Thread: I wasn't even considering buying Alexander until...

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Default I wasn't even considering buying Alexander until...

...I discovered that you could download the game for only £8.50 (plus insurance and tax) This value is incredible. And, I don't have to either go out to the shop and buy it OR order it off the net and be forced to wait in anxiety. In the UK a cheap PC game will cost about £25 and a cheap expansion pack will cost about £15-20. In comparison, Alexander is offering a lot of good gameplay, (from what I have read on the forums) interesting battles, a challenging (and therefore good) campaign map and, most importantly, brilliant modding prospects (due to the small number of factions).

I personally think this is a great deal, especially compared to games like The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion where the developers are charging huge amounts of money for pathetic content mods which give about 20 hours each.

I saw the campaign map and thought it looked a bit pathetic at first but I don't even care anymore.

Thoughts?
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Default Re: I wasn't even considering buying Alexander until...

From what I've read about the Alexander mini-expansion, I wouldn't play it even if it was free. Also, a mod like XGM for RTW offers a lot more gameplay and it is free.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Well I do have Alexander. Played through a few of the historic battles and then started a campaign. Three moves into it I put it aside. I do not enjoy blitz campaigns with repetitious battles over and over for 100 turns so I'm back to RTW.

So for me it was definately not worth the AUD$24.00 for 10 minutes of play.

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Im not buying it simply for the fact that Sometimes I dont like to fight battles personally. Sometimes I do,sometimes I dont. I dont want to be forced to fight 100 battles all by myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Wait, autocalc h as been removed?

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

No it hasnt. Just if you fight battles over and over with the autocalc your only army will be destroyed extremely fast, and from what I here there is dozens of battles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Indeed, using autocalc is disastrous.
    The Persians start with a huge army, their army bill is over 60K, and you'll be badly outnumbered in nearly every battle (and there're a lot of battles).

I guess I won't be spending money on this. Better to just play one of the many better mods around. And if you want lots of big battles, just go for SPQR Total War.

I hate facing multiple stack every single turn - its just not realistic, especially when it is so unrealistic.. and it gets very boring, very fast. I'll stick with vanilla, XGM and BI for now. In any case, if you have BI, I don't see the need to get Alexander.
    Last edited by Garvanko; 06-26-2006 at 21:57.

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvanko
    I guess I won't be spending money on this. Better to just play one of the many better mods around. And if you want lots of big battles, just go for SPQR Total War.

I hate facing multiple stack every single turn - its just not realistic, especially when it is so unrealistic.. and it gets very boring, very fast. I'll stick with vanilla, XGM and BI for now. In any case, if you have BI, I don't see the need to get Alexander.
    I agree that it probably isn't worth the money, but it isn't realistic. Considering how vast the Persian empire was, mustering a whole load of men to outnumber you many times over isn't exactly a challenge for them.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Quote Originally Posted by Garvanko
    I'll stick with vanilla, XGM and BI for now.
    Based on a Carthage campaign I'm currently playing on medium difficulty, the latest version of XGM is quite an improvement over vanilla in both the strategic and tactical gameplay. After quickly getting into lost positions in my first two starts, I'm doing better with an altered strategy in my 3rd campaign. Unlike Alexander which goes for extreme unbalance, XGM achieves improved gameplay by going for less unbalance both strategically and tactically.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Senior Member Senior Member Jambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    From what I've read about the Alexander mini-expansion, I wouldn't play it even if it was free. Also, a mod like XGM for RTW offers a lot more gameplay and it is free.
    What's XGM?
    =MizuDoc Otomo=

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo
    What's XGM?
    Extended Greek Mod

CBR