Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioshock non-gameplay discussion

Default Re: Oh my, new Bioshock screenshots

Excellent video! I especially love how all the creatures in the game world operate according to dynamic AI and do not rely on scripting! Looks positively gorgeous in action too, I shudder to think what the system requirements will be.

I wouldn't worry too much about the developer's emphasis on the word 'fps' or 'shooter', I think they're simply trying very hard not to alienate the fps crowd by presenting Bioshock as being purely a sci-fi crpg game. Given Irrational's track record I seriously doubt Bioshock is going to be lacking in the depth department.

Speaking of System Shock, apparently there is some really bad blood between Irrational and EA over the fate of that series...

http://digitalbattle.com/2006/08/01/...-pissed-at-ea/

BioShock Dev Pissed At EA
    August 1st, 2006 by Armin Siljkovic in Action, Adventure, Xbox360, PC, Rumor, Multiplayer
    Irrational Games, developer of BioShock had a few things going on with EA in the past. Company boss Ken Levine says the reason there were no plans for System Shock 3 was because, as he puts it, “EA just didn’t give a **** about that game”.

Apparently Levine had it all worked out for System Shock 3, a story design, concept etc. He says:

“I think if EA were to do it, it would’ve been just a regular first-person shooter with a boss monster at the end.”

According to Levine, EA didn’t see System Shock as a big brand, and didn’t give it much attention. Their new publisher, 2K Games did see the potential in the series,

“We have a publisher who cares about this game, and they believe in this kind of game. 2K Games is the company that helped reinvigorate Elder Scrolls and Civilization. They believe in core games.”
    Wow, EA letting a stellar property rot on the vine? What a shock!
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 09-22-2006 at 19:23.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Well maybe it's all for the best then that there is no System Shock 3. But I thought nobody owned the rights to System Shock 2 and it was legal to download? God why out of all companies EA, should have dealt with Ubisoft or other much more sympathatic publishers.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

That video is really starting to get my hopes up.

Creepy environment? Check
    Disturbing environment? Check
    Creepy sounds? Check (sadly he did ramble a bit too much to hear what that splicer was mumbling about in the last scene).
    Ammo being scarce? Check
    Daul AP ammo ? Check
    Mad AI... uh singer? Check (we'll see if he can rival SHODAN, although certainly not in the same way)

The splicers seemed nasty enough to make your fear for an encounter with them, wich is good (in this case ). Only gotten that feeling in AvP2 as a marine and SS2, although in both games that feeeling started to drop about halfway through.

We do need our trusty wrench though.
    Last edited by Ironside; 09-23-2006 at 09:51.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside
    That video is really starting to get my hopes up.
    Yes, it showed that the E3 interviews and the screenshots certainly weren't lying.

I think the game does look rather less absolutely terrifying than System Shock 2 - the splicers don't have the bowel loosening quality of the hybrids or cyber-midwives. And maybe the premise/story is less good, who knows? But I certainly recognised enough of the core elements of SS2 in it to make this my most anticipated game at the moment (sorry, M2TW).

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside
    We do need our trusty wrench though.
    And we got our trusty wrench

http://www.gamespot.com/events/x06/s...pslot;action;1

Seems that they weren't kidding when they said that the big daddies are strong.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

"Look Mr Bubbles Adam!"

that line alone had me hooked great video really looks like theyve recreated the SS2 atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody
    "Look Mr Bubbles Adam!"
    There's no way I am going to harm a little sister - I assumed from the freaky screenshots that they would be some kind of perverted cybermidwife type creature. But they sound so human, interfering with them would seem like child abuse. Especially when she crawls back into the damp sewer thing and says how cold it is. I wonder what the implications of a "pacifist" approach will be - how seriously will you be disadvantaged without their Adam?

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    There's no way I am going to harm a little sister - I assumed from the freaky screenshots that they would be some kind of perverted cybermidwife type creature. But they sound so human, interfering with them would seem like child abuse. Especially when she crawls back into the damp sewer thing and says how cold it is. I wonder what the implications of a "pacifist" approach will be - how seriously will you be disadvantaged without their Adam?
    Speak for yourself. Little sisters hold the Adam and the Adams is the precious. Me waaannnts the preciousssssss...

Seriously now, just because it looks like a little girl, acts like a little girl and sounds like a little girl doesn't mean it's a little girl. I dunno, call me strange but the idea of fragging cute female mutants dressed in summer frocks and pigtails who wield huge syringes for the sole purpose of draining and consuming my precious bodily fluids so as to get at some mutagenic compound called 'Adam' doesn't sway my moral compass.

Anyway, based on the recently released trailer I love the immediate visual effect Adam has those who take it (Little Sisters excepted).

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Blog Entries

Theres something about RPGs, that if I'm ever given the opportunity to be absolutely evil beyond imagination, I do it. I don't know why, because I'm not an evil person by nature. KOTOR 1 and 2 were both good examples, my characters always seem to become extremely evil. And in Neverwinter Nights, my Character was so evil, I actually halted the story line mid-way, because I killed a Character I wasn't supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizashi
    Theres something about RPGs, that if I'm ever given the opportunity to be absolutely evil beyond imagination, I do it. I don't know why, because I'm not an evil person by nature. KOTOR 1 and 2 were both good examples, my characters always seem to become extremely evil. And in Neverwinter Nights, my Character was so evil, I actually halted the story line mid-way, because I killed a Character I wasn't supposed to.
    Interesting. When I play rpgs I usually opt for the most neutral position possible with a lean towards the Neutral-Good alignment (to invoke an AD&D term). I generally despise being forced to take a path which leads to the stereotypical archetype of a 'good' or 'evil' person. But what I really loathe are games that claim you can choose your own moral and ethical path but penalize you for pursuing anything but the goody-two shoes path to pink-fluffy goodness.

As in real life I prefer my fantasy worlds filled with moral shades of gray. About the only time I lean heavily towards one alignment or the other is if the payoff (read as items, reputation or cool cutscenes) is more substantial for doing so. Oddly enough this self serving pragmatism which governs my rpg playstyle still places me in Neutral-Evil territory.

Thread necromancy, but there is a Gamespot hands-on preview of Bioshock up:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...;picks;title;1

It is looking good - ie System Shock 3 in all but name.

And it's good to know you can rescue the little sisters. Those big daddies had better watch out.

Sorry Fragony, when it comes to Thief, I must agree with you that it is one of the greatest games ever, but System Shock I was not very impressed with. It seemed a little boring and repetitive. Also, too unrealistic. It was ok, just not my favorite. Bioshock on the other hand, I think looks downright pitifull. It looks to me like a cheap carnival horror game. Is it being made by the same team that made SS2 and Thief2? I think that is the only thing that would ever convince me to buy it. :P
    Didn't mean to be too harse on it, the graphics look evolved. :)
    The only horror game I have ever played that I really like and that actually scared me was Doom 3. I LOVED that game and was dying to see what happened and voting for "damage" and "control" through the whole game, then the ending came...
    That really the game and all the plot that had built up so far.
    So yeah, I guess that means that I have never played a horror game that I liked, so if you like horror games, I guess you can discount my opinion. :P
    (Though I LOVED the Doom movie )

Vuk
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

If i may ,id like to Point you to Helios's Circus Maximus Article , ive written About Bioshock in it and it has the Trailer for you to watch..plus a bit on the Background of the world which i must say is absolutely Stunning.

finally they are releasing a Game that craves to your intellectual side as well.

Scroll Down to Circus Maximus to see it.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...56&postcount=1

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk
    Sorry Fragony, when it comes to Thief, I must agree with you that it is one of the greatest games ever, but System Shock I was not very impressed with. It seemed a little boring and repetitive. Also, too unrealistic. It was ok, just not my favorite.
    How far did you get? No way you can like Thief and dislike System Shock. But it is what you said. Maybe you weren't in the mood, try again

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I'm confused. Is Bioshock coming out on PC at the same time as the Xbox?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    I'm confused. Is Bioshock coming out on PC at the same time as the Xbox?
    Yep, both versions is announced to come out 21 August, according to gamespot.
    Last edited by Ironside; 06-13-2007 at 09:01.

It will be difficult for a game to beat FEAR in my mind as the best horror/shooter out there. Doom 3 was just a joke in terms of horror; a bunch of cheap "oh no, a monster popped out" tricks.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lehesu
    It will be difficult for a game to beat FEAR in my mind as the best horror/shooter out there. Doom 3 was just a joke in terms of horror; a bunch of cheap "oh no, a monster popped out" tricks.
    FEAR is pretty straightforward imho, bit of shooting and creepy story sequence, got a bit old towards the end. Still heaps of fun because of the insane ai and creepy atmosphere, couldn't stop playing. They should have dehumanised the enemies, an army of cloned supersoldiers with a psychic commander just should have been cooler then it is now. Should have implemented mind tricks, it's a bit like condemned. What is there is good but should have been much much better.

ps, The Suffering is an excellent horror-shooter, you might like it.

May try System Shock again some time. It may just be that I really don't go for the whole space thing. :P (Doom 3 being the only exception...till the ending :P)

Lehesu, I don't know how you can say that. Fear is one of the only big horror shooters I haven't played, and Doom3 is the only one that ever frightened me (yes, Vuk is confessing to being frightened) or really drew me in. The Movie was one of the best I'd ever seen. :P

Fragony, please don't be offended by my comments, it is just my opinion. :P

lol,

Vuk
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Doom was certainly the best movie-of-a-game which I have seen.

Both the game and the film though lacked interest, and so for me were not frightening. It failed to engage me enough to make me that tense to be honest. Just like every "horror" movie I've ever watched.

System Shock 2 however had enough story and character to get me involved and so care about what was happening. The game balance, especially for the first half, also made me feel extremely vulnerable. The second half was much easier, but by then I was hooked anyway.

I really hope that Bioshock doesn't prove to be a let down, it has so many interesting features. But a number of games recently have, IMO, fallen short of what they could have been. Maybe I'm getting fussy.

They seeee you! Run, ruuun!
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I love the entire game concept and all.

KOTOR made me feel sad.
    I wanted to accomplish the game with a good feeling (good side).
    I also wanted to wield the Sith powers (bad).
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Default Sv: Re: Oh my, new Bioshock screenshots

Time to bump this thread up from the grave since the game is about to be released.
    And can point that there is a demo out on the Xbox marketplace for you all to enjoy it.
    *downloading now but it's taking forever*
    Last edited by TB666; 08-13-2007 at 12:19.

Default Sv: Oh my, new Bioshock screenshots

I will make another post so that people can see that it's updated
    Anyway, finished the demo.
    Pretty short but it gives you a tease of what's to come and I must say, fricking awesome.
    First controls:

It's pretty simple controls, the standard Xbox controls for a fps.
    Right triggers shots the weapons and left triggers uses your powers.
    It's feels just like it should.

Graphics: This game is just stunning to look at.
    The levels, the water, the fire etc looks great.
    Also it very smooth, didn't notice any stuttering while playing.
    The enemies looks cool as well. The big daddy is one of the coolest things I have seen in a game.
    The light is very fitting considering your location and adds to the mood.

Sound:

The sound is top-notch not to mention creepy as hell.
    It reminds me alot of SS2.
    The sweet lullaby sung by the little sister is just pretty while at the same time creepy.

Gameplay:

You can only enjoy some of it but it already makes me hunger for more.
    It works just like they said it would. If a enemy is standing in a pool of water then just sap it with a lightning bolt and watch him fry.
    I can see great things in this.
    You can pick up items lying around. Things like food, drinks(yes you can get drunk) and medpacks and other things useful.
    You can also find money(which you didn't get a chance to use in the demo) and 2 soundtapes that features recordings of people living in the city that gives you a hint to what has happened.
    One particular recording gave me goosebumps.
    You never get the chance to fight a big daddy but you do see him in action and it put a nice smile on my face when I saw it because it was so cool.
    As stated before, the game is creepy just like they promised it would be.

I was really sad when the demo ended. I really didn't want it to end.
    But the game will come out the 24th and that day will be great.

Owww god, why did the bloody thing had to die now

I should be playing demo in an hour. But xbox360 did what xbxox360 does

Well, why is there no PC demo?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Never heard of Bioshock until now and the previous one. How well does the second one run on say a ATI Radeon 9200? Every game made after FEAR, including some of the new RTS' don't even run as demos on it .
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Second is almost 10 years old should work fine, may want to make a hard-drive partition because it doesn't really work well with XP. Can't buy the second anymore, if you want to download it PM me, can't link it because of rules, not legal or illegal, grey area thingie.
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-14-2007 at 07:53.

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    It's almost 10 years old should work fine, may want to make a hard-drive partition because it doesn't really work well with XP. Can't buy the second anymore, if you want to download it PM me, can't link it because of rules, not legal or illegal, grey area thingie.
    Nah it's cool. Fileplanet won't even let me down load the demo it so I figure I'd just have to wait for Bio2 and a new rig or maybe a 360 but games are always better on the comp.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Default Sv: Re: Oh my, new Bioshock screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Well, why is there no PC demo?
    Because they like Xbox more ??

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast