Thread: New Tactics

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Default New Tactics

Anyone used any strange tactics in game. I mean unorthodox, unconventional, have no idea if it will work but try it anyway. Post your revolutionary tactics here, please.
    I had a box made of phalanxes with archers inside. I placed calvary archers and clavary outside just to harass the enemy. Worked like a charm. My phalanxes held them in place while my clavary shot/charged them from behind. Absolutely beautiful. It didn't turn out like it should(my picture). Does anyone know how to take a picture of this. It was like on large Schiltron.
    Last edited by IrishArmenian; 06-21-2006 at 21:08.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Default Re: New Tactics

I havent tried it, and probaly never will. Having a full sized army in a battle and splitting them. Making each one a box without a bottom and put calvary and general behind and in middle of each.

Enemy charges in middle=isntant flanking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One time I hid my entire cavalry force (which was sizeable) in the woods nearby as the enemy army was moving to envelope my forces. I waited until they passed and then hit 'em from behind.

And Woad Warrior's Battle Guide is a big help in finding useful formations.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

A variation on the above.

Hide your entire force except the general. General is to move around the outside of the map avoiding combat. The enemy army will march around following him. The infantry will tire.

Then ambush the enemy cavalry/general with your hidden troops. Kill the enemy cavalry.

Finally bring out your infantry...if needed..and use these fresh troops against the now exhausted enemy infantry. The AI infantry will have seen all the prior losses inflicted, routing friends, be exhausted, lost its general....it will break easily. Add any of fire arrows, artillery, hill disadvantage, chariots, dogs...and you may see the enemy rout without a fight.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

For some reason. Most of the time the enemy drifts towards my hidden units like it knows they are there. Major bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Hidden troops have to be hidden from the deployment stage. Its not so good hiding them during the battle. At least one unit of the enemy always seems to remember where you hid a unit during the battle.

Phalanx troops cannot hide in woods in Phalanx mode...so to deploy them hidden you take them out of phalanx mode. Often the first command they will get as you lure the enemy general to these hidden troops is to turn on phalanx mode.

Do we all know about using spies to open city gates. More spies means increased chance. With 4 entrance points to the AI city you can often get troops in with few losses. Then on stone walls you send them up on the walls to capture all the gateways and towers....which then fire on the enemy.

Egyptian Chariot general has scythed rear wheels. Get AI generals and cavalry to chase it. Keep going but slow/swerve side to side so the persuers catch up with the rear of the generals chariots...and down the enemy will go. Fire at will also means they are being shot at all the time.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by holybandit
    For some reason. Most of the time the enemy drifts towards my hidden units like it knows they are there. Major bummer.
    Yes indeed, I've never successfully ambushed an enemy on the battle map, even when I did deploy my troops in the woods and put my general and the bulk of my forces far away from the hidden units !

On the other hand, I do understand why the AI manages to find the ''hidden'' units....the trees are so big it's impossible not to see ''hidden'' units !

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Any plans I make never go right and always generate into a mess no matter what I do
    Make Beer Not War