Thread: Starting the early period later than 1087

Dismembered Member Marquis de Said's Avatar

Default Starting the early period later than 1087

I would like to start the early period around 1150, so that it doesn't take so long to get to the higher tech troops of high and that I wouldn't have to wait for the Horde so long.

Also, sometimes when I start in early, by the time the high period starts, I'm far more developed than any of the AI factions and am able to crush its armies made up of early-period junk. That's why I'd like to start later.

I know that you can change the start (and end) dates of the three periods in the startpos file.

I just wanted to ask the more experienced modders what kind of effects, if any, it would have on the game if I change the startpos for early to start in 1150.
    "Non nobis Domine non nobis, sed Nomini tuo da gloriam"
    (Not to n00bs, o Lord, not to n00bs, but to your Name give glory)

Default Re: Starting the early period later than 1087

Check the forums, somewhere there is a post from CA showing how to autorun the game for X number of turns, this should allow all the factions to build up a reasonable amount. If you just change the starting date to a later time all the provinces have less infrastructure, but it would be a challenge to take on the horde without a good build up.

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

newermind should've red the first post better.

Changing the starting date won't change the development difference though.

Have you removed the building of peasants or imported the muster field from VI? Helps improving the comps armies quite a bit.
    Last edited by Ironside; 07-21-2006 at 20:32.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

What seems to be the problem here is not the starting date, but more the way that the AI techs up, and the way to solve that is not to make the early period start later, but to instead give the AI a tech boost, if that is possible.

You can edit the start-up buildings in the files, under the makebuilding attributes just add the buildings you want in the provinces at the start.

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!