Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: The Will of the Senate - out of character thread III

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: The Will of the Senate - out of character thread III

I am working on the Library update as we speak. However, I'm not going to update the screenshots of the compositions of the Legions and other major military formations. There are simply so many of them now and most don't even have the proper banners in the proper places, so it would take a lot of time to update their info and even then it would be confusing. I recommend that from now on, if you want to see the specific military status beyond what can be seen on the maps of the 'current' Republic, you load up the save game.

Of course, if someone else wants to do all of the armies and navies, feel free. Also, info on wives and children and the updated composite photo of the family tree will be posted tomorrow, not today.

If anyone would like to help me out, please compile updated battle statistics for all lower house generals (including dead ones). See Publius Laevinus (first Bio) for an example.
    Last edited by TinCow; 09-08-2006 at 00:31.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Slight concern.

I'm assuming that Manius Coruncanius is going to be the second general in the Consular Army heading for Carthage - BUT! - he has more command stars than Marcellus.

Braden, do you mind if one of your command-related ancillaries is given to Marcellus for the time being? I promise I'll give it back once I get some command stars.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Tiberius/Fred/Mark/Isaak Member flyd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    If anyone would like to help me out, please compile updated battle statistics for all lower house generals (including dead ones). See Publius Laevinus (first Bio) for an example.
    I'll get on that.
    Βασιλεοπατωρ Ισαακιος Κομνηνος
    Basileopator Isaakios Komnenos

(Save Elberhard)

Ok, here it is. All generals not listed below participated in no battles and do not require an update.

Lucius Aemilius

Battles Fought: 25
    Enemies Killed: 14375
    Romans Lost: 1106
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 13:1

Marcellus Aemilius

Battles Fought: 2
    Enemies Killed: 360
    Romans Lost: 54
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 6.7:1

Publius Pansa

Battles Fought: 17
    Enemies Killed: 7566
    Romans Lost: 1466
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 5.2:1

Augustus Verginius

Battles Fought: 23
    Enemies Killed: 15833
    Romans Lost: 2019
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 7.8:1

Amulius Coruncanius

Battles Fought: 3
    Enemies Killed: 1260
    Romans Lost: 957
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 1.3:1

Galerius Vatinius

Battles Fought: 1
    Enemies Killed: 81
    Romans Lost: 7
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 12:1

Tiberius Coruncanius

Battles Fought: 18
    Enemies Killed: 12121
    Romans Lost: 3009
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 4.0:1

Numerius Aureolus

Battles Fought: 9
    Enemies Killed: 3485
    Romans Lost: 479
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 7.3:1

Titus Vatinius

Enemies Killed: 259
    Romans Lost: 107
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 2.4:1

Gaius Rutilius

Enemies Killed: 1126
    Romans Lost: 1103
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 1.0:1

Cornelius Saturnius

Enemies Killed: 1138
    Romans Lost: 238
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 4.8:1

Quintus Libo

Enemies Killed: 1061
    Romans Lost: 28
    Kill:Loss Ratio: 38:1

(Save Elberhard)

Oza the Sly: Vandal Invasion Member Braden's Avatar

@ Generalhankerchief,

Does he?!?! Blimey and I thought my Avatar was a bit weak….sorry. IF the consul plans to have my Avatar as 2nd in command of that Consular army then he can transfer the Ancillary (can’t remember what I’ve got applicable though).

Manius needs practical battle experience – fighting rather than leading at this time so the Consul can feel free seeing as my Internet at home is still down as of this morning.

I’ll post here immediately that I have a connection at home as the Mod is fully installed and working perfectly.

I’ve run through a year and a half from the Summer 255 save with no problems and even found that my IC comments (those made before I had the save file) have proved completely accurate!

…just need to practice against Carthage now.

(you can tell I’m chafing at the bit to tell someone what’s happened!....must resist….must……make……..others…….worry!)
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Transferring the Priest of Jupiter (+1 command) should make Marcellus the Leader. Giving him the Priest of Mars (+2 command on attack) would not hurt either. By the rules, we are allowed to "farm" priests and I think trying to make sure all inexperienced Lower House generals have these two ancillaries would be a smart move. We have a fair number of unassigned avatars who can be used to farm priests and transport them to the front. I would recommend transferring the two priests and then replacing them with farmed ones asap.

PS: Good job updating the kill ratios, FLYdude. And TinCow with the library.
    Last edited by econ21; 09-08-2006 at 09:43.

Excellent work, many thanks FLYdude. All that is left to update are the wives, children, and family tree composite. That will be done after I get home tonight.

One thing I did notice... two of our Legion banners are currently not with Legions. Legio IV banner is with the Field Army II and Legio II banner is with Marcellus Aemilius, who is alone in the field. Obviously, Legio II banner is being transferred to a the army near Rhegium, but please don't forget about the Legio IV banner, since we already have many armies with no names at all. Also, we've been referring to the army landing at Lepcis Magna as a Consular Army. People should be aware that it isn't even remotely close to a Consular Army. It is 12 units strong, including 2 Senators. It's really an oversized Legion.
    Last edited by TinCow; 09-08-2006 at 12:12.

AO Viking's Tactician Member Lucjan's Avatar

1 senator. Only Servius was crazy enough to take on that expedition! And you'd all better know it!

Not even Manius wanted to come....

I noticed the lack of troops in that “supposed” Consular army and I’ve just posted a long triad against the invasion taking place now.

Seriously guys, if we land a Consular army near Carthago 2/3 seasons after that Legion lands we are seriously NOT going to win.

We’ll be handed our arses in a sling…*Edit: To melodramatic*……(BTW: I haven’t played through a Carthage invasion yet; been play testing against the Selucids thus far only but I’ve seen what our spy can see in the new .sav file).

Question: Will retreating/defeated armies withdraw onto ships?

An Undertaking – I’ll announce it here and now……I will run for Consul after the next two Consular reigns have ended as my Avatar will be 29 years of age and (even though still a little young for the position) he’ll have his 10 years of service and will look a better proposition for the Senators to vote for (assuming he survives).

Assuming my Avatar is landed in Africa with the Consular army he’s with now, I will start lobbying the Consul for a Legion command as soon as I’ve got a direct internet connection at home. (after a good few battles using the available .sav files, I’m confident enough to say I can take an active part in this PBM now)

This may mean moving out of Africa but that’s fine as he has IC reasons to want to be on the Eastern front.

BTW – what happened to Molon the Selucid general?? I can’t find him in the Bosperous region in the new save, did I skip a beat, has he been caught and killed?
    Last edited by Braden; 09-08-2006 at 14:11.
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Braden
    BTW – what happened to Molon the Selucid general??
    AFAIK, he's still in Maronia. FLYdude is set up to attack him this turn, although maybe the new First Consul will need to rethink that. There are a lot of very interesting (read: tricky) military decisions to be made - both there in the East and in Africa, as you mentioned.

I think we should follow DDW's rule of playing "blind" though. If we start playing ahead and altering our strategy based on that, we are role-playing Dr Who rather than Ancient Rome.

AO Viking's Tactician Member Lucjan's Avatar

Molon is still sitting in Maronia, playing bait for anybody dumb enough to attack him. And yes, troops will retreat onto ships, provided they're directly on the coast.

Agreed. Try not to give anything away of what I've played through.

I'm mainly playing ahead to get practice in battles and watch for technical problems as they develop.

Hence, I'm not actually doing any building or recruiting in the campaign as I'm playing independantly forward. Like I said I'm experimenting around the Bosperous at the moment only and I've had lots of fun battles. Including one I was absolutely, certain I would loose but managed to snatch a win somehow (it was wonderful play by the AI on the campaign map BTW).

....actually, I think I may double check the difficulty settings. Just to make sure its still on Medium battles *mutters to self* I really should have lost that battle *mutter*

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Braden

Question: Will retreating/defeated armies withdraw onto ships?
    Yes, they will - if enough of them make it out of the battle alive, and if the ships are adjecent to the battlefield.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Thanks, never been in that sort of situation before in Rome so just wondered.

I've put an OOC question on the IC thread, I have to apologise but it felt the correct place for it at that time.

Again, its based on the fact that not taken something into account previously in the Rome game - this time with the AI - and wondered if anyone has any info on it?

BTW, I will not be able to run as co-consul. I don't get the time on the PC at home (wife hogs it for work), and I can't even keep up with the forums at work as its a bit crazy right now and I barely have time for a coffee break (hence my limited contributions to the IC thread)

I'll still be able to play as a LH general though
    Last edited by Mount Suribachi; 09-08-2006 at 19:44.
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Currently getting some deals sorted out before I post my manifesto.

Sorry for the delay, everyone.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Augustus Sempronius Member StoneCold's Avatar

Btw, is there a write up anywhere on what troops are available in RTR for rome and other factions and what are their cost, strength, etc., other than the limited one present in the library?

Thnx

Quote Originally Posted by StoneCold
    Btw, is there a write up anywhere on what troops are available in RTR for rome and other factions and what are their cost, strength, etc., other than the limited one present in the library?

Thnx
    Not that I know of, but I could extend the one in the library. What further information do you want? Including Seleucia is the most obvious thing. Maybe Thrace, although I think they are not much of a threat anymore.

I would like to see the troops info for Iberia, Germania, Seleucia and Plotomy if it is not too much work.

Thanks in advance.

There is no general unit reference guide in existence for RTR. One was meant to be finished last year, but as with almost everything else RTR that isn't directly game related, it was done poorly and then never finished.

The best you can do is open the game files and look at the data for yourself.
    export_descr_buildings - list of what units are recruitable where
    export_descr_unit - list of all unit stats

ok, didn't know I can just read it. Is there a difference in the unit strength between V1.4 and V1.6? I just d/l the 1.4v, not patch to 1.5 yet.

Thanx
    Last edited by StoneCold; 09-09-2006 at 17:21.

Can someone send me patch to v1.5, M_Nmod.exe and HarbourLandBlock.zip? Also the 4tpy file? The links to the rapidshare files are down. Thanks.

It appears that Photobucket now restricts image sizes to 1024x768, so the family tree composite (in excess of 2000 pixels wide) is heavily compressed. What other image hosting services do people use, and do they allow large image sizes?

You can try ImageShack TinCow. Not sure about the limit, but you can check it out.

Library update is now finished.

We have three unassigned family members, I encourage those still using agents to switch to them. There will be a ton of new family member who will become available over the next 5 year consulship: 3 males will come of age and 9 females will be marriable (5 of which are marriable now).

Vibius Domna
    Appius Egnatius
    Oppius Aemilius

Quote Originally Posted by StoneCold
    Can someone send me patch to v1.5, M_Nmod.exe and HarbourLandBlock.zip? Also the 4tpy file? The links to the rapidshare files are down. Thanks.
    The harbourlandblock.zip is:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/...rLandBlock.zip

The Metro-Naval mod is in a two-part zip:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/mn14_1001.zip

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/mn14_1002.zip

The 4TPY file is:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/...Mod_v1.9.3.zip

The patch of RTRPE to v1.5 is a big file (44MB). I have uploaded it to rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.de/files/32540901/...Patch.exe.html
    Last edited by econ21; 09-10-2006 at 00:03.

I decided to test DDW's theory that a greater number of ships can hold the land bridges. I used create_unit to spawn a large number of ships, which I then packed as densly as possible in and around the straits. They failed to stop the Seleucids. Looks like we'll have to hold them off the old-fashioned way.

I notice Braden asked above about Molon, and was given an incorrect answer. He is not in Maronia as of the latest save, summer 255. He's just across the strait in Abydos.

(Save Elberhard)

OK, we're on page 20 of this thread and since we are about to have a new First Consul, now's a good time to start a new thread.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920