Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Byzantine intrigues: The Struggle for Power

Hmm, Constantine? The defender of the low classes, the one who managed to climb his way from the rookeries of Constantinople to the steward post of Mistra? The right hand man of the the able governor Nicephorus? He, evil? The common citizens of Mistra will watch you with suspicion!

Now we return to a meeting between the Helena's bodyguard and the steward of Mistra (who is by the way a former bodyguard of Nicephorus). David, as you perhaps remember, was injured and arrested some time ago. Helena had spent a night in the prison (alone, thank God!) whilst there was not much information about David apart from the fact he was recovering...
    -------------
    ------------

Under the amused sights of the local people inquisitive about such a sudden, though expected attention of an official, he entered the house of Ephigenia, the prostitute. Ephigenia was not present. Her mother was doing something around the fireplace in the single room of the house. A trusted guard was sitting on a stool having a friendly conversation with the old talkative woman. It was unwise to ask the guards to be always like statues, instead with a suitable training, some of them can work as eyes and ears of their master. The old woman tucked up her skirt and bowed submissively to the generous master. Her household was paid well and even provided with delicacies like meat. Constantine did not want to force this poor woman to unnecessary formalities and asked her to rise. Now the way to his aim was cleared and he saw the wounded man lying on the big bed in the room. He seemed to be recovering fast from his wounds. The man elbowed on his straw cushion showing his hostility towards his visitor.

“I am glad you look better than the previous time I attended you. I hope you are well taken care of“, Constantine smiled friendly.

As expected, the answer was a reserved one. “I do not complain, Kir Matsakes. I have received unusual treatment for a prisoner and I am inquisitive why”

Constantine looked at his right and ordered to be left alone. The old woman and the soldier silently slit out.

“I decided it is not fair to leave you dying of your wounds while your mistress escaped unharmed”

“I thought this was the purpose of the guards”

“Not exactly,” Constantine neatened his tunics, dragged the stool and sat on it. He placed his hand on his knee and added, “I also began my career as a bodyguard”

“We have different concepts for our craft”

“Is it because you can not have her?” The end of his lips quivered in something like a smile.

“Who?”

“Helena. For me it is clear you are in love with her. ” Constantine said with a hint of contempt in his voice. He wanted to penetrate deep into the heart of this man.

“I am not. Perhaps you know I am going to marry someone else ”

“You lie. You would have been married, if you were serious about it. ”

“That’s not true. I preferred –“ the man glared at Constantine, “I do not think I should explain myself to you”

“Mind your manners, bodyguard.” His features remained calm except for the nostrils, which slightly widened. “The fact you are not able to control your emotions does not mean you have the right to shout at me. I saved your life, one way or another and will be kind enough to save Helena, if you know how to keep your mouth shut”

“Is Helena in danger?” The voice of the man trembled slightly. “If you harm her -” The progress in his behavior was impressive.

“The right question is what will happen without my intervention, David. Helena is very confused; she and Manuel just ended their long relationship”

“What have you done?” the guard looked up and met his eye. It was too easy for the steward to read his mind.

“Nothing,” calmly replied Constantine. “The magic between them is gone. Helena chose Alexius”

The guard hesitated for a moment.

“She searched the perfect partner, the one who is not to cause her many problems… I am afraid Alexius is a very wrong choice, David”

“Why do you think so, Kir Matsakes?” the man had strained his nerves awaiting the answer.

Constantine had already calculated how much of the puzzle the Helena’s bodyguard should know. His words followed one after another as if he was telling a tale, not a chain of mysterious events leading to the son of Nicephorus. “Alexius Doukas had a difficult childhood, David. His father had many responsibilities and little time for his family. His mother died when he was too young. He was put in the hands of several notable scholars but he was vulnerable and missed love of his parents.” Constantine made a deliberate pause and scrutinised the reactions of the guard. The man had stared in his mouth and if he was determined not to miss a single word of the message of the steward ... “Unfortunately, as the years progressed, this led to a certain obsession of proving himself and going out of the shadow of his father. Sooner or later his mania is to manifest itself for Alexius is not the man he pretends to be. He is a cruel man, David. In his childhood he poisoned the dog of Manuel because he was offended by his brother. I also have information about raping women whilst pillaging Turkish settlements. “

In fact he knew only one case of rape but sometimes truth had to be exaggerated. Each crime leads to another. The steward continued with the same calm tone of voice adding it a prompting element,” I am not sure whether he loves Helena or not but her liberty-loving personality is in a threat. He also plans to take her in Constantinople where she will be completely under his control. He is a dangerous man.”

“Why should I believe you, Kir Matsakes?” The guard said as the steward finished his short monologue. This time David did not dare to meet the eyes of his interlocutor.

“You have a choice to trust me or not. I never really harmed Helena and I can assure you she would not be alive if it were not for me”

David smiled ironically, “”Do you want to tell me you were protecting her all the past years?”

“Not of course. I am not such an altruist. Now when she and Manuel split off, I am indifferent to her fate. It all depends on you what my further stance would be.”

“Perhaps… but I still remember neither you, nor Kir Nicephorus helped my family when Kir Kalamanos seized our lands.”

Constantine studied the young face of the bodyguard. Some truths shall not be spoken. “Whilst on my service, nobody would harm you or her.”

David frowned but stayed silent, “I need time to consider your proposal, Kir Matsakes”

“Of course, David. I never expected a swift decision on this matter. But this could be a new beginning for your relations with Helena. I would not mind even a marriage and a quiet life in a middle sized pronoia. You have my word. ”

A long silence showed they had nothing more to discuss. Constantine rose from his chair and then David said the question that had always wandered in his head since the beginning of the conversation.

“Do you think I am a man who can be bribed in this way?”

“No, not of course. Not with money.” A long eye contact and Constantine took his leave. He would return soon.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 02-24-2010 at 19:19.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Cobra View Post
    Hmm, Constantine? The defender of the low classes, the one who managed to climb his way from the rookeries of Constantinople to the steward post of Mistra? The right hand man of the the able governor Nicephorus? He, evil? The common citizens of Mistra will watch you with suspicion!
    The characterisation made him seem evil. You said he hissed at one point, and he seems to enjoy Manuel's pain. He just seems a little forceful, maybe even arrogant.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    The characterisation made him seem evil. You said he hissed at one point, and he seems to enjoy Manuel's pain. He just seems a little forceful, maybe even arrogant.
    Well, this was a provocation. The citizens love him, Manuel views him as something like a father he never had... However, Helena and her circle share a totally different opinion about him.

The whole passage was like... I told you, Manuel, you made a mistake but I will stand behind you in this difficult moment.
    “I wish I could give you a medicine to overcome this feeling.” Constantine clenched his teeth and hissed in ear, “But you have to endure it”
    By the way, hissing perfectly fits with the feelings inside Manuel. The way Manuel gets it is like... I know your pain and the hatred you feel. And if hatred is the mean to survive and become stronger, so be it.

"forceful" in the way of unrealistic or persuasive?
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 02-25-2010 at 06:42.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Persuasive. Like he's planned his interactions.
    #Hillary4prism

Blog Entries

Alexius was unexpectedly dropped by the guards and this sudden release caught him completely unprepared. The descendant of the Doukas fell on his knees. He supported his body with his right arm and moaned. During the last three years he realized what humiliation means. But he felt the taste of victory now when Helena was finally his. He slowly rose from the dust watching the Matsakes’ lackeys with contempt. Despite their allegiance to the steward, they feared his origin.

He looked around but the hetaira was nowhere to be seen. He knew his brother would not kill her, he knew Matsakes had no interest in sending his puppet to death… But he was still very worried. The garden was quiet and the silence was only disturbed by whispers. None of these voices belonged to Helena who was perhaps too far away. Another horrible idea came to the mind of Alexius: was it possible that she forgave his brother? It was unlikely, she loved him, Alexius, and Manuel was a woman-chaser, drunkard and loser… and he hit her. Could the random fact he was a father of her only and unborn child be enough for her to forgive him? This was impossible, unthinkable. He walked to his left attempting to see what was happening in the garden. The guards were watching every movement of him perhaps given direct orders from Constantine to stop him from entering the garden. His efforts were in vain, for he could not see even a man from the Manuel’s surrounding. He was on the verge of losing control when he saw a dark shadow coming out of the nearest corner. Her beautiful black heir was in disarray, her mourning dress was disheveled and her naked shoulder was unsuccessfully covered with a veil. The make-up on her face was slightly smeared but somehow it did not decreased her beauty and make her look like a female daemon of seduction. The wild eyes burned his flesh. Even Matsakes’ lackeys moved away giving way to her. He touched her cold trembling hands and smelt her enchanting perfume. Alexius opened his mouth to say something –

“Leave him to his misery, Alexius. We go home,” Helena smiled and winked. Warm feeling spread in his body and his mind was completely disoriented by this unpredictable woman. She led him to her carriage, although he was the one supposed to support her. He helped her enter the carriage and followed. For a moment Helena’s attention was focused on the common people walking on the street. She shouted something at the carriage driver and bent on her seat. Helena grabbed the end of her scarf and removed it revealing her naked shoulder. The hetaira answered the unspoken question of Alexius with a mysterious smile. “We would spend the day in the Nicephorus’ hunting lodge”. She approached Alexius and bit his upper lip, Alexius almost instinctively replied. The cold hand penetrated beneath his tunics, he calmed her silk skin and attempted to remove the useless tattered dress. Their tongues touched and pleasure embraced all of Alexius’ body. It all ended in the very unexpected way it began but he could still feel her breath.

Helena whispered something in his ear with a voice he never heard before. For an instant a doubt glimpsed in his clouded mind but for the first time of so many years he was helpless to resist. He embraced Helena and gently kissed her neck.

“You are in a hurry. We have the whole night” The hetaira suddenly withdrew from him. For a moment he thought he had done something wrong but the Helena’s countenance told another story. She was playing cat-and-mouse game with him but for the first time in his life he would not oppose it. For the first time in his life he felt complete. The carriage suddenly shook and Alexius found himself lying on the floor of the carriage. Another shaking of the carriage and Helena also fell on him. They both started laughing. He watched the glimpse at Helena’s eyes, the clumsy way she managed to crawl on her seat…

----------

In the morning Helena slipped around sleeping Alexius. Completely naked she walked around the room to collect her dress, veils, and cloak. She dressed as swiftly as possible and negligently gathered her long hair beneath the scarf and covered it with a hood. Securing her disguise, she silently opened the door and went out. She looked at the guards of Alexius with suspicion. She was sure she heard some strange noises in the night.

Not long after this, Helena appeared before the gates of her home where the servants welcomed her with no questions. Maria was overwhelmed with joy at the arrival of the hetaira. The poor girl probably missed her a lot that evening. Helena smiled at her little maid and talked with the smart child until the servants prepared her bath. After this had been done she promised Maria to return soon and went to the room. She hoped she will keep her promise - in her childhood she always hated when the adults lied. In the room few maids had just put the last buckets of hot water into the large basin. Helena removed her dusty clothes and sunk into the water. She started spreading the soap on her body. First, she started with the neck, her shoulders and continued with her hands. She was doing all this slowly reflecting on the past events. She indeed slept with Alexius. He was not the cold statue from her nightmare but a gentle lover who often surpassed his brother in this delicate art. She loved Alexius for the wild passion he inspired in her. But she did not want Manuel dead. There was no future for them but she could be still his friend, no, an ally. This was fair.

The door squeaked and somebody entered. Helena expected a maid with another bucket of water but there was a silhouette of a man. Christopher looked down and grinned, “I am sorry for the intrusion, Helena”
    The hetaira put her hands on her chest as to preserve herself from the lewd of Christopher’s eyes. The assassin laughed, “Helena, it is useless to hide from me. I know every spot of your body”

“Leave now!” Her shouting did not influence this man at all.

“Kira Helena, I am here because I should give you message from - ”

“Get out!”

“Helena,” the man smiled, “it is important –“

With a sudden movement of her right hand she threw a wave of soapy water at the assassin. “Get away or I will call the guards!”

The assassin looked at his wet clothes and shook his head, “It is warm outside. I will soon be dry again.”

“Guards!”

Christopher showed his teeth and giggled, “Helena, they will not help you, they have been summoned by Theodore. For years I have been waiting for this moment: to be left alone with you.” Then he approached her and put his hands on the edge of the basin. “I love you more than everything I have on this world” He sensed that she intended to make him wet with another wave and grasped her hand. “No, my dear Helena,” he added with a broader smile, “Not again. I will not allow you to play with my feelings”

She snarled and used her other hand to wash his eyes with the soapy water. He shut his eyes and made a wry face .
    Another person entered - Theodore.

“What are you doing here, Christopher?” His powerful voice echoed in the room.

The man rose wiping the soap from his face, “I told Helena about our meeting”

“You have promised me –“ the innkeeper roared

“I did,” Christopher stared at the floor as a guilty child.

“ Get out of here!" Theodore ordered his son with pain and contempt in his voice. “Prepare for a ride, Helena," he told the hetaira calmly as Christopher left. " I think we need to discuss some family business outside”

------------
    -------------
    -------------

Hmmm, I find the scene between Alexius and Helena to be a slightly erotic one. This is also the first time I reveal what is happening inside the head of the Nicephorus' heir. I am quite sure that some characters would be enraged by what happened this night.

The second part is simply the beginning of another scene that I hope I will post soon. Theodore the Innkeeper, the Helena's adopter, certainly wants to have a daughter like Helena, rather than such a son... In some parts Christopher is referred as the "assassin", for sometimes the late Nicephorus used his services in this way. And as I said, he is an illegal son of Theofore. Future will cast more light on the relationship within the Theodore's "family".
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 03-06-2010 at 13:56. Reason: The originally posted work had to be re-edited. Major changes done between 11:30 and 12:30.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

A slight critique if I may, some times you need to be a little bit more concise/selective. An example:

“ Get out of here!" Theodore ordered his son with pain and contempt in his voice.
    The underlined part is not really necessary, as the dialogue already shows anger, contempt and raw emotion. So simply saying "Get out! Get Out!" would be enough, while also being slightly more subtle.

And as I said, he is an illegal son of Theofore. Future will cast more light on the relationship within the Theodore's "family".
    As in the bastard son?

I am quite sure that some characters would be enraged by what happened this night.
    Yes indeed. It will be interesting to see how you resolve it.
    #Hillary4prism

Blog Entries

The riders left the inn at midday. They passed the labyrinth of the streets of Mistra and continued to the forest of the monastery Archangel Michael. It was the same forest where the maid of Helena found her death. They were four riders: Theodore, Christopher, and two guards. Theodore seemed to be the only one attempting to keep the conversation alive. Christopher had been consumed by his gloomy thoughts, Helena replied only because she did not want to disappoint her adopter. As they reached a large glade, the innkeeper stopped his horse and his trusted man rushed to help him dismount.

“This is a good place,” Theodore announced like a child who had been given a candy. “Go and find some berries,” the pimp ordered and sat on the earth. He assured himself that the two guards disappeared in the woods and looked at Helena and Christopher. “Please sit. You can take some of the rugs”

“Which one do you wish for you, Kir Theodore?”

“I prefer to have a real contact with the mother earth, Helena,” she read parental care in his eyes. The innkeeper turned at his bastard and added, “Christopher, please” Helena almost gaped with amusement. The innkeeper never used this word before. Helena spread her rug on the grass but Christopher knelt just like his father on the earth. “I called you because your feud can no longer continue. You are like my children and if you have not noticed problems are gathering over our heads. If you stay allied, I believe you are able achieve great things. If you do not, nothing good will come out from it”

Both Christopher and she stood silent. The innkeeper’s usually harsh voice was surprisingly soft. There were no orders but wise words. But how was it possible to forget the crimes of Christopher? He was the same savage and unpredictable person who was ready to go to extremes in order to have what he desired. Christopher was now submissively listening to his father’s words nervously playing with a blade of grass. Theodore’s cause was lost: sooner or later they would stand against each other.

“I do not ask you to become lovers,” Christopher looked at his father and then stared again at the grass. Theodore continued as nothing happened “One can not order his heart. I only ask that you should forgive yourself. Helena,” Theodore addressed her and she felt her skin crawling. Christopher also came out his languor and his grey eyes were piercing her. She was a hetaira, yes but it was horrible to know that whatever you do, whoever you love you will end your life alone and childless. Could she ever forgive?

“Helena, do it for me, please,” the eyes of Theodore opened widely and she was terrified by what she read in them. She knew the innkeeper had already problems with his heart, what if he died because of her stubbornness. Deep inside she would never forgive Christopher and will watch his downfall with pleasure… but now, just because of Theodore she could… “Helena,” her adopter begged her. She opened her mouth ready to say it but then noise came out of the bushes.

“A spy!” One of the guards screamed. Christopher jumped as swiftly as a wolf and rushed to intercept the man. Helena grasped the dagger under her tunics unaware what exactly was happening. In the next moment she saw a tall man standing in the end of the glade. He threw his unsheathed sword and said, “I am not a spy” She recognised him. He was one of the Alexius’ guards. “I am sent by Kir Doukas to guard Helena”

“Helena needs no guarding. I am able to protect her.” Theodore said as he rose with difficulty. Like an ancient tribal chief he gave orders to his men. “Tie him”

“I can not approve this, Kir. But I am ordered not to fight back. ” With an obvious satisfaction, Christopher caught the men’s arms and tied him. “To the tree,” the innkeeper ordered. “You will guard him,” he ordered at his trusted guard. "And treat him well," Theodore met the eye of the guard as the man passed him. The innkeeper turned to the hetaira,

“Do you know anything about it, Helena?”

“I do not” She preferred not to tell him anything about her stay in the hunting lodge. Theodore did not seem to believe her but stepped back. The spy was tied in a way he could not watch them. Christopher suspected the man can read on lips. He then stuck a piece of cloth in his mouth and returned back.

“Now let’s celebrate this little gathering with some lunch.” The trusted man of Theodore went to the saddlebags and took out some food. The three sat and started eating. Christopher sprang on his feet and cursed, spilling the wine of Helena over her dish. “Damn!” The man cursed.

“What are you doing, Christopher,” Helena also rose.

“Yes, explain what the hell you are doing!” Theodore said and spat the food he was chewing. The other guard stood up but he seemed slightly dizzy. With a fast movement, Christopher slashed the throat of the man standing on his right. The innkeeper gaped for a moment but quickly recovered from the surprise. He jumped on the unsheathed knife of his son. ”Run, Helena,” he shouted. In the next instance, she saw the massive fat body of her adopter embracing Christopher who had dropped his bloody knife. Theodore used his immense strength to thrash the ribs of the assassin regardless the terrible wound he had just received on his left. Several feet away the last remaining guard was helplessly kneeling with hands on his throat and white foam on his mouth. Helena took a large branch and looked at the fighting men before her. Somehow Christopher managed to set his left arm free and had stabbed another dagger at Theodore’s throat. Just as her dying adopter was loosening his bear hug Helena hit Christopher with the branch. Her blow was strong enough to take him off balance. The body of the innkeeper led Christopher down and Helena gained precious few moments to run at the oak with the captive. As she reached there, the life had gone from the eyes of the Alexius’ guard: Christopher had stained the napkin with poison. Completely alone, Helena shouted for help and tried to measure the distance between the assassin and herself. She ran to the horses and managed to climb on one of them. She plunged her feet into the flanks of the animal but the horse rose on its back legs and collapsed on the ground throwing her into the dust. The world around her transformed into pain and fearful that she had broken bones she made an effort to raise. She spat the dirt out of her mouth and scratched the earth with her nails. She stood on her hands and kneels like an animal and glanced with amusement at the dying horse. A dagger had been thrown at its throat severing its trachea and her hopes for escape. This one resembled the sample she saw sticking from her dead maid and she looked up to face the monster that was approaching her. Christopher walked around her and bent to take back the knife from the horse. With his eye on her, the assassin cleaned the knife on the saddle and slid it back into the sheath on his belt. He removed his blood-stained gloves and stretched his hand towards her. She grabbed dust from the ground and threw it at him producing an inhumane cry. Christopher cursed and grabbed her for her hair. He forced her to rise despite the pain in her feet and jerked her head backwards so that he could see her face.

“You are now mine like it or not, Helena. None of the fools lying here will ever stop me again. For I love you” His voice was trembling and Helena sensed something hot touching her cheeks. Pushed by his strong hands Helena fell on the ground. The man stepped forward and turned her on her back. Christopher wiped something from his eyes and took out a rope with which he bound her hands. Then he dragged her like a slave to the nearest tree and tied the end of the rope on a huge oak branch. The assassin spat on the ground and took his sword. He approached the remaining horses and set free all but one. He removed his cloak and stained it into the horse blood. He kicked it to the nearest tree and started gathering the money and the jewels of the dead.

“What do you plan to do with me?” Helena said as the assassin returned to her. Christopher did not answer her immediately but inspected the rope that was slightly torn by the constant rubbing at the oak bark. He showed his teeth to the hetaira and slapped her so fiercely that he split her upper lip. Stunned by the blow Helena could only sense the man mounted her on his horse and galloped in an unknown direction.

------------
    -------------

A short but interesting update. I would remind several facts. The maid of Helena was a Constantine's spy (this was explained in one of the previous updates). The maid and another woman were found dead in the same forest . Their murderer was unknown until now. And the fact Christopher has murdered the maid can lead to many assumptions.

Christopher is not one of the most interesting characters but in this scene he is certainly intriguing.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 03-24-2010 at 20:49.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Lots of action in this update, nice to alter from the intrigues and diplomacy to some hearty violence. Just be careful that you do not lose the subtlety of the main plot.
    #Hillary4prism

Blog Entries

There is no new update. Not yet. I want to write several chapters before going on. My post is simply a reaction of that spam post that appeared. I simply can not stand that the Mead Hall can be spammed with pills, porn and etc. Mods!

The plot is evolving nicely by the way. As Helena is gone for a while, I hope, the plot falls on the relations between Alexius and his foreign bodyguards Richard and Fernando, on Ephigenia and also on the investigation of Kir Theodore Branas. Of course, Constantine will also have the central role in the plot. And of course, I have not forgotten Kir Demetrius Raoul, the mortal enemy of Nicephorus Doukas and the mysterious assassin who made the church during the funeral of Nicephorus into a small but bloody and poisonous blood bath.
    I wonder if this long pauses affect badly any reader who is patient enough to read this. I plan to make some kind of short summary of the key events.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

There is no new update. Not yet. I want to write several chapters before going on.
    Always a good idea, develop the plot with an idea as to were it is heading otherwise you can often be left with a discordant sequence of events.

I wonder if this long pauses affect badly any reader who is patient enough to read this.
    Not at all. You should always take as much time as is necessary to develop your ideas and thoughts fully. Sometimes you will be inspired other times you simply will not be able to bring up the will to write, or to create. However, you should always keep in mind that there is a difference between lacking inspiration and lacking motivation. Regardless, go at a pace that feels most natural for you.
    #Hillary4prism

Blog Entries

The almonds in the coup with honey looked delicious. Manuel took the tiny spoon and scooped up one of them. The sweet substance started melting in his mouth and as the almond crunched between his teeth, the specific bitter taste of the nut gave enormous pleasure to the prisoner. He took another almond and put it in his mouth even before he had gulped down the first. As he swallowed, Manuel gasped for a moment. He rose and took the cup with fresh water and drank from it. He was not sure if honey could choke a person to death as a piece of honey-comb could but he had to be more careful. However, apart from physical exercises, reading books, eating was one of the few pleasures he was left with. Manuel already felt better and was impatient of the moment he would leave this prison and ride his horse Yusuf. The moment he would be free to meet whoever he wished. The moment he would forget about Helena. He cast another look at the amber substance that covered the brown almonds. A female silhouette cast a shadow on his mind. He closed his eyes. She was not Helena. Helena did not have such an extravagant dress that left bare so many beautiful parts of the body. The silk scarves negligently covered some of them adding mystery to the charm of this nymph. Her jade eyes had stared at him hawkishly and a seductive smile had appeared on her lips.

“Clyo” He heard his voice saying. In his memories he was sitting on his bed slowly chewing his favourite dessert with his eyes focused on his unexpected visitor. He was slightly tired – he knew he had been riding in order to stifle his anger.

“I came to give you something that may refresh you,” she approached him.

“Really?” The anger was still dominating him despite the pressure of other more pleasant emotions.

“What has happened with you?” Clyo asked and sat on his bed. She bent over him and placed her hands on his chest.

“Nothing interesting.”

“You will tell me,” she continued to massage him, “Your father?”

“Yes,”. Manuel met the eye of the hetaira “He refused to give me any money to pay my bills”

Clyo smiled again, “This is not the first time. He will eventually step back”

“I do not know. I can not stand him,” Manuel rose from the bed and bent on the cushion, “His physician told me he would enjoy a good health in the next five years. Sometimes I think I will never see him dead. “

“Really?” the hetaira grinned and crawled to him. “With some luck he may part with his old body in a year, “Clyo whispered in his ear. He looked at her and she laughed. She started to unbelt his shirt and -

Something fell on the floor and Manuel saw the spoon lying on the stone plates. A small amount of honey has been spilt on the floor. He noticed that he had pushed the cup with the dessert on the edge and carefully put it on the centre of the table. Manuel stood up and wiped out the honey from the floor with a towel. He put the spoon inside the piece of cloth and placed it on the edge of the table. As the mess has been cleaned, Manuel sprawled on the bed reflecting on what he has just experienced. Somebody knocked on the door and Manuel elbowed on the bed to face the visitor. Constantine entered and carefully closed the door behind himself.

“How are you?”

“So-so. Like the Christmas pig. ”

“It is still August, so you should be optimistic,” Constantine went to the table and saw the book. “What are you reading? I see, Stephanites and Ichnelates …”

“You can take the book away.” Obviously, a story of intrigues, prison and death was not very suitable for a man in his position. “Tell Kira Kalamanos to bring me a book on horses or military tactics, please”

“I think I know what you want,” Constantine said as he took the book and scrutinised its cover.

“And do not give me any of the copies that Helena had touched. “

“Of course. I was wondering about lending you a book in Latin,” the steward again placed the manuscript back on the table.

“Latin?” He said both surprised and disappointed. There were so many good authors who wrote in Greek…

“Yes, Manuel. It will certainly help you polish your Latin and second, you may learn some interesting things about horses. As far as I know, it is a work of a monk from Andalusia done by request of King Alfonso the Wise of Castile.”

“You surprise me again. How did you get such a copy?” Manuel eyed him with interest.

“It came from a friend from Sicily.” Constantine dragged the stool to himself and sat on it” I traded it for a copy of John Kinnamos. My friend was very interested in the reign of Emperor Manuel”

A flash from the boring days he spent with one of his tutors came into his mind “The one who tried to expand the Empire as in the old times?”

“Indeed, the one who attempted it and failed. I believe my friend was interested in the unsuccessful campaign of the Emperor against the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies”

“I see. Do you think the Naples can return Sicily?” Usually, he would avoid any talks about politics. Now his captivity has made his life too monotonous and he welcomed any opportunity to escape from the narrowness of this room.

“It is always hard to predict the future. But I also believe that the Kingdom of Naples has lost Sicily once and for all. Despite the lost unity between Sicily and Aragon, which as you know happened after an internal strife in the Aragonese Kingdom, I think Sicily will resist. The economy of Naples continues to decline, as a good friend of mine told me”

“You have strange friends“

“I am just in good terms with the Italian Greeks”

“What about Crete?”

“Crete?”

“You have been on the island. I hope I will visit it one day”

“You will,” Constantine assured him. “My father was indeed born in Crete but I have visited the island only three times, unfortunately.” Manuel had forgotten his father’s mentor died when Constantine was nineteen. He felt a bit uneasy now “I have spent most of my time in the ports and too little time inside the island. From what I have seen the contrast between the ports and the inland villages is remarkable. First, along the coastline centers, especially in the powerful fortress of Candia, the Italian domination is undisputable. The clothes of the Catholic clergy and the Venetian officials are also very distinguishable.” Manuel tried to imagine a younger Constantine amongst the crowds of Candia. Suddenly, a funny thought came into his mind. Perhaps, the steward was not that serious in his youth. The idea of Constantine in a brothel seemed… weird but at the same time it was suspiciously natural...

“Why do you smile, Manuel?”

“Ah, nothing -” Manuel replied innocently.

“You have not looked that since you were three and broke your first vase, Manuel. What thought came into your mind, I wonder?”

“The haircut of the Catholic clergy has always been funny,” Manuel lied. He did not know how his mentor would react if he asked him about his experience in the brothels…

“You should show more respect for the Pope and his servants, Manuel,” Constantine told him but the steward did not sound very serious as well.

“What about the countryside of Crete?”

“No funny Catholic monks there, Manuel,” Constantine smiled. “Peasants have kept their ancient habits; Greek language entirely dominates the province especially in the mountains. People have warm feelings for anything which reminds the Roman Empire. As you will guess, I have several friends there as well and I would be glad to meet them after so many years. We have to pick the moment carefully, though. You are a grandnephew of the Emperor and the Venetians are suspicious of such a visit. Perhaps an incognito adventure will be the best strategy in this case. ”

“I asked you about a simple description of Crete and you are already ready with a plan to enter the island,” Manuel laughed.

“You are welcome, “ Constantine replied warmly. The steward had always been close to him and a man he felt like his father. This man used to clear his messes and to take care for him in his childhood. Sometimes, Manuel felt his presence to be too obsessive as each growing man felt his parents – it was natural. Well, sometimes – just right now- Manuel thought the steward could read his thoughts. He looked down avoiding the look of his mentor. He knew he should not think about his secrets before his behaviour could betray him. It was too late. He knew the steward was already suspecting that he could have remembered something.

“What does my brother do?” He did not wish to progress on Helena that quickly. This could betray weakness and that he suffered; he also used the issue to cover other truths. He hoped this could allow him buy time until he remembers everything.

“There is interesting news from his house. He had fired one of his guards after an enormous scandal”

“Why?” Manuel looked up.

“The man has failed him, or at least Alexius says so. He threw the man half-beaten to death in the dirt before his house. Rumours say he called him on a duel beforehand. I will inform you about more details tomorrow.”

“My brother and duel?” Manuel laughed but he felt suspicious deep inside. Alexius had changed and this made him uncertain. Was it possible that his brother has become better than him?

“Even this is possible. Alexius is still young and unexpected outburst of anger is typical for the Doukas in their youth.”

“You mean my father?”

“Sometimes, Manuel. But I still think your brother resembles his –and your- grandfather more.”

Manuel looked down again trying to pluck courage to ask the next question. “What about the whore? I presume she has a hand in the mess”

“Her role in these events is yet to be evaluated. However, I think she is safe now”

Manuel looked straight at the steward’s eyes “I don’t care about her. I simply hope she will gather the fruits of her treachery”

“You should not worry about it,” Constantine said as he calmly watched Manuel. “Her own intrigues will do that.”

“Very well,” Manuel said. He was slightly irritated she felt well now. Perhaps he had to distract himself… Once he came out of this prison…

Somebody knocked on the door. Constantine looked at Manuel and the prisoner quickly understood what he had to do.

“Come in”

A servant appeared with a large coup full with apples. “A gift from Kira Kalamanos,” the servant said as he placed the plate on the table.

“If you don’t mind,” Constantine said and took two of the fruits. He bit one of apple and chewed the piece. “You will like it. Manuel! ” Constantine threw the second apple at Manuel who instinctively caught it. Constantine smiled, “See you later, lad!” Manuel watched his mentor and the servant leaving the room. Slightly amused by the Constantine’s whim Manuel tossed the apple in the air and caught it again. The heir of the Doukas bent on the cushion and greedily sank his teeth into the apple.

--------------

After a hiatus of half an year, here is the new update.Surprisingly, this is the newest extract I have written unlike the others almost-ready-updates who are already two-five months old. I need to polish them a bit.

Note that this update develops after the abduction of Helena. It's important to have this in mind that when you read the end of the story. And don't search the scandal between Alexius and his guard in the previous updates. Because the scene will appear in the next (for suspense reasons I decided to change the appearing of the scenes, only this time) .

I am proud to say that I have the Simeon Seth's "Stephanites and Ichnilatis" (not the original, though because I will have to live on the street after the transaction) and I could not resist to include that in the updates. Unfortunately, I don't have Kinnamos. I only know that he gave quite a good description of the reign of Manuel I Comnenus (1143-1180) and I decided to use that. The Spanish influence is strong in this update as well (with Alfonso the Wise of Castilia and the feuds withing the Kingdom of Aragon). For those with more interest in the stories:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalilag...rabic_versions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfonso_the_Wise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_III_of_Sicily

Well, as always any comment is appreciated. Grammar and language criticism is really warmly welcomed. Comments on the plot are also appreciated.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 10-18-2010 at 19:02.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Richard peeped at the prostitute who was walking in the narrow street. He did not know why he was following her. He could buy a pleasure without any effort. Was it because he was inquisitive? Rumours said Manuel was with her when he fell from his horse the day Nicephorus died. Or was he bored? Spying on this woman resembled hunt and he had not been on such an exercise since his exile. He wondered if he could stop her and talk to her. Yes, he even knew her name: Ephigenia! The little problem was that he knew almost no Greek and she would not understand him. He would scare her… If only there had been some villains, he would have been like a glamorous hero… Wait… a shadow was coming out of the darkness. Richard grabbed the hilt of his sword. The Englishman knew this man: he was George, the ex-commander of the guards of Kir Nicephorus. The prostitute stepped back ready to scream but she recognised him. She slightly calmed down but was still nervous. George approached but kept distance. The ex-commander was talking to her. She nodded and George smiled.

Richard bent on the corner. He had to go before somebody recognized him. As Alexius’ guard he had to be out of suspicion; Alexius might need him right now… Last look at the couple to assure that the girl is not threatened. Ephigenia was hastily walking away and there was no trace from George. Somebody called her name and Ephigenia turned back. Such a busy woman, Richard thought with sarcasm. He could not see the face of this man. The soldier was clad in lamellar armour with short sleeves. Its quality told that the man was a mid-rank officer from the garrison. The man turned right… So this was George the Fast Sword, another man present at the accident with Manuel. The officer was watching Ephigenia again and Richard walked away. The walk in the streets of Mistra refreshed him but as he passed the doorstep of the Alexius’ house the persistent feeling something was not right returned.

The servants were cleaning the floor of broken pots. On the upper floor somebody was shouting. Richard rushed and the soldiers guarding the door let him in. In the big room there were four people: Alexius, Fernando, his Albanian opponent from the pub and a Greek from the Alexius’ guards. The Greek soldier was somehow away from the other three ready to interfere only if there was a threat for his master. Alexius was walking back and forth; the Catalan and the Albanian were standing in a disordered line; the eyes of the mercenaries sparked with anger. If they had even a spoon in their hands, Richard was sure they would cut themselves into pieces. The Catalan seemed even more desperate as he even dared to interrupt his furious master.

“This wretched man dared to challenge me! Did I have a choice, Kir Alexius?”

Alexius hit Fernando with his sheathed sword. The blow in the stomach brought the mercenary to his knees. “You had a mission, Fernando, a mission to guard Helena.” He kicked his guard and the Catalan collapsed on the floor. “You have failed. She is gone and so is one of my best men”

The Catalan writhed with pain and said something in his native tongue. He supported his body with his left arm and looked Alexius straight in the eye.

“How dare are you!” Fernando hissed like a crippled mountain cat, “You will pay, Doukas!”

The Greek guard stepped forward ready to defend his master. Alexius opened his mouth but his eye stopped on the Albanian who was haughtily watching his kneeling adversary.

“How dare you smile?”

The triumph on the face of the Albanian disappeared. He slightly bowed and spoke in camp French he had learned during his service in Latin Achaia “This man dared to mock me and my brothers! I did my duty and challenged him on a duel”

The Catalan rose from the marble plates and started laughing “You would have been dead had there not been the Greeks to interfere” Indeed, the Albanian’s white shirt had started to get red around his shoulder. By a look, Alexius ordered him be silent.

“You did not simply call him on a duel, I heard you pushed him in the dust.”

The Albanian calmly replied, “It is true, Kir. This is what he deserved”

“I will not tolerate such actions against my men,” Alexius snapped. “Guards! Drag this man out and give him five slaps in the face.” The Albanian nodded at Alexius and headed for the door to meet the guards.

The heir of the Doukas made a step back and looked at Richard. “Where did you go?”

“You dismissed me and I -” he did not want to share anything about Ephigenia right now. “I have been in the pubs, Kir Alexius”

“I can not blame you,” Alexius bent on his sword. “But you I can,” he addressed the Catalan. “No honour could exempt you from fulfilling your duty."

Fernando bridled up and looked his master in the eye. Alexius’ face calmed down as he scrutinised the mercenary. Only his clenched fist betrayed his true emotions. “Very well. You are no longer needed here, mercenary”

The Catalan showed his teeth. “I don’t expect a weakling like you to understand the meaning of honour” Fernando removed his glove and fiercely looked at the heir of the Doukas.

“Watch your tongue, scum,” the Greek guard stepped forward. “You should be grateful Kir Alexius gave you bread and shelter and did not kick you downstairs” He spat on Fernando’s boot

Fernando threw the glove at the guard’s face. “I challenge you on a duel -”

The Greek kicked the glove and laughed, “This is not the West, fool. Take your glove and get away!” The Greek answer came as a surprise to Richard. Where did these Greek live? Did this man realize the dimension of his offence? Richard prepared for the worse and saw Fernando reaching out for the dagger. Fortunately, it was taken by the guards before he entered.

“Enough,“ Alexius interfered. “Don de Garcia, leave this home now or I will have you thrown out. “

“You heard what my master said, dog.” the Greek said and invited him to bow and take his glove. Fernando’s nostrils widened. Richard would understand if the Catalan attacked this repulsive Greek… The Englishman could not bear this mockery no more. He moved forward to take the glove off the floor. It was too late. The Catalan threw his other glove away. He cursed in the most vulgar manner Alexius and “his whore” and went out. The Greek looked at his master’s pale face.

“He offended you, Kir”

“Yes. Five slaps in the face would suffice.”

The Greek guard bowed and swiftly slid out of the room. As shouts were echoing the house of Alexius, Richard noticed Alexius was watching him.

“What can I do for you, Kir?”

“You tried to give him the glove back, right?”

Lying was useless. “Yes,” said Richard awaiting the inevitable storm. Alexius approached him and said,

“I appreciate your sense of honour, Richard. I know it is hard for a Westerner to understand. “ Alexius put his hand on Richard’s shoulder and added, “ As Fernando was not on his post on the forest, he already caused the death of one of my men, you know him, I think. Anastaisus.” Richard indeed knew this young aristocrat, though they were not close. Yet, he felt sorry for him, a bit… “and Helena. I’ve promised to protect her even now when she is no longer my brother’s mistress,” Alexius continued. A liar, Richard thought. You love her. But Richard could not blame him he hid such an affair. Was he not in a similar position when he was in England?

“I see you understand. Do you want a drink?”

“Thank you, Kir”

Alexius dropped his shoulder and came to the large table. He poured wine into a cup and gave it to his Western guard. Then still consumed by his thoughts, he filled his own. “Let’s drink for…”

“Loyalty, Kir”

Alexius met his eye and smiled sadly, “Yes, loyalty… And people who are no longer with us”

They drank from their cups and continued to watch themselves with interest. Richard knew how Alexius felt… A boy who had to mature very quickly in order to survive; a lonely soul surrounded by lackeys; there were many servants and almost no true friends… If his love with Helena withstood the hardships, it would be a hidden, illegal relationship because this man would marry another… Richard’s attention was distracted by the servant who entered the room. The man deeply bowed to Alexius,

“Kir, I am sorry to interrupt you but you have a visitor. Kir Romanus Philantropenus is here”

“Thank you. You may meet him,” Alexius sent his servant away. Any trace of nostalgia and sorrow disappeared from the face of Alexius. The stone mask of calmness was back on its place. Alexius looked at Richard and said, “Let’s go and see what Kir Philantropenus wants to tell us”

Richard followed Alexius to the first floor where they met Romanus Philantropenus. Romanus and Alexius hugged like old friends.

When Romanus dropped Alexius’ shoulders he said something Richard could not understand very well. Why was his Greek so bad?

Alexius replied calmly. Richard heard “Helena Theodorina”. They started climbing the stairs and Richard was silently walking behind them. He could not miss the big transformation in Romanus. He was still clad in black but the tunics were gone. Instead, he wore a fashionable Western short coat and long hose. It was also the first time Richard saw this man with a sword on his belt. Richard was inquisitive what these two people discussed right now. A mercenary should be always well informed… He could only grasp few words of Kir Philantropenus: “influence” “puppet”… “Brother” “protect” and “failure” were the answer of Alexius. Philantropenus tried to assure him, maybe in the opposite... Yes, Kir Philantropenus was talking about women… Alexius seemed determined… “duty” “find”… Romanus stepped on the last stair and looked at Alexius. Richard read a genuine, even paternal worry in his eye… How could two people be so different from each other and so close? Alexius shook his head and tried to assure him with “just a woman”. Philantropenus repeated the same phrase slowly… and yes, there was a smile, and yes, “I hope so”…

Alexius asked to be left in private with Romanus Philantropenus and they entered one of the solars. The Englishman walked out of the yard and went out on the street. A man with blood on his face was cursing the servants. The man had unsheathed his sword and was claiming some money he hid in his room. Richard came to the Catalan who snarled “Get away”

“What are you doing?” said Richard. “Don’t ruin your life!”

Fernando wiped out the blood from his lips and laughed, “Don’t care about me. We are already on different sides”

“You speak non-sense”

Fernando laughed and put the sword back to his sheath. “No, Richard, you are not such a fool. What is broken can not be fixed.” The Catalan dragged Richard to his ear, “At least I outsmarted the Greek snake. Who do you think reported the steward the kiss between Helena and Alexius? “

Richard held his breath for a moment “Yes, I was surprised how much such an affair could mean for Kir Matsakes. You did not expect I am such a man, didn’t you?” The Catalan laughed unpleasantly and turned back.

“Think again,” Richard tried to stop him.

Fernando brushed his hand from his shoulder. “Don’t waste your chivalry in these schismatic lands! You know the lot is cast” Fernando climbed on his horse and raised his hand for goodbye. “Be careful with the Greek snakes and may our paths never cross… my friend. Farewell!”

Richard helplessly watched his friend departing… They began as adversaries and together they entered the service of Alexius where they befriended. Now destiny severed their paths again. Richard looked back and saw the Greek guard from the solar.

“Kir Richard, you are a strange cat. It’s obvious you are out of place amongst the mercenaries”

“What do you mean?” Richard replied and tried to weigh this person. The man seemed definitely intelligent despite the dishonesty he demonstrated before Alexius.

“I respect you still obey the code of honour even ‘in these schismatic lands’,” the man smiled, “I am not proud with what I did in the solar. But I am proud with what I’ve prevented.”

“You mean a duel between Kir Alexius and Fernando? “

“I am not very sure if a duel between a master and a brigand was at a stake. What I did prevent was a stain on my master’s honour.”

Richard was considering his reply when his attention was arrested by six riders who were riding towards the Alexius’ house. One of them was the judge Theophil Branas.

----------

Weee! Another update. I wrote it two months ago but it needed serious editing (I am sure it still needs )… Writing this part was a challenge because Richard does not understand much Greek and can barely grasp some words. In the original version, there was a conversation between Romanus and Alexius and it was very subtle… but realism wanted it deleted. It’s not that tragic, though.

The ex-commander of the Nicephorus’ guards has been absent for a very long time. Well, the last time we saw him he had eaten spoilt food from the kitchen and was on bed. Well, George seems to be back and so is John the Fast Sword.

In the next scene the judge is again in action (featuring Romanus and Alexius). GAH! It will be an interesting one. The abduction of Helena was more or less the culmination of this story but I have so much to write. Enough talking and back to work!
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 12-09-2010 at 11:25.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great story man. Wish I could write like you, I be rich right now!!

Blog Entries

Theophil thoroughly studied the horseman who passed him. He could not miss neither the split upper lip of the Catalan, nor the dry blood on his face. He barely knew this Englishman who had arrived few days after the death of Nicephorus but his success to climb to the position of a bodyguard of the young Doukas deserved some further studying. He firmly pulled the reins of his horse.

“Good morning, Kir Richard,” he politely spoke to the mercenary, “Perhaps you would know where Kir Alexius Doukas is? ”

After a short moment of hesitation Richard nodded and went with a good pace to the entrance of the house. As they entered the yard, they were welcomed by another guard of Alexius. The man patiently waited for the Englishman to come closely and quickly discussed the current situation. Few moment s were more than sufficient for them and the guard rushed for the main building. Meanwhile, the English mercenary looked around and addressed the nearest servant in broken Greek. Theophil Branas politely smiled at the approaching boy and once his boots touched the stone plates of the garden, he handed the reins of his horse. Richard turned back and politely offered to lead the judge to the main building. Theophil reluctantly accepted and slowed down his pace. As he was walking shoulder to shoulder with the mercenary, he turned his head right and smiled at him. The aristocrat met his eye,

“What can I do for you, sir?”

“To walk faster, please” the judge asked him in perfect French.

The Englishman led him to the large parlour on the first floor where the mercenary explained to him that Kir Alexius is occupied with important meeting and will arrive as quickly as possible. Almost at the very same time, a woman with two coups of ice cold water arrived.

“Kir de Hall,” the judge said as he looked at the staircase, “Perhaps you know what happened with Kir de Garcia? “

“I do not, sire. I met him in this pathetic situation few minutes before you arrive”

“I see,” the judge said as he approached the gate he had just entered. He scrutinised its surface. He slightly bowed to look at a small red spot. With the tip of his finger the judge touched the substance. He smelled it and looked at Richard. “This is blood, Kir Richard. Perhaps you could remember something that could explain it?”

“I can not, sir.”

“Then perhaps you could explain to me where you have been whilst Fernando was bleeding here?”

“I have been with a friend in the local pub.”

“There are no pubs in this area”

“I mean the distance is not that big when you do not have a horse…”

“Strange,” the judge continued in French, “You are not very convincing”

“I am sorry, Kir. When Kir Alexius arrives, he will give you the answers.”

“And here is he,” the judge said as he looked again at the staircase. He played with a mace in his hands and his face was wet, as if he had just left the room for exercises. He heartily greeted the judge in his house and handed the mace to his guard who silently retreated. Another silhouette moved behind the Nicephorus’ son. Romanus Philantropenus stared at the judge for a moment before he passed the silk curtain. At that time Alexius was already before the judge. The judge quickly realized that the liquid on the face of the Nicephorus’ son was nothing but water.

“You are always welcomed into my house, Kir Branas,” Alexius addressed him. “Perhaps I can do something for you?”

“Indeed you can. I saw your guard Fernando de Garcia -”

“He has failed to abide his orders. I could not tolerate his irresponsibility and arrogance.”

“So he has been beaten -”

“And dismissed, yes. Because of his negligence, another man of mine is dead and a woman I promised my protection has been abducted.”

Theophil did not expect such a sincerity from Alexius who had overcome his original confusion and his eyes sparkled. Theophil wanted to avoid any misunderstanding and asked again, “Do you mean that the unknown man we have found dead -”

“Yes, the man is my bodyguard. Fernando had to be there to guard Helena but he was not. He entered in a feud with a certain Albanian from Epirus. ”

Another man to interrogate, Theophil thought and calmed his beard.

“Kir Doukas, you were relatively close to the abducted hetaira, perhaps you know who may be behind such a crime?” Romanus Philantropenus pierced Alexius with his eyes but as the son of Nicephorus was several feet ahead, he could not see anything. Alexius looked down and a moment later he met the judge’s eye.

“I wish I knew, Your Honour. Helena Theodorina was a beautiful woman and many people envied her. I know only one thing. Starting from tomorrow, I will offer money and honours and even pardon to people who return her safe. “

“I do not advise a capitulation before the abductors,” replied the judge calmly. “But in this case, I would support such a measure. We do not know much about the intentions of the abductors and in many cases money could increase her chances of survival. I would even advise you to announce your offer today. Tomorrow it could be late.”

“I will heed your advice, Kir Branas,” Alexius slightly nodded and looked at Romanus who just approached him. The light cast on Romanus showed his quickly aging face and the black shadows around his eyes.

“Yet, it may help,” Romanus said silently and looked around, “if the judge has any suspects for the abduction”

“It is too early for this, Kir Philantropenus. But indeed I was surprised when I saw that the the innkeeper’s bastard missing. We found his cloak stained in blood but this explains nothing ”

“I see. I will try to use my influence and the relations with the traders from Monembasia and the Venetians to find out more,” Romanus added

“Then it is decided, “Alexius said, “each of us will use his own path to save the victim. If I find out something, I shall immediately contact you”

“I would prefer to be called on a meeting in this house or another safe place, rather than being told by letters. “

“Of course,” Romanus nodded.

“Now, Kir Doukas, I must take my leave”

“Wait, Your Honour,” Alexius suddenly stopped him. “If you have something private that is only for my years, you can speak. I will send off the guards”

“Unfortunately, I would prefer to talk to you in private,” Theophil said and completely ignored the devastating look that Romanus cast at him. Completely helpless to influence the judge, Romanus looked at Alexius who hurried to add,

“Your Honour, Kir Romanus is like my second father -”

“Then I will leave you and appear at a more convenient time…”

Alexius eyed Romanus warmly, “Go my friend. I promise I will inform you about our talk with the judge”

The Romanus’ jaw jutted and a moment later the moving curtain was the only thing that reminded this person’s presence. As the judge and Alexius were completely alone, the young man invited the judge to follow him and behind another curtain that hid another corridor. . As he entered the small room where Alexius was waiting for him, he heard the voice of the Nicephorus’ son,

“I think it will be safer to speak here, Your Honour”

“I hope I have not caused you any inconvenience but I thought I fulfilled our previous agreement”

“Kir Philantropenus will understand. My honour and the woman I have sworn to protect depends on our swift reactions. I have not forgotten I asked you to inform me in case something happens to Helena”

“I clearly remember that. Perhaps you know who can be behind this abduction?”

Alexius sat on the bed covered with cushions and invited the judge with a gesture of his hand. “I feared somebody might use her close relations with me and my brother. There is an assassin in Mystra who may still seek vengeance for his failure in the church during my father’s funeral. One could also use Helena to strike a favourable bargain. And people are envious.”

“You brilliantly summarized the main scenarios, Kir Doukas. But I think you have spent more time with Helena and perhaps you have heard something that could help us orient in the current situation”

“First, I think she is still alive. There is no body found. Second, I suspect Christopher. Helena always told me she feared this man. His disappearance was just a trick and he has two possible directions that are relatively safe for him: hiding in the principality of Achaia or the Venetian harbours at South. I would go for the second option because his father was well-known brigand in the Duchy of Achaia. “

“But perhaps Christopher has a serious backing. This is a direct challenge to you”

Alexius laughed, “You are flattering me -” After a moment, the Nicephorus’ son added, “But perhaps you are right. This means we will have to alert the garrisons both south and north. “

“I think this is a good idea. You should speak to Kir Assen at first opportunity whilst I should visit your brother again.”

“In fact, I would ask Your Honour to make the offer. I fear that the governor may think that Helena is much more than a matter of my honour. I have heard the wild rumours that circulate around”

“I see. I will do my best to persuade the father of your fiancée. “

“Thank you”

Theophil Branas felt strange to talk in private to the man who looked after his poisonous father. Yet, Nicephorus was like an artist and a man who had mastered the court ceremonial and the artificial phrases to perfection. A man who would kill you with the most civilized countenance on his face. Alexius was different. He was rather Alexander the Great who cut the knot with a single strike of his sword rather than sitting idle and wondering how to disentangle it. None could blame him on being uncivilized or tactless. None but a fool would question his ability to survive the intrigues of his enemies. Alexius was simply young. But how could his young heart explain his strange company?

“You are welcome, Kir Alexius. But I would request a small service in response. I see you have built a firm relationship with Kir Romanus Philantropenus. Could you tell me how it happened?

Alexius lowered his gaze and spoke as if he remembered events that happened long time ago. “Romanus was a regular guest to the family. In a way, he was like my father’s brother. But for me he was nothing but a friendly stranger. Most of the time he and my father preferred to discuss matters of politics in private or hunt together. My sister, brother and I were only present at the dinners but Romanus paid us only occasional attention, though he was quite kind. “

“Was he equally indifferent to you all?”

“No,” Alexius looked up. “He was not haughty, he was concerned about us. But he was certainly friendlier to me than the others. He had problems with Manuel, I think my brother hated him. My sister thought of him as just another uninteresting person of my father’s surrounding. Our relationship strengthened during the years I spent in Minor Asia. ”

Instinctively, Alexius checked whether his interlocutor was listening to him and continued, “I admit it had difficult time there. I spent most of my life in Constantinople and several summers in Morea, which were all relatively peaceful. In Asia, I clashed with the reality. The sight of dead bodies, ravaged villages and mutilated soldiers were devastating,” Theophil noticed the slight change in his voice that lasted only a moment. Alexius continued,” The Turks were –and still are- like a wave that threatened to sink our last strongholds in Asia. They were masters of the bow and horse and ready to die for their cause. Their leaders might not be very familiar with the art of war but they compensated that with the natural Turkish talent for fighting and numbers. They are a certainly a tough opponent but an enemy I learned to respect. The beginning is always difficult.” For a moment Alexius smiled ironically,” I can not say that Romanus who also joined the expedition, probably by request of my father, easily overcame the difficulties of the campaign. But the common difficulty helped us know each other better. “

“It seems you know him better than many others… What kind of person is Romanus?”

“A man who loves luxury, definitely,” Alexius laughed. In the next moment he had regained his serious countenance and added, “Some may claim he is a coddled aristocrat but when cornered he can be extremely resilient. I have seen him in a different light than many others.”

“You certainly made me reconsider many of the rumours I have heard about him. “

“You should. I can assure that most of them are completely false and that others are exaggerated”

“But some have noticed he behaves strangely lately. Have you noticed that?”

“I did and we talked about it. He declined to give me a direct answer but I understood what was happening. With the death of my father he has lost an ally but also a friend he desperately needed. “

Theophil stared at the face of the young man and calmed his beard. Romanus would not resist his look if he–not Alexius- were in front of him. The first night they met Romanus almost fainted when the judge cut his finger.

“Have you ever thought he might see something in you that resemble your father?”

Alexius laughed, “I am used to that but the original reason for one’s interest is unimportant. It is that our friendship was strengthened with the years of service in Asia Minor. I can also assure that Romanus is a loyal friend. “

“I can not claim the opposite. As it seems Romanus is very close to you – What does he think on your quarrel with your brother? ”

“He knows my brother is a complicated personality but he thinks that the quarrel over a woman is foolish. He is confident we will soon forgive each other”
    “And you?”

“I hope the same. I love my brother and I pray you find the murderer and clear the name of Manuel and the Doukas. He is now like a beast in a cage and I blame our conflict on Manuel’s isolation”

“And Kir Mastakes?”

“I can not blame Kir Matsakes on everything that happened in my life, though it could be very convenient ”

“Thank you, Kir Doukas,” Theophil stood up and Alexius followed to see off his guest.

“No, Kir Branas, it is me who should be grateful for what you will do for me, Manuel and my brother’s mistress’ life. I am in debt to you”

----------

Perhaps not as good as I wished but it is still a comeback. Comments are very welcome.

The conversation between Theophil and Alexius will be best understood if you still remember the nature of the relationship between Alexius' father Nicephorus and Romanus + have a look on the conversation between Richard and Alexius in the previous update. Situation is indeed confusing.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 03-20-2011 at 11:41.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Solid work, but I do have quite a few quirks with it.

The use of the word "Kir" every time becomes slightly annoying and detracts rather than adding to the authenticity and the "Byzantine feel". Perhaps you could let it be for a while, using Italian words that were imported already into the language? For the Byzantines, leave it like that, it is requires. But for the others, such as Kir de Garcia, doesn't quite read well.

When considering the imagery and the overall picture, you manage to show the surroundings well but there are some parts lacking, particularly in the beginning of the chapter where I personally would have liked a bit more description to make myself acquainted with the place of action.

I do like a lot the dialogue, that's a major plus to the chapter. This goes on the slight side as well which I noticed it the most when Alexius was talking to Theophil towards the end - it feels stilted and not necessarily natural, something of a forced dialogue that goes beyond the "forced" part of the characters' own dialogue and goes into complete rigidity.

Otherwise, no further comments because I like the plot (I read the chapters on the page to make myself acquainted) and it becomes confusing in a good way, slightly pushing you to "turn the page".
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Blog Entries

Two of the servants of Alexius came with Theophil as far as the gate of the house. He knew one of these smart faces from the few days he traveled with Alexius. The man seemed to have passed the test of the hardships in Asia Minor and was now given a task to spy on Alexius’ guests. The man found dead in the forest earlier this morning was another familiar face and his death was a blow for the young man. Most probably.

Theophil went out of the building and hot air wafted at his face. He greeted his two guards who were already waiting in the yard after a refreshing cup of water. The horses were also there led by three grooms. The judge came to his horse and tapped his neck. Theophil met the big eye of the stallion and smiled. He put his right leg on the stirrup and vaulted onto the saddle. He looked at his guards who were already mounted and were waiting for his sign to head for the Palace. Narrow streets were full with servants, merchants, clerks and clergy. Women who hid their hair with scarves according to an ancient Greek custom that the Orthodox Christianity strongly supported could be spotted in this elite quarter of Mystras. This quarter, called Chora was meant for the nobility and higher clergy and all those who were close to the governor. It was also situated on the highest level of this city who was built on the slope of a mountain. The other level Kato Chora was also defended with a wall, which Nicephorus Doukas completed during his eight year reign in Morea. The poorest people lived in the last level that was left unprotected. Theophil missed the smell of sea in the streets of Mystras who had grown as an inland capital in the heart of Peloponessus Peninsula.

The main gate of the Palace was open and a small group of clergymen were walking in the yard. He noticed a silver crosier glittering amongst the black cassocks and cylinder-like hats. Theophil dismounted and silently walked behind the clergy. At the entrance he showed his ring to the leading officer who nodded and passed to meet a well-dressed clerk. In the yard a small crowd of people waited to be accepted by the governor as usual. The priests suddenly stopped for no obvious reason. The archbishop of Lacedaemonia approached the judge who knelt and kissed the biggest of the four rings on the archbishop’s hand

“God bless you. Rise, my son,” Chomatian placed his hand on Theophil’s head. Theophil rose and was asked, “What leads you to this place, Kir Branas?”

“I came to report the governor, Right Reverend”

“Good, my son,” his cunning eyes shined, “I am also attending the governor. You know, the ecclesiastic and secular powers should work closely. When you sail back for your home please give my regards to the archbishop of Thessaloniki. “

“Of course, Right Reverend,” Theophil lowered his gaze submissively. Rings were probably the only excessive thing in this man’s clothing. The archbishop played with the local patriotism because his tunics were of slightly lesser quality and probably produced in Morea. In face and figure the archbishop looked like true follower of Christ.

“Yes, I heard how you revealed the murderer of his secretary. Yet, I hope you will not intervene too much in the ecclesiastic affairs, my son.” The archbishop’s voice was also very calm, Theophil thought, as he heard this praise and the warning. Yet, he wondered how successfully he upheld the church autonomy when Nicephorus Doukas was alive.

They discussed several unimportant topics until they reached the chambers of the governor. There the secretary of Andronicus Assen was just instructing his servant to bring more parchments when he saw the bishop. The secretary bowed and announced that his master was expecting him. As Chomatian passed and entered the room, the secretary looked at the judge and told him politely,

“Kir Theophil Branas, your message was received! Unfortunately, Your Honour may have to wait until the meeting between the bishop of Morea and Kir Assen is over -”

“I will. This meeting was planned for tomorrow but the recent events have made the matters urgent.”

“I understand, Kir. Perhaps you would wish to relax until Kir Chomatian leaves?”

The judge almost accepted the offer when he saw an officer climbing up the stairs. His bald head, the bandage on his eye and hideous scars attracted his attention. The secretary rushed to the new guest, “Kir Nicephorus, I am sorry but Kir Assen can not accept you right now. He speaks with the archbishop of Morea. His Honour the judge of Thessaloniki also asked to be accepted. ” The officer looked up and met the judge’s eye. As he turned to the secretary, he revealed his disfigured face. Parts of his lips and his nose were missing bringing about the illusion that he was constantly snarling. The secretary suggested placing him in another room when the judge requested to talk with the man. He told the secretary that they would be in the garden of the Palace.

The secretary seemed content and withdrew. Theophil greeted this Nicephorus. There was no mistake: he was the same man who attended his powerful namesake the day the latter was found dead. Their paths already crossed once during a certain investigation in Thessaloniki; in addition one of his informants was a distant cousin of this Nicephorus and therefore, the judge had some insight on the cloak-and-dagger activity of this person.

“Our first meeting in Thessaloniki was very brief, Nicephorus. I presume you have been summoned here by your namesake, the late governor?”

The man grinned and said with his unpleasant hoarse voice, “Yes, but, Kir Branas, I will not discuss this with you.”

Theophil Branas suddenly pressed the man at the wall of the corridor. The man showed his big teeth “Leave me alone, Your Honour”

“Is it the same reason that led you to Thessaloniki then?” Theophil whispered in his ear. He hated this rudeness but he needed a close contact because he feared of being overheard.

“I - ”

“I know.” Theophil hissed, “But I will not waste my time with you. I want to find out who killed your master and will send him to the scaffold. Understood?”

The agent snarled, “Understood. You know the only reason to hold me against the wall is because I allowed you… Kir”

Theophil felt slightly offended about this rude remark about his declining fighting skills. There was a time when he was one of the good swords in Thessaloniki… He dropped Nicephorus who grinned,

“You say you will send the culprit to the scaffold, which is a bit too ambitious. Let’s walk to the garden, Kir”

Theophil agreed and they continued to go down the stairs. The agent continued to talk, “Kir, I do not doubt your abilities to investigate. Your reputation is well known in the Empire. But we all are aware of who the enemies of my late master are. The Raoulis and the Cantacuzenoi pull the strings of this game and they will not stop until they win.” Nicephorus snarled again and added, “What you will do is to catch the small fish because your net is too small”

“Leave the investigation to me, Nicephorus”

“No, Kir. The judicial system is corrupt. You are helpless to change that. Kir Raoul would buy his freedom. Once the old Emperor Andronicus dies, the Raoulis and Cantacuzenoi would purchase more privileges and immunity. The Empire will be thrown to the wolves”

“I can assure you that whoever the culprit is, he will pay. If necessary I will bring the case to the Emperor himself” Theophil remembered that unprecedented move of the Emperor when His Majesty fired his own high judges and together with the patriarch saw the cases for a whole day.

“I wish you good luck then,“ the agent grinned.

“You may not trust my methods but at least for the moment I am in a better position. Eventually, I may surprise you.”

The agent laughed, “People seldom surprise me twice.” He scrutinised the serious countenance of the judge and added with another ugly smile, “Going back to your original question, I can’t help you much. The only thing I know about her is that she is abducted and probably alive. Unfortunately, I did not have time to study this woman so closely…”

The assassin slightly bowed but Theophil stopped him. “If you can’t help me with that I have one last question,” Theophil said calmly concealing his triumph. The agent turned back. “Could you describe me how Nicephorus Doukas looked like when you saw him dead?”

The namesake of the late governor shook his head, “You don’t like to go empty-handed, do you? The poison caused a massive hemorrhage, that’s it. Blood was trickling from his nose and mouth and there was red foam on his mouth.”

“Do you have any idea what poison could have caused his death?”

“I am not a physician, Your Honour,“ the man demonstrated his faked irritation and looked the judge in the eye, “Anyway, it was obvious it’s meant for swift but extremely painful death. I bet it has something to do with the master of snakes, the assassin who tried to turn the funeral of the despot into a bloodbath.”

“Thank you, Nicephorus”

The agent snarled in an attempt to twist his disfigured face into a smile and disappeared behind a rose bush. Theophil calmed his beard and slowly came to the plant. He stared at the white flowers and their green leaves. He studied their exquisite heart shaped leaves and found sharp thorns that hid behind them. Still buried deeply in his thoughts the judge touched one of the flowers with his finger. A branch of roses swayed but the hand was gone. A judge had rushed for the Palace.

-----------

Criticism and other comments are warmly welcomed here.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 05-08-2011 at 17:33.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

No, that's not an update. But this might result in an update. To my shame I never played MTW2 but found out that the soundtracks are great. The most inspiring two for the moment are this

and this

Ah, this is also very very good.

Last edited by Prince Cobra; 05-11-2011 at 21:39.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

again,its the same praise for you

A seriosuly epic tale,Pacy read totally convinicing.The Sheer might of your storytelling is so damned hard to resist!

I loved it,This brings back history to life

Overall a great story,aggressively good,but a geuinely thriiling one,top drawer story,heart pacing read,one of the most exciting stories I've read in a long time,another real sorcher

A briliant read

Blog Entries

The secretary opened the door before the judge who entered the hall. Pens were squeaking on the parchments and the governor was sitting on a big chair at the other end of the room. Andronicus Assen had elbowed on the chair arms and was slowly calming his beard. As the governor saw his approaching visitor, he ceased his play and bent on his small throne. The judge walked to the middle of the room where he bowed to the governor of Morea. Andronicus Assen met the eye of Theophil and sent away the courtiers with a gesture of his hand. For a long moment the judge and the governor were as stiff as mimes who waited for money and applauds. But unlike these actors, Theophil and Kir Assen anticipated the moment when the small crowd of clerks and courtiers would be gone. Only after the door had shut behind the last man, the governor rose and invited the judge on one of the stools around the nearest table. A large map of Morea was opened on it. He sipped wine in a wooden cup and gave it to the judge. He watched Theophil swallowing the refreshing liquid and said,

“You asked to see me, Kir Branas”

“It is true, Kir Assen. I hope you have been informed about the recent accident”

“Yes, I heard about them”

The judge drank from his cup. He heard the plural form of the noun very well and saw the countenance on Kir Assen’s face. A moment of silence before Kir Assen continued, “I was just reported that a hetaira was abducted and that one of my guards was bitten by a snake”

Theophil put the cup with wine aside and said, “It seems the assassin is attempting to fight back”

“Yes, “hints of anger went on the face of the governor, “He knew that the guards is put on high alert and picked one of my newer guards. The man is now dying”

“Terror is his last but most efficient tool,” the judge concluded thoughtfully but actually reflected on Kir Assen’s words. Killing someone’s guards might prepare an attempt on their master. It was not a random fact that Matsakes protected his best guards almost in the same way he did himself. But soldiers were often not as cautious as their masters were. The judge gave way to other thoughts, “I think the assassin is desperate because he lost most of his followers in the church and is now alone. In Morea there are no cobras and therefore, he does not have an unlimited number of dangerous snakes. And yet, this man is dangerous”

“Constantine said the same,” the governor slightly calmed down, “But I can not sit and watch my people dying. You probably know that a guard of my soon to be son-in-law also died today. Rumours circulate that I can not guarantee the safety of my people.”

Theophil tried to remember everything he had heard about this Mustafa the Syrian. A mysterious assassin with extreme power on animals. People whispered he was one of the last to be trained in the traditions of the Hashishin sect. Others claimed he came from an ancient order in Egypt; there were even rumours he came from Hell to punish the sinners.

“I will do my best, Kir Assen. My resources are limited but the man is not invincible. First, he might be addicted to hashish and second, he loves to use snakes from distant lands. He needs help to import the brutes. “

“Whom do you suspect?” the governor asked.

“It is hard to draw conclusions. Although, I think he and his henchmen used Venetian ships to travel from Egypt to Morea. As to who stands behind him, it is too early to say. It could be the Angevins from Naples, or the Latin barons in Achaia,” Theophil said and noticed the glow in Kir Assen’s eyes when the governor looked at the map. “Participation of internal elements is also likely”

The governor smiled, “Why am I not surprised?”

“It could be also related to the death of Nicephorus”

“In other words, the culprit, whoever he is, is trying to destabilize the province”

“This could be a good explanation of the recent tragedies,” Theophil agreed.

Kir Assen thought for a while and said, “You are a chief judge of Thessaloniki and my guest, Kir Branas, ” The governor looked at the judge, “ I fear the assassin may be tempted to remove you. Therefore, I plan to increase your guard”

Theophil thought for a moment. Andronicus Assen was still under the influence of Matsakes and his guards were probably infiltrated by spies of the steward. In the first days of his arrival the Syrian assassin had sent him a message and offered him an alliance against the Doukas. Such an offer was unacceptable but it hinted he was not his primary goal. At least at that moment.

“Thank you, Kir Assen. I would be very glad if I am allowed to pick my own men amongst the candidates. I believe an increase with two men will be enough” It was impolite to decline such an offer, Theophil thought. And he needed his guards, who were also good detectives, somewhere else. Andronicus Assen drank from his cup and said,

“Very well. Do you want to discuss something more about this murderer at this stage?”

“Actually, yes.” The governor put the cup aside and stared at the judge. Theophil duly continued, “Kir Assen, I heard that Constantine had ordered several artists to make a portrait of the assassin and spread it among the population of Mystras and the local garrison. While this is a good tactic, I think that the assassin is a master of disguise,” at this point the judge noticed the governor scratching the surface of the table. Theophil had another eye contact with the governor, “I think the assassin would probably choose people who would not be suspected or are marginal to our society. Monks, lepers, blind… He could be all of this. “

The governor did not say anything and simply nodded. A long moment of silence followed. The governor straightened up, looked at the thick wooden door and then again at his interlocutor. Theophil calmly waited for the next topic of their conversation.

“Kir Matsakes offered me to start an immediate search for the hetaira,” the governor began and wrinkled his forehead slightly, “I, of course, will do that. Perhaps you can help me with your thoughts on her mysterious abduction, Kir Branas”

Theophil remembered his promise to Alexius and decided it would serve the interests of the abducted hetaira. “If Helena Theodorina is alive, then we should do our best to save her. The woman was close to Manuel and could know something important for our case.”

“As far as I remember both you and Kir Matsakes interrogated the hetaira,” the governor screwed his eyes

“This is true but she could still hide some secrets. I advise a certain incentives for those who return her safe.”

“Do you mean that Morea should cover these expenses?” the governor calmly asked.

“No, it should be one or several of the dynatoi. We should be careful not to appear too much interested in Kira Helena. “

“Will my soon to be son-in-law be part in this activity?” the governor drank from his cup reflecting on the situation

“I think so. I will also try to attract Manuel and Kira Ripsimia Kalamanos”

“I will not hide it, Kir Branas,” the governor said as he put the cup again on the table and slightly turned it to the one side. “I dislike this woman because she may humiliate my daughter. I do not wish her dead but hope that once she returns, she will be sent away never to be close to my soon-to-be son-in-law.”

“Thank you for the understanding, Kir Assen”

The governor left the cup and slightly dragged his hand on the surface of the table. The governor looked straight into the eyes of the judge of Thessaloniki and rose. Theophil also left the table and bowed asking for permission to leave. The governor nodded and the judge headed for the door but was stopped by the clear voice of Kir Assen.

“Kir Branas, I hope you will attend our little gathering tonight. I, my steward and my guest Kir Demetrius Raoul would be content if you accept this invitation”

Theophil turned back and said with determination, “I will, Kir Assen” The governor of Morea nodded again and headed for his seat in the centre of the room. Theophil went out of the door, which was a signal for the people outside to return to their work.

------

Thank you, Takeda. I wish at least part of these compliments were deserved.

Back on the story. Let's hope you did not forget that Demetrius Raoul and people around the late Nicephorus Doukas (Andronicus Assen and Constantine Matsakes) are enemies. The idea of such a scene came to my mind just recently and it's going to be an enjoyable writing.

The other thing is about the background of this meeting. There will be another scene where the governor will sit in the main hall of the palace with the elite in Morea around himself. Here, he is more or less working with scribes and documents and occasionally accepting some of his notable guests. Just a note.

Andronicus Assen also appears to be a very protective father and this further complicates the love affairs in the story.

About Mustafa the Syrian. It adds another layer of intrigue and let's hope I did not put too many layers in this story. The good news that one way or another this assassin has a role in this story. The funny thing is that this character unleashed his lethal skills around the same time I changed my Org. name. That's in fact a coincidence. That's by the way, another useless note. The more useful thing is that he will bother the characters more and more often, though... All right. Full stop.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 05-27-2011 at 20:50.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345