Thread: No Good Ranged Units!!

Default No Good Ranged Units!!

Its annoying me beyond belief, Im playing as the HRE and they have no good ranged units, could someone recommend me a ranged unit thats amazing, I know longbowmen are good, but how can i recruit them for HRE?

Default Re: No Good Ranged Units!!

They get Mounted Crossbows, which are VERY nice. As far as foot archers go, the vanilla variety should do just fine in Early.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

You can hire longbowmen as mercenaries.

What about mounted X-bows?
    What eara are you playing? If your in early no catholic faction can get decent archers (at least not in comparison with longbows). If your in high or late, crossbows and arbelasters can do the jow comparable with longbowmen (slower rate of fire but lasts longer). Besides Longbows are a special unit: fast firing archers with armour piercing arrows, and they can fight reasonably will to.

If you play a mod there could be other units with the archery skill that you seek. In XL SHC are HA with good melee skills and fast firing armour piercing arrows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

From Early: Archers, mounted crossbows
    High onwards: crossbows, pavise crossbows, arbalests, pavise arbalests.

In the early period you're better off than say the French or English who don't have mounted crossbows.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Definitely mounted xbows -- you really need to master these guys to get the best out of the HRE. Remember they are armour piercing, and fast (well manoeuvring they are, they still shoot slowly) and used properly can really whittle down the heavy enemy units. They really come into their own once the Danes start throwing huscarles at you!
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Start in the High era in the XL mod and you can get Bohemian bowmen IIRC.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by beans_on_toast
    Its annoying me beyond belief, Im playing as the HRE and they have no good ranged units, could someone recommend me a ranged unit thats amazing, I know longbowmen are good, but how can i recruit them for HRE?
    You can´t, unless you hire them as mercenaries. If you have conquered Genoa, though, you can recruit Genoese Sailors, I think and they´re the best substitute you can get. They´re not armour-piercing as Longbows are, but they´re better than the vanilla archers. Anything else you´ll have to content with your vanilla archers until you get crossbows and arbalests. And until you get them, even the vanilla archers can do their job.

I´m not much of a friend of mounted missiles of any kind, but those who advertise them do have a point. I´m not sure (haven´t played an unmodded MTW for quite some time), but maybe you can dismount the mounted crossbows and get some foot crossbows before anyone else does. Or keep them mounted and use them similar to the foot variety, just remember not to move them about a lot, they don´t reload on the move.