Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building my own computer...

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Default Re: Building my own computer...

DVD
    There is no difference between NEC ND-4570A and Pioneer DVR-111DBK. Both models use the newest NEC chip D63645AGM. And NEC has the best chips without any doubt in PC-DVD market. The main difference between this and older NEC chip is that the new chip obviously better read CDs and DVDs. And if is possible when you buying DVD-recorder ask dealer if he can put new flash in device.

Characteristics of writing: DVD+/-R 16x, DVD+RW 8x, DVD-RW 6x, DVD+/-R DL 8x, DVD-RAM 5x, CD-R 48x and CD-RW 32x

Both models cost the same in Serbia - some 35* euros. In Britain, they have, I am sure, lower price.

Hard disk
    Because you will buy AM2 platform for AMD, your choice have to be SATA II. AM2 MBs (and also the new Intel platforms – Intel MBs even don’t have one ATA) has only one ATA connector (that will use for DVD-recorder) and six SATA II connectors. In May, in most popular Serbian computer’s magazine (in English “World of Computers”) was large tests of 250 GB SATA II models. The winner of test is Samsung SP2504C. This Samsung has standard 8 MB of cache, 7200 RPM and support for NCQ and capacity of 232,88 GB when is formatted. It wiped out competition (Maxtor, Hitachi and Seagate – WD was second) in coping small files from and on hard disk and was second in erasing files just a little behind WD. Quick Bench 1.1 also confirmed that Samsung SP2504C read the fastest and has the fastest Random access time and Random access speed. Plus the level of noise is absolutely the lowest in Samsung model. And price is average.

Find some alternative sources of information in the net or computer magazines to see what model is best. If you find conformation that Samsung SP2504C is like I wrote, then buy its. The main problem is that company may have (example) good 160 GB or 200 GB model, but 250 GB or 320 GB model is not good.

I don’t know about warranty polices in UK, but in Serbia most retailers give 2 or 3 years of warranty on hard disks.

If you have money, my advice is the next: buy two hard disks! I have to admit that I don’t know is it possible that SATA disk use SATA II interface. I have to check this. If it is possible then you buy two hard disks:

1. WD 360GD Raptor (36 GB, SATA, 10 000 RPM – price in Serbia is around 110-130* euros and warranty is five years!)
    2. Samsung SP2504C (in Serbia price is aroun 90* euros and warranty is three year)

On WD Raptor install Windows XP (and don’t forget Vista when come – hardware killer OS) and only system and most common programs for use. For everything else use disk of 250 GB. You will see difference in speed.

* VAT is included

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor
    Thanks.

How do you know all this stuff?
    Don't ask how. One of the my best friend in my town is computer dealer (actually, firm is own by his father), so I have pieces of information from first hand. And his firm is also linked with greatest Serbian wholesalers and reatilers. And I read many computer magazines... And experience... And...
    Last edited by DukeofSerbia; 08-04-2006 at 10:55.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

MSI K9N Platinum, nForce 570 Ultra, DDR2 ,Socket-AM2,2xGbLAN,Firew, ATX, PCI-Ex16
    £82.00

NEC ND-4570A-GEN Ivory 16x16 DVD±RW/RAM Dual Layer DVD-Writer OEM UK
    £23.25

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED w/fan
    £125.01

Mitsumi Floppy + Card Reader Beige
    £12.56

XFX GeForce 7600GT XXX 256MB PCI-E DDR3 Dual DVI Mfr# PVT73GUDD3
    £137.42

Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
    £75.01

250GB Samsung SP2504C SATA 7200rpm 8MB cache HDD oem
    £41.99

Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB CL4, Kit w/two 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P Technology
    £192.00

Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 940BF TCO-99 Monitor, DVI-D, D-sub, 2ms
    £199.00

Fortron/Source Powersupply ATX 550W, Bulk, 120mm, SATA, 20+4pin, EPS12V
    £76.00

Total: £964.24

I just need some speakers and a different case and it is done.

Any other comments?
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 08-05-2006 at 10:40.

Total: £9642.24

I just need some speakers and a different case and it is done.

Any other comments?
    You put wrong price. The price is £964.24.

Case, power supply, sound card and speakers will check, but not today as I'm going to wedding for three hour, and I will not be at home until tomorrow morning.

And I will check if Raptor can be attached on SATA II interface. You check about this Samsung hard disk on the net. I will try to find friend to see what he think about this configuration.

I never heard for XFX manufacturer of GeForce graphics card. Check MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT or add cca 100 euros and buy 7900GT. I will check that too, does it worth.

Cheers.
    Watching

You put wrong price. The price is £964.24.
    Indeed.

Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT or add cca 100 euros and buy 7900GT. I will check that too, does it worth.
    Wait, I put the wrong graphics card on the list.

It should be:
    Gainward GeForce 7900GT 256MB,1,4ns DDR3 ,PCI-Express, "BP7900GT-256-GS-TV-DD"

Or

XFX GeForce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV, 470/1370Mhz

You check about this Samsung hard disk on the net.
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...roductID=12209
    According to that website it uses a serial SATA 2 interface.

Hello again.

May I ask you something? For what purpose you plan to use your new PC? This is important, because if you don’t know you will probably waste money on something you bought and you don’t use it.

Monitor:
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BF is excellent monitor for gaming (respond time 2ms, contrast 700:1, brightness 300cd/m2, resolution 1280*1024, DVI) and multimedia (video). But if you plan to use your computer for graphics and drawing, then you probably need some other monitor or model. I don’t say that 940BF is not good for that. The problem is you can’t pivot this model.

Sound card:
    If you want to buy quality speakers then you need to buy at least average sound card, as integrated sound cards are not good (you will waste the money as good speakers can’t sounds good if sound card is integrated and you probably know that). Even the cheapest Creative Live! Player will do job good (around 20-23 euros) or Audigy2 Player. If you have money then buys Audigy4 Player. I don’t know does Creative still have weak drivers. The main problem of Live! model was (and is) drivers. Several my friend have that card and they always had problems until they started to use alternative drivers. Maybe somebody else know good sound card from different manufacturer. I admit that I don’t know.

Speakers:
    You need home theater (5.1 is enough) or not (2.1)?

Case and power supply:
    From what I know, even 300W strong and quality power supply will be enough for your hardware. But, this is the low limit… You don’t need 550W as you will not buy SLI system. Quality power supply between 350 to 400W will be sufficient (never buy cheap Chinese power supply as they never had power as is on paper – on paper 400W, in reality 250W). The best power supplies are Antec and Enermax. Chieftec is good, too. I have Chieftec LBX-01-01 w-w-w 360W (this cost me 120 euros, but I didn’t have choice as power is problematic at my home). I wanted Antec, but it is almost impossible to buy it in Serbia (even when some company import them, they are sold almost immediately). Go on Antec web page and find appropriate case with power supply between 360W and 400W and then check if you can buy it. Prices for good quality case + power supply are from 90 euros.
    Watching

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...roductID=12209
    According to that website it uses a serial SATA 2 interface.
    I ment that you check is the true what I wrote about characteristics and performancies of this hard disk.
    Watching

May I ask you something? For what purpose you plan to use your new PC? This is important, because if you don’t know you will probably waste money on something you bought and you don’t use it.
    -Games.
    -Internet.
    -Software development programs (I should be doing a course at university called Computer Games Technology and I will need to do some work at home. Their website says I will be learning to use Java, C, C++, OpenGL, DirectX).

Speakers:
    You need home theater (5.1 is enough) or not (2.1)?
    No, I don't need a home theater.

I will look into the other things.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofSerbia
    If you have money, my advice is the next: buy two hard disks! I have to admit that I don’t know is it possible that SATA disk use SATA II interface. I have to check this. If it is possible then you buy two hard disks:
    Simple the difference between SATA and SATA II is internal. They both use the same SATA cables. But you can set a SATA II HDD to SATA 1 by jumpering the drive.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Amir of the office desk Member Cebei's Avatar

Dear DukeofSerbia,

I have a graphics card question. How many years can I use a 512MB nVidia® GeForceT 7900 GTX? I mean, do you think I will be able to play new games on low resolutions (at high frame rates) with that 3 years later? Or will it last longer? Shorter?
    When the game ends, peon and king go into the same box.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I know you didn't ask me, but ...

I'm still using a 4-year-old graphics card, the Radeon 9700 pro. I'm able to play all current games, even if I can't always do so with all the bells and whistles. But even a hardware-destroying monster like Oblivion plays, with tweaks, adequately.

I think the moral of the story is that if you get an un-gimped top-of-the-line card, you can easily expect three years from the beast. The only question mark will be DX10 ...
    Last edited by Lemur; 08-07-2006 at 17:35.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofSerbia
    Case and power supply:
    From what I know, even 300W strong and quality power supply will be enough for your hardware. But, this is the low limit… You don’t need 550W as you will not buy SLI system. Quality power supply between 350 to 400W will be sufficient (never buy cheap Chinese power supply as they never had power as is on paper – on paper 400W, in reality 250W). The best power supplies are Antec and Enermax. Chieftec is good, too. I have Chieftec LBX-01-01 w-w-w 360W (this cost me 120 euros, but I didn’t have choice as power is problematic at my home). I wanted Antec, but it is almost impossible to buy it in Serbia (even when some company import them, they are sold almost immediately). Go on Antec web page and find appropriate case with power supply between 360W and 400W and then check if you can buy it. Prices for good quality case + power supply are from 90 euros.
    Antec is definitely not on the same level as Enermax. They use low quality caps in the TP and SP lines. Brands like PC power, Seasonic, Enermax are definitely better.

If the power is dirty, a good psu isn't the answer. Get a line conditioner or a ups.

@orangat

I heard the same about Antec, but I wasn't sure. So, solution is Enermax.

@lars573

Thanks.

@Cebei

Are you kidding? This card is excellent. My point was that SLI or CF system is waste of money. I have Radeon 9800pro and is still good.

P.S.
    It seems that I will buy new computer.
    Last edited by DukeofSerbia; 08-07-2006 at 20:07.
    Watching

I found some reviews of the Samsung SP2504C:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/307/5
    http://www.mbreview.com/sp2504c-4.php
    http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h786.htm

They all say good things about, I will go with this hard drive.

OK then. You have hard drives.

Find Enermax power supply and some good case.

And your PC is finished. You said that you will not buy home theatre (5.1) then integrated sound card will do job good.
    Watching

There's and excellent overview of mid-range graphics cards posted recently at Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2812
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Its been a while, but I have chosen the components I what, except for a case.

What do you think of this (its the top one):
    http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/Asus_Vento.html

This is the list of components:
    MSI K9N Platinum, nForce 570 Ultra, DDR2 ,Socket-AM2,2xGbLAN,Firew, ATX, PCI-Ex16

NEC ND-4570A-GEN Ivory 16x16 DVD±RW/RAM Dual Layer DVD-Writer OEM UK

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED w/fan

Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Silver Floppy Drive Internal

Gainward GeForce 7900GT 256MB,1,4ns DDR3 ,PCI-Express, "BP7900GT-256-GS-TV-DD"

250GB Samsung SP2504C SATA 7200rpm 8MB cache HDD oem

Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB CL4, Kit w/two 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P Technology

Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 940BF TCO-99 Monitor, DVI-D, D-sub, 2ms

Enermax Liberty 500W Modular PSU
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 08-30-2006 at 16:26.

Thumbs up Re: Building my own computer...

Its been a while, but I have chosen the components I what, except for a case.

What do you think of this (its the top one):
    http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/Asus_Vento.html
    Not bad at all. I read about this case in computer magazine. It should be good if you like fancy look case.

Thermaltake has good cases. Their mid tower cases are good, but full tower are even better.
    Watching

Not bad at all. I read about this case in computer magazine. It should be good if you like fancy look case.
    It is not that fancy, well it is a bit fancy, but not too fancy. I think I will go with it.

So, the components are selected.

Thank You to everyone that helped me especially, the Duke of Serbia.

Default Monitor

If you can buy, buy the new model of Samsung Syncmaster - 931BF. Nobody know why Samsung named this model as 931BF (and not as 941BF) when this model is better than 940BF.
    http://www.samsung.com/nz/products/m.../tft/931bf.asp
    Last edited by DukeofSerbia; 09-01-2006 at 23:29.
    Watching

If you can buy, buy the new model of Samsung Syncmaster - 931BF. Nobody know why Samsung named this model as 931BF (and not as 941BF) when this model is better than 940BF.
    Its very expensive.

Thumbs up Intel Core 2 Duo

I have good advice: Why don’t you left AMD platform? It doesn’t worth. The new Core 2 Duo is the best solution without any doubts!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz) - $190
    ASUS PB5 Deluxe (Intel P965 Express) – 240$
    Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) – 216$

*prices are from newegg.com

With this combination you will easily overclock and reach 3 GHz with processor and 800MHz with memory. This combination is average 25% faster than the most expansive AMD-FX 62 (over $700).
    Last edited by DukeofSerbia; 09-06-2006 at 18:02.
    Watching

I will look into it, if it is not really expensive I will consider it.

Also, I live in Britain and the dollars are meanless to me.

Check this thread what I wrote: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=69099

I found something better than I suggested you several weeks ago because new hardware become accessible.
    Watching

I found something better than I suggested you several weeks ago because new hardware become accessible.
    I have already ordered everything. But thanks anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12