Thread: what's with the special ED generals?

Default what's with the special ED generals?

there might be a million threads about this.... but seriously, compared to Shogun, and even to medieval; the generals in RTW seem pretty slow in gaining stars. and units seem to hate gaining experiance.

is there some trick to gaining stars before your general is a geriatric? like attack and win when outnumbered 10 to 1? after the first generation of bad asses dies out, i'm usually stuck with at most 1-2 star inbreds it seems. once in a while a guy gains some good ancilleries and a star or two, but it's pretty rare.

i know i'm ranting, but when a general wins 80 battles in a row, most of them against full stack armies or more, he should be considered the second coming of Alexander

edit - it's BI if that makes any difference
    Last edited by Thon; 07-12-2006 at 06:33.

Default Re: what's with the special ED generals?

BI generals are notoriously bad at gaining command stars. the only way to get many is by lots of heroic victories against impossible odds. eagle taker trait is helpfull as well when the romans start cranking out 1st cohorts.

unfortunately there is no easy way to get around this other than modding

Default Re: what's with the special ED generals?

Quote Originally Posted by Thon
    there might be a million threads about this.... but seriously, compared to Shogun, and even to medieval; the generals in RTW seem pretty slow in gaining stars. and units seem to hate gaining experiance.

is there some trick to gaining stars before your general is a geriatric? like attack and win when outnumbered 10 to 1? after the first generation of bad asses dies out, i'm usually stuck with at most 1-2 star inbreds it seems. once in a while a guy gains some good ancilleries and a star or two, but it's pretty rare.

i know i'm ranting, but when a general wins 80 battles in a row, most of them against full stack armies or more, he should be considered the second coming of Alexander

edit - it's BI if that makes any difference
    BI has increased the difficulty of getting command stars drastically compared to RTW. On the flip side cpu generals (other than scripted ones) should have a difficult time themselves getting stars.

For example, there is one trigger for good command (+1 star) for a any clear victory with battleodds <1.6 in your favour. But in BI its more difficult because battleodds must be <1.5 and probability is only 25% of getting a star.