Thread: Noob Question

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

Default Noob Question

Hi all,

I am new to the "Rome" series of games, having played MTW before. In MTW, you could select a group of units, and click-and-drag them into a line of whatever width and depth you wanted. In Rome, when I try the same thing, the units seem to keep their original arrangement (relative to each other). How can I quickly and easily get my units into a nice simple line?

Thanks.
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

WoT fanatic Member 4th Dimension's Avatar

Default Re: Noob Question

If you have allready grooped them then they tend to keep their original formation. Usualy, just click and drag with the right mouse button and you should see the dots representing your new formation.

If you have actually assigned them to a group i.e. Ctrl+1 then the "unit formations" button will be available in the bottom right of the screen.

If you click it a new set of buttons will appear letting you set all the groups unit in a single line (or double line or archers to the back or cav to the front or whatever)

All for 2 clicks of the mouse! Sweet eh?

Quote Originally Posted by gmjapan
    If you have actually assigned them to a group i.e. Ctrl+1 then the "unit formations" button will be available in the bottom right of the screen.

If you click it a new set of buttons will appear letting you set all the groups unit in a single line (or double line or archers to the back or cav to the front or whatever)

All for 2 clicks of the mouse! Sweet eh?

Really? I never knew that. Thanks for the tip!

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Dimension
    If you have allready grooped them then they tend to keep their original formation. Usualy, just click and drag with the right mouse button and you should see the dots representing your new formation.
    Ah, that explains it. I had already grouped them. I also didn't see the group formations buttons, mainly because I wasn't looking for them - in MTW I knew about them but almost never used them. I've always preferred to create my own formations.
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

hey, i didn't know that either. might be worth a try...thanks for the info.