Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New unit - Mamluks

WoT fanatic Member 4th Dimension's Avatar

Default New unit - Mamluks

As Ituralde pointed out, a new unit has been added as http://www.totalwar.com/

Bought as slaves, and trained from boyhood, and later freed when their training is finished. These formidable professional soldiers are an elite force of heavy cavalry recruited from hardy steppe people, Well armoured and equipped with lance and mace, these well disciplined warriors are highly effective on the charge and in melee, even against armoured opponents.
    Last edited by 4th Dimension; 07-14-2006 at 20:35.

Default Re: New unit - Mamluks

I can't say I'm very impressed with this one... It just seems too 'generic' to be a Mamluk, and the shield is too small for 'shock cavalry' (incidentally I was also under the impression that the majority of Mamluks were horse-archers). Of course I can't pretend to be an expert on this subject, I've just got a gut feeling that this isn't a proper representation in any case.
    Last edited by Perplexed; 07-14-2006 at 22:50.

aka AggonyAdherbal Member Lord Adherbal's Avatar

yeah the small shield is quite rediculous. Other then that he looks ok. I bet they're have a seperate "Mamluk Horse Archer" unit like they have in MTW.
    Member of The Lordz Games Studio:
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era
    http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com

Member of The Lordz Modding Collective:
    Creators of Napoleonic Total War I & II
    http://www.thelordz.co.uk

That's what I'm hoping...

Take this for comparison.

Yeah the shield is a little small. Everything else looks fine.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

This mamluk should be a light cav unit. Their should be a mamluk archer unit, and another mamluk heavy cav unit, armed with armour piercing weaponry, maces, axes etc...

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn Munqidh
    This mamluk should be a light cav unit. Their should be a mamluk archer unit, and another mamluk heavy cav unit, armed with armour piercing weaponry, maces, axes etc...
    Well if you really wanted you could give the Mamluks their own unit roster. Not only did they conquer the Fatamids in Egypt but then they went on to decisivly defeat the Mongols time and again. It was the Mamluks who finally put down the seemingly unstoppable mongol advance.

So yeah. Reducing the mamluks to mercenary status is inaccurate enough let alone reducing them to a one or two units.

The shield is very small. Standard muslim round shields in the area could protect the entire chest area. What he's holding is really just a buckler. His lance also seems rather small and thin to be used as a shock cavalry weapon. Otherwise I think the unit looks very good. Im very impressed with the armor.

While it is true that the Mamluks eventually seized power in Egypt, they were also before a warrior caste that served under the Abbasid and after that the Ayyubid dynasty. Only after the seventh Crusade did they take over power in Egypt. They fought against the Mongols and the Fatamids using the available troops in Egypt. In no way their army consisted entirely of Mamluks then, which were originally from the Steppe area north of the Black Sea, so in portraying the Mamluks as a military unit of Steppe riders, and not as the dynasty that ruled Egypt for some time, the unit does quite well I think.

What I also mentioned in my other post is how the horse looks a little bit smaller, than the Stralezcky or the Scottish Feudal Knight, which would be a nice touch, considering that Steppe horses/Arab horses tended to be smaller than ther Western equivalents.

Cheers!

Ituralde
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

My first reaction is that both the shield and the lance look too small and flimsy. But then I consulted "Armies of the Middle Ages Vol. 2" by Ian Heath and there is a picture of an unarmoured Mamluk with similar lance (5.5 foot) and shield. They don't look terribly functional for shock combat, but if the cavalryman was primarily a horse archer, they might make sense. The book mentions the Mamluks also used a longer, 9 foot lance, and has armoured representations of the Mamluks too. The shorter lance is shown being used over-arm. (The book's drawings are derived from historical representations, BTW).

Based on this, I agree with some of the comments here, that a shock-oriented Mamluk should probably have the longer lance; the lance and shield CA present might be better on an unarmoured horse archer.

Quote Originally Posted by shifty157
    It was the Mamluks who finally put down the seemingly unstoppable mongol advance.
    Not quite. It was actually the Mongols who stopped themselves. Whereas it is easy to claim the Mamluks achieved this or that, it should not be forgotten that had the Golden Horde not fallen into dispute with the Ilkhanate; had they not supplied troops to the Mamluks; had Qaidu not begun hostilities against the Ilkhanate, history may well have painted a completely different picture. Considering that a large amount of Mamluk forces were defeated Qipchaqs who were sold as slaves to Egypt by Batu's conquering armies, without these other over riding factors the Mamluks would not have been successful.

As for the unit picture, it looks alright but IMO the new units are too small and dark

........Orda

Quote Originally Posted by Orda Khan
    Not quite. It was actually the Mongols who stopped themselves. Whereas it is easy to claim the Mamluks achieved this or that, it should not be forgotten that had the Golden Horde not fallen into dispute with the Ilkhanate; had they not supplied troops to the Mamluks; had Qaidu not begun hostilities against the Ilkhanate, history may well have painted a completely different picture. Considering that a large amount of Mamluk forces were defeated Qipchaqs who were sold as slaves to Egypt by Batu's conquering armies, without these other over riding factors the Mamluks would not have been successful.

As for the unit picture, it looks alright but IMO the new units are too small and dark

........Orda

Orda, shifty was talking about war, not political events. Who defeated the mongol horde at Ain Jalut, evenly?!! Who was the first army ever to defeat them?!! The mamluks. Yes Hulagu Khan left and took most of his forces away, and left some 25000 mongols and turks behind him. That shows that an even battle, where Saif ed Din Qutuz barely managed to gather an army, mostly of gazi volunteers, yet with a core of about 11000 mamluk proffesionals, was able to slaughter them at Ain Jalut.

The martial might of the mamluks was also evident in later battles, at destroying the remnants of Jerusalem, at Mansurah, where they slaughtered the French knights, and the Templars themselves, and captured their king, Louis IX.

I think that mamluks do deserve more than one flimsy unit in the game.

While searching around on the .com I noticed a unit roster that one of the devs had used to fight a MP battle:

1 General's Bodyguard
    2 Mamluks
    2 Mamluk Archers
    4 Saracen Militia
    4 Desert Archers
    2 Naffatum
    2 Sudanese Gunners
    2 Catapults

So there you go, at least one of the units is primarily a horse-archer (unless it means it's a foot-archer, which would be terrible).
    Last edited by Perplexed; 07-15-2006 at 18:23.

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

If I read well, they were good even in attacking armour? With spear?!
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofSerbia
    If I read well, they were good even in attacking armour? With spear?!
    Well in the text it's said thy have a mace also.

I didn't see that.
    Watching

Well that's no problem since it will probably be only secondary weapon which that unit will probably never use.

If they would simply make cavalry use their secondary weapon automatically after charging, then they will. It´s a very simple change(it´s already in Rome, just click Alt before ordering the charge, they will charge with spears and then switch to secondary), rhey just have to decide to make it.
    And if they want to leave the decision to the player, they can make them keep their primary weapon if the player klicks Alt...
    As I said it should be an easy change and I hope they will make it since it would improve performance of AI troops and not require to press Alt whenever he orders a cavalry attack.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Orda, shifty was talking about war, not political events. Who defeated the mongol horde at Ain Jalut, evenly?!! Who was the first army ever to defeat them?!! The mamluks. Yes Hulagu Khan left and took most of his forces away, and left some 25000 mongols and turks behind him. That shows that an even battle, where Saif ed Din Qutuz barely managed to gather an army, mostly of gazi volunteers, yet with a core of about 11000 mamluk proffesionals, was able to slaughter them at Ain Jalut.

The martial might of the mamluks was also evident in later battles, at destroying the remnants of Jerusalem, at Mansurah, where they slaughtered the French knights, and the Templars themselves, and captured their king, Louis IX.

I think that mamluks do deserve more than one flimsy unit in the game.
    Ain Jalut? Even? I think not. A Mongol army? Not quite. The substantial Golden Horde troops also present in the Mamluk army. This subject is well discussed in the Monastery

.......Orda

well at least there are Mamlukes unlike in MTW i think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan
    well at least there are Mamlukes unlike in MTW i think.
    MTW had Mamluks.

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed
    MTW had Mamluks.
    oh. i guess in vi?

Actually I'm fairly sure they were in the original game, not absolutely certain though.

They were, VI introduced Faris.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Orda Khan
    Ain Jalut? Even? I think not. A Mongol army? Not quite. The substantial Golden Horde troops also present in the Mamluk army. This subject is well discussed in the Monastery

.......Orda
    Just finished reading at the monastery. I dont know what you mean BTW, you did not explain anything about that battle. You said that most of the "mongol" armies of the mongol empire were in fact "chinese". Lets see, the contignent under Kitbuqa Noyon at Ain Jalut, fought and destroyed every last stronghold in Persia, destroyed the resisting Ayyubid states in Syria, fighting many, many battles, besieged and sacked Baghdad. I would say that would be a pretty experienced army, and well led regardless of mongol tactics or not, which were used at Ain Jalut BTW.

As for being even or not?! Please dont bring the 125,000 vs. 25,000 figures, those are ridiculous. At Qutuz's time, Cairo composed of 250,000 civilians. Where would he muster such a number, what kind of 21st century logistics did he use to keep that army running, and dont forget the disunity of those Islamic states at that time, so gathering a large army was pretty darn impossible. 25,000 were barely recruited.

It is usual for anyone to underestimate the mamluks, and deny the fact that yes, they did defeat the mongols on an even pitched battle, after suffering great losses themselves. The mongol image in history books is imprinted into people's brain, and their superb martial tactics, where little is known of the mamluks, especially by westerners. The mamluks were defeated only twice in history BTW, only by Selim I at Raydanniya and Marj Dabiq, and by Napoleon at the Nile, not because of their tactics or martial skills, but because their enemies on both encounters used firearms on a very large scale, muskets and cannons, whereas mamluks refused to use those ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed
    MTW had Mamluks.
    In MTW are Mamluk Cavalry and Mamluk Horse Archers.
    Watching

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

The mameluke horse archers were far more superior than the ordinary mameluke cavalry in MTW. The Faris were even better.

At least these are a bit more improved, hopefully not becoming a useless unit like the mameluke cavalry in MTW.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    The mameluke horse archers were far more superior than the ordinary mameluke cavalry in MTW. The Faris were even better.

At least these are a bit more improved, hopefully not becoming a useless unit like the mameluke cavalry in MTW.
    I agree. That's why I remoded their stats to became better unit.
    Watching

Just finished reading at the monastery. I dont know what you mean BTW, you did not explain anything about that battle. You said that most of the "mongol" armies of the mongol empire were in fact "chinese". Lets see, the contignent under Kitbuqa Noyon at Ain Jalut, fought and destroyed every last stronghold in Persia, destroyed the resisting Ayyubid states in Syria, fighting many, many battles, besieged and sacked Baghdad. I would say that would be a pretty experienced army, and well led regardless of mongol tactics or not, which were used at Ain Jalut BTW.

As for being even or not?! Please dont bring the 125,000 vs. 25,000 figures, those are ridiculous. At Qutuz's time, Cairo composed of 250,000 civilians. Where would he muster such a number, what kind of 21st century logistics did he use to keep that army running, and dont forget the disunity of those Islamic states at that time, so gathering a large army was pretty darn impossible. 25,000 were barely recruited.

It is usual for anyone to underestimate the mamluks, and deny the fact that yes, they did defeat the mongols on an even pitched battle, after suffering great losses themselves. The mongol image in history books is imprinted into people's brain, and their superb martial tactics, where little is known of the mamluks, especially by westerners. The mamluks were defeated only twice in history BTW, only by Selim I at Raydanniya and Marj Dabiq, and by Napoleon at the Nile, not because of their tactics or martial skills, but because their enemies on both encounters used firearms on a very large scale, muskets and cannons, whereas mamluks refused to use those ever.
    Ain Jalut is mentioned, and as for Chinese units I think you are mixing the invasion of Japan or Yuan troops versus Qaidu or Ariq Bukha. The contingent you mention of Qid Bukha was a rearguard not the armies of Hulegu that did the damage you mention. I did not refer to numbers in the region you mention because most historical references to numbers are to be taken with a pinch of salt. When you find the section I refer to you will see that I mention the fact that most of the 'Mongol' numbers were in fact Georgian and Armenian and that they numbered probably less than a Tumen. Considering the facts of the battle, which is also covered, there was hardly a 'crushing' of Ilkhanate forces, more like an extremely hard struggle. The Golden Horde units within Mamluk ranks was about equal to the Mongol units under Qid Bukha.
    Trust me, Ain Jalut has been well documented in Monastery threads. As for the first army to defeat a Mongol one, you should look much further back such as 1236 where a Mongol army was soundly beaten by the Volga/Kama Bulgars. There again the campaigns of Korea make some interesting reading. Compared to these Ain Jalut was a skirmish

........Orda

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faisal

Yes, Mamelukes were useful for hammering well armoured units that are pinned on spears but overall they were too weak.

Mameluke horse archers had -1 charge compared to Faris, but MHA recruited in the Sinai got a valour bonus making them superior.
    Also IIRC Faris were only availabe in High and Late eras.

I think there will be more than one Mamluk unit, there has to be

......Orda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast