/January of 05, I started RTW online, so 15K flatland,No Ele,No Art, and sometimes No Fire, was the Rules at that time..

I gladly use those rules, belvie it or not,since now I am against them
    so, then,1 or 2 months later, in Ferbrauy/March sometime, Some of the Eitle Players from Hell and Wolf etc.... Refuse to play me cuz 12.5K was the "new" money. of course, it was like, 200 RTW players .vs. the Few ppl who was still with 15K, so I ended up starting to play 88K and never play it again unless I Had to, untill now..
    One thing I don't underdstand is wharts's the difference between 88k and 10000000k (unlimited)? You can pick any army with full upgrades with 88k so why did you choose '88k', why not just call it unlimited as that's what it is...

I think he has some army set-up that exactly takes 88k..

I remember the starting 'most' exciting games in MP.. The 'No Rules' rule. It was awesome, you could pick art, make phalanx boxes, pick full skirmish armies and so on..

I think he has some army set-up that exactly takes 88k..
    Oh yeah that would make sense.

BHCWarman88

No, I got a Army setup of 69700K

Well, to Me

my Opion, which all of you know, is that I hate 12.5K and lower,Period..

how can we or I,in this case, handle it??

How about, The Host Make the Rules of His/Her Game??
    Why should some people in CWC/CWB/TWPL (No Offense,cuz my clan BHC is in CWC and CWB) make other Hosts use CWB rules isntead of the rules they want?? but then again,it won't work,cuz everyone would use 12.5K anyhow..

Because the game itself is flawed in terms of unit balance and cost, if you look at the RTW itself, Rome is overpowered and even more so in high denarri games that offer almost endless cash or around 30000 or more. Players either use urban cohort rush or preatorian cav rush which is pretty much effective against most faction. In BI East and west rome will definately dominate in such high denarii game.

12.5k~15k offer a different tactical approach, the player may be force to adopt a different config of his army to ensure the overall effectiveness of his army to as many difference circumstances as the player can imagine, sometimes strong in range, at times mobility, melee or balance. It also encourage players to alot more different type in units.

TWPL rules and the likes are alittle more restrictive and a little less dynamic when it comes to tactical "creativity", but it offers balance and fairness for players on both side. At the same time it make the player think ahead of their tactical approach, almost like the way we play chess, which can be quite challenging. But it also weaken the strenght of certain factions, example huns and nomardic horse factions.

Imo the best rules are this: NO rules and 10k..

BHCWarman88

Hey

Cavarly was Over Powerd 2000 Years Ago Aslo, so is it in Game, so it like, just fight them, playing 12.5K cuz you too worry to fight 30K games and get a "Dishonorable" name is stupid..

Hey

Cavarly was Over Powerd 2000 Years Ago Aslo, so is it in Game, so it like, just fight them, playing 12.5K cuz you too worry to fight 30K games and get a "Dishonorable" name is stupid..
    Also by overpowered it is my understand that this means to be upset the balance of the game or to be much more powerful than they where in real life. Now correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm right then technically nothing historically speaking can be 'over powered'
    Last edited by Monarch; 03-26-2006 at 22:03.

Monarch, stop putting him off with good arguments :P

I understand Rome is around 2000 years ago.. That's right I think. Because it is in the era when pagenisim was spread, and Jesus' birth was 2000 years ago..

It's right that Cavary WAS stronger than infantry at that era. So I think they aren't over-powered in the game.

For the Romans though, wasn't their infantry the strong part of their army in the earlier period covered by RTW?

I don't though think cav spamming is that infamous in game anymore though, as spears are now vaguely effective against cavalry, unlike in 1.2. I mainly play BI these days though, so I've limited exposure of post 1.2 RTW. I do know that the old fashioned melee cav spam doesn't really work in BI. Ironic for a period historically dominated by cavalry though.

BHCWarman88

It's right that Cavary WAS stronger than infantry at that era. So I think they aren't over-powered in the game.
    Extacly Monarch

so I hate when people Whine "oh, Cav is overpowerd,we must use 6 cav max and if not,we might lose to a all cavarly"

Cav Was overpowerd in real life, and if it wasn't, Prove it,Monarch..

Aslo, I had 800 Spears today, and I got kill by a Full army of Cav, and he only flank me with 1 unit..

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Extacly Monarch

so I hate when people Whine "oh, Cav is overpowerd,we must use 6 cav max and if not,we might lose to a all cavarly"

Cav Was overpowerd in real life, and if it wasn't, Prove it,Monarch..

Aslo, I had 800 Spears today, and I got kill by a Full army of Cav, and he only flank me with 1 unit..
    "Praetorian Cavalry"=Fake they were Batavii EXPENSIVE as hell MERCENARY Cavalry.
    "Legionary Cavalry"=Fake
    "Roman Cavalry"= Fake they has ONLY Equites
    So if you live in the Holywood merryland and smoke some pretty weird stuff youll believe that 2000 armoured Roman horsemen stuck in a space of 4x4 meters were the uber killaz of antiquity...
    Without:
    SADDLES
    STIRRUPS
    COUCHED LANCE
    Cavalry has NO chance against even merely trained infantry...

Hellenes
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Lol, indeed Hellenes. A "classic" legion during Augustus' time would field only about 100-200 horsemen, versus about 5000 infantrymen.

The fact that cavalry is both overpowered and to cheap in the game when compared to what we know of history is only touching the tip of the iceberg. It's just a game, so I'll leave it at that, but arguing that stacks with 50% or more cavalry are historicly accurate is just sad

Cavarly was Over Powerd 2000 Years Ago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast