Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Well, I was kind of more inclined to install the other mod, "Francesco's leveled creatures", but now after you've both recommended OOO, I'm not sure. Did anybody try both of them? I downloaded them both and I am willing to try either, but I'd really like to start on the right foot with Oblivion this time around...
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I believe that OOO though changes parts of the game and adds some new stuff like frost minotours so you aren't getting the exact Oblivion experience, but all of the changes are well done.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Well finally got my ctds under at least most control...

Anyways, check out these Oblivion videos posted on the official forums:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/in...owtopic=686932

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hrvojej
    Well, I was kind of more inclined to install the other mod, "Francesco's leveled creatures", but now after you've both recommended OOO, I'm not sure. Did anybody try both of them? I downloaded them both and I am willing to try either, but I'd really like to start on the right foot with Oblivion this time around...
    Francesco's is a much more modest mod. It's a more basic change to the game and essentially fixes the leveled creatures and a few other things. OOO is way better in my opinion because it goes far, far beyond that. Almost every dungeon is made into a unique experience. High-level treasure has been hand placed in dungeons to match their difficulty. If you want a full set of daedric armor, you have to earn it. IMO, Francesco's fixes a few problems with the game but largely keeps it the way it is. OOO makes Oblivion the game it should have been on release.

Thanks to everybody for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    Francesco's is a much more modest mod. It's a more basic change to the game and essentially fixes the leveled creatures and a few other things.
    Are you refering to just the leveled creatures part of Francesco's mod, or the optional part as well? I downloaded both parts, and the optional part with added goodies is over 400MB in size, and I was under the impression that it adds quite a bit to the game. I'm not saying that it's better than OOO, it just had prettier screenshots that got me interested, I admit. Though the things you've mentioned about OOO is exactly what I would want to see and experience in the game. Just to be sure: the mod makes it possible, for example, to kill a goblin with a single blow when I'm level 20, and to find a single piece of high level loot if I'm extremely lucky even if my character is at a low level, right?

Once again, many thanks for all this info. I'd really like to get myself into that game and the whole TES series again after the initial disappointment with Oblivion, and hopefully these mods are the answer to that.
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Quote Originally Posted by hrvojej
    Are you refering to just the leveled creatures part of Francesco's mod, or the optional part as well? I downloaded both parts, and the optional part with added goodies is over 400MB in size, and I was under the impression that it adds quite a bit to the game. I'm not saying that it's better than OOO, it just had prettier screenshots that got me interested, I admit. Though the things you've mentioned about OOO is exactly what I would want to see and experience in the game.
    I haven't played Francesco's for a long time. When I played it there was only about 150mbs of download (IIRC), so there's obviously more to it now than there used to be. In contrast, the last time I played OOO was last fall and it had an over 600mb download. So, I guess take my answer with a grain of salt, since it appears that Francesco's has advanced a lot since the last time I saw it.

Just to be sure: the mod makes it possible, for example, to kill a goblin with a single blow when I'm level 20, and to find a single piece of high level loot if I'm extremely lucky even if my character is at a low level, right?
    Yep. Generally, the further you get away from civilization, the more dangerous the environment. Going way into the wilderness can be near impossible at low levels. There are also some really creative dungeons with unique bosses that can be very hard to kill. Some of the biggest bosses in the game are hidden in out-of-the-way dungeons and you can find them by following rumors and clues left in lower level dungeons. The toughest bosses will give you a run for your money even at level 40+.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Bah! No monsters are too tough in Oblivion if you get 100% charmeleon through enchanting after which you have perma invisibility and can just run around in sneak mode attacking people and getting the sneak attack bonus every time. Better yet, no one notices where you are so they don't try to reltaliate and merely runs away
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Although I agree with TinCow that OOO is a great mod, I'd disagree in saying that it makes things extremely difficult.

I'm in a situation now where I've got, iirc, 90% resist magic, 10% absorb magic, 10% reflect magic and 65% shield without casting any spells.

I may be going to the wrong places, but nothing is giving me a challenge.

I'm level 5.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Is OOO increasing or decreasing the difficulty? I think the original game started getting a bit too easy after I got to level 10 or so, with exception only for the wraiths, which were difficult to deal with a little longer. But I've got 100 sneak, so I can almost do the same as 100% chameleon. Most enemies die or lose at least 60% of their health if I sneak up on them at make a ebony longsword power attack in their back, then the rest of the battle is over in no time.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

TinCow - Does the OOO 1.31 (latest I think) work ok with the 1.2 Official patch?

I have no idea. When I played it last, 1.2 wasn't out. Maybe the OOO webpage can tell you:
    http://jorgeoscuro.googlepages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    Is OOO increasing or decreasing the difficulty? I think the original game started getting a bit too easy after I got to level 10 or so, with exception only for the wraiths, which were difficult to deal with a little longer. But I've got 100 sneak, so I can almost do the same as 100% chameleon. Most enemies die or lose at least 60% of their health if I sneak up on them at make a ebony longsword power attack in their back, then the rest of the battle is over in no time.
    It increases the starting difficulty by a mile, and seems to scale well from there.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

I think this is the best rpg game ive played and btw has any1 got the expansion for it yet(i havent read other posts so forgive me if other people are talking abot it)

Inflecto tenus rex of rex rgis
    Τόξο κάτω στο βασιλιά των βασιλιάδων.
    Im ο αυτοκράτορας και έχει τις λεγεώνες στην εντολή μου.
    Τα χίλια έθνη της ρωμαϊκής αυτοκρατορίας σας κατεβαίνουν opon.
    Ex tuo ipsius fato te Amor servare non potest.

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    It increases the starting difficulty by a mile, and seems to scale well from there.
    I only got the game this year, played with it for 20 hours or so on vanilla & just got really bored, but couldn't put my finger on why? I read about OOO, & thought I'd give it a whirl with a new character - a mage - & my word, it's different. I've played 6 hours or so, still lvl 1, I have to run if I see more than one human enemy & I actually have to think my way through the fights. Before I was just thwacking my way through anything & everything regardless; now I feel like a pathetic specimen who can be clubbed down by a couple of strokes of a claymore, which is, to be honest, how it should be.

Highly recommended.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

My friend will lend me his copy of Oblivion next week. I cant wait to try this RPG, who had a mega-article exactly last year in a Romanian PC magazine.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112