Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Campaign

Default Re: Best Campaign

I've just downloaded v1.5 and now when I try to pick a faction with no description it crashes.

My best campaign was probably my Julli campaign on an early version of SPQR. Macedon was very tough to beat

What up thracian. Got any screenshots of that there campaign?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Best Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Severous
    Ive noticed the positive things about Mars and have decided to build a few to Mars in other towns...and move away from almost only Juno temples. Maybe I will get some different retinue also...a change from Priestess and Priests of Juno? If so will my generals be able to have one of each ?
    Yes, you can have multiple priest. Priest of Mars, I admit, are not that good. Just +2 attack or something. You can also get Wrestlers, which are not that impressive either. On the other hand, the healers Juno provides are not as good as plain chirugeon's anyway, so perhaps it doesn't make that much of a difference (unles their bonuses are cumulative with the chirugeon's; then they are very interesting.

- Fighting Pontus. Eastern Infantry are not dangerous.
    That is putting it mildly. Eastern Infantry are basically an oversized militia unit and compete with Iberian Infantry for being the weakest second-line unit (although I think the latter received an upgrade in 1.3).

But along the way a stack of horse archers. Trying to envelope them. Worked reasonably well. One got away though and led me a merry dance.
    Get some Cretans, or perhaps Rhodians. Either one is a good buy anyway, since they are deadly against most units. Enveloping them is not as effective as I would hope since they can fire effectively even when running. IMHO horse archers are a bit overpowered in this game.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Thank you for those comments Ludens. I will bear those in mind and report back on what happens.

Ive not done much since my last post. But have earned a heroic victory and a fourth famous battle mark.

I wish the game had not tried to ambush that Gaul army as it moved past me. If it got past me it would have moved further along the road and attacked the Julii army. That allied Julii army is a real pain for me...as I am trying to pass through this area and get to Malissa. But Julii is blocking the road.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

I wish the game had not tried to ambush that Gaul army as it moved past me. If it got past me it would have moved further along the road and attacked the Julii army. That allied Julii army is a real pain for me...as I am trying to pass through this area and get to Malissa. But Julii is blocking the road.
    I thought if you withdrew an army that was ambushing it would go back into hiding and the enemy army would just continue on as long as they didnt run directly into you.

Not sure what to do next. Can't go north, Looks like the only faction I can attack is dacia.

Still have a little while before I can take rome.

Any ideas on which direction I should go because I have none at all.

Good morning Teyls

You and your Protectorates. Lots of looking to work out whats what.

Dacia is an ally. Its only two areas but they all count. Would put you next to Scythia who you probobly need to fight eventually to gain more regions.

But isnt it Germany that has to be taken? More regions and fits well into the Julii empire. That Protectorate dimension to consider. I dont understand how allies of protectorates work but might attacking Germany cause you problems in Spain and Macedon ?
    Maybe some diplomacy and get Romans fighting Germany and see if your protectorates will drop their alliance with Germany?

Am interested in your thoughts on Germany.
    Regards

Good morning Teyls

You and your Protectorates. Lots of looking to work out whats what.

Dacia is an ally. Its only two areas but they all count. Would put you next to Scythia who you probobly need to fight eventually to gain more regions.

But isnt it Germany that has to be taken? More regions and fits well into the Julii empire. That Protectorate dimension to consider. I dont understand how allies of protectorates work but might attacking Germany cause you problems in Spain and Macedon ?
    Maybe some diplomacy and get Romans fighting Germany and see if your protectorates will drop their alliance with Germany?

Am interested in your thoughts on Germany.
    I dont want to attack germany because it will cancel my alliance with macedon and spain. The only way to get spain and macedonia to cancel their alliances with germania is if I can some how get germania to attack me. The only problem is I have already, in this campaign, had germania as a protectorate, twice, and I doubt they will attack. Only once have I gotten an ally of a protectorate to attack me, I believe it was brittania and we both had germania as protectorate, but in the case with germania they are already weak enough that if they were to declare war on me they would most likely give up immediately and thats why (I think) they wont. Now, I can attack them and most likely gain them as a protectorate but I will lose spain and macedon, thats how I originally lost germania I decided macedon was more profitable. I also could just wipe out all three, but thats no fun.
    Last edited by Telys; 04-08-2006 at 09:34.

Ive no experience of managing protectorates. Whilst your campaign style is unique (ive not seen others post images like yours) yet it comes with draw backs. Free of the political constraints you could be ploughing through Germany and heading east beyond.

This is about as complex as my campaign gets. Joint action with allied Romans against a town full of good quality peasants.
    Regards

Ahh.. given up on Macedon. Getting stabbed in the back turn after turn by Allies is not only frustrating, but boring.

Im going to start a Brutii Campaign.

My target: Dominate sea trade by taking all of the coastal provinces and islands in the Mediterranean.
    Last edited by Garvanko; 04-10-2006 at 00:47.

Well, Ive started the Brutii Campaign.

My first goal was to quickly gain a foothold in Sicily. I quickly poured all my troops plus a couple of Generals on a ship and sent them to Syracuse. My goal was to take Syracuse and Lilybaem, then Carthage. The first two I was successful, but suprisingly the Scipii moved fast into Africa, once they saw what I was doing. Theyve taken Thapsus, and Carthage is both heavily defended and under seige from Numidia.

Taking Sicily..

In Greece, I went first for Thermon, took it, then went back for Apollonia (10 turn mission from the Senate at the start of the game.) My exploits in Sicily left me a bit weak in Greece, and open to an attack from Macedon, who duly seiged Thermon. I lost the settlement, but had time to sweep an army south to take Athens. Its from here and Tarentum that I will launch my main assault on Greece.

Training Principes at Athens

Macedon has grown quite strong in this game, so I got an Alliance with the Greek Cities, just to keep them honest.

Playing VH/H.
    Last edited by Garvanko; 04-10-2006 at 15:08.

Greetings Garvanko from a fellow Brutii commander

Im playing easier..on H/H

I go for senate missions as fast as reasonably possible and want to capture the eastern end of the map. I went for Appolonia on turn one. Then onto Thermon. Soon after Sicilly fell to Scipii. I took Greece and Macedon before they could become powerful. I have only built one Principle unit in the campaign so far. As im going to fight eastern nations with elephants and chariots I am preferring velites and archers. Also lots of cavalry to take on the horsemen of the the russian/persian expanse.

Here is me in 253 BC...several years on from your position.

About to capture the Pontus Capital.

Needless to say..this friendly fire casualty did not heal at the end of the battle. Walking in front of artillery that is firing is not recommended. I will be more careful next time.

This was the enemy unit I was most worried about. Was all going well as archers killed them from afar.

But then they 'ran amok' and as they did so they did their best move..they came out of the city and smashed into my archers.

I have 4 armies in the north east, 2 in the alps, 2 in Turkey. The biggest army is blocking a pass in a fort north of the southern Pontus city. Im hoping the Secloid nation will take on the big Pontus forces in southern Turkey and once weakened I will march in against a weakened survivor.

Ive just survived my first ever Plague. The scripted plague event in Thessolonica. Didnt loose my governor who indeed gained some nice traits whilst holed up in the city constructing various buildings. I followed the advice on the forums and deliberately infected one of my spies and took him to visit other factions. Carefully by ship he went to go study volcano Etna. It was a real shame he infected the Scipii towns on Sicilly. If he survives long enough he will go to Spain and Britian next.
    Regards

Fantastic stuff, Severos.

Great screenshots, too. Why don't you use Minimal UI on the Battle map?

I've progressed pretty well in my campaign since my last post. Took Larissa (senate mission), and Carthage (finally, after Numidia had softened them up).

Rebels attacked my forces at Lilybaem - didn't expect that.

I then seiged Thessalonica. On the next turn, the city got the plague! Coincidence? As soon as I take it, it will get a spanking new shrine to Juno. The Alliance with Greece did help stem the tide, although Corinth is now well garissoned by Macedonian Pikemen. South of them at Sparta, Greece has two full stacks, so I can understand the Macedonian reluctance to attack me at Athens. Also explains how I took Thermon and Larissa so easily.
    Last edited by Garvanko; 04-10-2006 at 21:56.

Well, I decided to take what's left of dacia. The battle for campus lazyges.

Dude took it to the neck.

Conquered lands in Gaul starting to make some money.

Old screenshot from greek campaign. General getting in on the action.

Taking Byzantium

I pushed on and took Lepis in Africa, as well as Corinth and Sparta.

Update: Asia Minor.

This army is defending the bridge while I seige Halicarrnass. Nicomedia is also under seige. The Pontic army near Pergamnum is full of Eastern Infantry, and they have been standing around there for a few turns.

Taking Halicarrnass. Cavalry charge.

Im now going to sweep round the eastern Med taking all the coastal provinces from Egypt. Lots of fun in this campaign. Marian reforms yet to occur, though I watching Patavium closely.
    Last edited by Garvanko; 04-11-2006 at 17:16.

All of this has made me want to get back on the campaign trail again. Really nice campaigns there guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvanko
    Taking Byzantium

I pushed on and took Lepis in Africa, as well as Corinth and Sparta.

Update: Asia Minor.

This army is defending the bridge while I seige Halicarrnass. Nicomedia is also under seige. The Pontic army near Pergamnum is full of Eastern Infantry, and they have been standing around there for a few turns.

Taking Halicarrnass. Cavalry charge.

Im now going to sweep round the eastern Med taking all the coastal provinces from Egypt. Lots of fun in this campaign. Marian reforms yet to occur, though I watching Patavium closely.
    Very nice. I tried controlling all the coastal cities as the greeks once. I got a lot of money but found it a little difficult to maintain my borders due to the fact i was spread out from spain to the black sea and was at war with most everybody, and transporting generals and armies to the main battlefronts took a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Telys The Conqueror
    Very nice. I tried controlling all the coastal cities as the greeks once. I got a lot of money but found it a little difficult to maintain my borders due to the fact i was spread out from spain to the black sea and was at war with most everybody, and transporting generals and armies to the main battlefronts took a while.
    I think I got lucky in Greece. Macedon left me alone once they were down to one province (Bylazora). I also have stable Alliances with Scythia, Germania and Spain, so Im well covered in the North and the West. Pontus is my main front at the moment, though war with Egypt is imminent.

I think it helps alot that the Brutii have such great temples. A very well balanced faction, imo.

Decide to go to war with germania.
    That famous battle should not be there. I had about 300 men and germania had about 1400. They won, I killed about 400 men.

Here is a shot of that battle.

I can now take on the senate, after getting over two cases of the plague in mediolanium and arretium. I lost a 17 year old general to the one arretium.

No marian reforms yet?

If you do take on the senate, may I suggest you head straight for Sicily first. It likely to be poorly defended, but more importantly, it will probably have at least one settlement with a Temple to Vulcan plus a Foundry. Retrain your troops there, and then take the rest of Italy. Also use it as a launchpad for your invasion into Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvanko
    No marian reforms yet?

If you do take on the senate, may I suggest you head straight for Sicily first. It likely to be poorly defended, but more importantly, it will probably have at least one settlement with a Temple to Vulcan plus a Foundry. Retrain your troops there, and then take the rest of Italy. Also use it as a launchpad for your invasion into Africa.
    Reforms happened maybe 3 years ago, all I've been able to muster up since then is like 5 units of legionary calvary and some archer auxilia, I've been spending most of that time trying to get rid of all my hastati. I was gonna head straight for rome but your idea sounds pretty solid, I think I'll do that.

Good luck.

Defending Pergamnun from Pontus. Heroic victory - The 2500+ kills is misleading. Most of the second Pontic army routed from the field without even entering the city.

I decided to start a new campaign as thrace.

My second battle with pontus.

The outcome.

Some statistics.

Campaign map.

Having some trouble gaining protectorates as thrace. No trouble gaining enemies though.

I'm about to take tarentum and domus dulcis domus. I'm also debating on whether or not I should take themiskyra, kind of isolated, but would fill out my empire real nice.

Ferocious Northern Barbarian Member Bastarnae's Avatar

Guys how can I post screenshots of my campaigns? like Garvanko or Telys are doing....I mean,I know about imageshack but it gives me a link wich I could post here.But I want to see the small imagine here and after clicking it gets bigger like Telys does

Thanks

You play fast Telys. Takes me weeks to get that far. Too many enemies for my liking...although you have no trouble despatching them I see.

Bastarnae..so you have the screenshot ready , its hosted on imageshack..but cant get the right link ? Cool . You have done the hard bits.

Heres a shot...the highlighted link is the one you want for the thumbnails.

Left click right at the very start of the link so all is highlighted. Then right click to call up the copy option. You now have the link in windows ready to paste onto this or other furums.

And so I stay on topic: From my currrent Brutii campaign.

The final battle for Pontus is about to begin. Jumping off from that fort is a full Brutii stack with a mix of forces. Bit light on cavalry and Roman infantry but good on missiles and Phalanx. It faces chariots, heavy cavalry, light missile cav and loads of Eastern Infantry.

Elsewhere in the world:
    - Brutii spy spreads plague in Scipii Sicilly and Africa.
    - Brutii cavalry forces sweeping across Scythia and into Perthia.
    - Brutii forces capturing, then allowing to revolt, the towns of Mallissa and Mediolanium
    Last edited by Severous; 04-17-2006 at 19:33.
    Regards

Ferocious Northern Barbarian Member Bastarnae's Avatar

Thanks but I doesn't work because the file is over 2MB...however....I get the Marius Reforms in 243 BC WITHOUT IMPERIAL PALACE anywhere

You play fast Telys. Takes me weeks to get that far. Too many enemies for my liking...although you have no trouble despatching them I see.
    Yea, I've been trying to get a ceasefire from scythia, the greek cities, and macedon but for some reason they wont have it, rather frustrating if you ask me, they're basically forcing me to expand. Most of my other enemies were former allies who betrayed me once my borders reached theirs', ie pontus and the romans. Everybody keeps attacking me, the only faction I declared war upon was pontus because they were blocking the sea of marmara(not sure on the spelling) and my ships couldnt leave the black sea, and directly after that attack I offered a ceasefire and alliance that lasted about 5-6 years before they attacked me once I took pergamum.
    Last edited by Telys; 04-18-2006 at 06:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastarnae
    Guys how can I post screenshots of my campaigns? like Garvanko or Telys are doing....I mean,I know about imageshack but it gives me a link wich I could post here.But I want to see the small imagine here and after clicking it gets bigger like Telys does

Thanks
    Once you've hosted the screenshot (in JPEG format), transfer the link (link for forums 1) into your reply box.

That is all.

Brutii campaign has progressed well. Have conquered all the coastal cities on the eastern side of the Med - including Alexandria, Jerusalem, and Antioch.

Arcani taking on Rebels in Italy.

Will post some shots of my initial invasion of Rome, Croton, Messana and Thapsus - all in the same turn!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast