Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roots of Anti-Semitism ?

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Default Re: Roots of Anti-Semitism ?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Peasant
    Many Jews have observed their own religion and customs over the centuries, but they have always integrated well in many other ways and have made positive contributions to the communities that they have joined.
    By integrate I meant literally 'become a part of'. They have almost always stayed outsiders. I never said this was a bad thing, it just made them 'different'. And if haven't noticed, being 'different' isn't considered a good thing by many people.

As for Muslim integration, it's a difficult issue, on the one hand we've had more crime related to them, on the other hand, we have more muslim celebrities and muslim politicians than Jewish ones. They also don't have separate schools like the Jews. overall i'd say they're better integrated. But it's how you look at it I suppose.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

“By integrate I meant literally 'become a part of'.” The problem was, and sometimes still is, they were not ALLOWED to integrate. You can’t do this, you can’t do that, you live here and you have to be there at the time we impose etc. It isn’t the way to integrate people.
    And even if you wish to do so, you will always have a Hitler, a Petain, a Front National, BNP or KKK to remind you that YOU are NOT a real citizen of this country because you are a Jew.
    Remember the Captain Dreyfus: what could he have done more to integrate? Married, 2 kids, officer in the artillery, ready to fight for his country. But he was chosen to be the traitor just because he was a Jew. After 20 years he was reintegrate in the Army, but his only guilt was to be a Jew.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

BHCWarman88

Unhappy Re: Roots of Anti-Semitism ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Christianity and islam always had it's own homelands I guess, jews have always been guests in other cultures, while holding on to their own. Being somewhat different then the overal population makes you a nice target.
    Jews never Actually have a Homeland. For Example,Muslims Settled Mainly in the Middle East, Chirstians in the West,Hindu and Buddism in Asia,etc... Jews doesn't have a Main Homeland to settle to (uness you count Iserail)

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Probably true, they refused to integrate in almost any society, always hanging on to their own traditions and God. Now this might be a noble thing to do, but it sure doesn't make you popular with the society you are supposed to be a part of.
    By that reasoning any member of a minority religious or for that matter non-religous group will be unpopular with the rest of society. So which is in the wrong the minorities for practicing what they believe in or the societies for having an issue with that?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    By that reasoning any member of a minority religious or for that matter non-religous group will be unpopular with the rest of society. So which is in the wrong the minorities for practicing what they believe in or the societies for having an issue with that?
    I'd say society. And you don't agree that minority groups are often a target ?

if they're small enough people tend to leave them alone, if they become larger, society tends to have a problem with it...
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Actually I agree with the reasoning in the specific case and that it is a good example of something that happens in general. So you have pointed out a universal rule of bad social behaviour.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12