Thread: UT2004 install problem

Default UT2004 install problem

I recently ordered a DVD version of UT2004, and I am having an install problem that, from what I've read, is somewhat common.

Any attempt at installing results in a "dirty disc" error, saying that the source file could not be read. The disc is brand new, and the other reading I've done says that the disc is not the problem here. I know that it has something to do with the copy protection not recognizing my DVD-ROM drive, which is quite old and came with my first computer. I may just go out and buy a new DVD-ROM, but I was wondering if any of you had this similar problem before.

I've tried the demo of Alcohol 120%, but it apparently got stuck after 75%. I've also tried installing in various safe modes, but the problem just keeps happening. I know this is common, so maybe some of you ran into it before. If you did, how did you solve it?
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Default Re: UT2004 install problem

With new DVD burner drives selling for less than $30 delivered (see here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827152058), the first thing to do is replace your old drive. It should save you lots of headaches in the long run...
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

The DVD may be brand new but it may be badly burnt which can not be noticed physically. I recommend a replacement order.

I fixed this, I bought a new DVD-ROM and it installed without problems.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Great, Geezer beats me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine
    Great, Geezer beats me on this.

Not me - I didn't beat anybody, honest! At any rate, Kongamato is the real winner, right?
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."