Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post Re: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Constantine waited before the gates of Mistra. He had ordered the road to be free by the carts and the citizens. He wanted a demonstration. The citizens of Mistra had to see that the age of glory had not passed for the Roman Empire. He wanted to let the heroes from the struggle against the Turks to be seen. It was true the lands that the Empire had lost was not reconquered but the invasion was stopped. And the citizens of Mistra needed somebody to learn from. Because tomorrow they may be of use to the Emperor. Because when the new governor of Morea arrived, they should be loyal to Constantinople. Constantine was not a fool. If anything could make the Empire strong, it was to end the separationism. He knew how the aristocracy thought: they wanted power and security today, they did not want to be ruled. They were ready to sacrifice the interests of the Empire to have their one day glory. It did not matter that they would die tomorrow poisoned by the Imperial agents, defeated by the armies of their Enemies. Or defeated by the armies of the Emperor. But nowadays the armies of the Emperor were not enough. The trade was in the foreign hands of the Italians. They were not enough because the aristocrats refused to fulfil their duties. The vicious circle was finished.

Constantine looked at the approaching soldiers. Alexius will come. He was one of these aristocrats. He remembered his childhood, his youth. He had something of his father but he looked like his grandfather. The same unscrupulous ambition and passion for power. But he would deal with him when the time came. Now Constantine thought of the second person, Theophil Branas. He was somehow more interesting this time. Unlike the case with Alexius they had never met each other. They had only heard of each other. Theophil Branas was relatively neutral and stayed away from the different factions. He tried to deserve the fame of fair judge who did not depend on anybody and anything except the Law. Constantine’s face was stiff but deep inside he smiled. Such an independence was chimera in this difficult times. You always depended on the benevolence of somebody. Nobody was as independent as he pretended to be.

But it was not the point. It was of greater importance which side the judge had chosen. Theophil Branas never liked Nicephorus because he blamed him on the death of his cousin. However Constantine knew Theophil was wise enough not to be ruled by his feelings. Or he had many reasons to think so. Anyway, the problem was somewhere else - he never liked him, Constantine. He hated him. And in this very critical moment he did not want to have more enemies than he needed. He had to be careful. First, he had to confirm his supposals. Then to act.

Three riders separated from the small army and headed towards Constantine. The one with the plumes was definitely high-ranked. Constantine was sure it was Theophil. It could not be somebody else – he was told Alexius was not in expensive armour; if there was somebody in higher position in this army Constantine would now. It was Theophil. Constantine was almost sure Alexius was in this small group. The third was an officer from the army, probably the commander of the army. Constantine jerked on the reins of his horse towards them. He made sign to his guards to stay away.

‘ Welcome to Mistra, Kirr Theophil, ‘ Constantine scutinized him. He should admit Theophil resembled to Dyogenes to a very little extend. His beard was longer, his sight piercing and ready to see any detail. Constantine liked it. It was a good challenge and probably the virtues of the judge could be useful later. Harmful, too.

‘ Thank you, Kirr Constantine. I have to mention these lands are the richest I have ever seen in the Empire. My friend Alexius Doukas told me but I did not believe him. I beg to be excused’

He nodded and rose his head once again ‘ No, Kirr Theophil. You overestimate me. Nicephorus was the one who did it. I just helped him.’ Theophil pretended to be impressed by the deeds of Constantine. Constantine had pretended to be
    modest and to reject what he had done. They both were cheating each other and nobody paid attention to what the other said. These were pompous phrases without meaning. It was an old tradition of the Romans to use such a formal phrases. These had to prepare the serious conversation and to calm down the sides. They were given time for orientation in the situation, time to calm down their feelings and to think more carefully. Of course both Constantine and Theophil were not the sort of people that would let be ruled by their emotions. But it was the origin of this old ritual. Actually it was one of the reasons for the success of the Roman diplomacy.

‘ I feel grief for such a noble man like Nicephorus. My friend Alexius and I were shocked when I heard about it. ’

Constantine looked at Alexius was on the Theophil’s right. The boy had changed. It was a real man. Unlike the case with Manuel he had a natural tendency of being master of the sword but also to learn the feats of his father’s craft. Probably he had developed his strong will, had become more discipline, less emotional, more sensible… in a word more dangerous. Constantine lowered his head,

‘ Your father was a great man, Alexius. All the Morea will suffer for him. ‘

‘ Thank you, Kirr Constantine. I will miss him. I will never repay my debts to him. But I hope the fact I will follow his will is to make him happy in his safe place in the Paradise’

‘ Yes, the Empire lost one great politician and rare kind of person. ‘ Constantine made a short pause, ‘Be guests of Mistra! Follow me please’. He turned his horse's head to the Palace of the Despots. His guests were riding next to him continuing their conversation. Finally the topic of the grief of Nicephorus was exhausted and they moved on other more sincere problems.

‘ I heard Manuel has also been attacked. Is he well?’ Theophil started. Constantine would have preferred another thing to discuss but it was inevitable. Theophil was a judge and was interested in the fate of the suspected and this of the Doukas family. In addition what happened to Manuel was something his brother should be concerned. Probably he was but in a very different way from what the moral expected.

‘ He is. He is still shocked by what happened but he is conscious and out of danger. ‘

‘ Constantine, I realize you are very connected with this family and you also suffer for Manuel. That is the reason I want to be excused for my delicate question. ‘ Theophil made uneasy pause.’ Does he know his delicate position?’

‘ Yes, he does. But Kirr Theophil, he is extremely vulnerable at this particular moment. He had suffered the death of his father and an attempt for his murder.’

‘ Why did anybody not do anything to prevent the accident with my brother, Kirr Constantine?’

‘ Kirr Alexius, your brother is sometimes … absolutely irresponsible. He tried to cheat his guards. It’s absolutely childish and immature. I do wonder how he could do it.’

‘ But he did it, Kirr Constantine,’ Theophil said. Constantine looked at the citizens. Most of them were poor and were experiencing a deep grief for their late master. Nicephorus was the ruler of Mistra, the Emperor was too far away. And the people needed hope. Constantine saw a father pointing at him, Constantine, telling something to his small son. The crowd was staring at him observing any movement of him. He was popular and this could be used - Suddenly the voice of Theophil interrupted his thoughts. ‘ Are you sure he had not thought of meeting somebody – ‘

‘ No, I know Manuel well.’ He looked at the judge as to show he was telling the truth, ‘ He will never kill his father contrary to what many people think. It is true they had problems, big problems but it’s nothing more than the problems between father and son. ‘

The people continued to be silent. And yet Constantine continued to feel their sympathies to him, the bastard and one of them who managed to climb his way to the top. But this time he heard the name of Alexius. It was inevitable he thought, the name of the Ducas was still popular here and probably ever will be. But deep in mind he smiled – he, the bastard, abandoned by his father, had received his recognition and had received his recognition. And what was more important this showed him popular before Theophil and it could be used in the later stages of their relations. And yet Constantine knew: everything was in the hands of Emperor Andronicus the Second or actually in the hands of his advisors. They would determine the new governor of Morea and consequently the pace of what would happen next.

It was time some attention to be paid to the son of Nicephorus. The truth had to be hidden under the layer of etiquette and the politeness. Once again.
    ‘ You are well welcomed in Mistra, Kirr Alexius. ‘ Constantine added. ‘ You are our hero. I am sorry your father was not here to see his that his favourite son had become a real man ready for his responsibilities, ‘ the voice of Constantine sounded absolutely serious giving the proper respect to the son of his master. But deep in his mind he was mocking him. He knew how Alexius thought, he knew his secret desires. And he knew he was somehow out of place in his homeland. Just like his father Nicephorus. Here he was in the world of him, the loyal servant of the Doukas and the man who knew their secrets… So the boy wanted glory but was he really ready to face it?

‘ You overestimate me, Constantine. My popularity is nothing but a result of my father’s deeds . ‘ Alexius skillfully fought back. It was true but only in half, they welcomed the son of the leader they had lost not the one they had. He had taken the sense of his father. He was a real son of him. Deep inside Constantine felt pleasure. He knew. Alexius was clever but he would do a mistake. If not this time then tomorrow. The patience is virtue Constantine had.

Slowly but surely they moved along the streets of Mistra passing by the inquisitive crowds . Finally the small army reached the citadel. The others, the mercenaries had already been placed in the outer city. Actually they never entered in the city. Only the Greek soldiers entered. Constantine would never risk with the mercenaries. He knew their temper. Because Lucas, his mentor, the men who had saved him from the misery, was a gasmul- half-Greek, half-Italian.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Romanus Philantropenus also observed the arrival of the son of Nicephorus. He was also surprised in an unpleasant way by the presence of Theophil Branas or at least pretended to be. Then he disappeared from the window of the tower. Constantine got off his horse and asked his guests to follow him to their rooms. They needed a rest, he had told them...

Both of them refused because both of them wanted to see Manuel. But of course Manuel needed a rest and Constantine was responsible for his safety. They felt uneasy but were forced to agree. And once again they showed desire to visit strange places – they wanted to see the corpse of Nicephorus. It seemed, Constantine thought, they did not believe the despot was dead. He had survived three obvious attempt of assassination and several others that were never learnt by the others.

During their way to the basement where the remnants of Nicephorus was kept nothing interesting happened. The same blank and useless comments. Once again they expressed their fake grief for the dead and many non-truths of this sort. Finally they were in the basement.

Suddenly they saw a familiar figure – Kosmas was kneeling praying for the soul of the dead. Hearing the sound of the coming people he stood up and turned back. He recognized Alexius and exclaimed,

‘ Alexius, you are here. ‘ Then they hugged in a way typical for friends and allies and Kosmas added, ‘ I am so sorry for your father. He was a great man and did not deserved it. He had to see you first and to feel proud of his son. ‘ Kosmas was talking to Alexius sharing his thoughts with him. Poor Kosmas! He never learned to play a game and to stop seeing only the good of the people. It was true this helped him to be the only really neutral person in the court but… nothing more. No, he was not naïve but just refused to face the truth. The people were jealous, made of vices, often stupid, ruled by their passions. And yet he never stopped believe in them. On the other hand sometimes Constantine did envy him…

Soon after Alexius approached the corpse of his father. He also touched his cold mask as to calm it. Constantine wondered whether he would remove it to see the real face of his father. Whether he would be brave enough to do it. But he did not. He said something supposed to be a prayed and made the sign of the cross. Then he left the basement in a sudden manner. A smile was ready to appear on the face of Constantine but he stopped it. And they were free of Alexius and would be ready to start an interesting, more sincere conversation. Somehow commenting the cause of the death before the son hinted bad manners…

Theophil closed the door behind. It was a matter of time the conversation to be started. And as Constantine expected Theophil did it,

‘ Kosmas, Alexius has gone so I see no reason to delay this topic. Constantine told me the funeral would be done tomorrow or the day after at latest. The corpse will start rotting soon.’ Theophil looked at Constantine and the steward nodded. Theophil continued then, ‘ I learnt you had investigated the reason for the death of the despot.’

‘ Kirr Theophil, I would like to ask you to come close to the dead. Kirr Constantine may also come.’

Theophil followed by Constantine went to the physician. Then Theophil said to Kosmas, ‘ Kosmas, let’s put the formal language aside. We are alone and I think Constantine will not mind’

‘ Good idea, Theophil,’ Constantine agreed. Kosmas removed the mask from the face of Nicephorus.

‘ You can see that his face was stiff in a moment of a great agony, ‘ Kosmas started. His death was not fast. Probably he did not feel anything because he was sleeping and as far as I know he used some herbs to sleep better. When he woke up it was too early even to scream. The poison had paralyzed his muscles and slowly but surely his breathing. But there is more. At the end of his agony a foam had started coming out of his mouth this is for sure. But this was not so plain poison. It made his old wounds bleed and had started destroying his flesh from inside. His nostrils had also started to bleed the same is for his ears. And what is worse the despot was conscious until the very end.’ Kosmas stopped. More description of the agony was useless. It seemed Kosmas made a short pause and continued. ‘ I tried to find out what was the poison that was used but it was almost impossible. What is for sure that snake poison is used. This snake is not from the Balkans, not even from Minor Asia. As far as I remember this snake is from Mesopotamia or Persia.’ No, it was a viper from Egypt. Constantine liked reading books on this topic. In a book of a Spanish monk that was for sure copy of earlier Arabian book, he had met an excellent description of how this poison killed. However Kosmas did not realize his mistake and continued, ‘ But I am absolutely sure unknown combination of herbs and minerals are also added. I believe that this poison is also lethal when consumed with the food. It’s one of the best mixture I have ever met. I think we will never learn them and probably it’s for good. ‘

‘ Kosmas, most of the poisons are bitter in taste. I think this excludes consuming with the food,’ Theophil added.

‘ Most probably this poison could also be tasted but in case the tea Nicephorus drank to be also a bitter one. Am I right Constantine?’

‘ Yes, you are, Kosmas, ’ Constantine looked at his interlocutors, ‘ But you forget that the poison should be put in the tea. And Nicephorus and I have done everything to prevent it. Yet everything is possible and I arrested several people in the kitchen in order to investigate whether his food and drinks were poisoned. ‘

Theophil was deep in thoughts as he had weighing every word of Constantine. Suddenly he interfered in the conversation but his voice hinted his mind was concentrated on more important things than sharing his thoughts, ‘ And everything works against the late physician of Nicephorus. I have no idea why he need to poison his master. ‘ Theophil was staring at the leprous face of the dead as to find out the answer.

‘ You are very right, Theophil. John was paid well, even too well and would be the main suspect in case of the Nicephorus’ death.’

‘ It seems he was planned to become the scapegoat. Somebody had tried to hide his crime.’

Constantine was also reflecting on the situation. Actually they were talking about things that could be realized even by a mediocre judge. But it was later when the real master of investigation would be proved. Constantine relied on this but he also… feared. Constantine continued his plan and agreed,

‘ Once again you are right, Theophil. Nicephorus has many enemies and many people want his death. I think the problem is not ‘who’ but how. And who is the man who have the ability to kill him. ‘

‘ Constantine, do you think Manuel could have committed parricide?’

‘ No, he is not a murderer. I know him well. The murderer should be someone else. ’

‘ Good. The time will tell. Talking about Manuel what did you find about the accident before the inn, Constantine?’

‘ I am in a process of investigation. The drunkard was well-known in the inn but as far as I know he did not know Manuel. No motives, nothing. But I won’t be surprised if a clumsy attempt of assassination was done.’

‘Constantine – ‘ the judge started but hesitated for a moment. It seemed a sudden idea came into his mind, ‘I would like to speak with you later on the topic. But let’s go back to the Nicephorus’ physician, ‘ Theophil emphasized on his words,’ Who killed him?’

Constantine saw the face of Kosmas, who was silent during the conversation, getting blank. Probably he remembered the horrible death of his colleague. Then he answered to the Theophil’s question,

‘ One of the Nicephorus’ guards, Theophil. It was George, the commander. ‘ And the silence fell in this room ruled by the death. The judge was reflecting on his plans. Kosmas was just observing and said nothing. The intrigue was started, Constantine thought. And there was no way back.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This time I have no comments. The comments are left to the readers.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 01-21-2007 at 00:16.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Good, it appears the plot is rolling again. The latest episode is intriguing, although I do think you are being somewhat too obvious: you spend too much time explaining your characters actions. In most cases, a hint would be more enough. Otherwise, good job.

Happy Birthday, Stephen!
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Thanks, Ludens. I beg to be excused the next up-date is going to come later on when my exams are over . Well, I have some ideas what the next part would be but I'll keep it in a secret so far
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Editing

I could not bear the old ahistorical background anymore. It was replaced (not that the new is so historically accurate but it fits to my plot better). I also deleted the map being out of the story context. I'll post the new one as soon as possible.

The changes are only in the first part of the Prologue. Not that I've changed so many things. The scene is more or less the same but it's more accurate from historical point of view.

The bulk of the promised editing is done. And it'll be stopped for a while since... I have started the next scene.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Theophil Branas had left the basement and had passed through the silent corridors of the Palace. The day was sunny and hot, typical for the Mediterranean at this time of the year. The air was full with aroma of the different summer herbs and flowers and he could hear the songs of the birds outside. But his mind was busy with more important things than the beauty of the nature. Despot Nicephorus Doukas was dead, killed and he had to find the murderer. It was true he never liked this snake but it was his duty... Great people like Nicephorus never died without a reason and most of the cases the death of these people meant radical changes in the political life of the Empire. The family of the Palaelogus was constantly shattered of conflicts first between the Co-emperor Michael the Ninth and his father the Emperor, then between the Latin wife of the Emperor and his second wife Irene, and the behaviour of the Andronicus' grandson also hinted a conflict with the temper of his grandfather. The Palaelogus family was both stable and accepted by its subjects but at the same time the intrigues and the conflicts in it flourished more than ever in the Roman history. And the society was no better - the magnates versus the minor nobility, the Italian merchants versus the local craftsmen, the magnates versus the strict policy of the Emperor... And the Enemies were lurking - Turks, Serbs, Bulgarians... Morea was the last island of security in one exhausted Empire and an excellent place for somebody who wanted to hide form the eyes of his Enemies in the court and at the same time to rule his spynetwork using his independence from the Imperial government.

Theophil Branas reached the door of the George's room. And here was the next puzzle, Theophil thought, George... But he could not finish his thought because the door opened but Theophil could not move on time and the door hit his palm and he heard a low cry a result of the surprise and the little pain he felt. But in the same moment he realised it was not him who produce it but the man who had opened the door. He met his brown eyes that expressed both fear and surprise. Theophil expected the fear to be smoothed with the progress of the time but just the opposite happened. The other man became more nervous despite his efforts to hide this. The eyes betrayed him.

' Excuse me, Kirr Branas,' the unknown started, ' I did not want to hurt you. I'm sorry.' The man stared at his palm that had started bleeding. It was not something serious but the unknown had become so pale that Theophil thought he was going to faint. In order to calm down the unknown Theophil said, 'There is no problem. I'll survive, ' he joked. ' I see you know my name. Probably I have met you before but I can not remember very well - '

' My name is Romanus Philantropenus, Kirr Branas. Actually this is our first meeting. '

' I see you're well informed what's happening here, Kirr Philantropenus,' Theophil added with a little irony. ' I need people like you, Kirr Philantropenus. Because for me the death of Nicephorus is areal mystery.'

' I will do my best to help you, Kirr Branas. Kirr Branas, I have to leave you now. I am late and a friend of mine is waiting.' His voice was trembling, his face was pale, his fear bigger than ever.

' See you later, Kirr Philantropenus.' His irony was badly hidden but fortunately Romanus did not hear him. Theophil realized he had lost his nerves. This was weakness he could not afford now. He cursed in his mind and opened the door.

George was sitting on the bed, bending his back on the cushion between his body and the wall. The man was young in his mid twenties, his body was strong and his face was quite charmful. However the symptoms of food poisoning were also well-visible. His face expressed illness, his hands rested helplessly on the white blankets. Theophil heard the voice of the guard showing his currrent weakness but also his deterrence to fight it.

' Welcome, Kirr Branas. The gossip had been spreaded fast, by the way, something that is quite extraordinary for this palace.'

' Thank you, George. I see I'm quite popular here. I also see you are not in the condition to be asked many questions. However my time here is limited and I have to find those who killed Nicephorus fast - '

' I see what you mean, Kirr Branas. No, do not feel uneasy and take a seat, please. I see you do not believe that this fool Manuel Doukas is capable of killing somebody.'

' I appreciate your assisstance, George. ' Theophil sat on the single stool in the room and continued ' Unfortunately, I have not met Manuel, but you are right: I do not think he is the murderer. But I do not exclude this as well. Everyone can be the murderer... Do you have any idea who is the murderer, George? '

' Nicephorus had many enemies and rivals. Anyone of them can be the murderer. '

' Do not lie me, George. I have been for long time here and know many things the others do not. What you tell me will be a secret between you and me.'

George's eyes glimpsed in a very strange way as to warn the judge, ' And this walls, Kirr Branas. I do not trust them and especially those who can speak with them.'

' Yet you have to speak. And do not tell me you have eaten rotten food that put you in this situation.'

George laughed, ' Believe me or not I did eat rotten food. It tasted well and I did not have a slightest idea I am to become sick of it. '

' What did you eat?'

' Beef. I went to the kitchen in order to get my food but I was not lucky. Things like this happen from time to time. For example I know at least ten servants that are too insignificant to be killed also had the same problem.'

' And yet you also have enemies, George. Especially in a snake nest like this.'

Geroge smiled ironically, ' Nest of snakes - I see you got to the best definition for this place. You're right this place is full with snakes. Have a look on the basement of the Palace and you'll realize what how right are you. Right, I've never been friendly with this 'reptile' as Anna used to call him, called Constantine Matsakes. '

It seemed the mask had been broken. But Theophil continued to be concentrated weighing any word of George. Because nobody here was as innocent as he pretended to be. ' You mean the steward - '

' Steward. This is only his official title. He is more than this - This man managed to make himself a master of this place and this in front of the master Nicephorus who was too tired to oppose. I wonder when this snake will receive what he deserves. '

' Interesting. Your conflict seems to have a long history. When did it start?'

' From the moment I became a guard of the despot. I knew Constantine well enough to be on high alert. And Constantine realized he could not manipulate me. This is all '

' When did you become Nicephorus guard?'

George smiled, ' Five years ago, Kirr Branas. Then I was too young : not having twenty years I thought the service to Nicephorus will open many doors before me... but I was so wrong. '

Theophil thought of his next question planning to move back on Constantine but George was faster and broke the short pause in their 'friendly ' conversation.

' Kirr Branas, what I told you about Constantine is true and it's a common opinion between the people who know him well. Yet I'll not hide he's a capable administrator, actually one of the best in the Empire. And latest but not last he did his best to make Mistra what it is now.' Now it was Theophil that smiled but in his mind. He caught the irony of the bodyguard: he meant not only the succedd of making Mistra a seemingly peaceful place but making it a nest of intrigues as well. Once again he and George shared the same point of view... Either both of them while being on this cursed place... or the guard only said what he was sure the judge knew.

Suddenly George stopped. He had realized the judge was reflecting on his words but most probably concluded that he did not listen to him anymore.

' Are you well, Kirr Branas?' George once again demonstrated his sympathy to the judge. Theophil met George's foxy eyes and answered with the same delicate care he was receiving,

' I am, George. I've just realized how right are you,' Theophil fighted the smile that desperately wanted to appear on his lips and stayed serious. And as to please his talkative interlocutor he added, ' So do not worry about old man like me, George. Go on, please.' Finally the smile of Theophil was brought to live only to die few moments later.

' Kirr Branas, I came in Mistra five years ago so most of my information was heard from people that served to the Doukas family at the time they were in Constantinople. And as it happens, some of the truth might be lost... And yet, ' the eyes of George glimpsed, ' Some time ago I heard an interesting story about the rise of Constantine. He was born in Constantinople during the celebrations of the city. However his mother, a poor whore died soon after. He was bred by her relatives in a extreme poverty but the bastard got the luck. One of the trusted servants of the Nicephorus' father Alexius spotted him and brought him before Alexius. Then the Nicephorus' father approved the boy and gave him to be educated and to be learned to fight with a sword. Then, twenty four years ago he saved the niece of Emperor Andronicus and a financee of Nicephorus Anna Angelina from bandit attack. And then the Doukas family made the fatal mistake to make Constantine their trusted man. But unforunately Kirr Branas this is all I managed to learn. ' George stopped in the same rapid manner he started. And yet Theophil expected it.

' This is an interesting story and I hope it will help me in the future. But I see you are a clever man and you are aware of the fact my professional interest for Constantine is not the single reason for our meeting... I wonder, George what was your attitude to Manuel, the son of Nicephorus and to George the physician. '

George himself comfortable on the bed. Then he continued to speak with a tone that suited his words. his eyes were surprisingly neutral this time and almost full with pity for the victims.

' Manuel Doukas... The poor boy never learned how to ease his father... And the conflicts between them became inevitable. I think Nicephorus thought of him as his greatest failure, though I think he had no participation in his education. Somebody told me some time ago there was a time Manuel was the favourite son of Nicephorus.And probably one day Nicephorus realized thathis son will be a man without a purpose in his life, a man doing nothing but attending brothels and inns... Sad story... Probably this was the fate of Manuel, it was the will of our Lord. Fortunately, Alexius proved to be better but... Kirr Branas, he is one of the Doukas,' George's eyes got their foxy glimpse once again. And then only a moment later, they were surpisingly inexpressive. ' As far as John is concerned, Kirr Branas, I really do not believe in his fault. He was too loyal, too right-minded to do something wrong. I did not believe in his guilt but he was stupid enough to make that desperate attempt to fight that costed his life. And I had no other choice but to kill him, Kirr Branas. By the way, Kirr Branas, do you know what happened to the poor soldier John hit?'

' He is still suffering with monks praying for his soul. I am afraid there si nothing else to be done. Unfortunately.'

' Poor man,' George tightened the ends of his lips.

There was nothing else to be said.

After some insignificant final words Theohpil left the room and closed the door behind. Now he had to get the third piece of the puzzle. Manuel. While going down the stairs he saw once again the guards literally situated on every corner.He remembered something he was told on his departure from Thesalonica and smiled. But only in his mind because he had to be strict suitable for the missions he had here- the one he was sent and the other he got on his arrival in Pelloponesus. And at the moment he went out of the dark corridors of the Palace and step on the ground of the yard he was almost surpised by what he saw there.

So much dust on this story... Definately not good for my lungs... But the new update is published, I'm back, I've survived my exams and the story is progressing.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 04-06-2007 at 16:29.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Very good . I am glad the plot's rolling again. Also, it seems my main critique on this story has been addressed. There is very little explanation, apart from the dialogue .

Blog Entries

He saw two snakes that were about to spit at each other's eyes. The one of them clad in black tunics, with shoulderlength brown hair that had started to become white, wellformed short beard and moustaches. The second one was clad in expensive but light armour that demonstated his status. He was a man in his thirties, with strong body and black hair and moustaches. Demetrius Raoul was a member of the family of the Raouls that had been founded two centuries ago by Norman mercenary who gained glory with his loyal service to the Emperor and skilful usage of the sword. As the time progressed the family almost fully lost its Norman character and became more and more Roman. But it took not only the virtues of the Roman people but their vices that seemed to fit perfectly with the cunning nature of the Norman people. Demetrius was a real Raoul.

At this moment Demetrius looked at him and as he ignored his previous interlocutor Constantine, he moved towards Theophil.

' Kirr Branas, what a pleasant surprise!' Demetrius said with large and poisonous smile. They hugged as good friends. ' Kirr Branas, we all miss your presence at the court. I do hope you are not too preoccupied while working in Thesalonica.'

' Kirr Raoul, I am well and I am flattered by what you told me. And talking about the court do you know how is our Emperor Andronicus the Second?'

' The Emperor have excellent health for his years and I will not be surpsised if he rules in glory several decades more. But I am sure he will be distraught when he heards about the death of Despot Nicephorus. I was shocked myself when I heard about the dath of the despot. It was true I never liked him as person but he was excellent politician and the Empire needs people like him. I do hope his sons will surpass him... Kirr Branas, you do not think Manuel Doukas is capable of commiting a crime, don't you? I know the boy... True, not the perfect son but... a murderer. It's hard to believe.'

' Kirr Raoul, you are aware of the fact I can not claim publicly something that is not proved. And yet I think it's very early to point Manuel as the murderer.'

' Kirr Branas, isn't it an irony? Nicephorus always lived with his secrets and left them even now after his death... You have a difficult task, I believe. But I also believe in you...'

' Thank you for the trust, Kirr Raoul.'

Difficult task indeed... It was one of the most difficult cases he had ever faced in his practice. First, he was no longer the judge Branas but an investigator who had to find out the truth and to collect the logical and the material eveidence. And finally to bring it to the Imperial court. Second, here he had to use all his experience and patience to reveal the truth and to survive in this nest of snakes. And third, he had to forgot about his late cousin who had become a victim of the Doukas family. And he must not make mistakes but bring it to the best possible end. Because human fates were entagled in this puzzle and and too many human beings had suffered so far. Too many... Last night he dreamed his last meeting with Dyogenes. Once again. And once again he suffered his desperate attempts to save his cousin's soul and to save him from the lethal passion he felt for Nicephorus. He tried to open his eyes and to tell him he was misguided by the man he followed or to say it better - loved. In vain... Only three days later Dyogenes died in an accident: his body was found on the sea coast. They told him he fell from the cliffs while riding... Since then he felt the presence of his ghost around him and during every storm he heard him lamenting his tragic end...

And just like a shadow of the past Constantine approached them. Demetrius glimpsed him and said in loud enough to be heard by the steward.

' Now I beg to be excused, Kirr Branas. I suggest that we continue our conversation later in better company and in other circumstances.'

Demetrius Raoul walked away without even looking Constantine. The latter did nothing but kept his inexpressive mask on his face. Finally, when he met the eyes of the judge he said, ' Kirr Branas, I do hope Kirr Demetrius Raoul finds some time for rest since... Constantine smiled ironically ' ... it is obvious the long trip was too tiring even for a strong man like him. However Kirr Branas, I am sorry that I could not pay the proper attention to you as guest of Mistra. '

' Kirr Constantine, I am aware of the fact you have to prepare the funeral of despot Nicephorus, may he rest in peace... So you have no reason to worry about me. The only thing I need, Kirr Constantine, is to see Manuel Doukas. '

' As I said, Kirr Branas, Manuel is still too weak for long conversation. However, although I was against it regarding his weakness, Kirr Manuel Doukas agreed to meet you. I will add one condition - the conversation should not last for long.'

' As you wish, Kirr Constantine. I accept this for I realize the delicate position of Manuel.'

' Very good, Kirr Branas.' Constantine removed the ring from his right hand and gave it to the judge. ' Here is the ring and the guards will recongize it. I have warned them you are to go there. But there is one last important thing you have to know, Kirr Branas. '
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manuel Doukas was not alone. Alexius was sitting on the single stool in the room and it seemed he had been having a friendly conversation with his brother. The brothers were so different. Alexius was a spitting image of his father while Manuel seemed to have nothing of Nicephorus at least when compared to his brother. The sight of Alexius was threatening and with a piercing power while one close look at those of Manuel revealed defiance but a little confusion. In addition the bandage on his head made him look more helpless though his strong body and the passion for life expressed from his eyes softened this effect.

Theophil welcomed the brothers and asked for an excuse as the etiquette prescribed.

' There is no problem, Kirr Branas,' Alexius replied. ' My brother and I have nothing to hide just on the opposite, Kirr Branas. This false rumours about my brother's guilt shame our family and the memory of my father-'

' Thank you, brother, but there is no need to interfere.' Manuel rose from the cushions he was lying on. His voice hinted his exhaustion and helplessness but it showed Manuel's determination and will to defend himself. ' It was me that was accused of murder and it must be me that will discard this lie. I appreciate your help, brother, but this conversation is between Kirr Branas and me. Please leave us, brother.'

' As you wish, Manuel.' Then he said to Theophil,' And yet,Kirr Branas, be careful with him.'

' My health is excellent, Alexius. I am strong enough to cope with the situation, Alexius. Leave us, please.'

' As you wish, brother. Kirr Branas, it seems I am completely useless here. I have to go.'

' See you later, Kirr Doukas.'

Alexius headed for the door and went out without producing a single noise. in the following moment Manuel and Theophil were the only people in the solar.

' Take a seat, Kirr Branas. it seems we are going to have a long conversation.'

' Thank you, Kirr Doukas.'

' Just Manuel, Kirr Branas,' Manuel told him. ' I suppose we will meet each other very often so the formalities are not required.' But Manuel still stayed resreved and even hostile to Theophil. Theophil also made a similar step but it was more or less a matter of politeness. Theophil had no illusions they will become very close to Manuel.

' Then call me just Theophil, Manuel'

However except for his distrust Manuel was a son of his mother. And especially in the eyes... It was twenty five years ago when Theophil saw her in the Imperial court. She was a flower, he thought then. He secretely dreamed to spend the rest of his life with this divine creature, though he had already been married to his now late wife, may she rest in peace. And he was ready to water this flower with all the love she needed to his own exhaustion. And he wondered whether she would be well in the family of the Doukas. months later he blamed on himself he was jelaous of a woman that had given her prisitine soul to somebody else. That his opinion was too subjective. For then, the moment he was her for the first time she had already fallen in love with Nicephorus Doukas...

' Kirr Theophil Branas, before going any further I think you have to know something important about me. I have lost some fo my memory and I can not remember many of the things you would like to know. Especially when these are events from the last three months.'

' Constantine warned me about it, Manuel,' Theophil confirmed. ' I hope your memory will be back soon and your nightmare will end. '

' Thank you, Kirr Branas,'

' Since we will have to start from somewhere, I think it will be better to start from your father and your family'

' Kirr Branas, my father was very strange person. He was extremely reserved to everyone of us- from me to my brother Alexius. And especially from the time I got to the age of twelve. He wanted me to become like him but I could not. We were too different. And one day it became unbearable for me. Then everything collapsed and heis hopes went to my poor brother Alexius, which grew up as a boy with many complexes. Fortunately, it seems the army has make him better. But I think I have said enough for my father: probably I said too much. After all, Kirr Branas, he is dead and it is not good to say bad things for the dead so -'

' Kirr Manuel, your father like any other man had his vices and virtues. You have no reason to hide the truth because this will help us to find the truth for your father's death. Go on, Kirr Manuel'

' He was a tyrant, Kirr Branas. It did not matter he was a great politician but he suppressed the whole family - from my brother to my mother. In front of the others he showed as a tolerant father but in private he showed no mercy. He rarely used violent power but his piercing look and threatening voice was enough to make your flesh crawl. He was built of ambition and created to rule. And yet he was my father. I did not want him dead.'

' What about the other members of your family?'

' My brother is a queer bird. He was communicative child but he liked to be alone and sometimes, I suspected years ago, to do everything to make me angry. As the time progreseed our conflicts got more and more serious but one day he joined the army. I think it was his way to get out of this hell. And it seems he had made the right decision since the army has made him better. The role of my sister Eudokia was to smooth the conflicts between us but one day she could no longer bear the yoke of my father and left the family marrying to Basil Apoukaukus.. She was a fantastic person and I miss her a lot. And finally my mother... Kirr Theophil, she was the most devouted to her children woman on this world. And she was one of the few whom Nicephorus trusted. She was the only one in this family that stayed out of its conflicts ... She was an angel, Kirr Theophil, a real angel, and if she had the chance to live longer, I am sure the Doukas family would not have fallen apart. '

' Have you ever blamed on your father for her death?'

Theophil read a sudden hostility in the eyes of Manuel.

' I did. Once... But he stayed my father, though I did not feel much sympathy for him. And I did not really believe he did it. After all he loved her, Kirr Branas. And she loved him, too. '

' Good, Kirr Manuel. And probably there is one more thing to put it in the puzzle - Constantine.'

' Constantine was my mentor. To some extend I felt him like my father. He learned me to fight with a sword, to ride a horse and even to some Italian and French. And he seems to be reliable. But from my father I learnt one lesson: never trust too much to anybody. I am not a strict follower of his rule... but it became one of my principles...'

' You said you are not a strict follower... What do you mean?'

' Nothing... I meant I am not as paranoid as my father was may he rest in piece...'

' Thank you, Kirr Manuel. This is enough so far. What you need now is a rest. ' Theophil said and stood up. It was not only Manuel that needed to stay alone, but he, the investigator needed it as well. he went out of the solar clodsing the door behind. Then he passed the guards and went down the stairs.

Thanks, Ludens. Your note makes me happy(but I am far from thinking everything is OK). The good news - I've started the next chapter.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

IV.The Feast

She was before the gates of the family house of the Doukas. The place was given to the Nicephorus' father by the Emperor Michael the Eighth as a reward to his loyal service. Alexius the Elder had spent a little fortune to make the place suitable for his son Nicephorus who had to receive his father's lands in Morea. But Manuel, the brother of Nicephorus, died in an accident and everything was left to Nicephorus. And Nicephorus distinguished himself under the reign of Andronicus the Second and staid in the capital. After he became a leper better times came for the house. Actually, it was not exactly a house but a small castle in the middle of the city. She had entered here several time when invited by Manuel. And all of their meeting sended in the same passionate way... These memories were so esteemed but mow they made her feel even worse.

' Who is there?' The small window on the gate opened and she saw two evil eyes.

' I am Kirra Helena Theodorina'

The gate opened and she enetered with her two guards and her two maids one of whom was Maria. Her guards stayed in the yard of the house but she continued followed by her maids. The three women entered in lavishly decorated hall and went further on passing the hall in order to reach the stairs leading to the second floor. Maria was taken aback by the mosaic and by the huge floor. Helena smiled in her mind - she resembled her when she came here for the first time but hher smile suddenly disappeared because she had a mission here. Just before the stairs Maria and the other maid stopped and Helena had to continue alone accompanid by two unknown people: the first one was a soldier but the second the Alexius' steward. The Alexius' steward was an old men in his fifties and had quite foxy image. It seemed the guard was one of the people who accompanied Alexius on their first meeting...

Slowly but surely moving with a grace of an ancient godess Helena climbed up the stairs and then followed the limping steward to a small door guarded by two guards. Then the steward entered and closed the door after himself. But very soon the door opened and the steward appeared.

' You may enter, Kirra Helena,' the steward said.

And there was Alexius. He looked very different from earlier this day. The armour was replaced by black silk tunics, the helmet was removed and she could see his black hair whose neds were tied in a short queue. His vigour of purpose had almost disappeared but was replaced by a psecific uncertainty and even nervousness. And yet there was something attractive in his current weakness and the mystery hidden in his black eyes...

' Kirra Helena, I am happy you came to this meeting' The long table was overburdened by delicious meals and she could feel their delicious smell in the solar. But the ten chairs on the long table were empty. ' I invited several other people but they were too busy and declined in the last possible moment. Anyway, please sit, Kirra Helena.'

' Thank you, Kirr Alexius'

Helena sat on the chair situated in the one end of the table but Alexius to the chair next to him that was in the other end.

' I do hope my cook has coped with the task,' Alexius smiled.

' We will see, Kirr Alexius,' Helena joked. And she tasted the piece of the meal that was put in her dish. The lamb was perfect probably the best she would ever taste. There was some unknown spices, probably those that came form distant and unknown lands somewhere beyond the lands of the Mongols. She was just about to share her delight of the meal with Alexius when he rose from his place.

' I am so stupid, Kirra Helena! I forgot about the wine.' Before Helena realized what was happening Alexius were sipping her wine in her silver cup. She had to admit she was flattered by the attention Alexius paid to her. Manuel never did it in this way. He liked the crowds of srvants rushing around him even in their private meetings and he dismissed them often when they really needed to be alone... She tasted the wine. It was very good and very old wine. Then she noticed Alexius had already sat on his distant chair.

' Both the meals and the wine are perfect, Kirr Alexius'

' I do hope so, Kirra Helena. But please go on. You know, Kirra Helena when you are not hungry the conversation runs better.' Alexius said and put very small piece of meat in his mouth. However she did not take this invitation seriously. True, the food and drinks were fantastic but she was a hetera and she had to look and feel well. Furthermore, she had to enjoy her clients in one way or another and her stomach should not be full. And though she had a little bit different intentions for Alexius, she should not eat very much. And it was a habit. There was something more - she was nervous, too. And the large distance between Alexius and her made them almost shouting at each other. She noticed he was not hungry then. It did not matter he was a good actor and simulating eating very skilfully. But his dish was full, he was eating very slow even when compared to the court etiquette and the only thing he really did was to move his knife on his lamb without even cutting it.

' Kirr Alexius, it seems both of us have nothing to do with these meals,' she looked at Alexius and the only thing that prevented her from laughing was her expierience. For Alexius was completely unprepared and had extremely stupid expression on his face. He supressed it very soon but this make him look even more funny.

' What do you mean, Kirra Helena?'

' Neither you, nor me is hungry. It is obvious'

Alexius rose and walked towards her. At first he looked serious and even a little nervous but then he smiled, ' Obvious... Sorry, Kirra helena, I thought you are hungry and- Anyway, I have a surprise for you. I know you are in love with my brother... And I asked for a service a friend of mine family, actually the man who is a temporary governor of Morea.'

'Andronicus Asen?'

'Exactly. He arrived less half an hour in Mistra and will take over the city and the province. So he agreed to let you see my brother,' Alexius said and took out a parchment from his tunics. Now it was helena that could hardly control his emotions. She was absolutely confused and what she thought to be an obstacle only paved her way to Manuel...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It was the second time Helena entered the Palace fo the Despots. She had had many reasons to hate this place and she still had, though the biggest of them had been removed. However she still could feel his presence around her. For she was dressed in black clothes of his late wife given to her by his favourite son in order to look suitable for the case. And now she was to see his heir, the man she loved. There was one last obstacle to be overcome - the guards of Manuel.

' I can not let you go further. Kirr Andronicus Asen and Kir Constantine Matsakes ordered us not to let anybody without their knowledge and permission.'

' I am Alexius Glava Angelus Palaelogus Doukas, son of your late master Nicephorus Glava Doukas. And I insist on opening the door and letting this honourale ladyto visit my brother Manuel Glava Angelus Palaelogus Doukas! '

' I have orders, Kirr Doukas. I have been ordered to let anybody in without the knowledge and permission of Andronicus Asen and his steward Constantine Matsakes.'

' Here is the permission signed by Andronicus Palaelogus Asen. And you have to fulfil your duty! Open the door, please!'

The officer took the parchment and read it. He looked at them once again and Helena noticed hints of hostility. But he rodered the guards to unlock the door and she entered to Manuel followed by Alexius.

It seemed Manuel was sleeping. He looked sweet and helpless. But it was her Manuel.

In a moment she felt unesy and was about to go out. She would visit him in more suitable moment when he is better. But the access to him was limited and she did not take this idea seriously. She approached Manuel and carefully sat on his bed.

' I will leave you alone, Kirra Helena,' Alexius said and went out.

They were alone! Finally. She kissed Manuel on his cheek gently and then his lips. She caressed his cheek once again and once again kissed his lips.

' Manuel '

But Manuel did nothing. He had fallen asleep so deep. She gave him a few kisses more. In vain.

' Manuel, get up, lazy bastard!' she panicked. Was he well? She stared at him but she could not see any reaction. Then she bent over him to see if he breathed. He did, thank you, Jesus! And Manuel smiled.

' It's not funny, Manuel!'

Manuel was laughing.

' Why?'

' I am serious, Manuel,' she tried to supress her smile.

' But I'm not'

' When will you grow up, Manuel?'

' Helena, have you heard love makes the man younger? I think it's my case,' Manuel continued to laugh. Helena also started laughing. Finally, after so much worries, she relaxed and was Helena she used to be. She had not laughed since the accident with Manuel happened

' Helena, I missed you,' Manuel an effort to rise from the bed but Helena stopped him. She bent over him and kissed him passionately. Manuel replied to her...

She could feel the passion is taking over Manuel and it was hard for him to control himself. However, he was weak, he had suffered an accident and needed rest. She bote her lips for one last and said,

' Not now, Manuel '

' Is there any problem? '

' I'm afraid we do no have much time.'

' Helena, I'm well'

' It's not your fault Manuel. It's the problem with the time. '

Manuel caressed her cheek and tried to kiss her but she stopped him.

' Not now, Manuel'

' Do not worry, Helena. I think my brother managed to persuade Andronicus Asen into giving us more time together.'

' Actually, he did. But it's very difficult for anybody to get near you. Constantine has put a lot of restrictions.'

' I'll speak with him. i think he is on my side and he'll listen to me '

' He does not like me. I does not trust him, too. I think you know it - '

' Helena, I am his master now. At least he say so. We will see. Probably he will...'

' Be careful, Manuel. Something is happening in Mistra. Some time ago I told you about Demetrius raoul. And he si in the Palace now… And I see Theodore, the innkeeper, is nervous, too… Actually, I think you know hetera Clyo – she is dead. And Constantine himself went in the inn for her!

‘ Very strange. He did not tell me anything about her. Actually, I can arrange some trusted men of mine to look for your safety.’

‘ No, Manuel. I have my own guards and they all are tested. You will need your people here. I feel safe. Actually I am afraid for you – ‘

Manuel smiled, ‘ I am well and trust me, Constantine told me he will take over my personal defense and I have a big chance to get out of this mess. ‘

‘ I told you, I do not like this amn.’

‘ Helena, I agree he is not perfect. But he served loyally to my father and to the Doukas. Furthermore, I see his life so twined to the Doukas that I do not see any interest of him to harm me. ‘

‘ And yet be careful. You may be right but you may be also wrong. And you will need more than one ally’

‘ What do you mean, Helena?’

‘ I will do my best to learn more about Clyo. My intuition makes me believe the key is in her death. And trust me Theodore will also help. Trust me, I know how to manipulate him – ‘

‘ Helena, I think you have to know it: I can not remember nothing of the passing month. So I’m quite useless…’

‘ Manuel, you talk nonsense. What I need now is to know you are well.’

‘ Helena, be careful. I will never forgive to myself if something bad happens to you.’

‘ I promise’

A kiss for goodbye followed.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 07-24-2007 at 12:06.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Constantine waited Andronicus to sit on his chair and then he sat on the opposite chair.

‘ Kirr Asen, I am ready with the report for Mistra. It is on the table, Kirr Asen. I will give you some elucidation.’

‘ No, Constantine, I trust you. I know you have done a good job.’

‘ Thank you, Kirr Asen’

‘ By the way, Constantine, how is Manuel?’

‘ He is well but still confused from what happened’

‘ Poor boy. Actually, today I met his brother Alexius who asked me for a very strange service – to let a woman enter to Manuel. The girl was his lover, he told me, and suffered a lot for him. And I gave my permission. To tell you the truth, I do not trust prostitutes and heteras, but Alexius was quite convincing that the girl was faithful to his brother. And I did not want to stand between one’s love , especially after I myself suffered the loss of mine’

‘ I am sorry, Kirr Asen’

‘ Thank you, Constantine. You know I lived with my wife almost twenty sweet years since I was twenty and she gave me two daughters. I was so happy – I was.’

‘ I am sorry, Kirr Asen. If you wish I can excuse your absence from the dinner.’

‘ Do not worry, Constantine. I will overcome it. Actually, I wondered what kind of a woman this girl is. I mean the Manuel’s lover ‘

‘ A real hetera, Kirr Asen. This is all. Clever, beautiful but a typical hetera’

‘ Do not worry, Constantine. I am sure the boy will forget about her soon. One day he will find his true love,’ a smile appeared on his tired face, ‘ Just like me. But I hope he will be more lucky than me – ‘

‘ Kirr Asen, you make me fear for you – ‘

‘ No, Constantine. I have passed through so many difficulties. You have no reason to worry about me. Anyway, Constantine, I think we have to go. For the snakes in the main hall await us’

----------

They went out of the solar and were met by young servant of Andronicus. It was obvious whose the boy was – his appearance was very similar of that of his father Michael Palaelogus Asen, a claimant to the Bulgarian throne and a brother to Andronicus Asen. Unlike his brother, who never cared about his bastards, his brother cared about them. He had taken the child under his protection and care. For a moment Constantine tried to imagine the role the son of Michael would have in the puzzle of the Empire. And the answer was not so difficult – he would never go in the fatherland of his family but just on the opposite, he will try to climb his way in the Empire. If he was lucky…

‘ How are you, Micheal,’ Andronicus Asen said to the boy with a soft voice expressing paternal love and care. The bow bowed and answered according to the etiquette, ‘ Very well, Kirr Asen’ As he rose, Constantine saw glitter in his eyes. Andronicus replied to him with one of his rare smiles. And he passed him and the boy followed him. The boy was happy, Constantine thought as he was walking next to Andronicus. He did not know what was to be alone, to be starving and to tremble like a leaf because of your uncle who did not care for anything but for full bottle of wine. Yes, the second substitute of Nicephorus began his career as pickpocket on the streets of Constantinople. Until the day he tried to rob his chance. But his chance turned out to be the only one who ever caught him. And instead of putting him in the prison, he went to his uncle and his wife, a greedy bitch and bought him… for three bottles of wine. But now it was he who sold and bought. But now these were useless memories… and there was no profit of them… He had more important tasks to concentrate on. Like the one that was climbing up the stairs followed by his guar. It seemed Romanus was busy at a certain direction. As he saw the substitute of Nicephorus he slowed down and approached them.

‘ Kirr Philantropenus, I am glad to see you here. How are you, my friend?’

Philantropenus and Asen hugged in a friendly way.

‘ Very well, Kirr Asen. True, I am still recovering from the ship voyage I had to Pelloponesus but I’m recovering fast. Kirr Matsakes, my friend, I do hope you will be present on the dinner’

‘ I will, Kirr Philantropenus,’ Constantine smiled,’ though I will have to leave you from time to time as usual’

‘ Kirr Asen, your steward works so hard. I think something must be done about him’

Kirr Asen smiled, ‘ Even Kirr Doukas, may his soul rest in peace, could not make him wiser and I doubt I can as well’

‘ We all know how stubborn Kirr Matsakes is!’

‘ Kirr Philantropenus – ‘

‘ Do not be so modest, Kirr Matsakes! Kirr Asen, you have much work to do! Anyway,’ Romanus stifled his smile,’ I have to go. I am really busy. However, I do hope I will meet you in the main hall’

‘ Good, Kirr Philantropenus. You may go but please do not be very late. I appreciate your company'

‘ I won’t, Kirr Asen, I promise. But I have to go’

‘ Constantine, sometimes I do wonder whether Kirr Doukas and me are too cruel,’ Asen smiled as Romanus continued his way walking as fast as possible, ‘ After all you work so hard and – ‘

‘ Kirr Asen, I do hope I am not to offense you but if there is a way to finish me, this is to give me some rest. Do not worry, when I die I will have plenty of time to the Doomsday to have a rest’

‘ I do not know, Constantine, the things are not so simple. Probably, you will have to take from the life what you can while you are still happy and safe. But if you have any problem, Constantine, please share it with me and I will do my best to help you, my friend’

‘ As you wish, Kirr Asen, but so far I am well, thank God!’

‘ Good, Constantine’

At that time they already reached the main hall. The candles and the torches were lighted, the meals were served and the guests were waiting. The moment the substitutes of the despot entered they all become silent and stared at them. The whole nobility of Morea was there to witness his loyalty to the Emperor and to the person who had ruled the place in his name. And to the person who will rule it. Some of them hated the present substitutes, others only him, Constantine Matsakes, third was his allies, fourth his allies-to-be. And there were many neutral who never joined to any factions unless its victory is sure. And of course, there were sixth that were puppets of their wives, who were in a separate hall. Traditionally, men and women were separated as the old moral prescribed. Only the heteras, the elite companions, were allowed to share men's company. The place of the prostitutes was a bit different – their place was not in the hall but after it: when the men got drunk and their wives went home.

Andronicus Asen reached his chair and sat on it and Constantine sat on his right side. Then Andronicus gave a sign the dinner to start. All the started eating and drinking... At first the conversation was more whispering than real conversation but it soon became louder. The feast was strange for there was no musicians and dancers but everything was in black. May God be merciful to forgive your sins, Nicephorus Doukas! And then he saw her.

-----

She saw him and met his cold eyes. They made her skin crawled. She felt guilty very, very rarely but it was one of this times. She was in the dress of the wife of the man who died only few days ago. On the mourning feast! But somehow she managed to force herself just to walk away. Once she was away from the crowd she felt better. She had some time to consider her situation. She was too vulnerable here in this Palace where the dead seemed to rule, for Constantine was the only one who knew the secrets of this place. Her place really was not here. She had more important tasks to do. And she went down the stairs... And she passed a man she knew... But Yaniz was not alone. He was followed by a stranger all clad in black. And both of them were silent. She felt a strong desire to learn where they were going. Probably it was vital.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 02-22-2008 at 15:54.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

To be honest, I don't think I like the latest installment as much as the previous ones. The main characters seem a bit too open with each other. This is the Byzantine empire, after all. Otherwise, it's a good update. Have you considered creating a dramatis personae?

Blog Entries

Wink Comment on the Story

Ludens, everything in this scene is well considered. And I am happy you have noticed this detail since it will be useful later. There are at least two different explanation of the conversation between Andronicus, Romanus and Constantine but only one of them is true. I will be silent about most of the things but I will give a eluciadation. Being first substitute of Nicephorus Andronicus Asen is highest ranked of all and consequently he dictates the tone of the conversation. So more or less he is the key. In addition the conversations are in private since there are not many witnesses so very official tone is not required... And I will stop here.

Dramatis Personae... I do hope I have understood right... Yes, there are several candidates mentioned in the updates. The main character I will keep in secret so far. I know, it sounds quite weird not to reveal the main character of your story... Not yet... I have a serious reason to do so.

If there are more questions, I am ready to read them by post or PM.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 04-21-2007 at 15:54.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Comment on the Story

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Asen
    Dramatis Personae... I do hope I have understood right... Yes, there are several candidates mentioned in the updates. The main character I will keep in secret so far. I know, it sounds quite weird not to reveal the main character of your story... Not yet... I have a serious reason to do so.
    Sounds intriguing. A Dramatis Personae, if you don't know the term, is a list of the most important characters, with a brief description of each. Like this:

Nicephorus Doukas: Tyrant of Mistra, head of the Doukas family, a leper
    Manuel Doukas: oldest son and heir of Nicephoros Doukas
    Alexios Doukas: youngest son of Nicephoros Doukas, soldier in the service of ...
    Helena: hetaira in the service of ..., lover of Manuel Doukas

And so on. There are many names in your story, and I have trouble remembering who the less frequently appearing characters are

Blog Entries

Post Re: Dramatis Personae

Thank you. So let's have some work... So many names

Nicephorus Doukas: Despot of Morea and a head of the Doukas family; ex-megas logothete; leper

Manuel Doukas: eldest son of Nicephorus and his heir

Alexius Doukas: youngest son of Nicephorus and an officer of in the Imperial army; by the will of his father he will inherit some of his lands (though most of them are given to Manuel) *.

Helena: hetaira in the service of Theodore and lover of Manuel Doukas;

Maria: nine-year-old maid of Helena; Helena's pupil

David: trusted guard of Helena

Theodore: innkeeper; pimp; ex-brigand

Christopher: trusted man of Theodore; substitute of the latter when he is absent

Constantine Matsakes: steward of Nicephorus and his second substitute; he is also governor of the city of Mistra (the 'capital' of Morea); recognized by Loukas Matsakes as his bastard;

Yanis: (by the way in Greek he is Ioannis which is equal to John but since there are already two Johns in this story I will continue to call him Yaniz) so Yanis: servant considered to be close to Constantine Matsakes

Romanus Philantropenus: high-ranked nobleman whose family (esp. his brother) is close to the Emperor; secret lover of Nicephorus before the latter became a leper

Theophil Branas: Chief Judge of Thessaloniki; brother of Dyogenes Branas (look below)

Andronicus Asen: high-ranked nobleman; first substitute of Nicephorus Doukas; widower;

Demetrius Raoul: right hand of the leader of the aristocratic opposition Michael Cantakuzenus; megas contostavlos in the Imperial army;

Kosmas: a physician; friend of Constantine and of the Doukas

George: officer and commander of the personal guard of Nicephorus Doukas;

Richard: English mercenary; currently in no service

Iphigenia: prostitute attended by Manuel the day of the accident with Manuel

-------
    Characters that died until this particular moment:

Nicephorus Doukas

Clyo: a hetaira in service of Theodore

John: personal physician of Nicephorus

Characters that died before the moment this story begins:

Jesaiah: Partiarch of Constantinople; puppet master; Ally of Nicephorus Doukas

Anna Angelina: wife of Nicephorus Doukas and mother of their three surviving children: Eudokia, Manuel and Alexius

Dyogenus Branas: lover of Nicephorus Doukas

Lucas Matsakes: mentor of Constantine Matsakes

Despot: title first in the rank of Late Byzantine titles after this of the Emperor and co-Emperor; also a traditional title of the rulers of Morea

Morea: the Byzantine territory in Pelloponesus

megas logothete: Prime-minister

megas contostavlos: commander of the Western mercenaries in the Imperial army;

* Intersting detail about Byzantium. Unlike the Medieval West, not only the first son has the right to inherit his father; even the bastards have some rights on their father's property (if they are recognized of course);

As you see here Nicephorus has given most of his lands to his first son but he has given a few lands to his second son as well
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 10-14-2008 at 22:02.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Research Shinobi Senior Member Tamur's Avatar

Ah, thanks for the work on this, Stephen, very helpful!
    "Die Wahrheit ruht in Gott / Uns bleibt das Forschen." Johann von Müller

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Regarding the Critique

I will go for 5CC. Criticise severely. I do hope I will improve many of the things!
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Hi, I have some good and some bad news. The good: I am alive, finally the new ideas for the story are put into order and I have very clear image for the next few chapters ( at least I think so). The bad news: I am alive but I am not very sure my computer is. I have some problems with this cute creature; and a new wave of exams are coming. Actually, the next chapter is on paper now and it is only a matter of time to publish it. I do hope I will get the luck to do this soon. Thanks for the patience.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Take your time. Good work generally does.
    Exams and technical problems are good reasons to postpone the release of a new chapter, so don't worry about it.

Good luck! Hope you come out of them successfully!
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Research Shinobi Senior Member Tamur's Avatar

Yes, good luck. Seems to be the time for exams all over, I hope yours go well.
    "Die Wahrheit ruht in Gott / Uns bleibt das Forschen." Johann von Müller

Blog Entries

I second Warmaster Horus' comments. Take your time, and good luck!

Blog Entries

Hi,
    The new posts will be on 16th of June (which is less probable) or 7th of July (which is more probable since my exams will be over). The story is not abandoned. Furthermore I sit and write a bit when I am too tired of reading about exams... Thank you for the patience and sorry for the delayal once again.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Glad to hear it. Take your time, Stephen.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Hi,
    The new posts will be on 16th of June (which is less probable) or 7th of July (which is more probable since my exams will be over). The story is not abandoned. Furthermore I sit and write a bit when I am too tired of reading about exams... Thank you for the patience and sorry for the delayal once again.
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Really, I am in the same position. Every freelance writer has this.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Blog Entries

Helena hesitated for a moment. She felt the piercing sight of the guard she was passing. He was too observant even for a guard. Only a fool would follow Yaniz and his guest. If it was a secret of a great importance, Constantine would never make the mistake to let somebody like her learn it. Most probably Yaniz and the guest would lock in a distant and well guarded wall with a thick wooden door. And of course she would not do the stupid mistake to demonstrate how deeply interested in this story she was.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Except for several cases of drunk noblemen everything was going well until now. For Andronicus Asen drank another cup of wine and his behaviour was about to go out of control.

' Kir Asen, ' Constantine whispered in his ear,' I think it is time to go. The nobleman are bored and some of them already drunk'

Andronicus stared at the nothing and thought for a while.

' Probably you are right, Constantine,' he sighed and then he rose. ' My friends and allies,' Andronicus Asen said to the noblemen around him,' the morning is close and I have to prepare for the tomorrow day. I will have to leave you. But it was honour to share this dinner with you' The hall also became silent trying to hear what the substitute of Nicephorus was speaking. There were a few drunk noblemen who continued to mumble but soon they also stopped. The noblemen from the table , except for Constantine, who already was on his feets, also stood up. So did the other noblemen in the hall. Andronicus Asen said some final words thanking once again to the dynatoi and then walked away. Constantine followed him and so Romanus Philantropenus, Demtrius Raoul, Alexius Doukas and several others did. In the small crowd his slight dizziness was even more invisible since there were some that had drunk more. Soon after the small crowd went out , it started to fall apart on small groups. Demetrius Raoul stayed with several other noblemen, Alexius went with the group of bishop of Mistra, Romanus Philantropenus continued his way alone. He, Constantine, stayed with Andronicus Asen. Тhe group was small, numbering eight men, all of whom were soldiers and Constantine was the only high-ranked official there.

' I am sorry, Kirr Asen. I did not mean to -'

' I know, I know,' Andronicus shook his head.' You were right, I drank too much. The death of my wife changed everything. Constantine, have you ever lost somebody you loved? ' but in the next moment he rose his hand as to stop him, ' No, no, do not answer me. you have the right to keep this as your secret. But if you did, you really know what I feel... Emptiness, rambling thoughts, memories, again emptiness. You want to forget about it, you want it never to have happened, but if at the same time time deep inside you know you do not want to forget a single moment spent with her and you still think it could have happened otherwise if - '

' I know, Kirr Asen'

Andronicus Asen stopped. It was not only because they had reached his solar. The eyes of Andronicus Asen expressed surprise. At the same time one of the guards unlocked the door . Just before entering Constantine saw a mysterious figure that was waiting at the end of the dark corridor. Then he entered and repled to what Andronicus was talking to him. He had not been very concentrated on what Andronicus Asen was talking to him but he could catch the meaning of his words. It was another result of his long service to the dead leper.

' Thank you, Kirr Asen, ' he replied . Once Andronicus and he were in the solar Constsantine closed the door behind him. Andronicus turned back and nodded,

' Very good, Constantine. Now take a seat '

The substitute of Nicephorus sat on his bed, ' Constantine, I know she is the reason you never married. Probably you suffered a lot'

' There are many reasons for this decision of mine. But you are right, Kirr Asen... She was the main reason. But nothing really happened. She chose somebody else'

' It seems you are full with surprises, Constantine. But you do not deserve to be alone, Constantine. But why did not you sit '

' Kirr Asen, I am very busy. This feast took me a lot time. The papers are waiting for me '

' Constantine, you will never change. You know before this accident with my wife, I was the same. Preoccupied with work. But now... I wish I had spent more time with her... The life is short, Constantine. '

' I know. And as promised everything is arranged...'

' What do you mean? '

' We talked about it this morning'

' Constantine - '

' No, Kirr Asen, you need to relax -'

' Constantine - '

' You are in good hands, master '

' I really do not know - '

' No, you need it, trust me, Kirr Asen'

' Constantine -' Andronicus sighed,' Good. Let her enter '

' As you wish, Kirr Asen '

Constantine bowed and went out of the solar. The guards were there, his and of Andronicus, but there was also a cowled figure. She slowly approached him and he took it down. He met her eyes. They expressed confidence. She was skilled, Constantine thought, just the woman he needed for Andronicus. He nodded her,

' He awaits you'

She nodded and bowed in manner women did. She was a :good: girl, Constantine remarked in his mind. But he did not have any time to waste. He needed to secure the power of Kirr Asen... But he did not go so far. He met the bishop of Mistra.

The meeting with Theodosius Chomatian was wished, though not expected to happen so quickly. Theodosius Chomatian was lean which gave him the appearance of extremely pious man. However, deep inside his virtues were fighting with the many temptations one bishop was exposed. For he did a lot to increase the Orthodox zeal in the local population but he also increased the riches of the Church. And although he was not very good steward, the tendencies helped him. And the more time was passing, the more mean Theodosius was getting. And though he fighted with this vice it was getting stronger.

' Kirr Matsakes, you continue to surprise me. I thought you are sharing the company of Kirr Asen'

' No, I left Kirr Asen. He was too tired'

' He is still recovering from the death of his wife. Poor woman, she was such an angel. She would never argue, would often keep silence instead of saying these useless words the other women used to say. Actually, she so much looked like Kirra Anna Angelina... May our Lord be merciful and let these innocemnt souls rest in piece,' Theodosius crossed and several the clergymen around followed his example.

' Yes, I agree '

' I will pray for them. Talking of Anna Angelina, Kirr Matsakes, do you have any idea about Kirr Doukas, I mean,the elder brother, Manuel '

' He is well, though confused'

' Poor Manuel... I still think these clamours in the family could have been avoided if he had become a clergyman. I saw a great career for him. But Nicephorus just did not listen, ' Theodosius shook his head. ' And yet I know him: I doubt he could have commit a murder...'

' Of course he can not, Kirr Theodosius, ' Constantine agreed. However under the surface they were arguing. He knew how this strict old man thought: Manuel was a drunkard, whoremonger, man ready to do everything for handful money why not even to kill his father. On the other side Chomatian also knew Constantine was a great defender of Manuel so the theme of Manuel's guilt was soon ignored for the sake of the policy.

' Kirr Matsakes, bad times had come for the Empire: clamours amongst the greatest families, wars. The war with the Turks, the war with Bulgaria and the war with Serbia... they followed one after another... And what about this shameful tribute given to the Khan of the Golden Horde... It is a shame and I do hope the day when we will stop it will come soon... ' Constantine did not. The Tartars, ' people of the hell ' as they called the Mongols were dangerous and mighty opponents. And it was dangerous step to angry them. Both the Turks and the Northern neighbours of the Empire, the Bulgarians still suffered from the destruction the Mongol invasion did. And he, Constantine still wore the scar done by the Mongol blade twenty four years ago. ' And the Emperor is going to impose new taxes... Where will this Empire end' The taxes did not affect the Church but this meant the noblemen would not be so generous to the Church as they used to be. And who knew... the nobility was today, tomorrow the Church might be next...

' I see your sorrow, Kirr Theodosius. Bad times had come but I am sure Kirr Asen will continue the good relations with the Holy Church and I will do my best to improve the current situation'

'Thank you, Kirr Matsakes. '

' You welcome, Kirr Theodosius,' Constantine made a discrete smile.

' Talking about the Holy Church, Kirr Constantine, have you heard the news?'

' What news?'

' A new Patriarch was elected, have you not heard, Kirr Matsakes'

' Actually, I did not,' he lied staring at the eyes of Theodosius.

' After the natural death of Patriarch Jesaiah, may he rests in peace, John, bishop of Thessalonica was elected and acceopted the name John the Twelth. I believe this holy number will only increase his eternal wisdom and will bring him a long and successful rule of the Holy Church'

' May your words come true, Kirr Theodosius '

'Ah, Kirr Matsakes, is this not the son of Nicephorus, Kirr Alexius Doukas? I have just thought where he had gone'

' I am sure it must be something very important'

' I do hope he will not follow the path his brother chose. I could not believe my eyes when I saw him with that... women... that... lacked the proper moral, that... woman that all the city adore like a pagan goddess'

' The boy is young, just like his brother '

' So you have to be careful and not to let the boy be seduced by this vicious woman'

' I will, Kirr Chomatian'

' Glad to hear this. And so... what were we talking about...ah, yes... the faith. Kirr Matsakes, there were five men, five heretics...you promised'

' Ah, the Bogomils? To tell you the truth a public execution would only make them martyrs. I will execute only the leader but the other will be left to die in the prisons of Mistra. Is that enough?'

' Yes, it is, Kirr Matsakes. This is absolutely sufficient and - '

Here Theodosius Chomatian stopped. Romanus Philantropenus was coming towards them and he could not bear his presence. After fast excusal Chomatian withdrew with his clergymen and headed towards their rooms. At the same time Romanus Philantropenus approached Constantine with his large smile. However it was bitter and closer to a smile full of sarcasm than the one caused by real humour.

' It seemed I interrupted very interesting conversation, Constantine'

' You did not, Kirr Philantropenus. the topic was exhausted. What may I do for you, Kirr Philantropenus'

The smile of Romanus disappeared, ' Constantine, you are always the same. Your live is only work and work. I have never seen you to relax. Never. but you need it'

' There is no need to worry about me, Kirr Philantropenus. However if you continue to repeat it, I might think you want me to resign'

' No, Constantine, just on the opposite. But you are the only real friend of mine I have here in Mystra and I do not want to lose you'

' You will not, Kirr Philantropenus, trust me'

' Good but I see you need a rest. I also suffer but I am not as overburdened as you are my friend. At least I relax in company of friends and nice women. While you are only working'

' I do what my duty is, Kirr Philantropenus'

' Very well, Constantine. It is impossible to argue with you. But even the late despot was better than you. At least he had Anna Angelina. I would say she played very important role in his life. After her death I saw how he collapsed '

' You are right, Kirr Philantropenus, Nicephorus and Anna were the perfect couple and I do hope the peace would be restored in the family'

Constantine was waiting. There was a small group of people that passed away and it was just at the time Romanus started to speak about the late 'couple'. His intentions were so clear at least for him, Constantine, though for most of the people he played his role well. But recently he was making mistakes. He was getting nervous and his face hinted his tire. And definately the presence of the judge contributed to his weakness.No doubt the judge had noticed his strange reaction that night before the room of George and no doubt he would be seduced to find out more about Romanus. The more Romanus tried to hide his secrets, the more they got exposed.

' Talking of the Doukas family, how does Manuel feel ?' Romanus moved his sight from Constantine stared at the dark corridor where Alexius disappeared.

' Very well, Kirr Philantropenus, even too well for his condition'

' I saw his mistress,' Constantine met the Romanus' eyes again, ' Helena Theodorina. She doea not like bad but she is a bit suspicious. To tell you the truth, Constantine, there are many people who blame her for the corruption of Manuel. And I do wonder why Nicephorus did not try to separate them - '

' I do hope one day Manuel will realize what kind of... woman he had chosen. But so far nothing can be done. We have to be patient '

' It seems Alexius also made some steps towards the top. I have heard interesting rumours about his marriage with the daughter of Kirr Asen'

' It is not surprising, Kirr Philantropenus. Eirene Asenina, the youngest daughter of Kirr Asen is his financee.'

' I know. But I am not very aware when the marriage would be done'

' There is time, Kirr Philantropenus, there is time. They are young and unlike us they have plenty of time,' Romanus did not like this statement. ' Probably this year or the next one. Who knows? '

' Kirr Asen is a governor, Kirr Matsakes '

' I know. But he is a temporary one and in addition he is arespected nobleman. I will nort be surprised if the Emperor himself went with the bride to the altar'

'The Emperor,' Constantine noticed the face of Romanus getiing pale.

' By high probabiltiy, Kirr Philantropenus'

' It is such an honour'

' It is,' Constantine smiled

Correct me if I am wrong but I I think the link between the different moments in these dialogues are a bit broken. Probably... Please comment this. And why not other things.
    What about the grammar? I'm inquisitive to know how I cope with it...
    And the plot... Something you did not like for example...
    The bitter truth,please. I have more time and I can work on it!
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Correct me if I am wrong but I I think the link between the different moments in these dialogues are a bit broken. Probably... Please comment this. And why not other things.
    What about the grammar? I'm inquisitive to know how I cope with it...
    And the plot... Something you did not like for example...
    The bitter truth,please. I have more time and I can work on it!
    I don't agree, to be honest I think this is your best series of dialogue yet. The main problem is still your English, but it's not grammar. It's more that you often pick the wrong word for your translation. For example, "substitute" has a somewhat derogatory ring to it, so it's not appropriate to indicate the replacement of a high official. In this case, I think the word successor would be better.

Anyway, I am glad to see you back. Did your exams go well?

Blog Entries

The carriage entered in the yard of the hetaira house.

' Are we home, Kirra Helena?' Her maid, the nine-year old Maria asked. The other maid, who was in her late thirties, looked at her with a criticism that said ' Do not bother Kirra Helena with stupid questions Maria'. Sometimes this woman was too strict, Helena thought. Fortunately, the child had not noticed her reaction but was staring in the eyes of the hetaira. They were so big, so beautiful. And so warm... she almost forgot she had to answer the inquisitive girl.

'Yes, we are, Maria,' she smiled at the girl and the girl did the same. All were eager to go home. The death of Nicephorus and the presence of so many noblemen soured their time in the Palace. At least for the two maids and her guards. She had started to hate this place since her first meeting with the leper.

The carriage finally stopped. Helena opened the door and went out. She smelled the fresh air filled with the aroma of cedar tree and the flowers the servants had planted. Then she felt somebody approached her from behind. Maria, she thought and smiled in her mind. Her tire and bitterness had gone away. And so did her uncertainty.

But he appeared from the house. He had come to welcome her. There was a large smile on his face. A large artificial smile. Then she met his wild eyes. His wild vengeful eyes. Two powers were intertwined in them: the power to pretend and to wait, lurking like a snake and the power to attack and to tear the prey as an eagle. She knew the snake would lose. But not today. Now he would pretend she was like the other whores he slept with and that she was a just a reserve for him. Just like him.

' Welcome, Kirra Helena! But are you not coming too early?'

' No, Christopher, I am not. It was part of our plan with Theodore '

' I see, ' he said drily. But his eyes were telling her something else. He sensed something had happened in the Palace. And that she was defeated there in one or another way. ' But you must be disappointed, Kirra Helena'

'Why should I, Christopher?'

' It was a great honour to be invited there. And to go back so early. Pity ' Pity for you, Helena, his eyes were saying. Have you been humiliated once again by your love, that bastard Manuel Doukas?

' You are wrong, Christopher. You forget who I am '

' Probably I am wrong. However, I have never forgotten who you are, Kirra Helena' Unlike some other people I would not mention, Helena!

'Good, ' you may be arrogant but I am a good student ' But then I wonder what you are doing on the entrance of the house... Christopher '

' Good question, Kirra Helena '

' But stupid answer, Christopher. Guards, remove this garbage from my way! '

Christopher was still standing there. And he still had that arrogant smile on his face. The guards were hesitating: he was the one who ruled the Theodore's property when the latter was absent.

' Guards! ' she repeated with her voice as cold as steel. And then a short struggle followed. There were no quarrels, no shouting, just a silent fight. At the end Christopher was caught and the order of the mistress fulfilled.

Helena slowly walked towards the entrance and passed Christopher. As she reached the doorstep, she turned back. The stupid artificial arrogant smile was still on his face.

' Christopher, my poor Christopher, you have always been a bad student... Unlike me. Pity. Guards, throw this garbage on the proper place! Thank you in advance! ' Then she smiled. Her first smile since their conversation started. And the bigger her smile was getting, the smaller that of Christopher became. Christopher even protested. But in vain, her guards were already dragging him towards the ' proper place' .

' Kirra Helena,' her older maid interferred, ' I am not very sure -'

' I am '

' But if Theodore - '

' Theodore is absent. And I have made my decision '

She only felt sadness it was dark. She looked over the silhouette, who had just been thrown in the dunghill and now was trying to raise on his feets. She kept her artificial smile on her face. And she could hear the guards of the hetaira house mocking her fallen enemy. Then she entered in the house.

' Good evening, people, ' she said to the bewildered servants, who had come to welcome her. The servants bowed and she passed them. As she was slowly climbing stair by stair, she heard somebody was timidly moving behind her. Despite her desire, Helena could not just turn back. Maria had to be given a good example how to hide her emotions and she , Helena, could not demonstrate how close to Maria she was. Not now. Would Maria understand? She had to.

When she was in her solar, she sat on her bed and invited Maria to sit next to her. The door was closed and the other maid was free to go in her room in the other end of the house. Helena and Maria were absolutely alone. Finally.

The eyes of the girl hinted surprise, confusion and, at the same time, effort to fight the strong desire to ask Kirra Helena. Maria had felt it was not the most suitable moment for this. However, Helena had other thoughts. One day Maria would be a hetaira and she had to know.

' Are you well, Maria?'

' Yes, I am, Kirra Helena'

' I know you have never seen me to behave like this ... but there are people so stubborn and arrogant, they can not be handled in other way. Christopher is one of them'

Maria was silent. She did not expect any explanation. And then she smiled,

' Actually, it was quite funny, Kirra Helena'

' Really?'

' Yes, especially that moment when Kirr Christopher protested'

Helena laughed and hugged Maria,' My child' She had never done it before. It was against all the rules and yet she did it. She felt no sorry for this. ' My poor Maria' Then she started to cry.

' Are you well, Kirra Helena? '

' Of course I am. I have just - ' she wiped her tears, 'I do not know what happened with me'

' Kirra Helena, I love you and do not want nothing bad to happen with you, Kirra Helena '

' I know, Maria, I know. Sorry '

' You have always told me the tears clear our eyes and soul, Kirra Helena. Do not feel guilty, Kirra Helena'

' I do not feel guilty, Maria, ' she smiled. Helena realized Maria did not really feared her and if there was any of this feeling, it had been wiped out with the Helena's tears. Furthermore, Helena decided to use her current weakness to teach Maria to something useful. ' Maria, you will become a hetaira. And you must know the feelings. When do people usually cry? '

' When they are sad or too happy, Kirra Helena '

' Yes, you are right...when the feelings are too strong. By the way, Maria, you must know there are women who think crying can keep one man close to them. Note I talk about deliberate crying, not about uncontrollable reaction. This is a mistake, Maria. Do you know why? '

' Because when we show our tears, we often make the others feel pity for us.'

' Right. You are very clever for nine-year-old girl, Maria. Yes, these women make the men feel pity for them but not love. This is a forced feeling and can not achieve anything. Crying is not a good way to attract attention. Especially for a hetaira. She should be extraordinary woman. She should be part of a completely different world. '

' Because crying is connected with problems and when men go to hetaira they are looking forward to escaping from their real problems. It will ruin the effect'

' Right, Maria. I am afraid I have nothing to say more than this... except for mixing feelings... '

'Mixing feelings? '

' Mixing feelings. Yes... Every successful person has enemies. And trust me, what I am going to tell you will be very useful in your life. It is extremely painful to go from great happiness to great sorrow and it is a great relief to exprerience great happiness after a great sorrow. You must know it. Because your enemies will know it. ' As ordinary, Helena was ready to give an example. It was about her and Clyo. Clyo caught Helena unprepared and Helena could not control her nerves. Then a short fight followed. But Maria was a barely nine-year-old child. And probably she would drop it somewhere. And who knew who would hear it... This innocent example could have dramatic effect...

' Kirra Helena, are you well? '

' Of course I am... I rememeber that Nicephorus Doukas, the late despot was a master of what I called 'mixing feelings' . And I was thinking about tomorrow'

' Is the funeral of master Nicephorus tomorrow? '

' No, the day after. Master Nicephorus was very important man and the people are given time to say goodbye to him. This is what I was thinking... '

' And what will be next? Will there be somebody to defend Mistra? '

' I hope so, Maria. You will have to believe our Lord will not forget about his people and his Empire, Maria. He will defend us. And you see, master Andronicus came and will put order in Morea '

' But what will happen if the dynatoi rebel and the Franks strike? '

' Maria, you have been told not to overhear the conversation of other people, ' Helena smiled, ' the dynatoi fear the Emperor and Morea is strong, the Franks have more serious problems'

' Is it true that Kirr Constantine will safe Morea?'

' Who told you so?'

' Well... I have heard an old men talking with his daughter... ' Maria stared the floor.

' No, Maria, Constantine is a man like us. He has his vices and virtues. He is not the only one who protects Mistra. Take for example. He is doing his job, paying taxes to the state and taking care of his servants'

' But he is not a governor- '

' Nor Constantine is '

Maria was a little confused,

' One day you will understand, Maria. You are too young now,' Helena smiled.

' But Kirr Andronicus is, isn't he?'

' You are too young. One day you will have to grow up. And to grow up you need to sleep'

Maria was not very glad to hear it but she obeyed Helena.

' But you will tell me a tale, aren't you? ' Maria stared at Helena

' Of course, Maria,' the hetaira smiled gently.

Sorry for the delayal. I was off-line for several days and I was back yesterday. Half of this chapter suffered a serious changes which also slowed me down. It is definately better than the original one but probably not as good as I wanted.

Ludens, thank you for the comment. Hmmm... my English... I see a lot of work there.

Talking of work. During my exams I saw a lot of work. Generally speaking, I am very chaotic person but (:advertisement time:) this time I was very different (probably there is evolution or just I did not have any time to waste ) . My exams were passed extremely successfully and I have recovered, too. Well, everything was in papers, which was not a sign of very organised person but this is a detail.

So I am well and the story is progressing. By the way, I hope you and the other readers (if there are any ) will like the next chapter. It is written on paper and I need one last reading before I post it.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 07-18-2007 at 16:11.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

V. Weakness or Strength
    That night she fell asleep difficult and when she did, she had nightmares. First, Theodore died of heart attack, then Manuel was found guilty and decapitated... And soon after Alexius stormed into her room and - She woke up only to fell asleep few moments later. And then... darkness. There she was on the coast of unknown sea, and she was old and alone. She could see her image on the crystal clear water of that sea and her hair was white and nothing had left from her beauty. Only her tired eyes. And she was waiting. But nobody came and she was getting weaker and weaker. She was abandoned by everybody, even by the Death itself. She opened her eyes and rose producing a silent cry. She was all in sweat. It was still dark but the sun had started to rise. She knew the day would be a long one...

Here she was, Helena Theodorina lying on her bed. She did not call for her maids: she needed to be alone with her thoughts. And she did not want to wake up Maria. The child would never have such sweet dreams once she became adult. And this time was coming, Helena knew that. And what would happen to Maria next? Only our Lord knew. But Helena prayed her little Maria never have the same fate she had. Especially in her personal life. And it was subdued to Manuel. Manuel was her pleasure and pain. She loved him but she sometimes hated him. And there was always one large dose of pity she felt for him. Her love and often his pity made her forgive him everything he had done. He was not perfect but who was. He was not a murderer, you knew this Helena. And you would have to fight for him... till the end.

She could no longer stay in her bed. She got up and dressed herself and started combing her hair. While combing her hair, she remembered a detail she ignored the night before. As she had reached her door she had noticed guards before the solar of Clyo. They were too far to be recognized but this was probably a hint, important hint. Constantine had rummaged the room... Obviously, Clyo had an important role in the whole story, otherwise Constantine would not have gone in the house and to waste his time. Second, there were guards, consequently there is something that worthed guarding. Either there was something she, Helena Theodorina should not know or he, Constantine Matsakes, had not found what he was searching. The guards were also a hint: either they were in Theodore's service which meant the expected discovery is not of great importance or it was the second: they were trusted men of Constantine. If so, what was in this room was of very important for the 'steward' . But she had to be patient and to uncover layer by layer. She did not want to follow the destiny of Clyo. What she needed now was patience.

She successfully combed her hair and dressed in clothes suitable for ride. She needed to do something to distract or she would not sleep this night too and the night after which would result on her appearence. And on her thinking. Alternatively , the riding improved her thinking so that she could think better and faster. When she was ready with her dressing she put the hood on her head and unlocked the door. As she went out she locked the door again. Then she met one of her guards who had guarded the second floor the passing night. He looked so tired she did not want to bother them so their conversation was short. Once it was over, she continued on the corridor passing by the guards in front of the Clyo's solar. She did not know them.

Few moments later she was in front of her maid's room and knocked on it. She did not intend to do this but she did not want to attract attention. She had to have any reason for passing so close to Clyo's room. And her maid was the perfect reason. The door was unlocked and the maid invited her to enter. After a small hesitation Helena entered. Their conversation was short and insignificant conversation concerning Maria who should not be left alone. Once the it was over, Helena left the room and passed by the guards for a second time. Then she went down the stairs. There was almost nobody there except for a servant headed to unknown destination. As she reached the first floor Helena headed for the room of her most trusted guard David. She knocked on his door and he opened it.

'Welcome, Kirra Helena '

' Thank you, David,' she said as she entered. David closed the door behind her and she realized they were alone. His roomate had gone somewhere. Excellent, she thought.

' Helena, the event last night - '

' You mean - '

' Yes, Christopher. I have never seen him so humiliated. Actually he deserved it '

' And what happened next? '

' Well, he stood up cursing at us and went on the house. Of course using the small entrance, ' David smiled, ' But please sit, Helena '

Helena did not reply to his smile: her mind was preoccupied with more important things. Then she cast one last look at the windows: fortunately the shutters were closed. Yet they were speaking low so that nobody could overhear them.

' Thank you, but I can not. I am busy. What happened? '

' I think the bastard would help us but on condition that we pay him well'

' I knew it. Good. I will give you money. But please be careful with them since I am not rich '

' Of course '

' I believe you. And when?'

David nodded. This sign was clear: this night.

' Hm,' she coughed,' good. I am going to ride so you can call the other guards.'

' I will '

' Now I go and will wait you in the stables' Then she put the hood on her head and went out of the solar. The corridor was empty. She continued towards its end and then a familiar men appeared from the corner.

' Helena, I want to speak with you'

' Not now, Christopher '

' It is important, Helena '

' I think it is not '

' I beg you. I have to give you an explanation ' There was a request in his eyes. However, his selfish soul was also hurt, she could see it.

' Then speak '

' I prefer to speak with you in private '

She hesitated for a moment. He did not trust him but probably he might be useful.

' I do hope it is something important,' she said and touched the invisible dagger she wore beneath the cloak. ' But do not approach me!'

' As you wish ' He opened the door behind him and entered. Helena followed him closing the door behind herself. But at the same time she kept her right hand close to her body, close to her dagger. Then she turned back

' Speak, Christopher '

' I am sorry for my behaviour last night. I admit I went too far. But I can not just wait and watch how you are humiliated by that bastard Manuel Doukas'

' Watch your tongue '

' Sorry but he does not care about you. How will you explain his adulteries? Are they a sign of love? And is he really as inncoent as you imagine? He is a son of Nicephorus and you know what happened with us because of that snake! '

' Shut up! I love Manuel and if you have nothing more to say I will leave you. You are not better than him. Remember '

' I am not a saint -'

' You are the devil. Only he can do what you did with me, Christopher! '

' It was a mistake, I did not intend to - '

' Shut up! '

' Helena, I love you - '

' Go to hell! '

' Damn it! You heard me! I love you! ' He stepped towards her broking the safe distance. Then Helena drew her dagger and pointed at him with it. ' Stay away from me! ' she shouted and went out of the door she had just opened. Christopher was so surprised he could not do anything to stop her. Helena slammed the door behind her, gasping for air.

'Helena!' Somebody shouted behind her. She turned back and strengthened her grip on the dagger. But she did not see enemy but David.

' Are you well?' he fastly approached her.

' I am well, Dave, ' though it was more than obvious she was not. She looked at his blue eyes.

' Do not worry, you no longer need this,' he pointed at her dagger. She was still holding it. He helped her to put it back in the sheath. Then they heard somebody cursed and smashed something at the door. It sounded like clay cup. Helena slightly shivered.

' Let's go, Helena ' he said gently ready to support her.

' Thank you, Dave, but I still can walk,' she made a nervous smile. She walked alone leaving as fast as she could this corridor. However David was still close to her, ready to support her if there was a need.

This small accident did not stop Helena. Very soon after Helena and her guards left the hetaira house.
    Although it was very early, the streets of Mistra were full with people. The days were hot and people used the time early and late of the day to do their work. And yet Mistra was not Monemvasia and was not the centre of the commerce in the peninsula. The streets were narrow and the whole city was built on a mountain. The palace was the highest place of the city and yet far from the peak. The city did not reach the valley as well. It's northern parts were guarded by a small but well fortified fortress and the thick forests and the steep rocks. His southern parts were also well defended by the the natural slope of the mountain. Mistra was the perfect place for defense and it was designed to be by its founders: the Latin Princes of Achaia. But when by the will of God the city passed in the hands of the Romans, these fortification became even of greater importance than before guarding the centre of Roman Morea. Now Helena and her guards were moving towards the lower parts of the city and hoped soon to leave it. True, there was some risk but the Roman officials had made everything to put the mercenaries under control. And although accidents were possible, she doubted it would be so dangerous. And her horse was fast... But wasn't it more dangerous to stay in the house? Clyo had died there and it was not the only one - Her attention was attracted by a group of strangers, who wore brown cloaks and had hoods on their heads. Probably they were soldiers... or why not merchants. At the same time she remembered the man in black clothes that spoke with Yanis. Was it possible for him to be in this group? She doubted it. And actually she was getting paranoid: first, she fled from the Palace just because she thought it was possible that Constantine had recognized the dress. Now she started to find these riders to be suspective... She cursed in his mind and made her horse move faster. She wanted to challange her fear and to show there was nothing to worry about. And the riders were moving too slow. As she passed by the riders she felt the peircing sight of one of them. His horse was black, and except for his cloak was dressed in entirely black clothes - his boots were black, his saddle was black, his gloves were also black. The sword on his belt and the mace on his saddle threatened anybody who wanted to challange him. But his face she could not see because the brown hood covered it well. And suddenly he looked at her again.

' Good morning, beautiful Lady,' Alexius said. Finally she could see his face.

' Good morning, Kirr - ' but she stopped. For Alexius had put his forefinger on his lips. He wanted to stay incognito.

He smiled, ' I am surprised you got up so early - '

' I sometimes woke up earlier. This day is one of them'

' It seems I finally realized why you left the feast so quickly without telling me. Probably you were tired. '

' I did not want to offense you,' she caught his irony,' but my place was not there ' That ' there ' was the Palace.

' I expected everything from you but not to be shy and modest woman. If your place is not there then who will stay there? ' She could see him smiling under the hood. But only his smile. During the whole conversation the hood made very difficult for Helena to see his face.

' You exaggerate. By the way is he better? ' The hint was clear - it perfectly explained the main reason for her presence in the Palace.

' He ... is well. You saw him. But I have not visited him today since it was too early. If there is any change, I will inform you. And yet I do hope he is better. I knew him as really energetic man and his place is definately not on the bed '

' Here I agree '

' And I think I should have paid you more attention. It was my fault I left you alone there. After all, I promised him to defend you. And I will ' No names were mentioned, no attention should be attracted.

' No you did not have to. Years and years I was fighting alone and I will continue in this way. I do not need anybody's protection '

' Both of us have common interests. To save him. It would be foolish to separate right now '

Helena hesitated for a moment. Was it better to decline such a help?

Alexius did not wait for her response, ' Actually, he asked me to bring you to him. Trust me. True, we have never been in good terms but the things has changed. I am not longer that arrogant brat I was. And he forgave me and I promised I will do everything for him. Why do you decline my help? '

' No, I did not decline your help,' she feared to refuse it,' I believe you and I accept it. You are right - I need allies'

' I am sure you will never feel sorry for this decision of yours. I will do everything to help you and protect you and he. Everything... Anything'

At this time they passed the last wall of Mistra and they were in the outer city. People there were so poor, she thought. Naked children were playing in the dusty streets, desperate men were walking. It was good there were some soldiers around but were they enough? She noticed Alexius kept his hand on the hilt of his sword and the other guards, both his and hers were doing the same. Their conversation also died. The next mometns were filled with tension. She wondered if somebody of these poor creatures had recongized her or Alexius and if they had not what would have happened if they did. Alexius was popular but the crowd was notorious with its changing temper. And who knew probably there were accidents with the mercenaries and probably it was Alexius who was blamed... And suddenly she saw a very old woman, probably in her fifties: her hair was white and her wrinkles were so deep. And she was so dirty. Probably there was a time she was adored by men and her now sad and tired eyes were happy. The sight made her skin crawl and then she sweared never to use this cursed way. She preferred the narrow streets blocked by carriages than the horror she saw.

It was over. They had left the city. Finally she could breath air free from the reek of the poverty. Suddenly she heard Alexius. He was laughing.

' Believe me, I was really scared,' he said removing the hood from his head. ' I do wonder how we looked in the eyes of these people. Ten scared silent strangers - '

' It is not funny. These people were poor - '

' I know,' he slowly stopped laughing, ' I know. But I could not stop it. You are right, the poor had always been a problem. My father tried to ease their life but in vain. I really doubt somebody will be able to do something for these poor human beings. However, if I had the opportunity, I would have helped them '

' Talking of opportunity, do you have any plans for staying in Mistra? '

' I still do not know, Helena. Most probably I will go back in Constantinople to graduate there. You may be know I left the university because of the war '

' Actually, I always wondered why you did so... Did your father send you there? '

' On the opposite. The decision was entirely mine. I was bored of my bad temper and my lavish style at that time. And I decided to do something more valuable for the Empire. And my father even needed time to accept it'

' Your father was against it! It is hard to believe it. I still remember how much he criticized Manuel because of his refusal to join the army '

' Actually, I think you are also wrong here. Even if Manuel had wanted, my father would not have allowed him. He was very harsh with him, probably because he doubted his loyalty '

' But Manuel - '

' I know. He is a good man but my father, may he rest in peace, was very suspicious. It is not a surprise since he had survived several attempts of assassination and nowaday children often betray their fathers '

' You really do not believe Manuel - '

' Of course not, Helena. My brother has many drawbacks but he is not a murderer. However, Helena, my father was also not as dark as some people used to portray him. True, he never showed his love towards us but deep inside he was very sensitive person. I know the death of my mother shattered him. And in his career he thought first of the Empire and then of himself. Such a virtue is getting more and more rare nowadays, unfortunately. I loved my father for I saw things the others could not. Actually, will you attend my father's funeral?

' I do not know. My place is not there'

' I insist, Helena. He deserves it '

There was a request in his eyes. Request it was hard to decline without offending him. He was aristocrat from the upper nobility, a real one. His manners, his expression, his sight... She looked aside, she needed to concentrate. Of course, Nicephorus did not deserve it especially after all he had done to her. But she could not refuse.

' Probably you are right. He deserves it. I will attend his funeral, ' And probably I might see Manuel, she secretly thought. ' After all we should be merciful to these who are no longer alive '

' Thank you, Helena. I will never forget it. And I will ever respect you only for this'

' You flatter me, Kirr - '

' Leave the formalities for the court. Call me Alexius '

' As you wish '

' No, Helena, it is your choice. But these formalities, the etiquette... They are good but often it is unbearable. You sometimes dream to have more simple life. This is the reason I want to be in disguise on rare occasions. '

' You know, I am not an aristocrat but I feel the same '

' No, Helena, you are. You are a hetaira. And this is also a responsibilty. But now I prefer to forget about our responsibilities and to have a nice walk... just like two old friends'

---------------------------------------

Today I am really happy since the Bulgarian nurses and the Palestinian physician are finally free!!! At the end I was really sceptic thinking this will end no sooner than year...

In my last post I forgot to say some things, I wanted to mention. I think most of you have recognized the hetairas and geishas are very close. It is a historical fact, both of them should play music well ( I know, I know, there is not such a scene with Helena yet) but the hetairas were not so inaccessible.

Edited: In one of my first posts, the beginning of Chapter II, I made a small mistake concerning the name of Maria. Finally, this mistake is corrected. And I will update my Dramatis Personae above.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 07-24-2007 at 13:07. Reason: Adding the title of the chapter
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

Great stuff! I only started reading this recently and haven't gotten too far yet (the first post about Richard), but there are way too few comments in this thread IMHO. I don't know if you've read The Brothers Karamazov by Dostojevskij, but at least I see a clear resemblance between Manuel Doukas and Dmitrij Karamazov (I haven't read it all yet, and I am not aware if Manuel is actually guilty of parricide or not, or if this has even been revealed in the story).
    To add some, hopefully, constructive criticism to this post I must say your English has improved vastly since the first posts. I am not a native speaker myself and perhaps a British person would notice more than I do, but it's definitely improving

Also, it might just be me, but I'm having a little trouble with the punctuation of dialogue. You seem to leave a blank space between the ´ (I really can't remember the name of the sign) and the actual text. Also, a single ` instead of quotation marks (") makes it kind of difficult to notice where the dialogue ends (whenever there's a ' after "Nicephorus" or "Kosmas" I get confused).

And finally, good job on the dramatis personae, it helps a lot
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Innocentius
    Great stuff! I only started reading this recently and haven't gotten too far yet (the first post about Richard), but there are way too few comments in this thread IMHO. I don't know if you've read The Brothers Karamazov by Dostojevskij, but at least I see a clear resemblance between Manuel Doukas and Dmitrij Karamazov (I haven't read it all yet, and I am not aware if Manuel is actually guilty of parricide or not, or if this has even been revealed in the story).
    To add some, hopefully, constructive criticism to this post I must say your English has improved vastly since the first posts. I am not a native speaker myself and perhaps a British person would notice more than I do, but it's definitely improving

Also, it might just be me, but I'm having a little trouble with the punctuation of dialogue. You seem to leave a blank space between the ´ (I really can't remember the name of the sign) and the actual text. Also, a single ` instead of quotation marks (") makes it kind of difficult to notice where the dialogue ends (whenever there's a ' after "Nicephorus" or "Kosmas" I get confused).

And finally, good job on the dramatis personae, it helps a lot
    Thank you, Innocentius. First, I will start to use " instead of ' , if it will benefit the reader .

Actually, I have not read " Brothers Karamasovs " which is a miss for me. But I've just wondered what to read so I will soon .

Good reading and don't forget to tell me when you read the last published post!

Hm, Richard... He will disappear for some time from my posts only to appear in one of the next. But he is interesting character...
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 07-26-2007 at 09:34.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Today I am really happy since the Bulgarian nurses and the Palestinian physician are finally free!!! At the end I was really sceptic
    thinking this will end no sooner than year...

Blog Entries

The crowd was shouting, they wanted him dead. The fear had overcome him. He wanted to defend himself and to say a few words in his support but his throat was so dry he could only whisper. His destiny was sealed, the guards were guarding him well. He knew he had to make a step further. But he could not. They pushed him toward the scaffold where the executor waited. He fell on his knees. However, he did not want to put his head on the log. So they forced him. His hands were tied and he was trying to fight. Suddenly he stopped. It was useless. It would only increase his agony. So he waited. He could feel the axe had just been raised by the executor. One more moment. One last breath. And then pain and ...darkness.

" No, " Manuel screamed as he woke up. He did not want to die. He was too young. And he was not a criminal. Suddenly he felt the headache again. He was told his condition was improving really fast. But it was not fast enough. True, he was no longer sick, he had overcome his original disorientation. But he was still on his bed. And he was a prisoner. Nobody would let him ride or even walk outside this cursed solar. It was hard even to see Helena... He missed her... He missed her soft voice... And here it was so silent.

He knew there had been a feast in memory of his father. Probably it was the reaon this part of the Place to be so quiet. All were tired and sleeping, he was in oblivion. All but Constantine... and Helena. This brought him some comfort to him. But it was not enough! He wanted to see the sky and the world outiside this solar. He wanted to taste his freedom that now was only a sweet and painful memory. He forced his muscles and rose from the bed. Then he stepped on the floor. The headache increased. But he ignored it staring at the opened window. There it was - the beauty of Morea. He saw the high mountains, the thick forsests, some parts of Mistra and its fortifications. For a moment he wished to be born here. It was the heaven. He breathed.

However, the headache was weakening his power. He bent on the sill of the window. He had to go back to the bed. But he was too weak for it. Then somebody entered in the room.

" Manuel, " he heard a familiar voice, " What are you doing? " Then as something hit him and he could feel him falling. But two strong hands caught him and helped him go bed. " I told you are too weak! Never do this again, Manuel! "

" I know, Constantine "

' You always know but never listen, Manuel ! ' Then Constantine looked at the door where two guards were waiting. They understood the sign and wnet out. Then Constantine went to the door to check whether it was really closed and then to the window. He closed the shutters and took the single stool in the room and sat on it staring at Manuel.

" How are you? "

" I feel dizzle, my head is so heavy and I have a terrible headache "

" Are you still sick? "

" No, Constantine, I am not "

" This is good. Any other problems? "

" I still can not remember everything... "

" I know. Others? "

" Fortunately not "

" I see a big future for you, Manuel, " Constantine said in perfect Italian. They had an arrangement to speak in foreign lamnguage. The door and the walls were thick but the stakes were high. Few in Mistra knew Italian. Manuel was lucky to have a teacher like Constantine: the steward knew six languages: Italian, Latin, French, both written and spoken, and could speak Slavic languages, Turkish and to understand Arabian. Unfortunately Manuel was an obstinate student and learned only the first three.

" How was the conversation with the judge? " Constantine continued

" Conversation? You must be joking, Constantine. It was a real examination, "

" I warned you," Constantine smiled. " I hope you have kept your temper under control "

" I think I did "

" I hope so, Manuel. Many people distrust the judge since he was an enemy of your father. I do hope his loyalty is stronger but, you know, Manuel - '

" Why did you arrange that meeting with me, Constantine "

" You know the answer, Manuel. There was no governor in Mistra and I wanted to demonstrate you did not fear him because you are not guilty, Manuel "

" I see. But this man... is very strange. I think he has too many memories connected - "

" With his cousin. Yes, Manuel, this is true. They were very different, they often quarreled and from the first sight they hated each other. But it was not true. I think the judge wanted to protect his cousin... "

" Do you mean... from my father? "

" I really doubt your father killed him... I do not see a good reason. But the judge distrust Nicephorus and it was not surprising he blamed him for the death of his cousin "

" How did his cousin died? "

" In an accident, Manuel. He went to ride one spring night. It was raining. Probably his horse have been scared by the flashes. I do not know exactly what happened, I do not know why he had gone so late. But his body was found the next day. He had fallen from the cliffs. And I have rarely seen your father in such a grief "

" Constantine, I prefer we do not talk about my father. I know you are loyal to him but I hated him - "

" You should not. Or at least you should never show it. You must respect him. He is your father and he is dead. " Constantine made a deliberate pause as to enhance his request. Then he continued, " And I am loyal to the Doukas family, Manuel. Not only to him but also to you. Whatever happens I will stand behind you. Do not ask me why but I will... But you did not tell me anything about your conversation with the judge. I need details "

" As you predicted he asked me about my father and mother. And also for my brother and my sister. And for you, Constantine "

Constantine smiled, " Sometimes our judge is very predictable. But I need details "

It took some time Manuel to explain what Constantine needed. Constantine was listening to him carefully and from time to time Manuel saw shades on his face. But as a whole his face showed no hints of his feelings only the fact he was thinking. When Manuel finished he felt like he was the pupil waiting for the mark his teacher would give to him.

" Good. From what I heard you fulfilled your task. Sometimes it is good to be not so convincing, Manuel. I can even say you could have won his sympathy... But I am still far from the thought he is a friend. He have to be handled carefully "

" Handled? He did not really look easily manipulative... "

" He is not and should not, though he has his weaknesses... like you... and like me, Manuel. But as I said you did your work really well "

" You exaggerate "

" You know me: I never exaggerate. But you are lucky: the others use their abilities for hiding the truth while you to expose it better. And many people doubt you are guilty which improves your position even more "

" What about the evidence? "

" The evidence... You have to be patinet. It is serious but still not very convincing. I am sure they will look for more. And I am sure they will... so do not worry " It sounded like " I will... so do not worry "

" But if the murderers of my father decide to hide it and use me as a scapegoat? "

" I think this was the original plan. But it seemed they acted quite hastily and I am sure they have made a mistake And I will do everything so that they pay for it. And you will have your freedom "

Constantine was a man Manuel really trusted. But again Manuel was not given much time to consider the hopes Constantine was giving to him. The steward had jumped on another topic.

" There is something more... "

As Manuel heard these words he expected to be told about Helena. This was the only thing he disagreed with the steward. Constantine never liked her, though he had tolerated their affair. But he knew what his words would be about... " She is a woman and you must be careful with her. The women can be dangerous" Or had something bad happened with her?

" I wonder if you will attend your father and to witness your loyalty to him? "

" I doubt it, Constantine. I hate him and i have never tried to hide it. And to attend his funeral would be too much. I am not a hypocrite "

" I did not say you will attend his funeral. You are a prisoner and there are people who are your enemies. I will not take the risk to take you out of this safe place. At least not on such an occasion. I have just wondered if you will see your father for a last time? The good manners - "

" I am not a hypocrite - "

" Once again you misinterpret my words. I was talking about the good manners. The noblemen"

" I do not care. These are snobs and I hate them "

" You do not believe your own words, Manuel. You will have to attend your father for one last time. The good manners demand it "

" Then the good manners are hypocratic "

" Many years ago I reached to the same conclusion, " Constantine smiled, " And yet these keep the order in the Empire. Take the Imperial ceremonil: quite boring for somebody who is a member of the court. But it gives a strength to the word of the Emperor and in many cases it managed to persuade our enemies into giving up their plans. And imagine what would have happened if the noblemen were sincere each other. I am sure the nobility will extermineat itself. What you will do is not to surprise anybody but it will just strengthen your positition. For when you go out of this mess, you will need a good reputation "

Manuel's irritation slowly disappeared. There was something in the voice of Constantine that make him relax. Probably it was becuase the steward often had helped him in the scandlas with his father giving advices what to say and how to behave. Ands in most of the cases if it did not help, at least he calmed his father. Constantine looked also invincible which made him trustworthy even when everything was falling apart. Manuel knew he had gone too far and the words he had just said was result not of his mind but of his (inat) and refusal to accept the unpleasant truth. Constantine was right: if he wanted to survive, he would have to follow the customs of the Empire. TheRomans were conservative and snobs. And he was living in the Roman Empire. If he did not accept it, he would always be the scapegoat. And of course he did not want to admit his loss so fast and so easy. That as the reason to be a bit rude and quite childish in his words.

" Enough! I will go. But I do it only because you insisted to do so - "

" Manuel, do it for yourself! The future of our country is in your hands, in the henads of your generation. Not in mine "

" You exaggerate "

" No, Manuel, I never exaggerate. One by one my genration will die and yours will replace us. And I believe in your abilities for I see things the others do not. And talking of belief, you will have to cope with another task. Continue to behave in this way. Remember, you have agood excuse that can defend you from unpleasant questions. But also do not forget: use this weapon carefully. Too much use can be dangerous in the future. But... now... they all know you are confused, that you have suffered an accident. And you have to plan your moves, to act carefully - "

" Constantine, you know, I am not of this part - "

" Nobody is, Manuel. Do not interrupt me, you do not have much time. Act carefully, plan your moves, parry the attacks. Use your position on special occasions, Manuel. Few times but when needed. Many people have a special sympathy for you, though they wish they had not, others will underestimate you. Use this time and gather experience. When you have a question, ask me. Ask me and we will find the answer. And finally... with the progress of time you will start to regain your memory, " shivers went down Manuel's spine, " when this happens i have to be the firts person to know about it. The first.. and probably the last... forget about Helena, about anybody... Your enemies have spies everywhere. I must be the first to know. Then we will discuss the situation. Your position is delicate but not hopeless. This is all. Some time ago you wanted to be part of the big policy. You already are. I know you are unprepared: this was the biggest mistake of you and your father. But I believe that you will do your task. And something more, Manuel. If you need me send me a message. Simple with no information but that you want to see me. Only this. Tell one of the servants that serve you here this and they will inform me. These are loyal to the Doukas family and especillay to you. This is all so far."

Constantine withdrew and gave the salver with the food. " Here is your breakfast, Manuel. And I do hope what happened in this room would stay a secret between you and me "

" I promise "

"Ah, I forgot, the substitute of your father Kirr Asen wished your fast recovering and he will see you. Be prepared "

" I am sure he will find me in a proper condition "

" Good, " Constantine smiled, " you have never abused my trust, Manuel "

In several moments the steward disappeared. Manuel was alone. Once again. The only person he really believed in had gone. Of course, somewhere outside was Helena... but she was a woman, weak woman.

_______

More reading
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast