Thread: "Look of Eagles"

Default "Look of Eagles"

This is a history question; on some generals when you hover your mouse over their command stars the pop up box appears to tell you that they have the "look of eagles" about them. What does this title describe and where was it used?

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Default Re: "Look of Eagles"

Their command rating. I think it's 8, 9 or 10 star generals who have that description. The look of the eagles probably refers to the eagles on the roman aquilifers, the symbol of Roman military power.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

or that they didnt need glasses.....
    carpe noctum (and their women!)

...or that they looked like eagles.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

It's a common term to describe a great warrior, to say someone has "The Look of Eagles" means that man stands above the rest on the battlefield, Axelandros, for example. Who first coined the term, I have no idea.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Wigferth Ironwall
    It's a common term to describe a great warrior, to say someone has "The Look of Eagles" means that man stands above the rest on the battlefield, Axelandros, for example. Who first coined the term, I have no idea.
    Thanks, I kind-of assumed that the saying described some quallity about a man that made him respectable as a warrior. I guess it is pretty hopeful of me to ask for the historical origins of a not-so-common phrase.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Its not un-common, its just you don't come across it unless you read certain things. Try the Monestary.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

This reminds me of some anecdote I´ve read about Emperor Frederick II. When he first crossed the Alps (before he was made King of Germany), standing on the peak of a mountain he asked one of his companions how far an eagle circling above could see. He was told the eagle was able to see a mouse moving in the camp below. To that he answered "So the eagle only sees his hunting areal. But I, who I have so much worse eyesight, still see far more".

9* general has the "look of eagles" description.

if you defeat a first cohorte completely you get their eagle, if you defeat a few you get really cool names and extra command starts...
    carpe noctum (and their women!)

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Cras, your eagle description is an actual trait. The look of the eagles is when you put your mouse over the command rating (when it's somewhere at 8-9).
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

never noticed. i thought i said something like this dude is the best general ever. and everybody runs and he has a big ****

We do not sow.