Thread: Rome Total Realism? worth upgrading isp?

Default Rome Total Realism? worth upgrading isp?

I have a limited download max of 100 mb per month. Is the Rome Total Realism mod worth upgrading?
    Hear me:
    There are many ways to power.
    But know this: while strength is important, it is the most rigid tree that is shattered by the storm, just as hard stones are lifted and hurled by the wind.
    When the calm comes and soft rains fall, they fall upon the living grasses that laugh at the storms.
    -----KRALLODHRIB
    Inter-Intellect and leave a message at: http://s14.invisionfree.com/Riparian_Porch/index.php?

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Default Re: Rome Total Realism? worth upgrading isp?

I tried rtr but it didnt work. And every time I try to go to the forums to ask for technical help, this bar comes across the screen and sais something about script.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Thanks for the tip. I'll stick to BI 1.6 with bug fixers-good enough.

Also a word opf warning about the all factions mod/war map II I had no success with this mod.

NB UPDATE***
    War Map II difficulties were a result of previously modded file.
    Last edited by KRALLODHRIB; 07-11-2006 at 00:45.
    Hear me:
    There are many ways to power.
    But know this: while strength is important, it is the most rigid tree that is shattered by the storm, just as hard stones are lifted and hurled by the wind.
    When the calm comes and soft rains fall, they fall upon the living grasses that laugh at the storms.
    -----KRALLODHRIB
    Inter-Intellect and leave a message at: http://s14.invisionfree.com/Riparian_Porch/index.php?

WoT fanatic Member 4th Dimension's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by holybandit
    I tried rtr but it didnt work. And every time I try to go to the forums to ask for technical help, this bar comes across the screen and sais something about script.
    Maby you didn't have apropriate version. It doesn't work with anything other than v1.20. That means you can not instal BI when you have RTR. For me RTR worked well.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

There should not be any problem installing Rome Total Realism - it is a pretty well established mod, with no teething problems remaining that I know of.

I would highly recommend it, but whether it is worth upgrading your isp may depend on cost issues. However, RTR aside, 100mb per month sounds frugal.

Here's a copy of what I've previously posted here about RTR:

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    It's probably the most popular RTW mod (although not strangely not discussed much by Org members despite the endless grognard grumbling about vanilla RTW).

It started off getting rid of the "fantasy" units of RTW and gradually replaced virtually all the vanilla models with more authentic (and arguably better looking) ones.

It also slowed the movement speed and kill rates, and raised morale, so that the battles "feel" more like those in MTW.

It rebalanced the combat arms. Cavalry & missiles were somewhat downgraded in power (& cavalry raised in price), making heavy infantry more dominant than in vanilla. Peltasts and javelins in general arguably have more of a role in RTR than RTW.

It implemented a nice recruitment system whereby it takes years to train units in captured settlements. This acts as a break on player expansion.

There are also some changes to the strategic map: more provinces, more realistic starting dates and changes to the faction line ups (unified Rome, no British faction).

Naval combat was tweaked to be more decisive.

The main version is RTR Gold but it has recently been ported to 1.5 (RTR Platinum) so players don't have to put up with the save/reload bug, bugged charge stats and can control bandit/pirate spawn rates.

If you want to see what it is like, have a look at the "Will of the Senate" PBM in the Throne Room, e.g. the battle reports thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=65721

To be honest, I got very disillusioned with vanilla RTW - no challenge, didn't feel very realistic. But after finding RTR, I've become a fan of the engine.

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

RTR is very good mod. At least they listen community from my expirience.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by KRALLODHRIB
    Thanks for the tip. I'll stick to BI 1.6 with bug fixers-good enough.

Also a word opf warning about the all factions mod/war map II I had no success with this mod.
    Did you install to a clean un-modded version of BI v1.6 ?