Thread: El Diablo Campaign

Default El Diablo Campaign

Having just obtain TW Eras - and as a result being able to update MTW 1.0 to VI!!! I was thinking of starting a good old campaign to dominate the map.

You punters in the .org are all knowledgable folk and as such are more than welcome to become my "advisors" - hey if I can figure out how I can even hand over the reigns after a set number of turns or the death of the king. To someone to get me out of the deep smelly stuff.

I am not a serious player (nor experianced) and as such am not going to play VH/VH, probably more like M/M.

Firstly I want to start in the early era but am not 100% on which faction. I have usually played (overplayed?) the Danes and have limited experiance with Muslim troop types.....

Soooo... what do you think???

(*note you will all be held accountable if my campaign turns to custard and I die, if so you will all be hanged, drawn and quartered and your innards dangled from the tower......) +2 dread
    "My IQ test came back. Thankfully it was negative"

Been to:

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Re: El Diablo Campaign

First I would advise you to instal the 2.1 patch as all kings die at 56 when playing unpatched VI.

Secondly I would recommend the Spanish if you want a less challenging game (rich provinces and iron) or the Hungarians if you want a challenge (good mix between European infantry and access to great HA: Szezleky and SHC).
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

I would recomend the Byzantines - no Pope problems, Mega Jedi princes, excellent troop types from day 1 when you start in early. You probably loose Naples early on, but from then on you grab some provinces around you, do a bit of teching up, make some fleets and begin systematic world domination. The eastern provinces are easier - to my mind - to subdue, so when you turn to the west, your size has made you irrestable. Throw in a good trade income from Constantinopole, Antioch and Tripoli.
    I recently did such a campaign, only attacked Catholics after they had attacked me and still ruled the world before the Horde arrived. only word of advice - take out the Pope last to prevent those mega returns.
    Have fun.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

I'd recommend you jump straight in to XL and play the Armenians. So far they've offered me the most rewarding experience.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

XL Norway. Sweden or the Volga-Bulgars --> the best 3 i'v played so far (starting early)

XL is huge improvement on original vi, so i really reccomend getting it :P

Blog Entries

Well if we start right away with mods.

I would also recommend XL (haven't played any other mods)
    possible factions:
    - Cumans or Volga-Bulgars if you are in to cav strong armies (problem: no new units from high on)
    - Scotland or Ireland for challenge and some new units

P.S. @ Vladimir: What was so rewarding about the Armenians? I haven't played them yet but you got me interested.
    Last edited by Peasant Phill; 08-01-2006 at 14:39.
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill

P.S. @ Vladimir: What was so rewarding about the Armenians? I haven't played them yet but you got me interested.
    Thread hijack alert!

I disagree with this. When playing Armenia in Early I went on a ransom war against the Egyptians. It took a while to get enough units built to where I thought I could stand a decent chance I attacked as soon as I could. Having no trade resources I built up some low level farms and that nice 100 man strong AP infantry.

I missed the Sultan but I was able to ransom back a large number of troops. The extra income from the southern providences was nice but I couldn't hold them easily early on. Thankfully the Turks held off attacking until I had wrested the momentum from the Egyptians. The Turks didn't offer much of a challenge as the Byzantines were at war with them as well.

You have to be mindful of what land you take. Always target the most profitable and only build defenses until you dominate the region. After the Turk menace was over I conquered Egypt and took on the Elmos. The fighting in West Africa was interesting because of the light, aggressively oriented armies I faced. Quite often when I attacked I was on the defense. This worked out quite well and the Naphtha crews earned their pay.

I knew victory was assured after I conquered Morocco and was recognized as the faction with the highest income. This all took a while and I wanted for the horde to show up before I took on Byzantium. They had already expanded into the steps and therefore war was imminent. Now the de jure Eastern Roman Empire is the de facto Holy Roman Empire and they're being squeezed into England.

I've managed to groom my heirs quite nicely and have many good generals. For some reason the green_generals command doesn't seem to be working since I upgraded to XP.

I've played with the Irish too but the Armenians were the best: Sandwiched between three superpowers, low on cash and short on luck. The best thing I like about them is that they have a catholic navy.
    and:

It's easy when you're cheezy!

I think I detailed my strategy in the XL thread.

Strategically you're in the middle of a crap sandwich, the key is to make your neighbors eat it while you steal their meal. I started off on a ransoming war against the Egyptians. I got there too late to take the Sultan but I captured a lot of troops. Basically just wage a war for profit. If you know the cheesy tricks like using your mounted archers/crossbowmen to take out troops as they stand there you’ll be ok.

On the defense: Just remember that Armenia itself is fairly easy to defend and that the computer thinks in two year cycles. You leave to attack the eggies one year, and return the next to foil its plan. Make sure you produce at least one ship to guard the coast against seaborne invasion. Other than that just use sound tactics and build up your defenses.

It took me until the High era to subdue Africa and the Turks; after that I wanted for the Mongols to arrive to weaken the Byzantines and moved in for the kill. Now the Eastern Roman Empire is the de facto Holy Roman Empire.

Oh yes, and make sure you groom your heirs. Don’t prune them because you need those extra horses.

On horses: I started the game with a different XL version than I have now. In this new version all the medium cavalry become heavies and they’re a little rougher in the desert. I recommend modding the spreadsheets to allow Lesser Armenia to produce AHC, that should do the trick.

Any other way I can help?
    Finally:

I'm an XL fanatic and can't see how the game can be enjoyed without it. I also wanted to say good job on the Armenians . They have the best music, horse archers AND mounted crossbowmen (I love mobile firepower), and the armor piercing 100 man strong infantry is nice too. I just wish they had a little more attack value. Oh well, that's what Morocco is for .

I started playing them with an earlier version of the mod which gave me easy medium cav which were taken away(?) after the newest patch and I’m not too impressed with their "royal" knights. I must say that it was like hell fighting across Africa with armored spearmen; I really didn't see any other way to counter all their cavalry and missiles. The beginning was tough as I had to take on the Fatmids(?) for the "ransom the Sultan" bit. Thankfully the Byzantines teamed up with me to take out the Turks, I just hope the horde helps check their expansion

I'm still trying to decide on armored spearmen vs. Latin Auxiliaries. It would be nice though to check the growth of the factions. It's too easy to tech up and generate income; I’m richer then the mighty Byzantines only controlling Africa, the lands south of my starting position and trade. I'm thinking of trying to double the cost and maybe maintenance for troops/buildings.
    Whew, that's it.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Ha ha... right lets get this sorted.

All kings die at 56??? That does not seem fair (especially as my heirs/generals have a low life expectancy anyway), so I may have to find the
    2.01(?) patch - any hints as the location of this???

As for the faction to play I probably wont install any mods at this stage as they seem to make the game more "challanging" (that to me that means harder and at this stage that means too hard ).

Probably the most compelling argument for any faction was the "has the best music" call for the Armenians . I must say that I usually have the music off and play my own background music.

(I had a bad experiance in playing a huge amount of hours of Civ II before figuring out you could change the music on that. I still have nightmares about that %&$@# cursed tune.)

Also I find that picking music as to the type of battle you are in helps. No point having mellow music playing when you want to crush an opponent. Similarly faster music may cause a rash charge.

I like the sounds of Spain or Byzantines at this stage. So lets narrow it down to that. I will continue to practise custom battles at home tonight so that I wont make a total fool of myself.

Been to:

Okay had a look for the 2.01 patch but the totalwar site said that I would not need it as I obtained the VI addition from the Eras pack.

Can anyone confirm this???

Been to:

Just read what the VI manual says. I can't remember if it has the patch included but I didn't think it did. When you start the game the version should show in the upper left (?) of the loading screen; look for it.

Down with dried flowers!

Blog Entries

Thanks Vladimir

Which faction to choose

Byzantines: I haven't played them (come to think of it I haven't played any orthodox faction).
    the reason for this is simple: in early not much of a challenge (jedi-generals, rich lands, best army from the start)
    secondly you already have almost al their units from the beginning so nowhere to work to.
    thirdly a lot of provinces to manage from the start.
    Why choose Byzantium? easy start but gradually getting harder (at least if you don't go on a killing spree and get unstoppable before high) ideal to learn the game better and hone your skills.

Spane: my first campaign
    why play? good defensive position if you conquer some provinces . Some easy battles in the beginning (rebels, Aragonese and French at Toulouse) to get the feel of your army. Easy access to European opponents as well as Eastern opponents. And of course the possibility to crusade to your hearts content without them marching 10 years before they get to their target.

Righto then, a couple of things...

1. Checked last night and the MTW VI you get in the eras pack IS pre-patched to 2.01 so no need to sort that out.

2. For a couple of reasons I have decided to play the Spaniards. For one they have only two starting provinces and thus wont be too much of a task to run at the start, second it kind of goes well with the "El Diablo" moniker.

2. Spanish it is then.... now World dom or GA???

However I gave them a bit of a trial run on easy last night and although I won a couple of fights I am unsure how to use Jinittes. I am not the best with horses as it is (baring click and charge!!!!!). Are Spanish Javliners any good???

Any pointers???

Ohh and what would you (my advisors) recommend building?? I thought maybe a chapter house in Valencia (or whatever the capital is) or should I wait and build that in Leon with the iron???

Next who to crush first? Navere??? Aragon??? Saracens???

Ohh and the ever popular bribe El Cid or not???

Cheers in advance

Been to:

It's your choice. Explore and have fun! Jinettes are easy and perhaps the best unit in early. Just use the javelins and spam spam spam them.

Down with dried flowers!

Blog Entries

I would suggest that you read the guide for suggestions concerning strategy.

About Jinettes, if you use them right you will learn to love them. They are fast, their javelins are armour piercing and they can fight better then every other light cav unit. Just don't mindlessly charge them.

Try reading the 'how to use horse archers' guide and Frogbeasts unit guide for some pointers on them. There are also some Jinettes threads in the library.

My advise: use them on heavy armoured units like AUM or Ghulam bodyguards, or use them to disrupt their line. Don't charge them unless all their javelins are spent. And if you charge them don't do a frontal one, remember these are light cavalry

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo
    Righto then, a couple of things...

2. Spanish it is then.... now World dom or GA???
    Excellent choice! The Spanish (Castille-Leon in XL) is my personal favorite. As to which mode you want to go with, that depends on your preferred style of play. Do you want to conquer the map and have a ridiculously huge empire, or would you rather play your faction somewhat more historically and launch a bunch of Crusades to the Holy Land? (I personally have come to prefer GA mode over Dom mode, but that's me.)

However I gave them a bit of a trial run on easy last night and although I won a couple of fights I am unsure how to use Jinittes. I am not the best with horses as it is (baring click and charge!!!!!). Are Spanish Javliners any good???
    Ah, Jinnettes. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.... First of all, train lots of them. Hordes of them. Carpet the entire land with them! (Okay, maybe not that many!) My exaggerating aside, though, Jins *do* give the Catholic Iberian factions a great advantage when utilized correctly. Just use their javelins to wear down the enemy's heavy infantry and heavy cavalry, and then charge them into the enemy's flanks and rear once they're out of ammo.

Ohh and what would you (my advisors) recommend building?? I thought maybe a chapter house in Valencia (or whatever the capital is) or should I wait and build that in Leon with the iron???
    Build your main chapter house in Leon. (That way your Knights of Santiago will start with a +1 bonus when launching Crusades from there.)

Your capital starts out in Castille. I tend to focus that province on churning out royal knights and religous agents. Build a monastary there so your Inquisitors get a +1 bonus. Use the "Inkies" to go and fry enemy Catholic generals, and/or take care of any of your own that are giving you trouble. (Assuming he's found innocent of course, a general's disposition can be greatly improved by a visit from the Inquisition!)

Next who to crush first? Navere??? Aragon??? Saracens???

Ohh and the ever popular bribe El Cid or not???
    Bribe the Cid.

Conquer Navarre as quickly as you're able.

Bribe the Cid.

Then take out Aragon before they have a chance to expand beyond their initial province. (If you invade them and then storm Barcelona Castle the next year, you won't get excommunicated by the Pope!)

Bribe the Cid.

Ready some Crusades in Leon to launch against the Almohads and drive them off the peninsula.

Oh yeah, and in case I forgot....bribe El Cid. In addition to getting another excellent general, his duchy of Valencia is a pretty nice province in its own right as well.

Once you have Valencia, Navarre, and Aragon annexed into your kingdom, start pumping out troops in preperation for invading the Caliphate. Focus on training troops in your iron provinces. Don't bother with a lot of archers at first, and don't train more spearmen/feudal seargents than you'll really need. Concentrate more on Jinettes and whatever your best infantry is at the time (probably FMAA); they'll serve you better when going up against the Almohads.

Later on when your position is more secure, start working on building a thriving trading network in the Mediterranean. (I like to us Aragon and Portugal as my main ship-building provinces.) In addition to the huge amount of income you'll reap, it will also give you a way to quickly deliver Crusades to the Holy Lands.
    Last edited by Martok; 08-11-2006 at 21:22.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Having just obtain TW Eras - and as a result being able to update MTW 1.0 to VI!!! I was thinking of starting a good old campaign to dominate the map.
    Me Toooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man its so awesome finally get to play RTW and BI and Mongol Invasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.