Thread: rise of legends demo

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: rise of legends demo

This is the new game based on Rise of Nations right? An interesting direction for the series.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Downloading now. I liked RON, I'll have to think about buying this. I just hope they made the empire building part more interesting.
    Last edited by Mongoose; 04-14-2006 at 22:18.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

It crawls on my computer
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    It crawls on my computer
    Whats your spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch
    Whats your spec?
    pentium 2.4, radeon 9800

it does work reasonably well with a quick battle, but the campaign game is slooooow

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    pentium 2.4, radeon 9800

it does work reasonably well with a quick battle, but the campaign game is slooooow
    Some times the required specs are higher for demos for some reason, maybe they'll polish it up by 1.0

I looked at the GameFAQs board for this and there appears to be an official post by the devs about the demo performance. They state that the build is very early, and probably should have been updated a bit before being released.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

The demo is out for some time now, ran fine on my computer, but not really that great I think. Some of the Vinci units seem too big for the engine, meaning on rough terrain thei look strange and not "natural" in the way they move, plus they are just too big.
    I couldn´t win any skirmish playing Alin versus the vinci, the Vinci always overrun me with huge masses while my Alin are low on ressources, either I was doing something wrong or there is a lack of balance.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Okay, I played 2 skirmish games, some comments:

*I played 2 skirmish games, which means this demo kept me interested longer than any other recent rts game demo

bad points:

*the game could really use another zoom out level, the buildings are too big for the current max

*I won easily both times, the AI keeps attacking at the same spot, not really challenging

*rather limited unit selection, I just spammed whatever I could afford and flooded the AI, there's no real 'strategy' in this rts

*terrain looks pretty boring, and non interactive

*building districts is pretty annoying imho, it breaks the flow of the game, I'd rather have some sort of research that could give the same effects, so i wouldn't have to go back to my cities every few minutes.

good points:

*I played 2 skirmish games, which means this demo kept me interested longer than any other recent rts game demo

*the setting seems fun

*it didn't give me the immediate 'been there-done that' feeling most rts games these days do

*pretty big armies