Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Sorry, I will be a bit busy... I am sorry but it was not expected. As usual I give the worst possilbe date. The next chapter is important and I need some time to edit it. I also need some time to reflect on another scene and a bit on the plot. Otherwise I will continue to write whenever I have time left. Actually, I wrote one very interesting chapter about a certain character but it will appear later on.

Anyway, until 15th of September at latest you will have the pleasure to read my new updates.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

" I wonder who learnt you to ride, Helena," Alexius said as they got off their horses.

" Theodore, your brother, my own practice. Why do you ask, Alexius? " Of course she knew. He was flattering her. He was kind, probably too kind.

" You ride very well. " Alexius caressed his horse. You are very interesting person, Helena. Weird,too. I have to admit you are very different from the women I know. You are of that rare kind that prefer doing something sensible than wasting their time gossiping here and there - "

" From the beginning of our meeting you did not stop flattering me - "

" I never flatter. It is the truth "

" No, Alexius. You overestimate me. "

" I see you are tying to be modest, Helena. But it does not suit you. It will suit better to me. Handsome, clever, rich and modest aristocrat... "

Alexius had just tried to escape with a joke. It was a cliche but in a friendly surrounding it worked. Some moments ago it would have.

Helena smiled skilfully " Especially modest, Alexius "

" Helena, you disappoint me " He approached her staring at her eyes. She felt the strength of his sight but it was not sharp as Nicephorus' eyes were. There was something mild, resembling his mother. " I expected you to collapse dying by the lauhgter my extremely original joke caused "

" Ha-ha-ha." She produced virtually fake laughter. " Is this enough? " Helena asked continuing to play Alexius' game. She knew the appropriate time would come soon and probably she would keep Alexius as a friend

" No "

They both laughed. But she sensed she would not play her role very long. Alexius would soon realize she was worried.

" You know this is old and stupid joke, Alexius, " she smiled almost laughing, " And yet you made me laugh, though when I got up I have no idea somebody would ever make me laugh... "

" I will never let my brother die, Helena " He was serious. And there was something in his eyes that made her blood turn into ice " I know you love him. You have no reason to hide it. Of course there will be rumours about our meeting when some gossips learn but this will be just rumours, " his sight slowly became milder though he never gained his previous warmth.

" I did not mean to hide it. It is well-known - "

" I fear you, Helena. However, I understand you. Years ago I was really bad. Now I will need years to win the trust of the people. No, Helena, I do not talk about the ordinary people, I know they love me because I am a son of my father. I meant the people like you and my brother "

" I think you are too harsh towards yourself "

" I am not. I have many moral debts. Especially to my own brother. I will help you. I will continue to help you. Trust me and you will not feel sorry "

" Thank you, Alexius" she barely said.

I told you, it is quite short. It is just a sign the story is in progress. I will type the other part as soon as possilbe.

I am not sure if I have done my job very well. Any comments on the "humour" .
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 10-03-2007 at 09:06.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Soon after she and Alexius separated she chose another route which would allow her to see the mercenary camp. She liked reading about ancient battles and she even kept a very expensive book of the war strategy - a gift from Manuel. Theodore, the innkeeper often said if she were a man, she would be very good general. But she was a woman and although a hetaira her place was not close to the savage soldiers bought for money. Yet her horse was fast, her guards skilful... But accidents happened from time to time especially to those who had not fast horses and skilful guards - the people who were living in the outer city often suffered. True, measures were taken but... who knows...

The closer she was getting to the camp, the more clear its image was getting. And something was happening there. However, she could not see well. It was risky to go so close to the mercenaries but her desire was strong. She climbed on the local hill and peered at the distance. In vain. She sighed, cursing in her mind... and this was all. She knew she had to go. And she would when.

" Helena, riders " Helena turned back. Riders, clad in black, were galloping towards them. She could see their armour reflecting the sun. But it seemed her sight made them slower down their pace and stop on a safe distance. Then one of them waved,

" Beautiful Lady, " she heard a familiar voice. She raised her arm as she was inviting him.

Soon Alexius and his guards approached her. It seemed somebody worked very hard to make them together. However, was it the Devil or a God's angel? It seemed Alexius liked her but she was not sure how much. Was it because he had never really known his brother's mistress or was it just infatuation? Or was it something deeper? And would his feelings be an obstacle for him to help his brtoher?

" It seems it is hard for us to separate from each other. When you left me, " it sounded as he was reproaching her! Probalby he did not want to offense her, probably he was joking... or he had dropped a word revealing his true feelings..." I decided to see my soldiers but - I saw you here. You were watching at the camp, weren't you? "

" Not exactly, Alexius... In fact I was resting here for a while"

" I see. But although you were passing by and I absolutely coincidently saw you her while resting... If you wish, you may come with me "

" Alexius, I am not very sure - "

" I am "

She was trapped. She could decline but probably she would offense an ally. And her chance was unique. Nobody else, including Manuel had ever done this for her. Probably he was afraid for her too much. And she had to admit there was a reason why. And she knew few or nothing about Alexius. Probably this would give her a chance to know him better... She did not hesitated much.

The more they approached the camp, the clearer its image was getting. She realized what was happening there. There was a swordsfight. What was more interesting: the both of the fighters were Western mercenaries. She had heard about the tournament of the Western knights. If this was beautiful what would have been if two noblemen on their horses clashed? She had nothing against attending such an event. However, she knew this was a different world. A world ruled by the heretical Pope and cruelty. Years ago the knights pillaged Constantinople and slaughtered its inhabitants not sparing even the infants. Then they established their fake and Empire that was so weak and cursed that managed to exist only a little more than fifty years. But they established the separationism, the fatal illness of the Empire. For before that all obeyed to the Emperor while now every stronger dynatoi was looking forward to tear more flesh from the Empire. The fact there were no tournaments in the Empire was not a coincidence. The Romans were not so bound to their families as the Western knights, their family was the Empire, their common blood their religion. And they were people of culture, people who did culture. They had their origins in two great civilizations - the Greek and the Roman and they were the chosen to spread the real Christianity amongst the Northern barbarians : Bulgarians, Serbs, Russians. They were the Empire, the Empire of Jesus.

And yet it was hard for Helena not to admire to the foreigners who were so skilful in their craft. The first, who had short brown hair, short beard and moustaches, was more active, and definately faster than his opponent. The latter, well-shaven man with red hair only seemed to be defensive - he skilfully fighted off the attacks of the brownhaired but made several good counterattcks. Helena had the strange feeling she had met him before, though she could not remember where exactly. In the Palace? It was possilbe since Demetrius Raoul had close relations with the Western mercenaries and some of his guards were Franks indeed. In the house of the Doukas? No, it was less probable, at the time she entered there it was almost empty... Damned it!

Then she heard the clashing swords and stared at the fighters. Each of them was pressing the other's sword towards his opponent's body trying to gain advantage. For a moment Helena stopped breathing: she rarely witnessed fight like this . Was it possible for the foreigners to have recognized the son of the Nicephorus amongst the crowd? She even thought she had heard the name of Alexius... Or was she wrong?

At the same time Alexius was close enough and she could hear his comments well, despite the shouts of the crowd. It seemed he favoured the opponent of the brownhaired Catalan who turned out to be English. Finally this helped her remember where she saw the red-haired: in the inn, the day Nicephorus was found dead. How on earth she did not remembered it earlier!

Then the Catalan started another attack. The Englidshmen managed to block it and to slash the air with his sword. The brownhaired stepped back and stroke. The blow was so heavy the English dropped his sword and fell on the ground. Then the Catalan stepped on his sword. It seemed the duel was over. But the English did not think so: he drew his dagger from his left boot ready to fight. The Catalan smiled and stared at Alexius. She turned back only to see the Nicephorus' son smiling at him. The Catalan stepped back giving the sword back to the Englishman. It was enough for the redhaired to crawl and to take it. Nothing like this happened. The English rose holding only his dagger in a strong grip. All become silent. Then Alexius went out of the crowd and spoke in the foreign language of the Franks. Helena could not understand a single word but she need not to : the duel was over.

A man-at-arms, a high ranked one approached Alexius. Alexius told him something, the officer nodded. Then the Nicephorus' son turned back. The words were needless - he was inviting her to come with him. She felt many eyes were staring at her. But she was not of the women who would blush. She was used to men's attention, she was taught to. She approached them. The officer was in his early fifties but looked older than his years. His hair and beard were almost white and there were many furrows on his forehead and between his eyes. And his sight... it was full with hostility.

" Kirra Helena, this is Kirr Stephen Argyrus, the commander of the soldiers I came with. He is very good soldiers, I have to admit he was one of the best commanders I have ever met "

" You exaggerate, Kirr Doukas, " the man said drily. " I just serve my duty "

" Kirr Argyrus is too modest, Kirra Helena. Kirr Argyrus, " he moved his eyes on him, " This is Kirra Helena Theodorina, a noble lady that is my guest here in Mistra "

" It is pleasure to meet you, Kirra Theodorina. " The manners of the court were not very typical for this man hardened during wars against Serbs, Bulgarians, Catalans, Turks and he hardly hided his disapproving of taking woman here in the camp. Contrary to what many would have said if had the chance to hear and understand this conversation, Kirr Argirus had a large library, good family and gave part of his treasure for charity and to the local monasteries. He was also familiar with the etiqutte of the high ranked nolbemen like him. But he hated the court and its intrigues and blamed the courtiers for the catastrophies in the Empire like the Grand Catalan campaign and the loss of many territories in Minor Asia.

" Thank you, Kirr Argyrus " Helena smiled. Kirr Argyrus looked aside, escaping her eyes and offered to Alexius to go on a place more suitable for discussion. Alexius agreed.

They sat on the carpets that Argyrus ordered for his guests. She noticed they were Roman not imported by the Italians - Argyrus strictly kept the orders of the Emperor to be used local production. Thus the local economy would florish like the Lascarids times and the Roman gold would stop leaking from the Empire.

" I am sorry my tent is not very comfortable for high-ranked guests " Argyrus noted.

" There is no problem, Kirr Argyrus. I know you want to discuss something with us "

Kirr Argyrus kept silence as he was weighing his words. Then he looked at Alexius

" Yes, I noticed you were watching the mercenaries carefully. What do you think? "

Alexius smiled, " They are excellent soldiers. Some time ago I told you I am looking forward a good soldier and I think I have found him "

" Who? "

" I want to hear you, Kirr Argyrus and Kirra Helena first. I have somebody in mind but I need your opinion, too "

Kirr Argyrus stared at the ground. He was a skilful soldier, not a skilful courtier. Unlike Nicephorus and Constantine he could not hide his emotions well. He knew it and now was avoided any contact with the eyes of his interlocutors. But Helena did not need to see his eyes to know what he was thinking. The Romans were conservative and the proper place of the woman was in the family pregnant or close to the children. True, there were exceptions for the widows and the hetairas. But the proper place for this women was not in the army. And it was not comment so important issues.

" I am sorry, Kirr Doukas, such affairs does not concern any woman. I feel I lack the skills to judge well "

" You can not say that, Kirra Hellena. You must first try "

Alexius was staring at her. He waited for her answer. It was he, Alexius Comnenus Paleologus Doukas. who waited for her answer. And two human fates were put under its power. " Life is never as simple as it seems, my daughter " She remembered his words and her skin crawled. She knew it, she had been taught to it by the innkeeper, by the other hetairas, by her tutors. But it was one to know, second to be said and third to experience it. Nicephorus Doukas rarely restricted himself to simple words. He was too good at killing, at ordering to kill. And it seemed that the night in the Palace contained the secret message of the One who ruled the world and the Universe... There she also witnessed a duel arranged by the despot, there the weaker won, too. No, it was not the same. It was hard to judge who was better... The Englishman fighted well but lost. The Catalan won but his opponent seemed to be too tired and his movements were sometimes... strange. It was very hard. And if she was wrong... and if she was right... In the first she might harm Alexius a little, in the second to show good where she was not expected to be. That was the reason to decline the Alexius' offer at first.

She did not hesitated much. Her thinking was fast. The Catalan had won and probably he was better, and any woman would prefer the winner. But she did like the Englishman more. As a person, as a human being. Not as a lover. Her love was Manuel.

" Then I think it is clear. It was the Catalan who won, it should be the Catalan who deserves the price and the honour "

She looked at Alexius. His face was friendly but yet expressionless. And now he was looking at Argyrus. The officer did not looked surprised at all. If his face could speak with words only with its expression, it would say " Women "

" Kirra Theodorina is generally right, " she had to admit he tried his best not to offend her, " in most often than not the winner is better than his opponent. However, this case is slightly different, Kirra Theodorina. The opponents have almost the same experience and fancing skills. I have to admit there are things you can not know, Kirra Theodorina like the fact the Englishman clashed with several bandits and was hurt. Not badly but he was hurt. And the service under such a loyal and famous nobleman like Alexius Doukas is not just an award but a great responsibility. I know the Englishman slightly better than the Catalan, who I think is new for this lands. I know fact you, Kirra Theodorina are not aware of details there is no way to know. Therefore, I think the Englishman is more suitable for the case. "

Alexius Doukas was silent

____

Yet this part is not finished since it is quite long to be typed all. Well, some elucidation: Franks are synonim of Latins or Western mercenaries in total. It is not obligatory to be French, thoguh as you probably know the French was quite spreaded amongst the Western people esp. England and France.

And sorry for the delayal. I was a bit engaged in some real-life and fighting bloody battle in Ancient Japan.

P.S. Hope you have noticed the small update above in the beginning of October.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 10-12-2007 at 17:18.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Post Re: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Alexius Doukas was silent. His face was expressionless. He looked first at Argyrus and then at her. His sharp sight became milder, and the tightened muscles on his face seemed to have relaxed. He had made a decision. She knew the officer was more convincing and more experience than her, the simple woman. And he knew much more than her. Or her beauty would win, probably endangering Alexius himself. Did Alexius just liked her or something more than this... Did he love her? Would this unexpected love tear the alliance between the brothers? She would see, though she already knew the answer. She was already trapped. Then she heard the voice of Alexius

" I agree with both of you. The Catalan was better. It did not matter how little the English was hurt - he won. And I have seen many fights... both of them were good. On the other hand, I agree with everything Kirr Argyrus said: I will take both of them under mine service. Kirr Argyrus, you may call them in the Palace. I want to see them in order to discuss their new position. I thank you in advance, Kirr
    Argyrus "

" It would be an honor to help you, Kirr Doukas "

" What about the other part of our conversation... "

" Ah, the other part, " Argyrus almost looked surprised. He probably admitted his noble friend can be seduced by such a beautiful woman like her and is ready to do something foolish like commenting policy in her presence. Probably he admitted it and was prepared for it. But this was a little comfort for him. Of course, she could be spying for an enemy, she read his thoughts.

" Yes, Kirr Argyrus, could you tell me why did you call me here? "

" Kirr Doukas, the soldiers are eager to fight. Some of them more than the appropriate. They are mercenaries after all... "

" I thought all the safety measures were taken by Kirr Matsakes "

" Kirr Matsakes- he did his best but - "

" I know, my friend, it is very hard to control the mercenaries. But you should not worry, the war is coming... "

" Nothing is for sure, Kirr Doukas " Argyrus casted a criticizing look at Alexius " Your father always preferred the peace to the war - "

" But probably a better times have come for Morea. More glorious one. The war is coming, Kirr Argyrus and I am afraid it is inevitable. It was well-known by my father, it is well-known by the Prince of Achaia, and by Kirr Asen and his steward. So you are not to wait long. And since I do not want to make this army be a burden for Morea, I will pay it from my own treasure here in Morea. "

" Are you sure, Kirr Doukas? " Argyrus scrutinized him. Helena read his thoughts: are you doing all these to show how generous you are before this woman? I hope not, Alexius... He never expected a different answer from what he received.

" I am, Kirr Argyrus. The Empire needs it " He said and rose. Helena, the beautiful decoration of their conversation also followed him. The conversation was over.

------------

In the following hours Manuel was visited by Kosmas, his new physician and by the acting governor of Morea Andronicus Asen accompanied by Constantine Matsakes. The meeting with Kosmas was short and brought him the good news his condition was improving. The meeting with Andronicus Asen also went well. Unlike many of the Nicephorus' allies Andronicus Assen was almost in friendly terms with Manuel. Andronicus was trying to understand him, not to criticize him. Even after the failure of the marriage between Manuel and the Andronicus' eldest daughter, their relations stayed good. It also seemed they were good even now when Andronicus had lost his wife and had dramatically changed. Constantine was also there and the meeting went even smoother.

Now everything was over and Manuel was alone in his solar. And he was confused. Probably so many things had happened during the time he could not remember and probably the key of his salvation was buried deep in his memory. How much would he have to wait? And was there any hope? Then somebody opened the door. And then his visitor accompanied by a single guard entered into the room. The visitor was tall, blackhaired and wore expensive armour. Even if Constantine had not recognized the enemy of his father, he would have known he was to speak with very important person.

Demetrius Raoul excused himself for his unexpected visit and explained he had to talk about very important topic, which discussion can no longer be delayed. Then he put his helmet , decorated with white plumes on the table and Manuel expected he would sit on the stool near Manuel's bed. He did not. He only made few steps forward and said,

" Kirr Doukas, I do hope you are well. I do realize you are in a very delicate position... " The Megas Contostablos made a deliberate pause. He expected Manuel to answer " yes" and to give a sign he was ready to hear his message. Manuel thought there was no need to waste his words and simply nodded.

" I am happy to hear this, Kirr Doukas. I see you are recovering fast but I am not going to waste both mine and your precious time with useless words. However, I do not want to answer me now. There are too many ears here that do not deserve to learn anything from this conversation. " Raoul deliberately looked around then he again stared at Manuel. " The reason for my visit is to offer you my help "

Your help? Was the Megas Contostablos mocking him? He was an enemy of his father and he doubted Raoul would mind seeing his son, however useless he was, found guilty for high treason and parricide... Unless the right hand of Cantacuzenus had a different plan, which Manuel doubted to be less harmful.

" Kirr Raoul, I admit we have never been so close... I wonder... err.. what kind of help you mean? " He was almost ready to drop " does the death of my father have something in common with your visit, Kirr Raoul? " But it would have been too impolite and probably too dangerous for him being in this delicate position. Intuitively, Manuel looked at the guard who Manuel thought had seen before. Where? It was hard to say for he rarely paid attention to servants and guards.

" You have many enemies, Kirr Doukas. I believe you are not as shortsighted as you father was, may he rests in peace. Many enemies, Kirr Doukas. Should I remind to you, Kirr Nicephorus was killed by somebody he trusted? "

Manuel took it as a personal offense. Did this snake dare to blame him?

" What do you mean, Kirr Raoul? Should I think you believe to the tenuous " hints " for my guilt - " Manuel suddenly stopped himself before going too far. Manuel was sure Kirr Demetrius Raoul noticed his irritation and Manuel expected him to smile but his face stayed stiff

" No, Kirr Doukas, you misinterpret my words. I did not say you killed the despot but 'somebody he trusted' . As far as I remember you father did not trusted you much. I would say I was in the same position. My friends and I made numerous attempts to warn your late father but he did not listen to us. He could not believe his enemies were more among his friends than those he considered his enemies. I simply mean one particular person - "

" Who? " Manuel was irritated by the poisonous words of the Megas Contostablos and decided to interrupt this snake. Kirr Raoul was going too far. And yet deep inside he wanted to hear everything however absurd it was.

" I can not say this, Kirr Doukas. You know the walls are not as mute as they should be. But this man is very close to you as he was surprisingly close to your father and as he is to the present governor of Morea. People say he is extremely gifted man - not only a good steward but also excellent poisoner "

Aha, it was clear what you snake wanted! Go to hell!

" Do you have any proofs, Kirr Raoul? " Manuel tried to sound as calm as possible.

" He was the one responsible for your father's safety and your own. He failed in both of them which is not very typical for a gifted man like him "

" This does not prove anything, Kirr Raoul. And he has saved the life of my father "

" Only to cover his true intentions. Or maybe to have influence over the despot. Or at least people say so... "

" You mean you came here only to retell gossips? "

" People often exaggerate. And often they are wrong. But sometimes they are right " It was clear Raoul had not finished yet.

" Probably... "

" Yes, but sometimes they are logical, Kirr Doukas. I remembered you grandfather Alexius Doukas. Great man! Then I was barely ten years old but your father impressed me in a way I will never forget him. He was one of those people who showed that the true Roman blood is running in our veins. So strong both mentally and physically. But he died only a few months after the arrival of our friend in the family. Or what about your uncle whom you are named? Did he not died just a month after your father? Probably it is a coincidence - "

" It is, Kirr Raoul. I have never forgotten who saved my mother "

" Yes, your mother, but what about Lucas Matsakes who died during the ambush? And did our friend prevent the numerous accidents around Nicephorus? And the death of Dyogenes Branas? "

" Kirr Raoul, I think you overtrust the rumours of the people. People are often bad and envious... " And yet Manuel continued to hear Raoul's words in his ears. " Was not it too suspicious? Kirr Raoul, Constantine has been my mentor for years and I have to say his advices were always good..."

" I know. But did he improve the relations between you and your father? "

Manuel looked at the eyes of the megas contostablos. Raoul was the snake, the real enemy! He was trying to mislead him, to destroy the single ally he had!

" No, it was my fault, Kirr Raoul. Is this all you wanted to discuss with me? "

" I think it is enough... for today. I ask you to consider my offer... I know you are a victim and I know influential people to take you out of this complexed situation. And please take my warning under consideration. Do not take anybody for granted! The servants and the people you love are not pawns but have feelings and vices... I do hope, Kirr Manuel we will see each other soon " Demetrius Raoul took his gloves and helmet and went out of the room. He and his guard disappeared so fast that Manuel wondered if he was a phantom that went out of the hell to shatter the trust he had in the people around him.
    ----------------------

Well, I am back...
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Helena was already in the stable of her house. She was tired of the long ride but she was more realxed. The fact her problems only increased after the meeting with Alexius seemed not to concern her. But the ilusion was to fade away quickly. She calmed her horse and looked at the groom who had approached her. He was new but she had the feeling she had seen him before. Where, she asked herself? But it was hard for her to remember. Many people arrived and then left: noblemen, soldiers, servants, beggars. And then she was surprised where the old man responsible for the stables was. He had always come to welcome her. She knew he had no family. Or at least he preferred to leave it secret. The only thing she knew where his family died. And she was his family now. And in a way, she felt him like a father. Not in the way she felt Theodore, she respected him like father but love like father... It was not possible. Nicholas, the head groom, was different. She could share her fears with him. And he was to give her his male explanation. And his paternal advices. Then a horrible thought struck her: was it possible for her to have lost him, too?

She did not have much time to consider it. For when she gave the reins of her horse to the groom and was to head for the entrance she felt a small piece of paper in her hand. She looked at the expressionless face of the unknown. He looked at her hand and then at her.

For a moment Helena stayed panic-stricken - she did not know what to do. Then she realized he was waiting for her to make a decision. She opened the small paper and read

Any resistance is useless. Follow my messanger and do not try to cheat me. I only want to speak with you. In private. And in fact, I am to send you greetings from your freind Nicholas, who is currently my guest.

Your friend

Helena faced a dilemma: to follow the stranger or to leave her old friend on his fate. She looked at the messanger - did the " friend " wanted to kill her? She doubted it. If he did, he would simply order his agent do ht ejob. She was not difficult target despite her guards.

Then David entered in the stable passing by the stranger. A single glance on Helena make him realise
    there was a problem.

" Who is this man? " he asked and caught the hilt of his sword ready to drew the sword. Helena stopped him.

" The new groom. A friend who wants to show us something " She said as she crumpled up the piece of paper.

" Are you sure? " David moved his sight from the Helena's hand to the stranger and back. He did not look more relaxed by the Helena's explanation.

" I doubt he wants to harm us. If he wanted, I would have already been dead. We must follow him " She looked around. It seemed David was hesitating but the stranger... She read a discrete smile on his face.
    --------------

Constantine approached the church where his guards were waiting. Constantine passed them and entered in the sacred building. He felt the waft of incense and forced his senses. The church was checked but there could always be assassins lurking in the shadows. He even touched the knife on his belt ready to use it. But it was empty. He was only with the saints and they were all angered and critical. Constantine knew his preyers for salvation would not be heard and he would not be saved.

Was it the habbit, he asked himself. He seldom missed a day without a preyer. His mentor Loukas had implied him this was as important as fighting. " Your life, Constantine, will not be different from mine own. You will need your luck and the luck is nothing but a blessing of God "

He approached the nearest candlestick. He lighted his first candle and stood before the icon of St. Constantine and his mother St. Helena. These saints always helped him when he was young. And they even helped him after that , though he was no longer that innocent young boy but a man who had sold his soul to the Devil. Then a blasphemous thought came into his mind. Maybe it was the Devil who helped him? But there was no more humour in this words. He was no longer that young man. He had died.

Suddenly the burden of his sins grew and he collapsed. He knelt before the icon of St. Constantine and stared at the ground. Years and years he was struggling for place under the sun, years and years he was causing fear and pain because of his ambition. And even now in his preyers he was thinking only of himself and his selfishness! He had not come for this. It was neither the habit, nopr his pity for himself that make him be in this church right now. He closed his eyes and the world disappeared. He forgot about his allies about his enemies, about his victims. He tried to open his heart and to silent his mind. He was still human- being, he still had feelings and... he had kept part of his sould alive and innocent cheating even the Devil -

But then he felt he was not alone. The instinct of assassin would not leave him even here in the church. He left the preyers and stood up. He did not face him. He was not the Devil. But he was not a saint, either. But he was maybe his embassador. He was Kosmas.

Constantine loosened the grip over the hilt of his knife.

" Kosmas, what are you doing here my friend? " He tried to sound as freindly as possible but maybe he was scared. He knew Kosmas would interrupt him only if he had a good reason. " Is Manuel well? " he heard his voice saying.

" He is Constantine. And he is improving really fast. It is obvious he is a son of Anna, may she rests in peace. "

Constantine tried to smile but he felt the piercing sights of the saints in his rear. He realized he had broken the cannon and looked at the icons. He crossed himself and looked at the pile of candles he had dropped. The candle he had lighted was no longer burning. It was a warning, he thought. The dangerous life he had made him supersticious, though he never reached the extend Nicephorus was. He bowed and took them. He saw Kosmas also tried to help him but he had already finished when the old man reached him.

" Thank you, Kosmas but there is no need "

" I have not done anything, Constantine "

" You are once again modest. You did a lot. You healt Manuel "

" You exaggerate, Constantine "

" Not at all, Kosmas "

Kosmas looked at the ground and met the eyes of Constantine then. Constantine read determince that surprised even him. It seemed Komas had reflected long and hard on something. And now he had made his decision.

" I must speak with you, Constantine " Then after a difficult pause he said. " I am afraid I will not live much. I feel it Constantine "

" Kosmas - "

" No, Constantine, " Kosmas interrupted him. " I have decided. And I need your help. I want to enter in a monastery where to spend the few days that left for me "

Constantine was to say something but he stopped himself. It was useless. He had lost him. He remembered their first meeting many years ago. Kosmas and his son were lying on the ground surrounded by bandits. They were mocking them and were kicking them. Constantine and his guards intervened and saved them routing the bandits. Since them Kosmas become his friend and also won the trust of Nicephorus. This helped him enter in the court. But he stayed uncorrupted, which surprised everybody. But not Constantine. He knew people. And he knew this day would come. They had to separate.

" I will help you, my friend, " Constantine said. Then he approached the candlestick and lighted his candle. He put it on it and crossed.

_________

Well, I am not sure how well was everything but it seemed I have more time for writing near Christmas. I will see when my next update will be... Hope it is soon.

In fact, I have no dictionary right now including on my computer so I could not check if it the word was exactly "cannon" for religious rule.

Otherwise, I am happy for this up-date. The things are starting to move, they move slowly but... they move. In fact the lack of updates was because of my engagement in a particular Interactive. Finally, I started to miss my characters...
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 12-21-2007 at 18:07.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Helena and David followed the stranger to an inn. There she could be killed without attracting somebody's attention but she kept her temper under control. They entered in the inn who was full with various people most of whom looked very suspicious. She tried to hide her face under the hood since she did not want to be recognized. No hetaira had place here. Fortunately they soon reached the stairs and climbed to the second floor. Their guide stopped before a massive wooden door. Then he looked at Helena and said,

" You must continue alone "

Helena turned back and nodded to David who was not very happy to leave her alone. But they have no choice. Then she entered in the solar.

There were two people in the room. The first one was obviously a guard. and she concentrated on the master. She could not see his face - he had turned his back on her and was watching at the street.

" Welcome, Kira Helena, " the master said and turned back. She recognized the man who had met few days ago.

" Thank you, Kir Branas "

" I am sorry for the inconvenience but I was really intrigued by your personality. And I admit you did not disappoint me " Then he looked at the guard who bowed and went out.

" Now we are alone. And I am ready to hear the story of Nicephorus' agent "

" I can not understand what you, Kir Branas are talking about. I have seldom attended the Palace "

" It is not obligatory to meet the despot in the Palace. Kir Doukas had more discrete places. " The words of the judge casted a chill on her " I often know you have met Kir Matsakes. You can lie Manuel but not me "

" Kir Branas, I love him and I can not - "

" Kira Helena, you are a good actress but I advise you to try your skills somewhere else. If you really love Manuel you must give the missing pieces of the puzzle or I promise you he will soon die. The Emperor will not wait forever. He and his councillors need a scapegoat. "

" And is this how you demonstrate your good intentions, Kir Branas? By kidnapping my groom? And threatening Manuel? "

" Kira Helena, I will not harm Manuel. " The judge sounded slightly bored, though she knew he was pretending to be. " And your groom will live. I only needed him to make you come here. I am not the villain in this story " he calmly added.

" Then do you mean the villain is me - "

" I do not mean anything, Kira Helena Theodorina. And I have no time to waste. Time is running out. Manuel's time is running out. If you care, of course " He emphasized on his last words leaving his bored voice and the irony he hinted. He was now serious.

He was staring at her. He was scrutinizing her. He was waiting for her. She did not trust him and yet she doubted he would kill him What would he benefit from his death? And she hoped his fame was not just a myth created by the court in the way the myth of Nicephorus and that was Constantine was made. And what if he wanted to destroy Manuel? She met his eyes. She read determinacy. Probably determinacy to solve the case. She had no choice: he had revealed many things like her deal with Nicephorus and it was a matter of time to learn more. And yet the way he made her come here and her experience with politicians could not be ignored. She decided to say some things in order to hide more.

" This is true, I often met the despot. But I had no choice. "

" Was Manuel discussed on these meetings? "

" He was "

" What exactly Nicephorus wanted to know about his son? "

" Everything what was happening between us. But I was not very dedicated spy if you mean that "

" So you were not very sincere to him "

" Yes, there are things I did not mention to him "

Theophil Branas stayed silent and stared at the floor and then looked at Helena with his piercing sight

" Why?"

She felt she had to be very careful. She knew too much, she knew secrets which could cost her life. They already killed Manuel's mother despite her status and royal blood. But she gathered courage to face Branas " Manuel and his father had problems. manuel often shared with me how bad he was treated. I did not want to make the things worse "

" Were there any other secrets which might effect Nicephorus, Helena "

She tried to sound as convincing as possible,
    " No, Manuel will never harm his father. He was not a murderer "

" Then I presume your information for Nicephorus was useless - "

" Most probably it was "

" And yet you have often met each other "

" It was not so often. And fortunately there were not so many interesting things to be shared - "

" Your words have no logic, Kira Helena, " the judge scrutinized her " You did not shared everything but there was anything that worths learning - "

" I did not want to deteriorate the relations between father and son... Manuel was on the edge. I feared him. "

" What exactly you mean... saying on the edge? "

" Of being disinherited and probably worse. "

" Worse? " Of course the judge knew what she was talking about. But he was testing her. She put efforts to control herself. She was almost to shout at him " To finish like your cousin " but it would have been to much. Instead she simply said,

" I think Your Honour realizes what my words mean "

" Which means your words were important "

" Of course they were. I was his closest spy to Manuel. And Nicephorus was paranoid. He saw plots everywhere " She knew she was not very convincing but she could not do more.

" Good, Kira Helena. But do you know why Manuel hated his father? "

It seemed Theophil Branas had something in mind. But she was to give him another useless answer,

" Nicephorus was a tyrant. I think you know this better than me, " she stared at Theophil but she could read no emotion on his face.

" I do not know anything, Kira Helena. Why do you think Nicephorus was a tyrant "

" The fact he often hit his son and offensed him in any possible way "

" I see. But since you are silent for many things I will continue... And then Manuel decided to put end of this story and - "

" No, he is not a murderer! Do you think Manuel is a skilful schemer who will outsmart such a spymaster like Nicephorus? "

" Probably not. But nobody said he acted alone. Do you think he knew people ready to help him in such a deed? "

" No "

" But he promised to marry you... How would you interpret it, Kira Helena? "

How on earth he knew! she thought. Then she tried to concentrate but Theophil interrupted her,

" Answer my question, Kira Helena? "

" He would never marry me and you know it, Kir Branas "

" Because his father would not allow him - "

" No, because he could not take such responsibility. If Nicephorus was right about something in his son it was Manuel can not take responsibilities. "

She realized she had gone too far. She cast a furious look on the judge. He was attacking her where he knew it would hurt. She knew he would provoke her but sometimes he went too far. No, she went too far. She was a hetaira and she had to control the situation. At the same she heard his voice,

" Could you reply to my question, Kira Helena? "

" I could not hear the question, Kir Branas "

" I will repeat it, Kira Helena. Do you think he loved you? "

" I do and I love him,too "

" Then could you tell me about your rival Clyo? "

Helena expected this question from the very beginning of their conversation.

" Clyo was also in love with Manuel. However he chose me. I think this battered her and she never really recovered "

" When do you think you won? "

" It is hard to say, Kir Branas. But few weeks ago Clyo returned in the house. She was furious. I think she had tried to seduce Manuel but nothing had happened. "

" Are you sure this was the reason for her anger? Yes, I think so - " Then Helena stopped. She remembered something. That night Clyo returned had injured her finger. Then she did not pay much attention to this fact but now. Now she wondered what the reason for it might be. What if it was an important hint? She would not give a man whom he did not trusted such an advantage. " I can not see another reason for it "

Theophil Branas studied her. It seemed he suspected she was hiding something from him but he still hesitated. " But were you sure in your so called ' victory ' ? "

" Sure enough not to kill anybody, Kir Branas "
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Just in case you were wondering, I am still reading this. However, I haven't really got time to read it thoroughly again, so I cannot give any comments on it other than saying I still like it.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Blog Entries

Theophil saw Helena turning her back on him. She put the hood on her head and went out. She was beutiful, Theophil thoguht.And it was not surprising she had seduced Manuel. When asked about her first meeting with Manuel, she told him Manuel had chosen her. However, Theophil was sure it was just the opposite. Did she love him? He was not sure. Human feelings were complexed and he would not be surprised if she herself was not sure what exactly she felt. Or maybe there were no feelings but only passion for power... Did she sense Alexius was more prominent figure. It was hard to say. But she hads the potential to control the Nicephorus' heirs and she was the soul of the suspected. She knew some of his secrets if not all of them and most probably they wre not as harmless as Helena tried to present them. Nicephorus was dangerous man and had many secrets. His road to power was paved with ruined human lives and mysterious accidents. Was it possible for Manuel to have witnessed something that could ruin his life? Or probably worse... He was not sure. But he was confused man. Had Helena changed him? Did he love her? They were strange couple just like their surrounding, For most of the events in this affair were arranged. Clyo was also part of the plot. Somebody feared Helena's influence over Manuelotherwise Clyo would not be tolerated so much. Few things were certain but one of them was that Helena was important. Could she outsmart Nicephorus? She was vulnerable. Anyone who had enough power and money could reach her, her murder did not seem to be a difficult task. Or was it illusion? She was playing a dangerous game from the very beginning where she could be a hunter and the prey... or both of them. He would not miss any opportunity to study her. He had his ways.

He put his cloak and covered his head with his hood. Then he went out. His trusted guards were waiting for him. But he knew they were more than soldiers. They had helped him in many cases in one or another way. And now he needed them more than ever. Theophil was watched carefully by certain people and this often limited his actions. He had also managed to infiltrate a few of his men and had created small but effective spynetwork. And yet he felt out of place in Morea. It was the place where Nicephorus was born and it was his base in the end of his life. And Theophil never forgot how his cousin died. Dyogenes had also tried to go deep in Nicephorus secrets and was also lead by his good intentions. But he is different from him. He, Theophil Branas was lead by his duty whilst his cousin was enslaved by his passion for Nicphorus. And yet, was he not too harsh to Dyogenes? Were his intentions not good, too? And would he, the judge be fair when the time come? Would he fall under the power of the revenge he dreamt?

Theohpil tried to get rid of these thoughts and to concentrate on his present task. There would be enough time to consider his role in this case.

He had passed through the long corridor and he had reache the wetsern wing of the brothel. where the prostitutes lived and where they were often attended by their clients. It was hot, though it was late afternoon. As he was passing the rooms Theophil could even hear women's laughter and the voluptous moaning of the clients. Theophil had passed the time he would be tempted by such a place and went on. As he reached his aim, he knosked on the door. He hoped she was there. Otherwise, he was losing precious time.

He did not waited much - the door was opened and he was invited by good looking woman.

" Please enter "

Theophil entered and his trusted people followed him. The woman seemed to be slightly surprised but she put up with the presence of the guards

" What did the noble guests want? Would you like to be served separately or together? If so, I am ready to call - "

" Noble lady, " Theophil calmly said, " I did not come for my own pleasure> I came to ask you few questions about the accident with Manuel Doukas "

Now the woman was surprised, and it was more than the first time she saw them. It seemed his new friend the innkeeper did not tell her anything.

" I have already spoken with the officials. The steward Kir Constantine Matsakes - "

" I know but I have orders " Then he took out a parchment and showed it to her. She looked at it but then her sight stopped on the hand of Theophil who had just removed his glove. It seemed the double-head eagle of the ring impressed her far more than the parchment. But the effect was achieved - she had realized the situation is serious.

" I beg to be excused for the moderate furniture I have but... " She was right:the solar had no stools. The only furniture in it was the large bed " the guests can sit on the bed "

Theophil Branas kindly declined the offer for now he found the brothels to be quite disgusting places. Yet he let her sit and prepared to hear her story about what happend that day. As he was listening to her, he imagined how she was preparing for the day putting make-up on her face and combing her hair. Then Manuel had appeared storming into the room. Then everything was clear - he had paid her and they made love. Then he had left her. And then the accident had happened.

" Ephigenia," he used the name the innkeeper had used, " did you see something unusual before the accident? "

" Kir Branas, everything is unusual in a place like this. But there was nothing special that attracted my attention that day. "

" Did you know the attacker of Manuel"

Theophil saw her getting slightly pale

" I did but not very well. He was a drunkard and a brutal man. People said he hated the Doukas and often swore they will pay. However, he never said why he wanted their death and nobody really expected him to do something like that. When drunk people oftenspeak non-sense. And he was so pathetic. "

" Did the man have any family?"

" Who knows? He was not from Mistra. But he should not have been a peasant or at least parikoi. He had a rare talent as a blacksmith. I think if there was still purpose in his life it was his craft. He was in debts but he still had income. However, a month ago he stopped. It was only the mercy of several prostitutes that kept him in the inn. It was a matter of time to be thrown on the street. And then this happened. As I said we all were surprised " The woman tried to justify herself once again. She seemed to be even more pale. Theophil then asked her few additional questions and left the room. He did not want to fear her, she had told him enough for today. He was also short of time. Constantine Matsakes and Andronicus Assen were waiting for him.

-----------

This one is quite short when compared with the previous update. Yet I have quite a good reason for my delayal since i wanted to consider the next scene which I think is quite important. I am not very sure when the next post will be since I have quite a lot to study recently ( ). It is surprising I could do more than what I planned for today so that I could find some time to write this.

I do hope you will like this update. Yet I am absolutely sure the effect is not as good as I wished since my English is still not very suitable for writing a story. But in case you want to share anything with me, the thread is opened for comments.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Theophil entered into the solar and Constantine Matsakes followed him. There Theophil saw Andronicus Assen sitting on one of the three chairs which had been put near a small round table.

" Welcome, Kir Theophil, I am happy you accepted my invitation. Take a seat please "

" Thank you, Kir Assen "

" Do you want some drink, " the acting governor of Morea said to Theophil and pointed at the wine " It is very hot outside" However, Theophil declined the offer.

"Thank you but I am not thirsty "

" As you wish, my friend " Andronicus Assen looked at his left as to assure Constantine had already sat on his chair. Then he continued, "How does your investigation go? "

Theophil expected this question and simply explained, " It is progressing, Kir Assen. First, I went on the graveyard. I think we already discussed what I and Kir Matsakes found there. Then I went in the inn where Manuel was attacked. I spoke with the prostitute he had attended that day. I am afraid she did not say more than we expected "

" Good, " Andronicus Assen agreed and moved his sight on Constantine and then again on Theophil, " I absolutely trust both of you. But we are running out of time. I expect this case to be solved as quickly as possilbe "

Theophil knew it without being told. Since the death of Nicephorus everything had been changing and the struggle for the Doukas heritage had started. Brothers or not, Manuel and Alexius were rivals and even if there was love between them it would not last for long. Manuel was supported, Theophil was almost sure in this, by Constantine Matsakes and his faction, Alexius was backed by the faction of Demetrius Raoul and Michael Cantacuzenus. The simple reason for this was the two aristocrats wanted to oppose the most trusted man of Nicephorus who controlled many of the resources of the late despot. And the more Alexius was getting stonger, the weaker Constantine was. Theophil knew he was sent here to warn Nicephorus that his life is under threat. But it was too late. Now, when the latter is dead he knew he had to support Constantine. This position was full with irony and he really hoped Manuel was innocent. If he was not, the things were to get far more complexed. For he had always put the justice above everything. And he never forgot his cousin was not avenged.

" The case will be solved, Kir Assen, " Theophil assured him.

" I do hope so. For I start to fear there will be more murders "

" I do not exclude this, " Theophil said, " but I believe the murderers will be caught soon. "

" And I have taken all the measures so that this does not happen " Constantine Matsakes also interferred. In other circumstances he would have been surprised by such a favourable attitude but now he knew both Constantine and Andronicus Assen wanted to speak with him on matters which had little to do with the security. The game they were playing now was only the introduction.

Andronicus Assen stared at him. There were two scenarios and both of them began in this way. This investigation was the deed of his life. The death of Dyogenes changed his life and he had chosen to be a judge because of him. It was even hard to think he may lose the case. He used all of his will to hide his excitement and prepared for what would follow.

He did not wait for long though he felt it as it took years for the governor to speak.

" Kir Branas, I would like to discuss a special problem. I mean your investigation on Manuel. I do not mean the simple facts but as a whole. Tell me, my friend, do you think the boy is guilty? "

Theophil did not hesitated much. In other circumstances he would never give any opinions on the case before its final solution but now it was different. One wrong step and he might lose the case.

" I do not. But it is still too early - " He could not finish since Andronicus interrupted him

" Good. Then I presume you are ready to help us to help the boy at this stage... " He had won. One was for sure - he was to stay as a chief investigator on the case. Theophil forced himslef to keep his emotions under control and forced to hear the rest of the Andronicus' request. " I mean to give him a chance to survive, " the governor continued. " Of course, if the boy is guilty - He will pay "

Theophil sipped some wine and drank a little. He put it on the table and looked at Andronicus which was the sign of the latter to continue.

" As you probably know the trial will be in Constantinople. The Emperor will choose the judges. I do believe his Imperial Majesty has good intentions but many of the people close to him do not. They simply prefer the beauty of the gold to something as abstract as the justice. And it does not matter they are supreme judges "

" I start to understand, Kir Assen "

" I have no intention to give Manuel to the people who had sold their soul for silver and gold. Thus I need your influence over the Emperor. The advisors of the Emperor may be strong but if we stay united we can restore the justice on these lands. "

Well said. The idea was not his but Andronicus played his role well.
    " It seems you have a plan, Kir Assen... "

" I do. We must ask the Emperor to delay the trial of Manuel. He must be left with the implication there are no proofs and that this will harm the prestige of one of the oldest families in the Empire. Thus the corrupted judges can be avoided and the case resolved right here in Morea. Depending on what we will find here, the trial can even be avoided, Kir Branas. Otherwise, the case is to become highly political and policy often has nothing to do with justice. "

So this was the plan of Constantine Matsakes. Kir Assen offered him a deal - to continue the investigation but to use his influence over the Emperor. Constantine was ready to allow him to look into the world of Nicephorus but he wanted the price to be paid. He wanted Manuel. Why? Did he feel lonely and treated Manuel as his own son? Or were there more practical thoughts in the head of Constantine? Manuel, the heir of the Doukas was a dangerous weapon and Constantine had no intention to leave it without fight. And Matsakes relied on his sense of duty. He also used the fact he sympathized the faction of the Michael the Ninth who was one of the allies of Nicephorus. And Matsakes wanted to avoid or at least to delay a political trial. There was a high chance to lose it.

Theophil knew he would be used but... this was an unique chance to learn more about the man who killed his cousin. To learn more about the political and the personal life of Nicephorus Doukas. And he felt sympathy towards the son of Anna... the boy did not deserve to die like a criminal.

" I accept, Kir Assen," and he looked at Constantine.

-------

Done. Short but important. Well, looking from the distance of time it was good to give no dates for the next update. I have a successful ( ) but very tiring exam session. Anyway, it'll be good if I shut my mouth and continue to work hard. In fact yesterday night I wrote the next scenes which are... I'll only tell you they are quite important for the story... But patience is a virtue.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Err, sorry, I failed. No, I do not give up the story but I could not write all of the up date. Since I am quite busy and I have wasted my time today and the up-date will be postponed until the week after the next week. I may be ready earlier but I do not promise.

By the way, does anybody still read it? Any expectations from the next update ( I mean apart from being written faster)?
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 02-29-2008 at 20:28.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Still here, although I am wondering if I am the only one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    Still here, although I am wondering if I am the only one.
    Thank you, Ludens. I am happy there is still somebody who reads it. My up-dates have got quite slow recently and I've been quite busy this week. And my English could be improved. Well, this is not going to happen without much efforts.

The new update is half typed and saved but I still do not have much time to concentrate on it. Yet I am determined to post it during the following week. The deadline is the next Friday, 28of March.

This post will be edited then.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 03-23-2008 at 17:09.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Ugh. I'm sorry I didn't comment on this sooner, our resident critic-guy also known as Ludens is missing due to real life issues so Tamur and I have been doing our best to cover. Well, Tamur sorta-semi is busy with real life stuff too! So I guess you could say I am the only guy around with nothing better to do than read stuff in here

Still. I've read over the first few posts and really like what I see so far, hope you continue this though in the meantime. We are reading!
    Last edited by Monk; 03-23-2008 at 16:11.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    Ugh. I'm sorry I didn't comment on this sooner, our resident critic-guy also known as Ludens is missing due to real life issues so Tamur and I have been doing our best to cover. Well, Tamur sorta-semi is busy with real life stuff too! So I guess you could say I am the only guy around with nothing better to do than read stuff in here

Still. I've read over the first few posts and really like what I see so far, hope you continue this though in the meantime. We are reading!
    Thanks, in fact, I have some problems... Like crashing my glasses and having problems with my computer ( I think this time I'll have to buy a new one)... and I've a flu (my head). All in all everything is happening just to prevent this story from writing. Another "excuse" is my preoccupation with the Interactive history I participate... I'm working on the story plot is develping but it is wating for good time to be written . But certainly this story is not in a good period. Don't worry I have not lost any hope... Whilst there is even one men to read it, this story will continue.

Sorry for the dealyal. In fact this is one of the few times I've broken my promise. I beg to be ecused.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

It was dark. The third day since the death of the despot had passed. In the graveyard of Mistra two shadows were moving to an unknown direction. But there was something extraordinary in this ghosts - they could speak.

" Be careful! " The taller shadow said and helped the other to vault over the ruined tombstone.

"Thank you, Dave, " the second shadow said as it stepped on the weedy path. " Where is it? " her female voice added.

" He said... " the first hooded figure turned around " it must be here. We passed the large cypress. But there are so many graves, it is hard to find it. "

" I think we did. Look! " The second shadow stretched her arm and pointed at a grave who had just been dug.

" Damned it! I was only few feets from it. It's good you are not as observant as I am. "

" Good. Give me the spade then, " the woman whispered.

" You are a hetaira - "

" Now it does not matter. Who knows what will happen if someone sees us. Give it to me. "

" I do not think - "

" Give me a spade, Dave! We have taken two and we are running out of time "

The voice of the woman was too imperious. Few men would bear such a woman. But the man obbeyed and gave her the object. Then they approached the grave.

" Do you believe in vampires? " the woman said.

" You should not worry, Hele - ," the man almost pronounced her name but he stopped. And it seemed he called her " Helena". It seemed this was her name " I believe all the measures were taken " he added and he put his boot on the spade and pressed it. " Theodore fears the dead. He would not allow him avenge themselves, " Dave whispered

" I hope so, " Helena said.

And they started to dig the earth. It seemed they did not fear the punishment they deserved for such a blasphemous act. But it seemed they had a good reason to risk.

It seemed it took them ages to dug the grave. Then the woman poured liquid on the grave , which was maybe a holy water, and crossed herself. Then the woman saw something terrible since she vomited in the nearest bush. The man continued to search something in the grave. It was clear these people were criminals. They had to pay.

He looked at his people and gave them a sign to prepare.

-----

" The head is missing, " Helena heard the voice of David. She had just felt better but after hearing his words she felt again sick. Yet she made an attempt to raise. But then she heard somebody shouted from the darkness

" Do not move a muscle! Or you will die! "

Helena looked at the direction the voice came from. There were four shadows. And they were so close to them. One of them held a bow and arrow pointed at them. The other two wore swords but the third, who was maybe the leader had axe.

" We are servants of Kir Andronicus Assen. And we came here to kill a vampire "

Helena heard the man laughing. David had made a big mistake: it was extraordinary to hunt vampires in the mid of the night, it was wiser to dug their graves during the day and the presence of clergyman was also needed. But the awkward lie of David might have done a good work - now at least they received some protection by the name of the acting governor of Morea.

" Of course you are. And Kir Andronicus Assen sent you in the midnight to rob graves "

" We did not - " David interferred but he could not finish.

" Shut up immediately or she dies " Helena now realized her disguise failed. The men had heard almost everything from their conversation. They had realised David guarded her and were determined to use this. She now did knew who was the aim of the archer.

" Drop the sword " was the second command. David obbeyed.

" Good, " the leader drily said. " Now I want the girl here "

She approached him and she recognized him. He was the undertaker of Mistra. His bad-temper was well-known and once he had been thrown out of the Theodore's inn. In addition she suspected he would recognize her if he looks at her more carefully. This would be the end since the lie of David would completely fail and they would be in a great threat.

The hooded men approached her and caught her arms. What was worse the men started to mock her and one of them even pushed her. Helena lost balance and fell in the dust.

" Don't move " she heard the voice of the undertaker threatening David. It seemed he wanted to say something more to her guard but the undertaker did not.

" Kira Helena, " he hissed staring at her, " When did you become servant of Kir Andronicus Assen?" She realised her hood had fallen. Her disguise failed. " I'm afraid lies will not be tolerated here. " Grim smile appeared on his face. He approached her and grabbed her hand. He dragged her towaqrds the nearest tree and then pushed her against the ground. She fell and she heard his cold laughter. " I've waited for this moment for years, Helena. " He sudenly stopped to laugh and said with a trembling voice" Guard the man. She is mine" Then she realised what was going to happen. Fortunately, none of the servants had checked her for weapons and she drew her dagger from beneath her cloak. This time she had no intention to give up. The man attacked her as he was the eagle but she - his prey. He tried to tear off her clothes but she fighted back with her dagger. In her panic she slashed his cheek and he screamed but managed to caught her arm on time. She felt pain in her wrist and then something hit her face. In the next moment she was beneath him with her shirft torn off and she felt his kisses and bites on her naked shoulder. Then she realised she had lost. She was his victim and she had to accept her destiny. Everything disappered. She was again in the house of Theodore. She was lying on the floor and there were another man on her. She could feel his breath, she could smell his sweat, she could feel his body. She was trying to fight but he was causing her even more pain. Then she felt shame, then she felt more pain, then ... She opened her eyes and saw the clear summer sky. She felt the stone in her right arm and she smashed the undertaker with it.

The undertaker screamed and fell on her. She pushed him on the ground. She grabbed her dagger and looked up brushing aside her loosened heir with her free hand. There were four silhouettes and three of them fighting. The fourth was alredy on the ground writhing like a worm. There were small flames scattered around the lying body - torches had been dropped by the surprised guards. She peered in the darkness so that she recognize her guard. In vain. The only thing she could clearly notice was glimmers of steel in the night. Another scream followed and another silhouette collapsed. And the fight was over. One of the men lowered his sword and ran. The only remaining men did not make any attempt to follow him. He simply walked towards her:

" Helena! "

Helena casted one last look on the helpless body which lied close to her. He had recognized her and he posed a danger. She strangthened her grip over the hilt of her dagger but she could not kill him. Then she rushed towards her guard. " Are you well? " He asked her as she caught his hands.

" I am. But you are hurted! " His clothes were wet.

" No, Helena, this is not my blood. Don't worry! Let's go! " He looked at the darkness from where shouts and barking were coming.

She somehow could not believe him. They ran towards their horses. Suddenly she heard clashing of steel. She stopped and looked back. David had been attacked but he had blocked the enemy sword. It seemed his opponent was also tired since he could not fight off the counterattack of David who snashed his nose with the hilt of his sword.

Then he noticed her and shouted " What are you doing? Run! "

But she could not leave him. As she came to him he stared at her " What are you doing, Helena? It's dangerous! "

She did not pay any attention to his words and helped him. The reinforcement were still far away.

They were soon on their horses.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 03-28-2008 at 15:34.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

When they reached the first house they stopped. Helena looked at David. She wanted to change the tactic. It was too suspicious to gallop up and down the streets at night. And she feared David was too weak.

" I do not think - "

But she stopped. David collapsed without saying a single word and fell on the dusty street. Helena jumped from her horse and kneeled near him. She put her forefinger on his neck but he was still alive. She looked up and stared at the closest door. Was it wise to leave him amongst these people? Or they would simply call the guards to arrest him?

" Helena, " David said with weak voice " Leave me here. I am too weak to walk. And it will be too dangerous for you. dangerous for you. It is you who is important - I - " he could not finish. She thought the worst had happened " Dave," she cried but heard only a whisper. She strated crying and put her head on his chest. At first she thought she heards the beats of her own heart but she was mistaken. He was alive. His heart was beating. Now she knew what she had to do. She stood up and hide her horse behind the corner. Then she knocked on the door and hid. She heard voices and the door opened. One of the woman cried but another hushed and rushed towards David.

" What are you doing, Ephigenia! " she heard the name of that prostitute which Manuel met the day he suffered the accident. She shivered since she suspected the woman was spy of Constantine. She was panic-stricken and could only watch the scene. The younger woman paid no attention to the older one and called for help. Then the older woman came with a younger man whom she immediately recognised - his name was John the Fast Sword, the man officer who helped Manuel that day. They dragged David and then slammed the door. Helena continued to stare at the empty space. She had made a mistake and had sealed the death of her fellow. Her tears were running down her cheeks but she forced herslef to continue. She got on her horse and headed towards the inn. She had to get there as soon as possible. Her plan was a disaster and she remembered the words of Manuel who was against a similiar activity of hers. At least once in his life Manuel Doukas was right.

----
    Helena looked around and took off her blood stained cloak. She approached the large wooden door of the inn and two suspicious eyes scrutinised her. The door unlocked and she was let in. She faced the unpleasant man who guarded the front door of the inn. She was not sure if she had cleared her face well and probably he had seen the blood on it. And she read his unasked question: Where is your friend? But in an inn outside the Mistra walls people do not ask questions. Accidents often happened on suhc places and its owners knew to keep secret. This reminded her she was very vulnerable now. She was alone.

She left her horse to the man and entered in the pub. For her relief she found out most of the people were drunk and relatively harmless. She went on the second floor and went towards the room David and she had hired for the night. It was situated at the bottom of the corridor. But it seemed somebody had already waited for her. The man had bent on the wall and were watching her. But he did nothing. He had other intentions.

The man smiled stupidly and drank from the large cup he held. There was a deep and strange scar on his wrist. But apart from this there was nothing unusual in him. Helena concluded he was drunk and passed him. She had to go in her room. Then... she will decide what to do. As she closed the door behind her she casted a look on the room. It was empty. She had to go here with David and then to comment what they had found in the grave of Clyo. Instead she knew she had sentenced him on death. She did not have much time to consider it since she heard somebody opened the door next to hers. She did not know how this could help her but she had to know what was happening. She slightly The drunkard from the corridor had disappeared. Only a few moments later the door opened again and cowled figures went out of the room. Four men. They went down the stairs and disappeared from her sight. But none of them locked the door.

Time was passing and nothing happened. But her intuition forced her to continue watching the corridor. She knew they were already searching her. The rumours about what had happened on the graveyard had reached the years of Constantine. Once they found out she was not in her house, the steward will send his men around the inns. She was not sure how much time it will take him but she had to leave this place. But where could she go? She did not have much money, probably these would have been enough for four or five days but what next? She would have to sleep on the street. And then... She was woman and she had heard many stories about what happens to lonely woman. And she needed to contact with friend or ally... But how could she do this without being caught?

There was more time of waiting. Could her intuition be wrong? Mots probably it was. The room next to hers was probably empty, they had probably forgot to lock it... Maybe she had to check it. Or maybe it was too dangerous?

Then, when she almost gave up, the door opened. Another cowled figure went out. But it was different from the others. It was moving like ghost without producing any noise. It reached the stairs and stopped. For a moment Helena thought the "shadow" would turn back. But a great noise came from the first floor and the cowled figure went down the stairs. She was watching a few more moments the empty corridor. But she soon learned there was nothing more to be seen. The room next to hers was empty. How did she know? The door seemed to be slightly broken and it opened without anybody's help. Nobody closed it.

She walked towards her bed. She sat and stared at the bed where David had to sleep. David was very loyal man, a good friend, too. She could put her live in his hands. And what happened this night proved it. However, she felt as she betrayed him and put him right in the hands of their enemies. He was doomed. She knew she could not do anything more for him but- she could have acted in a different way, she had to be more cautious. She had to expect somebody would guard the grave of Clyo. She made a mistake and David payed for it. And then her turn would come. The undertaker had recognized her, he would report to Constantine. And the steward would use the opportunity to eliminate her. And even if she survived, there would be nothing to save David.

But Manuel... she did it because of him. He was accused of something he could not do. She had to save him. But how could she? She might be arrested soon, and this would be the end. However, you might be spared again or at least you could give the information you know to somebody who could help. Helena tried to concentrate on what she knew or what had happened.

First, the missing head. Who was interested in this? The body had already been studied by Constantine and Theodore. Why did anybody need the head? First, he could use it for black magic but it was too... Maybe the reason is more simple. You know her habits Helena... When did she die? She was supposed to have died in the evening. She fell in the yell. Somebody could have helped her. Somebody like Christopher. He called the guards. But why did he have to take the head, if he was the murderer at all?

Second the meeting with the judge. He lied to her. He never kidnapped her groom. When he asked him if he was well, he was surprised. He told her he had only been called to see some horsesby very important [peopleBut he had not been forced in any way. She knew him: he was very bad liar. But he was telling her the truth. It seemed Theophil Branas had put her on test. Could he really be a friend?

Third Alexius... could he use his influence to help her? After all, Andronicus Assen was his to-be-father-in-law.

----------

Enjoy and sorry for the dealayal!
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Nice to see the story progressing. How far removed are you from the end?

A few brief comments on the graveyard scene. When you introduce the two characters, you add the following sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Asen
    " You should not worry, Hele - ," the man almost pronounced her name but he stopped. And it seemed he called her " Helena". It seemed this was her name
    It's pretty obvious who is in the graveyard when you mentioned David and Hetairai. Spelling it out like this is unnecessary and breaks the flow of the story. Also, I am pretty sure "Dave" is a modern name. Just stick to David.

Blog Entries

Theophil Branas woke up. The nightmare ended. He looked around: he was alone in his empty room. Although it was midnight he stood up and walked. He looked at the sky and then at Mistra. He knew what he had to do: he had to check the inn. Before he could not do it without the permission of the governor and his position was uncertain. And he knew nothing about Clyo. Now it was different.The fresh air and the beautiful sight made him feel better. He had to go sleep. He had to prepare for the difficult day that was to come. Then somebody knocked on his door.

" Kir Branas, kir Branas, " he heard the familiar voice of his retainer. Something had happened. He let the man in and then patinetly heard the story about that accident on the graveyard. Constantine Matsakes had already put the guards on high alert and had left the Palace.

" Prepare my horse," he gave short and clear order and the retainer hurried to leave the room.

Theophil Branas dressed quickly and kissed the cross he wore on his neck. Then he hided the jewelry under his tunic and went out. It took some time to gather his men and to reach the stables. However, they were soon on their horses and headed towards the house where the hetaira lived. Whilst Theophil was waiting for his soldiers to organize he received more details about the accident on the graveyard. It seemed the attackers had tried to open the grave of Clyo but the undertalker had preapred an ambush. The undertaker said the bandits fighted well and had disarmed his people. Fortuantely, nobody died and one of the criminals had been hurted badly. The other had been recognized and according to the undertaker she was Helena Theodorina, the hetaira.

Theophil doubted they would catch her in the house right now. Constantine also seemed to have no illusions and did not even bothered to put the guards under disguise. Yet, Theophil approached one of the guards and asked him if he had any news for the hetaira. The guard shook his head. Then a short conversation followed. Theophil learned Constantine Matsakes had ordered to bring her alive but the judge did not want to take risks. He had to find Helena before him. Where could the hetaira be? If she was responsible for the accident on the graveyard, she must have sleptin the outer city. There were at least ten inns situated there and he had no time to check all of them. Constantine had offered an award to anybody who gives an important information for her. Then he was approached by the man who was sent to spy over Helena. They had an appointment to meet here. Theophil looked at him expecting an answer.

" Kir Branas, may I sepak with you in private "

Theophil went aside. There was always risk of being overheard but he had no choice.

" Where is she? "

" I lost them that day, Kir Branas. And then they did not return in the house. "

" Where did you lose them? " Theophil cursed in his mind but tried to stay calm.

" They were in the eastern part of the outer city. I doubt they knew I were wacthing them. The crowd was just too big. It was wonder I managed to spy them for so long. They chose the longest way and went through the most crowded streets "

" So you mean they are in the eastern part of the city? "

" I think so master. In fact I doubt they will choose to sleep near the mercenary camp where most of the inns are. I made a reasearch on the area and I think there are three inns. "

" Good. Which one is in the middle? " Theophil said as his anger slowly faded away. One of fourth. He had to risk. She did not expected a failure in her plan and probably she was not to choose to cheapiest. But she might not have hired a room in the most expensive. It was too obvious that a hetaira would choose the most expensive. He did not know Helena of course. He was gambling.

" 'The Silver hand ', Kir Branas "

----

" The Silver hand " was big house and it had a large yard. It was certainly not the best place to spend the night but compared to many others of its kind it was very good choice. He enetred in the inn and looked around. It was still full of people but most of them were completely drunk. Fortunately the servants were sober.

" Where is the innkeper? "

" In his room, " the boy replied, " It is at the end of the corridor"

" Thank you, " the judge said and gave him a coin.

The innkeeper was surprised by the presence of five sober and well armed men. He stared at Theophil and smiled unctuously,

" What do the masters wish? "

" We came for information. I want to know how many women have spent the night in the inn '

" It is very hard to say, master. But if you want a prostitute - "

" I do not. I want to know if a particular blackhaired and blackeyed woman had come to the inn "

" I can not remeber, sir "

" Good. " Theophil looked at his retainer. The man took a handful of money and put them on the table. " Is this enough? "

" The noble gueats are generous, " he stared at the coins " Many people come and go from the inn. There was certainly many women like this but - " Theophil's retainer put more money on the table. The innkeper hesitated for a while. " No, I can not remember "

It seemed he had heard about the prise. Good.

" Do you think that I have come here to take the miserable prise you want? You will have it if you do not continue to be so stubborn. Constantine Loukas Matsakes is my personal friend and if you are still not convinced you can put your stupid nose in this piece of paper. " Theophil slowly said emphasizing on any single word of him. He put the paper with the sign of Andronicus Assen before the amused innkeeper. " Is this not enough? Or you probably want to rummage your inn and to ask Constantine to make a detailed research on the taxes you pay? "

It always worked. The innkeper was to reply when servant entered and gasped,

" Kir Matsakes - the steward, master "

The man became pale and stared at Theophil. He beahved as he had heard his death sentence. However, Theophil did not feel better. They tried to leave the place and Theophil gave a sign to his retainer to take the money from the table but they did not go far.

" Master Matsakes, what a pleasant surprise, " the innkeper bowed as he saw the steward of Morea. But it seemed Constantine only noticed the presence of Theophil.

" Weclome, Kir Branas. I see you are always on the proper place in the right time. Now I beg to be excused, " Matsakes said as he looked at the innkeeper.

" Where is she? "

The innkeeper understood the question perfectly and headed towards what was most probalby the Helena's room. Theophil and Constantine and their men followed him. Theophil realised he had lost but at least he would be present on the Helena's arrest.

As they reached a door on the second floor the innkeeper made a sign and Constantine nodded. The innkeeper unlocked the door and the guards stormed into the room.

" I need her alive! " Constantine shouted. But the room was empty. It seemed the clever girl had left the place . Theophil felt better but he realised very soon his task was getting even more difficult. He was a foreigner in Morea and the chance to find Helena before Constantine Matsakes was equal to zero. Meanwhile the steward was staring at the empty room and it seemed nobody of his men dared to interrupt him. Finally, when the leading officer decided that too much time had passed he approached Constantine and asked him what his orders were. The steward did not answer him but looked at the innkeeper.

" Who is in the next room? "
    He casted one of those sights full of cunningness, pleasure and eagerness typical for hunter who had outsmarted his prey.

" An Arab, sir "

" What Arab? " Constantine Matsakes was slightly surprised. " Weird man. There are rumours he came from Egypt"

" Could you describe him? "

" He is a man of your size , blackhaired with green eyes and speak Greek fluently. "

" And I suppose he is a merchant? "

" No, master. As far as I know he is a physician. But he was troo hostile and too mysterious. I would say he was a magician "

" And he speaks Greek fluently? "

" Yes, master, he knows Greek very well. He has any accent. "

" Good, " Constantine said and stared at the door. He drew his scimitar and gave a sign to his men, who did the same. In the next moment several men stormed into the room. But there was no Arab. The person there was not a stranger. The person was not even a man. The person there was woman called Helena Theodorina.

Helena was on the other side of the room standing next to the widnow. Her clothes were dirty and so were her face and hair. Then she stared at the face of Constantine Matsakes and her black eyes expressed a hatred which was almost like a madness. Theophil thought she might do something stupid but she simply gave in. Before she was taken away by the guards, Theophil could met her eyes. The madness had gone. She was ready to speak with him and it was something he had predicted. But was it not too late?

----------------------
    -----------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    Nice to see the story progressing. How far removed are you from the end?

A few brief comments on the graveyard scene. When you introduce the two characters, you add the following sentence:

It's pretty obvious who is in the graveyard when you mentioned David and Hetairai. Spelling it out like this is unnecessary and breaks the flow of the story. Also, I am pretty sure "Dave" is a modern name. Just stick to David.

About spelling: well, I admit this was a clumsy attempt to show our crimanals in the way the undertaker sees them. As far as I remember his point of view ended with " he gave a sing to his men to prepare "

About Dave: I wanted to show that David and Helena are close friends. He was her most trusted man in this inn and as it will become clear he was her friend since childhood. Anyway, I'll remove "Dave" and will use David instead.

About the end of story: The story is certainly very few updates away from one of the key moments but it is still far from the end (according to my calculations it's about 1/4 or1/3 from the total size). By the way, it was yesterday night when I write the scene. And I will only share that a certain character will suffer a lot.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 04-29-2008 at 16:20.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Research Shinobi Senior Member Tamur's Avatar

I've been working on catching up a bit and, though I'm not completely there, I am enjoying getting to know your characters. You've done a great job focusing on them and making sure the story isn't overtaken by the history, so to speak. Keep it up!
    "Die Wahrheit ruht in Gott / Uns bleibt das Forschen." Johann von Müller

Blog Entries

It was wet and dark. People were moaning and were cursing. Somebody was praying in the darkness. It was not the hell she had read about so much. There were no flames and it was cold. And she still felt herself alive. She breathed and her heart was beating. Her soul was in her body and her body was lying on the straw in the cell. And yet few places resembled the hell as much as this one.
    The rats were everywhere. The air reeked. Some time ago there was a fight in one of the cells. Soon after the guards riped the woman in the cell next to hers.

She could not fall asleep. She was exhausted. She was going mad. She wanted to leave this place as soon as possible even if she had to die on the scaffold after that.

She was hungry. They gave her food but she feared it might be poisonous and refused it. She hoped she might be saved. And she was wrong. She was naive. Probably Manuel did not even suspected where she was. He only knew what Constantine wanted him to know. And what the hell time was it? Was it lunch time?

Then she heard a small group of people moving. The guards who were sitting close to her cell stood up. She heard a familiar voice,

" We came to see the hetaira "

" Yes, Kir Mastakes "

As she was expecting the guards of Constantine came first and then the steward entered.She had already stood up and had prepared to meet her enemy. As he saw her, Constantine smiled ironically,

" Kira Helena, you are always ready to fight. I am not amused you are accused of crime by that undertaker " Constantine stared at her eyes and added " But he was mistaken. You should be grateful to Kir Doukas for his assisstance in the case. Kir Doukas, " Constantine turned at his right side, " she is yours."

Before Helena could overcome her confusion a cowled figure approached her and stretched his hand.

" Helena, this nightmare is over. You are free, " the man calmly said. Helena hesitated for a while but accepted the hand of Alexius. She was moving to unknown direction without clear idea what was happening outside and inside her. She felt as she was awakened from very deep dream and at the same time she knew her mind and heart were not empty but just on the opposite - they were overfilled with happiness and even triumph that she is alive and shame and even humiliation that she looked dreadful being dirty before her enemy and the man who had helped her. And she felt there were even more but she did not wanted to admit the truth. Suddenly a door opened and she was blinded by the sunlight. As she got used to the light and opened her eyes there was another surprise: before the prison of Mistra a carriage was waiting for her.

She and Alexius arrived in the house of the Doukas soon after and she was taken to the bath. At that time Alexius discretely disappeared . After she bathed she received new clothes. It was very beautiful black dress. They also gave her two beautiful silver earrings. She thanked the three old maids who helped her before they left the room. It was then when Alexius Doukas appeared again.

" You are very beautiful, Helena, " he smiled. There was something disturbing in the way he was watching her though it was hard for her to define what led her to that conclusion. Alexius was very polite and she tried to respond to his kindness.

" Alexius, you saved my honour and my life today and - "

" Helena, I did only what my brother requested me to do, " he smiled again " It is him to whom you should be grateful"

" I know Alexius, " she lied to him " But you were under no obligation - "

" Do not worry. I am in debt to my brother. This is all. " He said as he casted another fascinated look at her

" Alexius - There was one man with me... my guard "

" David... yes, he was also caught but I think I can help him, too. "

" Thank you, " she said with relief. But she was not as happy as she wanted to be.

" Helena, you are part of my family. Such services are ordinary for family members. I am sure you would have done the same if I had been - "

A young servant entered and interrupted them. Alexius rapidly turned at him with his right hand on the hilt of his sword. For a moment Helena thought he was to slice him.

" Master, the horses are ready. "

" Thank you, " Alexius calmly responded, " But next time knock the door before storming into the room. It is inpolite" The servent became pale but before he could answer Helena interferred,

" Are you leaving?"

" I am." Alexius looked at her completetely forgetting about the servant "I must attend the Palace. I owe it to my father "

"I will come with you. I- " Helena hesitated for a while, " promised you"

-------------------------

" Constantine, I must know - " Manuel looked at his mentor. He was confused and angry. If somebody else had done what Constantine seemed to have done, Manuel would have shouted at him and even made an attempt to hit him. But Constantine was different. With single look he forced Manuel to speak more silently and calmly. And in his bad Italian " Why did you not prevent her arrest! You promised to me - "

" Manuel," Constantine calmly replied " I promised you to protect her but I did not promised you to neglect my responsibilities "

" What do you mean? "

" I mean it would have been too obvious not to arrest her. This could have led to certain complications. I do not mean I will lose prestige before Kir Andronicus Assen. Manuel, think... She was caught on the graveyard - "

" You know she was caught in the inn! " Manuel objected

" And she was all dirty and the undertsaker accused her " Constantine looked Manuel with criticism " Imagine if I had not arrested her. Suspicions will rise and certain people might think she is too dangerous to be left alive "

" Do not say it - "

" Do not interrupt me, Manuel. She will be immediately connected with me and you. So I waited for your brother to ask for her release. "

" If he had not - "

" I am sure he would "

" But if he had not - "

" Then I would. But as you see he did his work well. But you do not look very happy "

" Of course, I do not. Now all the city rumours - " Manuel hissed

" It was inevitable "

" Constantine, I think the whole story gives you great pleasure. You are playing with two people you dislike: Helena and Alexius - "

Constantine smiled " Dislike is not the proper words for Alexius. I hate this snake. And yes, I still think Helena is a typical hetaira, treacherous like all the women of this kind" Manuel tried to object but he met the determined look of Constantine and he gave up. He was still too weak " This is my opinion, Manuel. But please remember how many times I defended Helena from your father. And as I explained to you it was Helena that benefited from the situation. She was taken out from the prison and is scered enough to keep her nosy nose out of this mess. Yes, I used your brother and I feel no sorry about it. "

" But my brother is also Doukas "

" Your brother is a different case, Manuel. He is rumoured to be your rival. I doubt saving Helena will be associated with you. Helena is safe for now. "

" But if- " Manuel realised he was about to share his greatest fear and thus to hurt his pride. He had argued on this with Constantine many for years. Then we came to the treacherous nature of the hetairas, he read the answer in the eyes of Constantine.

Constantine completely ignored the unfinished sentence of Manuel and they moved on the Manuel's memory.

" Constantine, I still can not remember some details. I remember almost everything connected with my mother and most of my childhood but my father is somehow absent. I can only tell you - Well - "

" You hated him, I know. In fact many people know it "

" Yes, but what kind of man he was? I remember he was ambitious, I remmber he was sometimes annoying... but was it enough to hate my father so much? "

" Your father, Manuel was far more than this. He was the perfect politician, the perfect manipulator but he never learned to put order in his personal life. And in a way you fell victim to this chaos. He was not very good father, Manuel. But he was your father. And he was great man "

" Yes, I know this. But why I hated him so much? Do you know? "

" I myself do not very well. He did just not know you well. And if it is some comfort for you, his father Alexius Doukas the Elder was no different "

" You mean - "

" Yes, Alexius the Elder and your father also hated each other. History repeats itself, Manuel. But I think you will be different"

" Why do you think so? "

" You are stronger than your father. Your father always chose the easiest way. You are different. " For the first time Manuel thought Constantine was proud of him but as he studied the face of his mentor again he was not that sure.

Suddenly the bells started ringing. " Are you ready, Manuel "

Manuel nodded and he rose. He felt stronger and he was almost sure he will do his duty to his father. And maybe the face of his father would help him remember... Constantine helped him dress in black silk tunics. When he was dressed in his new clothes Constantine smiled and said,

" Black suits you, Manuel. I am sure your father would have been proud of you "

The words of Constantine called an old memory. He was in the room of his father and mother and Nicephorus had smiled at him. The only smile from his father he remembered.

" Constantine, I was once the favourite son of Nicephorus "

Constantine was slightly surprised. He was watching him few seconds without saying a word.

" Yes, " he said silently, " You were. Unfortunately, your father never learned you to protect people he loved. "

Another update ( i hope) . The scene which will follow will be really interesting since it is one of the turning points in the story.

I am really happy I can sit and write my story again since I am really fed up with university studies and I want to do something else than studying (well, in a way this is also studying but this is different). Finally, I can put on paper what I thought and to post what I put on paper. :)
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Manuel Doukas slowly entered into the church supported by Constantine. Manuel felt the eyes of the elite of Morea focused on him. There were whispers and he could catch his name and words like
    ' shameless ' and ' arrogant ‘. Others stared at him as if they had seen a ghost. Constantine had prepared him for that. Manuel was told that it would happen but he had to do his duty towards his father. It was not only the duty. It was not only the love, which he had started to feel about his late father. He knew he had to go here in order to remember what had happened between them and to know the truth. He feared. The fear was increasing with each step towards the coffin of his father. Flowers surrounded the body and his father's hands were clutched on his chest. He stared at the mask. The metal could show no real emotions. It was cold. It killed. It called the distant memory of pain. But there was also shame and anger... and fear. The mask had suddenly disappeared and he saw the face of his father. White face with short beard and long black hair. He stared at his black eyes. It was not just a memory. His brother Alexius had approached him. But he was not alone. Manuel gave a sign to his mentor and Constantine loosened his grip. It was not enough for Manuel and he released his body from the grip of the steward with rapid movement. He did not want to look weak in the eyes of his brother... and the woman he loved.

Manuel cast another hostile look at his brother and Helena. He felt the sweat on his forehead. His brother had no shame. His brother's face was calm and handsome but beneath the surface it was obsessed with the passion ' to have '. This was just a mask. And there was no moral, no blood, and no tears, which could break this calmness. He saw Helena in the hands of that monster. He heard her cry for help. She was lying on the cold floor in the basement. The blood was trickling from her mouth. No, this was not Helena but his mother. The woman who tried to protect him from his father. She had died she was killed before his eyes by his father. He ran then. His father shouted something at him but he did not stop. He feared he would be also killed. Another one replaced the scene. His father was on his bed and he was under his father. They were fighting. His father tore his clothes and shut his mouth with his hand. He felt his breath full with passion and kisses on his body. Before he would have given in but now he was determined to fight. His hand found the dagger under his cushion and grabbed it. Then he stroke with the hilt straight at his father's body. His father hissed and Manuel managed to push him from his bed. Nicephorus Doukas fell on the floor and Manuel ran. He passed his fallen father and rushed in unknown direction. Somebody called him and he felt a jasmine perfume in the air. But his mother was dead. It was somebody else. No, there were more people. He heard their whispers.

" Manuel," the woman said. And he opened his eyes. He felt her black hair on his face and met her black eyes.

" Helena, " his mouth whispered. He caught her hand and noticed another familiar face. Constantine was also kneeling next to him. His left hand was bleeding and the salty taste in Manuel's mouth explained what had happened. Somehow he had bitten Constantine. Kosmas, the physician was also next to him and his brother was also next to him. He was pale and looked scared. And although he knew he had not face his father, Manuel mumbled, " Tell me this is a nightmare “. Then he looked aside staring at the other silhouettes around him. He hated them all; he wanted to be left alone with his humiliation. He wanted to scream. He was exhausted and he was sick. He opened his mouth in order to ease his breathing but felt even sicker and vomited.

Helena looked at the litter, which was leaving the church. Helena wanted to follow it and to spend these difficult hours with Manuel. Her first thought was that Manuel was poisoned. This could be the second attempt of his assassination. She remembered Manuel's face changed whilst he was looking his father's body. His body slightly started to tremble and when he moved his sight on Alexius he become feverish. Constantine caught him and made an attempt to distract Manuel but Manuel did not hear him. Instead he collapsed. She knew what had happened " Tell me it is a bad dream, " he told his brother. But why him? Because he resembled his father so much. Manuel had whispered in his dreams a horrible story about a father who dared to commit an incest with his son. And then to kill his wife because he wanted to hide his secret. She had tried to heal these deep wounds in the soul of Manuel but she was not very successful.

" Helena, " she heard the voice of Alexius behind her " Do not worry, I am sure they will take care of him "

" No, Alexius, I must see him "
    The words of Alexius gave Helena no relief. She knew 'they' was not the exact word. It was Constantine Matsakes who was responsible for Manuel. She always feared the influence of Constantine Matsakes over Manuel. She did not trust this man and she had much evidence to justify that. She did not trusted him even now when the 'steward' seemed to have no interest to harm him. She excused to Alexius and tried to leave the Manuel's brother.

With a single look Alexius stopped her, " I will also come with you. They will not let you close to Manuel without me "

Helena hesitated for a moment but accepted his proposal. He was right: she had no chance to access Manuel without him. They made their way through the crowded entrance but they almost got lost amongst the turmoil outside the church. Alexius saw her just in time and led her to the huge house where he was told that Manuel was. The guards immediately recognized him and let them in the yard of the house without further questions. The house belonged to rich and noble family, though it was far from the magnificence of the Doukas home. The garden was in good order, with beautiful yellow flowers everywhere but these contrasted with the rest of the building. The hall they entered had no decoration. The large marble plates and the massive walls gave the hall Spartan atmosphere. The attention of Helena was distracted by the appearance of the mistress of the house. She was short and plump middle-aged woman who Helena once met during the feast in memory of Nicephorus Doukas. Helena had heard a few things about Ripsimia Kalamanos, who was a notable exception from the rule of the male domination in Mistra. Being descendant of an old family herself she was married to one of the most influential aristocrats in Morea. Her husband was twelve years older than her and he was extremely cold man just like the house he had built. He left this world ten years after the marriage and it happened before he could fulfill his ambition for male heir. Ripsimia gave birth only to three surviving daughters. Many people predicted her failure without strong man next to her but they were wrong. The cousins of her late husband made an unsuccessful attempt to take a part of the estate that she inherited. The strong will of Ripsimia Kalamanos and the interference of influential friends of hers helped her to keep everything. She took care of the education of her daughters and she gave them also a big dowry when the time came. Now her daughters lived far away, in Constantinople, thus leaving Ripsimia in the position of undisputed ruler of vast lands in Morea.

“ Kir Alexius, welcome to my house “ she smiled at Alexius and then nodded at her “ Welcome, Helena Theodorina. It is pleasure to have you both in my house.” To Helena’s greatest surprise, there was no despiteful look but even slight sympathy towards her. Was it because Ripsimia Kalamanos respected the women who were trying to find their place in the world of men?

“ Kira Ripsimia, I wish the circumstances were different. Do you have any news for my brother? We are really worried about his condition. “

“ I know, “ Ripsimia shook her head and sighed. She looked sincere. “ Constantine Matsakes is there. And the physician who came several days ago “

“ Kosmas? “

“ Thank you, Kir Alexius. Some people are getting old and forget,” she smiled. “ Kir Matsakes told me they would need some time to examine Manuel. But the physician is an optimist “

“ May we attend Manuel, Kira Kalamanos?” Helena could not restrain and asked.

“ Kira Helena, it is hard to say that. I think we should first wait for the examination to end and then to ask Kir Matsakes or the physician. Many things happened and it was decided to limit the access to Manuel. I am sure this is a temporary measure, though “

Helena expected such a refusal but her wit did not release her from her fears. She did not hear the kind words of Ripsimia who invited them in another room, which was more suitable for such dear guests. She only saw the worried eyes of Alexius who asked if she was tired. Helena simply smiled and told him he should not worry. Then they walked to Kira Kalamanos who was waiting patiently for them. She led them through the labyrinth of rooms and corridors and they finally entered in a small but cozy room. It was obvious Kira Kalamanos had made this room for her personal taste where she could find the warmth she needed but never had. This was certainly not a bedroom but a comfortable place where she met with friends and gossiped. The small fireplace kept the place warm in the winter; the massive stonewalls and the huge yellow curtains preserved it from the summer heat. There were a few large dark-brown chairs surrounding the single bed in the room. Each chair had a yellow cushion on it and the bed itself was also covered with such small and soft devices, which were resting on its dark yellow cover. Next to the bed there was a small low table and on it there were a bunch of herbs, which gave suitable aroma for this beautiful place. As they entered, the guests were invited to sit on the bed whilst Kira Kalamanos chose one of the huge chairs. Helena was still nervous, though she felt better on the soft bed. Kira Kalamanos sensed that and ordered her maids to bring some wine to the guests.

“ Manuel will soon recover,” she said to Helena “Trust my intuition. “ The woman tried to ease her but it was in vain. Helena still feared for Manuel and she still knew nothing about his condition. Yet she felt she had to answer and agreed. This did not mislead anybody and the conversation moved very slowly. To make the things worse a servant appeared from the door and explained a certain nobleman called Alexius. At the question that was this man, the servant simply replied,

“ Kir Romanus Philanthropenus, sir “

Waiting for his answer Helena looked at the face of Alexius, which became as stiff as a mask. Her fears were justified since Alexius rose and prepared to leave. He excused he had to discuss a very important issue with Kir Philanthropenus and followed the servant. Before he left the room Helena met his eyes. He did not want to leave her. She was also surprised she started to miss his delicate presence. Somehow it gave her strength and security in these difficult days… She knew she was playing with the fire. But now she felt she had to fight alone against the world again. And against the nightmares of Manuel, which were about to return –

“ Are you well, Kira Helena? “ she heard the calm voice of Kira Kalamanos.

“ Thank you, I am”

“ I know you suffer a lot. But this difficult moment will pass soon. Manuel will be well. “

“ I do not know, “ she replied more to herself than to her host.

“ Kira Helena, “ the woman sighed and tried to add something when she noticed the approaching servant. He put the plate with the cups on the low table and whispered something at the ear of Kira Kalamanos. The woman smiled and looked at Helena.

“ I told you: the good news would soon arrive. Manuel is well. “

At least for a moment Helena felt released and she was eager to ask how to reach his room. Kira Kalamanos was faster.

“ Now we will have to speak with the physician and Constantine Matsakes.“ These kind words were aimed to ease Helena but for the hetaira they were like cold water. The idea that Constantine Matsakes still controlled the situation was terrifying. Ripsimia Kalamanos seemed to have realized her mistake and hurried to add, “ I think we will persuade them. You mean much for Manuel Doukas and I doubt your presence will harm him”

None of these statements had the effect that Kira Kalamanos hoped. First, she never hoped Matsakes would be persuaded. Helena was not even sure if she should meet Manuel. She did not know the reason for his crisis, which started the moment, he saw her with Alexius. Her importance for Manuel was only certain but now she was not very sure what exactly this importance was. Helena was almost as confused as she was before she learned the good news. Yet she forced herself to thank to Kira Kalamanos for the kind words.

“ Please, have a drink, Kira Helena “ Kira Kalamanos tried to change the topic to less problematic one. “ This wine is one of the best in the whole of Morea. It is exported to Genoa and Venice and there are rumours that the sultan of Egypt was also tempted by it, though his religion strictly forbids it. “

Helena Theodorina could not decline the polite invitation and took one of the cups. She brought it near her lips and looked at Kira Kalamanos who did the same. Helena smelt the aroma of the white wine and tasted it. It was even better.

“ It is very good, Kira Kalamanos “ Helena commended the host using all of her talent to hide her confusion.

“ Thank you,” Kira Kalamanos said, as she also tasted the wine. “ In fact, I can show you some of these excellent vines. I brought some in my garden. “

“ You are very kind, Kira Kalamanos “

“ Kira Helena, you may call me just Ripsimia. I consider you as my friend “

“ Ripsimia, I can say the same for you. Personally, I did not expect such a warm welcome “

“ Helena, you do not know my hospitality. I may have more weigh than most of the women but I lack their prejudice. There must be always a balance in the nature. “

Helena continued to play her theatre and laughed with her new friend.

-----------------
    -----------------
    ----------------

This was disgusting... Nicephorus Doukas is very complexed and he is both tragic and disgusting character. He was not always such a man. Probably these, who are still reading the story, expected the truth to come from the mouth and mind of Theophil Branas but I think the point of view of Manuel was better for the purpose. Poor Manuel.

The last but not the least it was funny to write the meeting between Ripsimia Kalamanos and Helena. I spent a lot of time on it and I hope it is of a decent quality. Ripsimia is an intersting character and you will have the pleasue to meet her in the next scenes.

About the story. We are somewhere around the 1/3 of the story, possibly close to the middle. The next up date could be delayed since I have to consider few things and put the last pieces of the puzzle. I think some of the relations between the characters are intriguing.

I'll jump back on one of the first chapters of the story. The Prologue: the hatred of Manuel Doukas is obvious. He was ready to risk his own life attacking his father (he is a leper after the all).

Another interesting conclusion: look at the dream of the first Manuel-Helena dream. " the dagger fell on the floor" This was the nightmare (which is in fact memory) that Manuel dreamed. Look at the John point of view (the late physician of Nicephorus): there is also a hint about what happened that night.

After a while the order was executed and the tired voice of the leper expressed his thanks to his loyal servant. With the help of the candle John examined the feeble leg of the sebastus despot covered with scales and swollen near the articulations. John clearly remebered the day when Nicephorus was found by his servants writhing with pain in the solar of his son. That night Nicephorus showed an extreme benevolence to his son who obviously had hit his father and had broken his knee-cap… Then many people believed it was an accident but it was not- he, John, who studied medicine in Constantinople, recognized the trace of blunt object…
    A little correction: it left from the original story.

…The dagger fell on the floor producing a clinging sound - The dream of Manuel Doukas ended. Manuel opened his eyes but surprisingly he felt relief for the first time of so much time. Then he looked next to him. A beatiful feminine body shined by the dawn was lying next to him. It was Helena - one of the most beautiful heteras in the region. She was more than a mistress of Manuel - there was not only a passion but also love and even a friendship. She was very clever and knew many secrets but Manuel could ever trust on her. She would give him any advice, would tell him what to do in difficult situations Manuel was used to fall into. He almost had no secrets from her…
    Manuel moved towards and almost attacked his father Nicephorus. A glance from Constantine made him falter.
    By the way, does anybody of you suspected such a horrible secret between Manuel and his father?

This is one of the rare cases I demand feedbacks.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 07-12-2008 at 10:58. Reason: Adding the quotes
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Nobody here?

Well, tomorrow there will be an update and I hope that one day, after hundred of years somebody may look in this story...

----
    Joking aside, back to work!
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

The Manuel's fate was uncertain and the two men who interrupted her conversation with Kira Kalamanos reminded it to Helena. Kira Kalamanos had already stood up to meet Constantine Matsakes and the physician Kosmas. Constantine Matsakes greeted Kira Kalamanos with very polite voice and it seemed Kira Kalamanos accepted them with great pleasure. The welcome of Kosmas was also very warm but Helena did not find it very disturbing. Kosmas seemed to be honest and tired old man who, according to the rumours, was to retire in one of the local monasteries. This did not mean he was not under the power of Constantine who probably manipulated him well but at least he was not that dangerous. He could also be source of important and detailed information about the health of Manuel. Helena hoped Constantine Matsakes had not advised him against giving such details to Helena.

Helena carefully listened to the short conversation between Constantine Matsakes and Kira Kalamanos. After a moment of hesitation Kira Kalamanos accepted his proposal to speak in private. The mistress of the house excused for the incovenience and left Helena and Kosmas alone. Helena wanted to know what they were going to discuss but she had no other choice,

“ Kira Kalamanos, I was just going to ask Kosmas about Manuel’s health. You should not worry about us, “ Helena smiled and Kira Kalamanos was satisfied by this answer as she left the room with Constantine Matsakes. Helena looked at the physician who sat on one of the two large chairs. He was a man in his sixties and his body was realtively strong for his age. His white beard hinted wisdom and his eyes expressed friendliness that could be rarely seen amongst the influential cyrcles in the Empire. Now she could believe what she had heard about this mysterious man. He had seen much from the life of the court but unlike many others he had withstood the seduction of power. Probably he had saved his soul but he had lost his faith in the people. His eyes were telling her he was tired and he wanted to leave the world of men and to dedicate himself to the Creator. She could also read he was struggling with that desire of his. He still thought his mission on this world was uncompleted.

Helena tried to understand this strange connection between them. They were very different and maybe this was the answer for this riddle. He was old and he was soon to cross the border of the outer world and to face his judgement. In his life he had helped many people. Unlike her. She was still young and … compared to this man she felt herself corrupted. Although Helena also fought for her love, she belonged to world of intrigues and lies. She realised she was admiring him and he also used this time to study his interlocutor. His eyes met hers and the silence continued a few more moments. Helena waited for the old man to start the conversation first. The old custom had to be kept.

“Kira Helena Theodorina, I have heard much about you, “ Kosmas made a pause that emphasized on his ambiguous words. Helena was not very sure if the pause was deliberate or not. This was unimportant. “ I wanted to meet you and as far as my old ears could hear, you also wanted to speak with me. I will be glad if I can be of your help “

“ I want to know how Manuel is, “ she tried to keep her voice as polite as she could , though she was eager to know details.

“ Manuel is well, “ the physician answered calmly. “ He is slighty scared of what had happened with him but there is nothing serious with him. “

“ Thank you, Kir Kosmas, but I heard rumours about epilepsy and if you know the truth -”

The epilepsy was unlikely explanation but Helena had to worm out the exact reason for Manuel’s sufferings.

“ No, Kira Theodorina, “ he quickly interrupted Helena as he did not want to cause her more sufferings. Her plan was successful. She knew epilepsy was unlikely explanation but she had to worm out the exact reason for Manuel's crisis. “ This is not epilepsy. I believe he had not fully recovered from the accident and he coud not overcome the shock of his father’s dead body. However, as I said he is strong man and he will soon be well “

The words of the physician confirmed many of her fears but she stayed calm. However, she found the behaviour of Kosmas more disturbing. The physician had not only come because he wanted to inform her about the condition of Manuel. They were running out of time, Helena had learned what she needed about the Manuel condition and patiently waited for the old man to continue.

“ Kira Theodorina, I think you should know something. I have no real evidence for this supposal of mine but it is good to know it. Kira Theodorina, “ he stared his worried eyes at her face, “ I carefully considered what happened to manuel since the first day I came in Mistra. I carefully considered the attack on Manuel by the drunkard. I think Manuel was not able to defend himself.

Helena widely opened her eyes and asked, “ You mean he was poisoned “

“ This is just a supposal, Kira Theodorina. However, it is very likely that he had drunk something that made him feel dizzy. The guards and their captain also found the behaviour of Manuel strange. “

Kosmas did not mention the name of the John the fast Sword who was in charge of that sector of the defense of Mistra. This man crossed her path twice and both of the time it had terrible consequences for her or people who were close to her. The first time he witnessed possible attack on Manuel, the second time he was in the house where Helena left her guard David. What was more confusing he was always with the prostitute who manuel often attended. Was it a coincidence?

Kosmas continued to speak with his silent and calm voice. Helena was used to thinking and listening simultaneously and could catch every word of his interlocutor, “ Kira Theodorina, I do not know what exactly Manuel ate and drank when he was with you, neither do I know what he did after that. However, Clyo, the other hetaira was found dead and she had not drowned. I am positive that she had walked to the yell bcause she was thirsty and she had fallen there because she was very sick. She was killed with huge quantity of poison and I am surprised how she managed to get to the yell. Kira Theodorina, I am asking you to be very careful. You are very close to Manuel and - "

Suddeny, Kira Kalamanos returned. Kosmas did not feel comfortable with the presence of the woman and the conversation suddenly stopped. This sudden gap could leave Kira Kalamanos with the impression of conspiration and Helena added as soon as possible.

“ I understood you, Kir Kosmas. I will be careful with Manuel. “

Helena smiled discretely in a way that only a hetaira could. After that Helena looked at the entrance where Kira Kalamanos stood. A moment before her host had closed the door Helena glanced Constantine Matsakes and Theophil Branas walking to unknown direction. She did not have any time to reflect on the new turn since Kira Kalamanos excused for her absence and sat on the bed next to Helena. She asked few brief questions about Manuel’s health and Helena used the time to adress Kosmas. She asked him if she could see manuel: this was the question that was on her lips since the very moment she saw Kosmas but it was hardly now when she could ask it. Her hopes had grown since Kosmas’ warning and she would be awarded with the fruits of her patience. Many things had happened since her last conversation with Manuel and she missed his presence. Kosmas’s denials cut her hopes and she felt part of her was dying. Her suspicions fastly filled the emptiness in her soul and deep inside she wondered if Kosmas was right to decline her request. Nothing remarkable happened in the rest of the conversation with Kira Kalamanos. Kosmas soon left them and Helena also decided to retire since Kira Kalamanos had to take care for her new and unexpected guests.

“ Take care of yourself, Kira Helena, “ Kira Ripsimia Kalamanos said for goodbye to Helena. Helena walked away but she stopped few moments after: Alexius Doukas approached her. His presence made her feel slightly nervous but she could divest herself from her worries.

“ Al - Kir Doukas, “ she fastly corrected her mistake on time. She did not want to give more food for the gossips about affair between her and the younger son of Nicephorus, “ I hope you have heard the good news about your brother “
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Asen View Post
    Nobody here?

Well, tomorrow there will be an update and I hope that one day, after hundred of years somebody may look in this story...
    Apologies Stephen, the Mead Hall has slowed somewhat in the wake of Tamur's writing contest. But it will pick up again, the MH is nothing if not consistent in it's ability to have both highs and lows.

But onward to your story, as I have stated before I really like it but imo i find your writing style perhaps a little (for lack of a better term) rigid. You refer to characters by their full names often - even in the main body and not in dialogue. If you wish to make it sound proper, i can see the logic in that then. But don't be afraid to throw in "Miss" or just shorten it by "Kira" for example.

Other than that, it's easy to see your style is evolving nicely, no doubt about that! keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Monk; 08-12-2008 at 02:46.

Blog Entries

Helena felt the eyes of the present people were focused on them.
    “Welcome, Kira Helena,” Alexius slightly nodded at her and added politley, “I will be glad to hear them. If you do not mind I can accompany you “

“ It will be pleasure for me, Kir Doukas “

They walked together and he looked at her with his enigmatic black eyes.

“ You told me you have good news about my brother. “

She was slightly nervous but replied to his sight with a smile,

“ This is true, Kir. Kosmas told me he had overcome the shock. He is well now. “

“ Constantine Matsakes should have stopped him. He was too weak... How does he look now? I was not allowed to visit him “

“ Really? I was not, too. Probably Kosmas has had good reasons to limit the access to Manuel. Kir Matsakes did make a big mistake. “

At that time they had reached he door of the house and went out on the noisy street. The new accident had created chaos in the area and Helena saw many guards dispatched in the area of the house. There were still huddle of people here and there but it seemed the order had already been restored. The carriage of Helena was not here but the guards of Alexius Doukas were and two beautiful black horses were expecting them. The men of Alexius rushed to help Helena but she sent them away. Her dress was unsuitable for riding but she was a good rider and it was beneath her dignity to accept such a help. The horse was brilliant: it was good-tempered and strong animal that was perfect for city walks. As Helena got on her horse she looked at Alexius Doukas who smiled at her.

“ Kira Helena, accept this horse as a gift from the Doukas family. This is small compensation for the inconvenience we caused you. “

This is the second time Alexius gave her a present. It was not extraordinary for a hetaira to receive gifts from high-ranked nobleman but now Helena did not think of her relations with the Doukas as business. She politely declined the Alexius’ offer but this time Alexius Doukas was not surprised.

“ Never mind, Kira. I see Kaliopa, the horse you ride, likes you and she will be at your disposal any moment you wish. Kaliopa is a fine horse, as far as I can remember her ancestors came from the stables of the Egyptian sultan. Unfortunately, she is not very good for hunting but I already saw you have quite good horse for this purpose. “

“ You are flattering me, Kir Doukas… Hunt? What do you mean? “

“ Kira, the moment is not suitable for such entertainment but once the nightmare for the Doukas and Morea is over, I promise you to organise one of the best hunts you have ever witnessed”

“ Well, I have a little experience… What kind of hunt do Kir Doukas fancy? “

He looked at her eyes in a way he had never done before. The confusion of Helena grew .
    “ Falcons, Kira. When I was a child, my father taught me how to understand these wonderful birds. You should never forget they will always keep something wild in them. In a way they are like the women”

“ This is interesting comparison, Kir,” she said concealing her real emotions, “I agree with you, though I know many men who would not. “

“ These men are fools. You should not play with the fire. I think the similes between the falcons and the women do not end with their wild hearts. “

“ You have interesting point of view, Kir. According to many you overestimate the power of the weak women. We do not have sharp claws and powerful curved beak - “

“ I caught your irony, Kira. I stand on my words, though. Women are not servants, they are partners. There must be always a woman next to successful man. I know you read history books. We both know what Justinian the Great would have been without his wife Theodora “

Yes, Helena had read that story. Justinian the First was a mighty Emperor, he almost restored the Roman Empire in its old borders, and he also built one of the wonders of the Christian word, the Hagia Sofia church. However, the story of this Emperor and the Empire could have been different, if he had ran during the huge rebellion in Constantinople in the beginning of his reign. Then it seemed the providence used his wife Theodora in order to save the deputy of Christ on the Earth. The ambitious wife spoke to his husband with bold words and told him if he was not to fight for his throne, then she would. Justinian was persuaded to fight and with the God’s help he won. The name of Empress Theodora was almost a synonym unscrupulous ambition but it was also associated with the woman who rose from the brothels of Constantinople to the throne of the Roman Empire.

“ Kir Doukas, we were talking about the falcons… I truly did not expect that your love for the falcons was motivated by… women “

“ Well, this was only one of the reasons. The other reason is that I admire their fly. The skies are the only place that have not been conquered by the men. And I appreciate those creatures that came from world I do not know. And once again, my inquisitiveness is not the only key. At first, you are fascinated touching what you do not know, then you want to contact it because you want to learn and finally when you have started to know it you realise a firm relationship has been formed between you and that creature. It has become part of your soul in the way the earth and the sky are connected in one. Because the lonely soul is incomplete.“

“ I see... Kir Doukas, it seems you have fallen in love with your falcons… “
    Intuitively, she met his dark eyes and heard his polite and even… soft voice…
    “ In a way, I have… “

Suddenly they stopped. It took some time for Helena to realise they had just reached her carriage and to get off her horse. Alexius also followed her and helped her enter in the carriage. As Helena sat in the carriage she heard the voice of Alexius saying, “ Helena, I will wait you in the garden of the palace three hours later “

Helena met his eyes that were gleaming with strange soft light. She knew she had to refuse to him. Her mouth said different words, though.

“ I agree, Alexius “
    --------------------

After they had went out of the room with her guests, Kira Ripsimia Kalamanos and Kir Constantine Matsakes walked away together. When the mistress of the house decided they were far enough from any inquisitive ears and eyes, she stopped and addressed the steward,

“Kir Constantine, I am listening to you, “she said. They did not have much time because her nosy guest could become suspicious. Constantine came straight to the point,

“Manuel is too weak. I think he should spend the night in your house if you do not mind“

She barely reached his chest and Constantine looked down so that he could have an eye contact with her. Although he did not miss any detail from the face of his interlocutor, it was not the persistent scrutiny that he respected the people with.

“Of course, I do not,” the woman replied,” You have been a good friend of my husband and you are a man whom I trust. “

It was unlikely that she would decline his request. She would not object even in case he gave orders in her house without permission. The good manners had to be kept, though. He also judged it would be a sign of civilized behaviour to warn her about the consequences. If somebody overheard their conversation, this would make their game more believable.

“You should know this place will be flooded with soldiers. I will have to bring some of my servants in your house as well. “

“I know, “the woman simply answered and smiled discretely, “I will be happy to help you and Manuel“

“Thank you, Kira. I am in debt, “he slightly nodded in order to put emphasis on his gratitude… and on his play.

“You are welcome, Kir, “she said and met his eyes again. He read her real thoughts but before he could answer her he realized somebody was watching them. He slowly turned his head at the direction where Theophil Branas was standing. Ripsimia overcame her confusion swiftly and almost immediately greeted her new guest.

“I was waiting for you, Kir Branas!” Her voice sounded as spontaneous as she had just met an old friend “I hope you will find some rest in hot day like this and tell us some news from Thessalonica. “

“Kira Kalamanos, I will have to decline your offer. In fact, I was attending Manuel Doukas and speaking with the steward “

“I see, “the eyes of Constantine were focused on Theophil Branas but he knew how well Ripsimia Kalamanos played her role. She must have looked disappointed. “You will not share the company of me and my friends but you are also determined to take Kir Matsakes with you. Fine! But I hope one day you will compensate me and my friends with interesting stories “

“Of course, Kira “

“Good, “he heard Ripsimia saying in a businesslike manner and probably she had smiled politely, “Now I leave you. “

He heard the echo of her retreating steps and continued to scrutinize the judge. In few moments they would be alone and their conversation would start. However, there were many things that should not be heard by other. This short talk would only put the foundation of what would be discussed in the Palace.

Theophil Branas had worked hard to learn more about the Doukas family. He seemed to be in a stronger position than him, the right hand of the late despot. This was not entirely true, though. The judge also had at least three weaknesses. Theophil Branas wanted to bring justice, he wanted to serve the Empire, and he wanted to avenge his late cousin. Ah, and there was probably a fourth one that made the situation even more complex. For until his arrival in Morea, his weaknesses existed in some kind of harmony that made him the successful judge he was. After that he had to make compromise... By all probability he had found many things by either chance or talent. The today accident with Manuel was a gold-mine for the judge. Constantine felt pain in his bitten hand but he did not even look at it. This would be a sign of weakness. He was the master of these lands.

“Kir Matsakes, I must speak with you, “Theophil Branas finally broke the silence.

“I have not forgotten, “Constantine said and made a step further. “But as you know the circumstances have changed. “

“I know,” the judge replied calmly,” this is the reason for my presence here. We should act swiftly. “

“Good. “ Constantine made a pause that used to shorten the distance with his interlocutor. The closer the distance was, the more silent their voices became. “Unfortunately, the condition of Manuel had deteriorated. But I will stand on my word. “

“When?” Theophil Branas stared at his eyes. In Branas’ eyes there was a little irritation that was nothing but a sign of his weakness. Yet there was much determination that also showed to Constantine that the judge would not play a minor role in this game for long.

Constantine did not answer him immediately. This would have spoilt the game. Yes, there was a risk of being overheard. Yes, nobody should know he and Theophil Branas were so close allies. And yes, he found a little pleasure in this conversation. He controlled the situation just in the way he had planned.

“Patience is a virtue, Kir Branas. You should know that. “

Theophil Branas stayed calm and even the slightest hints of weakness had disappeared. Instead there was an iron determination that his voice hinted,
    “Slowness could be dangerous, though, Kir Matsakes. “

He smiled to his ally showing appreciation to his answer and to his composure. The conversation about Manuel was just a façade: the judge knew he would not be allowed close to him in such a delicate moment. He needed to speak with him, Constantine Matsakes. He had to step back and to give part of what the judge wanted. Anything else would be a mistake in such a delicate situation. He slowly bent his head and he whispered in his ear. “I will expect you at dusk in the basement, Kir Branas. It is pleasure to work with you, “Constantine Matsakes said without any trace of irony. Then he met the eyes of the judge once again and said louder but still silent enough, so that impression of something secret be left in a third party.

“Now, Kir Branas, after you received what you wished and understood my delicate position, we can continue with our conversation “

------------
    As Constantine was riding his horse, his attention was caught by certain carriage he had recognized immediately. These were the hetaira carriage and the hetaira men. But… he recognized one of the servants of Alexius Doukas amongst them. The muscles of his face obeyed his will and none of his lips curled in a cunning smile.
    -----------------

Constantine had bent on his chair with his eyes closed and his arms resting. He was not sleeping, though. On the opposite he was trying to catch any noise from approaching guests. Theophil Branas was never late.

He heard somebody knocking on the door. It had to be Ioannis, his servant, who was leading the guest .Constantine rose and prepared to meet Theophil Branas. He put his right hand under his tunics and touched the hilt of his knife that he was ready to use against any unwanted guests.

“Come in, Ioannis, “Constantine said and his servant entered into the room followed by the judge. Constantine looked at his servant and this was enough for them to understand each other. The servant bowed and went out.

“You wanted to see me, Branas. Your wish is fulfilled, “Constantine told the judge.

“Fulfilled is not the exact word, Matsakes. I came for answers of my questions, “Theophil Branas said as he looked around. He had probably noticed the bottles with different substances he kept in the room. “The first of them is what this place is? “

“This place is my personal herb-store. “ Constantine calmly explained to Theophil Branas “Yes, Nicephorus used the services of two physicians. The first was of course John. The second is me. I believe the reason for this is he needed more skilful healer than me “

Theophil Branas smiled wryly. “I think you speak half-truths, Matsakes. The reason you keep this medicines here is not Nicephorus’ health. I think it is connected with the health of his enemies”

Constantine slightly opened his eyes,
    “You mean I poisoned some of the men he hated. “

“I have no proofs, Matsakes. But I think too many people stood between Nicephorus Doukas and his dreams. Let me start from his father who died of heart attack, his brother who died during a hunt - “

“And your cousin “

“Right. And Dyogenes Branas. “

“It seems I can not persuade you in my innocence – “

“No, you cannot. But I would like to change the focus of the present conversation. I think you are the only man alive who knew the Nicephorus’ secrets – “

“I see, “Constantine interrupted Theophil Branas and pointed out the chair situated on his right. “ But this will be a long and difficult conversation, Branas, and I think you should sit”

Constantine sat on his large chair but he did not bend on it. From this uncomfortable but aristocratic posture he watched every movement of Theophil Branas who crossed the semi-dark room and took his seat. The steward was silent and forced his guest to repeat his question.

“Matsakes, I hope you caught my hint”

“I think you are wrong. No man ever knew all the secrets of Nicephorus. I also caught you want something from me but I could not understand what exactly you meant.”

“I mean the relationship between the late despot and his son,” the judge said and Constantine felt the Branas scrutiny on his injured hand.

“I think this delicate topic have already been discussed, Branas”

“As you said the circumstances have changed. I left with the impression there is some secrets between you and Manuel Doukas”

“Why do you think so, Branas?”

“Your hand gives me enough evidence”

“I simply tried to help Manuel”

“No, you tried to shut his mouth. You feared he might scream something that can hurt the reputation of the Doukas and your own. “

“This is interesting conclusion”

“Yes, it is. I think you would be even more interested after I remind you the age of his lovers”

“What do you mean?” Constantine asked, though he perfectly knew the hint of the judge.

“I would say that I spoke with certain person on his death bed. “

“You came for answers but you speak with riddles”

“I mean Athanasos, may he rest in peace. And I mean he liked young boys. Was I clear enough?”

Constantine smiled ironically and said,
    “You men I killed Athanasos and… This is non-sense “

“I doubt you have expected from him to speak. You trusted him. But I am afraid you underestimated his conscience”

“Are you sure he was aware of his words when you spoke with him? You know death is often painful“

“Absolutely. For the death is the time when the fear is greater “

“So you think Manuel was raped by his father… “

“Am I wrong?”

“You have ready answers for your questions,” Constantine said with his ever-calm voice and stared at the eyes of the judge. He made long, unexpected, and equivocal pause. “You really do not need mine,” he finally uttered.

“Are you sure, Matsakes?” The judge said before he could consider his words. Constantine cast piercing look at him and said curtly,

“I think we exhausted the topic. Are these all of your questions? “

“No, and you know it. I will ask you about the certain woman whose body had become almost as famous as she was when alive”

“You mean Clyo?”

“You have spent seven years in Morea. Tell me more about her”

“Clyo was a hetaira. She was young and ambitious girl. It is not surprising she caught the eye of Nicephorus. He used her to counter Helena’s influence on Manuel”

“This is something I already know. “

Constantine gave a faint smile,
    “Good. The little problem is that her past was quite unclear. I know for sure her mother abandoned her after the birth. The father is of course unknown. I also know she was a difficult girl and preferred the life of a hetaira to that of a nun. This profession suited her. I would say she had spent at least a night with each of the elite of Morea. This was her business after all. Yet, she did not drop the poorer citizens… and also the innkeeper. I think she intended to become the owner of the hetaira house, the brothels and the inn of Theodore after his death. The problem was that nothing of his estate was really his. He simply ruled the estate of the Doukas.” Again, Constantine tried to penetrate into the conscience of Theophil Branas and added, “Contrary to what you expect I advised Nicephorus against using this bitch. She was too good manipulator and her past was too questionable to be trusted. She was close to Manuel. She was also close to the physician of Nicephorus”

“Was not the despot against such a dangerous relation? “

“The most interesting thing is that the affair with the physician John seemed to have developed too fast. She had outsmarted us. “

“I wonder what you found in her room.”

“I found nothing that worth saying. I wanted to know why her maid ran away the same night Clyo was poisoned “

“Do you have a supposal?”

“You are the one who makes supposals”

The corners of the Theophil mouth quivered,

“Good, Constantine. The last but not the least… when can I speak with Manuel?”

“Once he feels better, you will speak with him.”

“I hope you will not delay this moment too much. We both know we have common interests.”
    -----------------

“Password?”

Constantine heard the harsh voice of the guard.

“Dragon,” Constantine calmly answered and passed by the post. He entered the large gate of the Kalamanos house and entered the large yard followed by his men wearing torches in their hands. In the house of the Kalamanos he was almost like in his own home. He disbanded his men who went on their posts. Constantine clasped the hilt of his scimitar and went up the stairs where the bedrooms were. He checked the post at the Manuel room and went further the corridor. His hooded figure passed his own bedroom and stopped at the room behind corner. It was locked. Constantine Matsakes knocked once, then three times, and then once again. Somebody set the door ajar and he heard soft and silent voice, to which Constantine whispered,

“It is me, Odysseus “

The door was unlocked and Constantine entered the chamber of Kira Ripsimia Kalamanos. She locked the door behind him and bent on it.

“I was waiting for you -”

“Save your words for tomorrow,” Constantine approached her and gently bit her lip. She replied and slowly started to undress him. She put his scimitar aside and also his leather whip made of snake skin. He removed his daggers and knives and beside that her silk dressing gown….

------------

Note: Yanis, Ioannis, John: these are one name. The little proble was that at the beginning of my writing I did not know that. So we have three Johns:

John the physician of Nicephorus: dead

John aka John the Fast Sword: that soldier with Ephigenia and near the first accident with Manuel

John the servant of Constantine (Ioannis in this case, though I think I'll finally replace his name with John)
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 09-06-2008 at 14:49.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

“You make me feel as young as I was before I met my husband,” she whispered at his ear as they were over. She needed somebody to talk and it would be impolite to sleep now.
    “You are not old, Ripsimia”

“Do not lie to me!” she laughed. “We both are quite old. Wake up, we are in our forties! I think you still remember what you once told me about this age…“

“It was twenty years ago and times are changing. This night is a good proof we are not as old as you say “

“Naughty boy!” she almost laughed as she calmed his cheek with her plump hand. “But we missed our chance years ago. The first time I met you in Constantinople twenty years ago. It was the day I met the Emperor and he blessed our marriage with my husband. I still think I’ve made the wrong choice.”

“I had no title and no lands,” Constantine whispered, “I was simply bastard of a pronoiar.”

“I’ve never cared about titles. I should have made the crazy thing to marry you years ago. I was far more elegant then”

She lied to him. Ripsimia truly looked better than now but it was not true she could have ignored the prestige of the Kalamanos family for that of a man with a doubtful origin. Yes, she could have used him for a lover but she would have never married him. Constantine smiled at her,

“Well, you do not look bad now”

“Liar!” she exclaimed.

“Then I will leave, “he said and gently kissed her cheek for goodbye. He crawled to the other end of the bed with swiftness unexpected for his age, caught his trousers and put them on. Then he stood up and started fastening his belt. At some time he cast a glance on Ripsimia: he did not want to appear impolite. She had turned her head and was gazing him.

“Constantine…” he heard her soft voice. They have been doing this for over a year and Constantine thought she was used to such a sudden ending of their meetings. Constantine never expected that her voice could lose its jocosity and could become so… beseeching. Somehow this almost touched his heart. This woman was lonely: her marriage had been unhappy, her children were far away, the man whom she loved could not reply with the same… Constantine stopped fastening his belt.

“Are you well?” he said and added, “Wait” He went round the bed and knelt before her. “I am not angry at you, Ripsimia. You know why I cannot spend the night with you” He was not sure who talked in him: his conscience or his mercantile soul.

Ripsimia looked down as she tried to conceal her real feelings and said, “I know I did not offend you. I know you have to leave me. But – “She suddenly stopped. She was a strong woman and she would never make the others feel pity for her. She would send him away. He knew her well.

“Go, “she gently told him. “You are right. “

“Ripsimia - “

“Go! If they catch us together-“

“You should not worry about me. I am one of the most powerful men in Morea” He did not dare to say “the most”, though he knew he was. “The system I and Nicephorus have built works very well. Some of the dynatoi can object but many others would support me. “

Ripsimia eyed him with amusement as she had seen how powerful her lover was for the first time. Her resistance to appear strong broke and she asked him,

“Are you sure?”

“Of course, “Constantine smiled at her.

For a moment she stood silent and wiped the single tear from her cheeks. Constantine approached her and their lips almost touched when Ripsimia looked away and told him,

“I must speak with you. The night will soon be over and the morning will come. I doubt we will have much time for each other then.”

“What do you mean?” Constantine said and added “Have I done something wrong” Yet he knew he had not. He suspected his mistress knew something he did not.

“Do you remember when we met today?”

“Of course, I do”

“Then you should know something. After we separated, I went back to my guests… As I reached the room, I noticed I have not closed the door well. Helena and Kosmas were speaking silently but I grasped they were speaking something about Manuel. Kosmas warned her she could be in danger and told her the truth about the Clyo’s death.”

Constantine had already sat on the bed next to his mistress and was carefully listening to every single word of hers.

“Could you hear what exactly he told her about Manuel?”

“I think they suspected he was poisoned. I am sure I could have learned more if I had not heard somebody approaching. I feared he might be one of my guests”

“Thank you, Ripsimia. What you told me is enough.”

“And yet, I underestimated the situation. If only I knew they were going to discuss something so important, I could have used the secret room –“

“It is not your fault. Kosmas also surprised me, though after considering the situation, it was quite predictable”

“I think he tried to protect the girl. You hate her, don’t you?”

“Hate? No, I do not. I do not like her either. However, she does hate me”

“Why?”

“Years ago she lost a child and she blamed me on it. Sad story”

“I myself have lost two children -”

“You are strong. Helena could not cope with it. ”

“You know her better… But be careful… Enemies are lurking and the Norman fox is near. Do not make more enemies than you can cope with…” She stared her worried eyes at him and he caught her hand.

“Do not worry; I can take care of myself”

“Yet be careful. Now go! ” Her voice stayed soft but now it hinted imperativeness it lacked before. They kissed for goodbye and Constantine rose and went to take his tunics that had been scattered around the private corridor of Ripsimia’s chamber.

-----------------------------------------

Manuel could not fall asleep. His head was as heavy as the lead the aristocrats used to seal their correspondence. Attending the church with the body of his father was exhausting. He wished this were the only reason for his terrible condition. It was not. He was incest and it did not matter he was forced to do it. It was a sin. Probably he would burn in infernal fire to pay for his father’s deed. The rest of his life would be no better: the shame would always be on him. He wondered how many people knew about this. Did Helena know?

Slowly but surely he started to restore the puzzle. He had found relief in alcohol. This was his way to forget. In the taverns he met with women for the first time. No, these were not the humble and shy maids he knew from the Palace. And no, they were not like his mother. These were different and gave him the pleasure he needed. Or at least they were supposed to have given him. He barely remembered what they had been doing. There were just some faint memories. He doubted the reason for this absence of memory was the accident. He was almost sure the reason was slightly different. The more women he was sleeping with, the more he realized he was different from his father. His father liked men and even boys. He did not. His world had started to change to better and then he met Helena. His first night with her he did not remember. He was very drunk. However, she was different from the others. She was like an angel for him: she helped him, in her presence he was a different man. He often thought she was too good for him.

All day he wanted to get some alcohol and drink until he could no longer raise the bottle. Now he wanted Helena. He missed her soft voice, her gentle hands, her delicate neck, and her divine body. She did not come to meet him, though. Most probably she did not have the opportunity. He had heard what had happened on the graveyard… She was probably working for his release. She had put her life to danger because of him. He had forbidden her. And yet she did it. It was good she was finally released. But he was not there. No, his brother did that service for him…

The moon was shining and his room was not entirely dark. He could see the forms of the single stool and the small table next to his bed. He raised his hand and stared at it. He twisted it as he had seen it for the first time. He clenched his fist as he threatened a demonic creature lurking in the shadows. His strong fist was useless – he did not defend his love. Was his brother to be trusted?

The day Alexius arrived he admitted him his guilt and knelt asking for forgiveness. He had sworn him he would never again betray his brother’s trust. He had believed him. The moment he saw them together with his mistress in the church, it was not his brother’s oath that first came in his mind. Was it not his shattered belief in his brother that caused his crisis? Was it not his snaky face that called the memory of his horrible father? His brother had no guilt he looked like his father and Manuel knew that.

Yet if he was truly in love with the hetaira he could become a threat for him. He had to know and in case it needed he had to prevent it.

Manuel made an effort to rise and bent on the cushion. What could he do? He was weak even to walk alone and he was kept as a prisoner. The only reason he was moved to the Kalamanos house was that the trip to the Palace could deteriorate his condition. It was true his mentor Constantine was always at his disposal but Helena hated him. His friends were somewhere away: Stavrakis was as far as in Monemvasia, Damian seemed to avoid any contact with a potential traitor, and so did many others who feasted with him when he was the heir of Nicephorus. He was sick, isolated, cursed… His only hope was that Helena’s faithfulness would stay as firm as it had always been.
    ---------------------------

Ephigenia entered the room and the only servant present went out closing the door behind him. Constantine welcomed his guest with a short but penetrating look and rose. She approached him with silent steps and stopped in the middle of the room. She removed the hood from her head and patiently waited for her superior to speak.

“How is the Helena’s bodyguard?” he asked frankly. He had called her here, in the Mistra Palace, with a particular purpose and he did not have any time to waste.

The prostitute did not dare to look at his eyes that could be interpreted as misbehaviour and said,

“His condition is improving, master”

He knew that. He had already been informed by the physician who had healed David. He needed details.

“Did he say anything? People often mumble things they think but never dare to say”

“In fact he did, master. He was calling the name of Helena Theodorina”

This is interesting, he thought. “I want details, Ephigenia. We both know the value of the money. “

Ephigenia slightly raised her head so that an eye contact between the two interlocutors was made possible. It was not her first meeting with the steward and she knew what exactly she was expected to do in each stage of the conversation.

“I would say each second word of his was Helena. I think he experienced the night they were captured again.”

He wanted facts, not supposals. However, unlike many of the aristocrats, he would never interrupt his informer. It was impolite and a stupid demonstration. She was clever enough not to play with him and to recognize his superiority. He did not want to humiliate her. This could damage any loyalty in the heart of that woman. She might turn out to be a useful weapon again.

“Good. I am interested how he accepts the company of you and your mother. “

“He does very well, master. The only thing he is worried about is the guards of the house. “

“This was expected. He is still a prisoner. I think you should continue according to the plan until he fully recovers. As far as I know him, he would try to contact with somebody superior. You should be careful and in case he tries to do this, I must be the first man to know that”

“Your wish will be fulfilled, master”

“I have no doubts in this. I also want to be informed in case he recovers to a stage where he will be ready to meet me. I have to speak with him, Ephigenia”

“Yes, master”

”Now you are free, Ephigenia“

The prostitute bowed and took her leave. As he was watching her exquisite back, Constantine contemplated her actions. She loyally served him so far but it seemed there was an affair between her and John the Fast Sword. He never forgot John was on the place where the accident with Manuel happened and he had decided to be careful with him. As an unrecognized bastard of Kir Kalamanos John had always been a special case… Now his relations with Ephigenia made him even more special…

Ready. I've been absent for a week and this slightly delayed the updates. My mind was simply busy with building the plot and it seemed I have made two (fortunately ) insignificant mistakes. Few notes:

1)I decided to "postpone" the meeting between Alexius and Helena. I think too many events would have happened in the end of the day, if their meeting had happened just three hours after their conversation. Once I post that, I will fix it in the previous post

2) There is another minor, and I'd say insignificant detail. Compare the conversations between Helena-Kosmas and Constantine-Ripsimia (that just before their meeting with Theophil) and Constantine-Theophil that followed. Helena-Kosmas and the rest two dialogues happen at the very same time. Ripsimia-Constantine was short one, and Ripsimia had a little time to overhear the conversation of Helena-Kosmas. It turned out I have made a little mistake with timing since there is no way for Helena to see Constantine and Theophil walking together when Ripsimia entered the room. At that time they were talking on a safe distance from the door. This is to be corrected(fortunately, it will have no impact on the story).
    ---

Another note: the dynatoi means "powerful", "strong" and is the greek name for the aristocrats.

The Norman fox, Ripsimia talked about is Demetrius Raoul. As I have mentioned somewhere in the chapter, his family was found by Norman mercenaries.

Last edited by Prince Cobra; 09-22-2008 at 13:32.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Sorry, the next scene took me much time to write. I plan to write one more scene and then to post.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Helena had woken up half an hour ago but she was still lying on her bed. Yes, it was a sign of laziness but she cared little about it. She was not a peasant girl who had to work on the field. She was a hetaira and her business included other difficulties. A hetaira should meet her clients and should make them happy regardless of what she felt. She was an artist, she had to sing and dance. She often had to deal with arrogant clients. The risk was smaller than those the prostitutes took, but the hetairas still risked their beauty and safety.

She had not gone through all this. She had become a mistress of Manuel Doukas and she was not bothered by other clients. Manuel had hit her once but it was far from the thrashing her colleagues suffered. And he was drunk, and he was feeling sorry for this… She was saved from the hardships of her craft but she had to cope with many others. From the beginning of her affair with Manuel she clashed with two powerful and merciless men – Constantine Matsakes and Nicephorus Doukas - and she had fallen in love with a man whose life had been ruined. She also suffered much… Now she was not sure if the life of a common hetaira was easier…

She did not want to go back to these horrible days. She had to look into the future. She had to save Manuel from his prison… She did not know from where she could begin … No, she knew… Clyo, her rival, might have played important role in this story. Her maid had disappeared. Constantine seemed to search for something in her room but he could not find it. Was it possible that the poor maid had stolen what Constantine needed…? Absolutely. But what could she do? Constantine had a whole network of spies and informers in Morea. She had only Alexius…

Alexius complicated the situation even more than it was. He liked her… he was flirting with her… she did nothing… no, she replied to him… Why? She could not answer that. Probably she needed him. He was one of the few allies she had…or…

She turned on her other side, closed her eyes and buried her head deeper into the soft cushion. She needed more time to reflect on it. If she had the opportunity she would have spent another hour on her bed contemplating how to proceed with Alexius… She did not have it. She had promised to meet him… But this time she would be more cautious.

She totally ignored the appeals of her body for more time on the soft bed and she rose bending on her right arm. Then she put away the blanket and put her slippers on. She walked along her room and approached the door of Maria’s room. The chamber of Helena consisted of two rooms. They both were equally large but the one that led to the corridor was supposed to be inhabited by one of her maids. Helena changed this. Maria was simply a child and she preferred to keep her in the safer inner room of her chamber. Maria was to meet too many hardships in the path of a hetaira… She deserved to have a happy childhood.

As Helena approached the room of her maid she was seized with unexpected inquisitiveness. Was Maria as happy as she looked? What was she doing in her room when she was alone? She bent down and looked through the key lock. She saw Maria playing with her dolls and she immediately recognized the doll she gently held – her name was Princess Helena. …For her greatest surprise there was a little white rolled handkerchief in the hands of the doll... Helena stopped her observation. She rose and bent on the wall. The mere thought of her abortion gave her the creep. That day she lost part of her… she lost more…

She could not change the past. She had to forget the blood – hers and that of her unborn child - split that day… She had to forget the misery and loneliness she felt after that. And she was a hetaira – a woman who was not expected to have children. Not that she dreamed of being a mother. But she could feel the change her body and her mind… Now she had Maria… She had to do her best in order to prevent her from what she experienced… She stepped back again and again and as she felt the bed behind herself she sat.

“Maria,” she called and the girl appeared from the door. Helena pretended to be just getting up and asked sleepily,

“Could you help me with my hair, Maria”

Once Helena had finished with her preparation and went out on the street few could recognize the seductive hetaira whose beauty was adored in Central Peloponnesus. Now she wore plain brown cloak that merged with the colours of the crowd. There was only one trusted companion with her: it was the old Nicholas, her groom. Her most trusted guards were absent: David was injured badly and kept under guard; the others seemed to be in the Theodore’s inn. She still had no idea how she would pass the guards of the Palace but Alexius should have arranged this.

Barely had she stepped on the paved street, when she was approached by another hooded figure. She saw a familiar face. It was slightly dark but definitely possessed something of the nobility of Mediterranean. She swiftly realized Alexius had sent his new guard - the Catalan she knew from the duel in the camp – to meet her. It was clear why he did not send the other foreigner: red-haired people were seldom met in these lands. She followed the mercenary and reached the corner of a big house. Three other hooded figures were waiting for her: she recognized two of the Roman guards of Alexius. The man in the middle approached her groom and took the reins of her horse. Nicholas did not try to oppose Alexius and walked away after a discrete glance from Helena. The new “groom” scrutinised her horse and told her as he tapped the animal,

“Good choice! Arabian blood… and a fast one… ready to break a whole army “ He looked at her and she replied to Alexius with a faint smile. He hinted at their meeting few days ago. She approached the horse and climbed on it. Once again she declined any help from Alexius. After he gave her the reins, Alexius went to his horse and got on it. A single look was enough for them to understand each other and they headed down the main street of Mystra…

Helena and the other four riders reached the ruins of Ancient city. It was not one of the castles that were destroyed during the reconquest of Morea. No, the city was more ancient and there were still tales about harsh people and great warriors who were invincible to pain and fear. Alexius raised his hand that was a sign for the group to halt. Alexius looked down studying the ground and jumped on the stone plates. Several green lizards responded to that intrusion: they ran between the stones and hid into the dry grass. Helena immediately caught the danger around her: on place like this people often met snakes. These meetings seldom ended with death but she had to be careful. She felt somebody approaching her. It was Alexius surrounded by his just dismounted guards. The son of Nicephorus stretched his hand offering his help. She felt sorry she did not dismounted earlier so that she could avoid this moment. Yet, she was slightly flattered by this sign of chivalry. She took his hand. She found out his grip to be surprisingly balanced: it was strong enough to be safe and weak enough not to cause her any discomfort. In the next moment her boots echoed on the stone. Alexius slowly led her aside from the ruins using the path that led to the small olive forest that probably covered half of the ancient city.

Nobody spoke in the next few moments. The only sound she could hear was the clapping of hoofs and the steps of her companions.

They reached a huge cedar tree. The guards tied their horses and Alexius took her to the thick shade of the tree. He looked at her with that sight and then at the guards who were ready to take their posts on the local trees. With a determined look Alexius make them change their mind and sent them away. They disappeared and Helena was left alone with her uncertainty. Alexius took the rug that the guards had put next to the cedar tree. He spread it on the ground and invited her to take her place. She could not decline again. She had been ready and he sat next to her. He still kept a polite distance between them.

Alexius stared at the ruins and for few long moments he did not say anything. Unlike their previous meetings, this time they almost did not talk to each other. Alexius sighed and looked at her. He looked at her but he was not watching at her eyes. He was staring somewhere right of her cheek.

“I wanted to show you this place. It is very special for me”

Their conversations with Alexius never went smoothly. They were always talking about things that had nothing that was related to them. Now this mysterious man tried to share one of his innumerous secrets. She had to answer him but she did not know what to say. So she kept silence and waited for him to continue.

“If there was a place that inspired me to join the army it was this. Probably you know what kind of people lived on this place many years ago?”

“The Spartans?”

“Yes, this is Sparta. All of the local cities were either its allies or vassals. And these all took part into the fight against the Persians. They were few but they won.”

“I see”

“Do you know women were strong enough to fight?”

“Yes, I have heard something about this. Although I think the Amazons were more famous with that.”

“Not only they,” he stared at her. “Do you remember our first meeting?”

“In the garden of the Doukas house?” He looked slightly amused. “I do,” she added.

He swiftly overcome his surprise and shortened the distance between their bodies.

“Many things happened since that day. I am no longer the child I was. “

He was so close to her… Neither the charm of his black eyes, nor the attractiveness of his strong body could eliminate her rising confusion that made her pull back. Alexius did not notice that slight movement and continued to approach her. Helena gathered all of the remnants of her will and raised her hand to stop him

“No,” she heard her voice saying.

Surprisingly, the dark fire in his eyes went out. For a moment Alexius appeared to be confused and rose from the rug. With slight embarrassment Alexius walked around and bent on the tree with his left hand.
    “You are right; I do not know why I did it. Forget -” The words were on his lips but he needed time to say them. “You - are free to go. I and my guards will accompany you to Mystra. “

“Alexius -” she said. She was surprised by the sudden vulnerability of Alexius. No, she was not surprised. It seemed he was just as vulnerable as the other men were but he was hiding it very well. She also felt that she and only she could see that part of this man who so well combined the body of the soldier with the manners of the courtier. In fact it was her own reaction that she found truly surprising. She had always been faithful to Manuel, despite his numerous adulteries and past humiliation. Manuel was weak; he needed help and somebody to stay close next to him-

Alexius Doukas looked back from his shoulder. He slowly turned on her with his eyes on her. The surprise from his eyes was soon replaced by desire. He silently uttered her name and made a step towards her. This time she made no movement, her body refused to obey her will. She soon felt the hands of Alexius on her hips but it seemed his eyes had enchanted her. Then he slowly bent his head and…

The moment she felt his lips on hers she felt like a deer that was caught by a hunter. She broke free from his gentle grip and ran. Then she realized she had nowhere to hide. She did not know this place very well. Her helplessness caused her confusion grow and become anger. She glared at Alexius and hissed,

“What are you doing?”

Alexius did not say anything. He could not react adequately and looked like a naughty boy after his last mischief. Her anger slightly faded away but she could not help it.

“If you think I am a whore you can buy you are wrong! Get away! ”

Alexius was still standing there. He even dared to eye her with that sight!

“Jerk!” Helena hissed and rushed towards her horse. The guards went over their initial amusement and caught her. Helena protested and tried to fight but the grip on the guards was only strengthened to the extend they caused her pain. She knew she deserved that for what she had done and yet she was terrified from what could follow…

“No!” She heard the voice of Alexius. It was still slightly trembling but it had regained his imperiousness. As he appeared from the shades he looked first at Helena and then at his guards.
    “She is free to go. “ The guards slightly loosened their rude grip and waited further instruction from their master. “If she wants to go back to Mystra, then her desire will be fulfilled. However, she would be accompanied by us until I see her safe in her home. “

He looked at Helena and she nodded. “Now let her go! “ The guards dropped her and she turned back to see the arrogant smile of the Catalan face. Although she was relatively weak, her fist had high chances of being aimed at the mercenary’s nose. Yet, she simply clenched her teeth and walked away. Now she hated them all. The damned olive forest, the ancient ruins, the guards and of course Alexius. She little cared she heard him chiding the guard for his bad manners…

-----------
    -----------

Well, I'm slightly busy and I do not think I'll be ready with the next scene very soon. It also seems I have reconsider few details and probably to draft one more scene.

Yesterday I had some free time and edited my Post #0 adding a full Dramatis Personae. Ripsimia Kalamanos is the only charcter that is not added becuase I do not want to scare my readers with too many names and her appearing is a bit late. I also think she is remarkable character and she does not need adverising at this particular moment.

Last edited by Prince Cobra; 10-13-2008 at 20:28.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Still not given up.. Writing the next update... Hopefully until the next week it will be posted.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Asen View Post
    Still not given up.. Writing the next update... Hopefully until the next week it will be posted.
    You'll have to forgive my absence of late, Final exams are really not to be trifled with.

Eagerly waiting the next installment.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast