Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What book(s) are you reading now?

Default Re: What book(s) are you reading now?

Les Mots by Jean-Paul Sartre
    Byzantine Grand Strategy: 6th - 11th century by Charalambos Papasotiriou, highly recommended for anyone interested in a thematic approach to byzantine foreign policy (not sure if it's been translated into English - there are high chances though).
    Also browsing the newest addition to my TASCHEN collection, Moorish Architecture in Andalusia.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: What book(s) are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer_951
    A Song Of Ice And Fire G.R.R Martin- just finished. Brilliant series. Anyone fancy making a mod for this? Pm me!

(...)

When i acquire some modding skills, I will actually try to make ASOIAF (Song of Ice and Fire) mod.
    I saw a map sometime ago of a mod called Westeros: Total War, but they hadn't been updated for over a year so I think that mod is dead. Try searching for it in the modding forums here and over at the TWC and you might turn up something.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

I know you got sole - Jeremy Clarkson

Thumbs up Re: What book(s) are you reading now?

Emperor: The Field of Swords. i was reading the second one first and it was good. the book is so good it would get an Oscar if it was a movie. the part when Brutus' legion's were revealed to the Helvetii by a shine of light was amazing. then a scout told Julius that the Helvetii were on the hill mistaken that, that was Brutus' legion. then Julius says: "Arrest that stupid man and hold him for punishment. Those were our own legions you stupid bas****."
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 08-26-2006 at 00:39.

Hey there! I just joined and wanna get acquainted.

I just finished George Orwell's political masterpiece, 1984, and have started White Fang by Jack London.

1984, for those of you who don't know, is an excellent book about one man's struggle to survive in a futuristic "negative utopia" in which there are no freedoms, and chronicles his vain, meager attempt to overthrow the totalitarian government of the country in which he lives.

I have no idea what White Fang is about, as I just started reading it. All I know is that it is like The Call of the Wild, a great book about a dog sold to gold miners in the Yukon Gold Rush. The story is essentially a metaphor the retrogression of civility in one's personallity upon entering a more primitive environment.

I hope I don't sound like a stupid dork trying to pass for someone intelligent... lol
    WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

welcome Raptor to the Org!

Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan
    Emperor: The Field of Swords. i was reading the second one first and it was good. the book is so good it would get an Oscar if it was a movie. the part when Brutus' legion's were revealed to the Helvetii by a shine of light was amazing. then a scout told Julius that the Helvetii were on the hill mistaken that, that was Brutus' legion. then Julius says: "Arrest that stupid man and hold him for punishment. Thos were our own legions you stupid bas****."
    I read that book, if you read on through the series the way the relationship between julius and brutus + the character of julius becomes really interesting (more entertaining than the evnts themseleves)

on Field of Swords i found the book to be just slightly too long overall and it gets a bit drawn out in the middle, although the author rightly wanted to stuff as much of julius's v interesting life into the series as possible...

right now im in the part where Julius is going to meet Atrorvius.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Wheel of Time - Book 9(!) and The Punic Wars by Adrian Goldsworthy, which I am enjoying immensely. That man is a genius.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan
    right now im in the part where Julius is going to meet Atrorvius.
    u havnt got to the good bits yet :)

I also just started Hardtack And Coffee Good book.
    We're not here for a long time, so lets have a good time!

Countries i have to go before death...

Countries i've been

Philosophically Inclined Member CountMRVHS's Avatar

CountArach, Goldsworthy wrote The Fall of Carthage, right? I own that and have read parts of it. Didn't know he wrote the Punic Wars too. At any rate Fall of Carthage covers the period of all the Punic Wars. A bit dry, but interesting nonetheless.

Sort of off-topic, but Michael Dando-Collins wrote a couple of fun & informative books: Caesar's Legion and Nero's Killing Machine. Each book follows the history and adventures of a particular Roman legion -- the first one was Caesar's prized 10th; the second book covered I believe the 14th(?). Fun, funny, easy to read, good battle & strategy descriptions; all around I'd recommend it for all you lot if you like fun history/military books the way I do.

CountMRVHS

Hi everyone

I've just started Emperor, The Gates Of Rome by Conn Iggulden. It is a story about Julius Caesar that covers 4 books and so far I am 245 pages in and he is only in his early teens. It is quite easy reading and I am finding it quite enjoyable.

The Spartan & Scurvy : Glad you are also enjoying the same series. I feel quite confident that I will want to read the other 3 books .

Enjoy the rest of the bank holiday everyone

Thumbs up Re: What book(s) are you reading now?

woot! Yakobu!
    i started with The Death Of Kings because i wanted to start with Julius.

i think The Gates Of Rome start with Marius?

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

I've read them all, I did like them a lot but things like [warning, not something any would be readers 'd like to know]
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Brutus taking the Glory at Alesia
    I found disappointing.

Further more, I enjoyed reading Caesar and Fortune's Favorites (by Colleen McCullough) more than the Emperor series. Simply because they contain an astounding amount of detail, and because I find that the author is able to make a fluent story while not taking excessive liberty interpretating History.

That said, by all means I enjoyed the Emperor series and also recommend them to anyone interested in the time frame.

Oh btw, YAKOBU, back already ?

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

ahh!!!!!!! I read the spoiler!!!
    you should have said which book DG!

The Spartan : Emperor, The Gates Of Rome centres around Julius Caesar in the 245 pages I've read so far. His childhood friend Marcus lives with him and is integral to the story so far.

Dutch_guy: I'm just lurking, check my Farewell thread

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire, by Adrian Goldsworthy.

Excellent book, i highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Divine Wind; 08-27-2006 at 20:57.
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

I'm reading Emperor: Death of Kings, or whatever the second one in the Emperor series is called. Can't be bothered to finish it though. The first book was good, and I got the other 2 as well, just I can't be bothered to sit down and read it.

I'm also reading (well, one chapter every 3 months or so) A Riot of Our Own: Night and Day with the "Clash". An interesting insight into the legendary punk band The Clash. It really gives you a feel of the British punk scene and the band back in the late seventies.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: What book(s) are you reading now?

Interesting thread. Now I am reading ' Passions of Mind' by Irving Stone. It is a biography of Sigmund Freud. Really interesting . The other is about Byzantium; plain history.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Hm... The McCullough 'Master's of Rome' series. I felt the first two were excellent, the third was fairly average. The ones after I couldn't bear to read. Sickening hero worship of Caesar.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

"How to Write in Perfect English"
    "Beowulf"

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

I am reading some eassys and articles by Thomas Paine. He wrote some of them right before the American Revolution, some while he was a soldier in the Continental Army, and some about the French Revolution. It is kinda hard stuff to get through, but it really makes you think.

Also I just finished John Grisham's "The Partner". I think it is better than most of his books. If you like his books then you will like that one.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS
    CountArach, Goldsworthy wrote The Fall of Carthage, right? I own that and have read parts of it. Didn't know he wrote the Punic Wars too. At any rate Fall of Carthage covers the period of all the Punic Wars. A bit dry, but interesting nonetheless.
    Not sure if he wrote that one. He has written many other Roman Army books, like The Complete Roman Army and In the Name of Rome: The Men who eon the Roman Empire.

He is a bit dry, but that is the case with most history texts (At least in my experience)
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Dispensing plasmids one bacteria at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Matador
    Also I just finished John Grisham's "The Partner". I think it is better than most of his books. If you like his books then you will like that one.
    His early stuff is quite good. Then he got to be a little...full of himself and all of his subsequent books were terrible. I stopped reading them a while ago, so I guess he may have had some sort of writer's renaissance, but somehow I doubt it.
    "Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?"

--Fry, Futurama, the show that does not advocate the cool crime of robbery

just finnished the fall of byzantium and the forth crusade

hard going but very informative.
    To the Sprucemoose Smithers "but sir",click,"I said get in!"

I'm on the third part of Robert Anton Wilson's "Cosmic Trigger" trilogy, and I also consumed "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut, last week.

The only history book I read in the last while was called "Rubicon" and was a narrative history of the Roman Republic through till the reign of Agustus(its brilliant stuff, so much more crazy and dramatic than nowadays)
    * Never take an eejit with you on a journey. You can always pick one up when you get there.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock for about the one millionth time.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Dispensing plasmids one bacteria at a time...

Has anyone read China Mieville's Perdido Street Station? I picked it up today; any thoughts?
    "Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?"

--Fry, Futurama, the show that does not advocate the cool crime of robbery

Currently I'm reading The Sea Hunters II by Clive Cussler. Haven't read much, but what I did read is quite interesting.

Ausculta mihi! Tibi dico!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast