Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Default Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Thanks for your fast reply!

I have tried the button swap for a second time...and it didn't work :(

I can't change anything that has to do with video setup in my bios...might have to do with gateway's restrictions on it. Setting my desktop to 1024x800 did not work either...I'm starting to lose hope now...I. Want. To. Play...I'm thinking about spamming the hell out of CA...but that probably won't work either :(

Are you sure you're placing the button files in the correct folder?

If that doesn't work then older drivers are your best bet. Can you find which ATI driver version you're running?

I'm placing the buttons in the folder: "Medieval - Total war / campmap / buttons". Then I take the buttons from the dl and place them in there.

My current drivers are:

Driver Packaging Version 8.433-071109a-056313C-Gateway
    Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
    2D Driver Version 7.01.01.704
    2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
    Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0540
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.7059
    Catalyst® Control Center Version 2007.1109.2138.38670

Hope there's still something I can do :)

I'm using 8.421.0.0. This is an older version. Unfortunately because you have Vista and because there are no older drivers for the IGP for Vista 64 - you're out of luck. The only thing I can advise is reverting to XP and trying that (not guaranteed either though) or try running the game on another PC.

Well actually the vista I have is 32-bit...does that make a difference? And I only have my laptop unfortunately...

Well no that won't make much difference. The Vista drivers are fairly recent. If you can install XP on that machine it might be worth a try with older drivers, but again there's no guarantees.

Heya, i am new to the forum too (found it via google "graphic problem medieval total war") and i hoped ya could help me out too.My problem lies both in the battles AND the campaing,battles seem to be soo wrong as for graphics,units cross the buttons,if i order them to go in front they run behind or somewhere completely irrelevant to where i sent them and i cant targer any unit through the map,only by the buttons.Seems like units are set in an actually different resolution then i see them or something like that :S As for campaing its not that hard to explain,everytime i start any sort of campaing i am thrown to windows desktop without a word of error reporting..

My system is Intel core 2 duo @ 2.66 ,2gb ram,32-bit system,NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GTS aaaand i got windows vista..

Counting on ya guys,Medieval is an absolutely great game,its sad that i cant play it anymore :(

Hello Eorl,

Unfortunately there is simply no solution to run the game on Nvidia 8xxx series cards.

god damnit.. pff too bad,thanks for your fast reply anyway m8,ya saved me aloooot of time looking through the internet to find a way to make it work ;)

Greetings everyone,

Having read the entire thread (and about half a dozen similar ones in other places), I have just about given up on getting my MTW to work - alas, I have the dreaded Intel chipset on my old Dell (945GM to be specific). Funny thing is that the driver version is 6.14.0010.4446, dating back to December 2005, and the newest version I can find online is from 2007, so I guess that's not much help. Tried all the skipcredits, resolution and buttons fixes, but none worked. Oh, and AGP texture acceleration? My chipset doesn't even support it.

Just in case somebody does have an older driver (or one that works), I'll gladly take it, but I am not holding out much hope for that. Seems that I won't be playing this game until maybe I change my laptop (for one that does not have the blasted Intel chipset, ).

PS: Worst thing is, when I got this machine, MTW worked fine, but I seriously messed up my windows at one point and decided to reinstall. Used all the drivers that came with it, but the game would not work (CTD on trying to load campaign map, the usual it seems ).

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    Hello Eorl,

Unfortunately there is simply no solution to run the game on Nvidia 8xxx series cards.

I might have some good news in this regard. I used to have an Nvidia 8800GT, and I had the UI problem as expected. However, I recently upgraded to an Nvidia GTX 260 and just now tried reinstalling MTW.

It works. Battles and all. (Well, I had to do that one fix with the Campmap/buttons files, but still...)

I only just got it working about 15 minutes ago, so I can't tell whether it crashes or anyhting else over the long term, but my optimism remains high.
    Last edited by jabarto; 04-22-2009 at 08:53.

I really love this game and back when I was stuck with my shitty old computer MTW was the only thing that kept me from destroying the machine. I had no intention of quitting MTW when I got my new Toshiba laptop but I ran into this problem. Everything in the game works fine except the campaign map. I click new campaign, pick the options (any options), and start the game. The loading screen comes up and as soon as it's done loading it goes to the pause screen. When I click resume game the exact same thing happens again. Here are my specs:

Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Display Memory: 1759 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
    Shared Memory: 1631 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll
    Driver Version: 7.15.0010.1502 (English)

The driver is from 6/12/2008 because it's Toshiba's custom driver and they apparently never update. I'm using a Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with 4 GBs of RAM running at 2GHz.

I can't find a way to change the AA options on the graphics card and Toshiba doesn't have any older drivers compatible to 64 bit Vista or my L305 model. I tried just about every desktop-game resolution combination and 16 bit color. I've also been all over these forums looking for a way to fix the problem so this is more of a post of desperation. Please help.

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Currently in exam session with all the sleepless nights and nervousness around, I am trying to think of something(s) more pleasant. Recently, I seriously started thinking of purchasing MTW and playing it again. I mean MTW/VI this classic of classics and who knows I can move to STW one day...(I've never played STW, maybe it will be good idea to give it a shot). Graphics really do not bother me.

After incidentally facing an weird thread about graphics and the inability to properly play campaigns because of too good PC and Graphics card we go to the question... Can my Asus laptop face this challenge?

The prameters:

Computer: 1.86 GHz, 896 MB of RAM; 148 GB of Memory

Graphics: ATI Radeon Xpress 1100, 256 MB

---
    Candidate for installment: Medieval Totalwar Gold (MTW + MTW/VI)

Since I am familiar with the CTD problem, I wonder if this PC is ready to handle MTW. Or I will simply buy something that I will not use.

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 06-02-2009 at 18:05.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

hello everyone,

Nvidia control panel > manage 3D settings > global settings > extension limit:

description:
    Extension limit indicates whether the driver extension string has been trimmed for compatibility with particular applications. Some older applications cannot process long extension strings and will crash if extensions are unlimited. turning this option ON got medieval running on windows 7 64bit with nvidia geforce 8600gt newest drivers.

you could try this as well...

Hi all,

I have been tirelessly trying to get Medieval: Total War to install and run on my laptop. As many have explained, I can install and load any battle just fine, but when attempting to start a new campaign or run the campaign tutorial, the game immediately proceeds to the pause menu when the red loading bar is full (the bottom 1/4 of the screen also flickers after going to the pause menu). If I move the mouse in any way, I get a CTD.

My machine specs are:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.67GHz)
    2MB RAM
    Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset

I have seen others in this thread mention that they were able to get the game to run successfully with this crappy Intel graphics adapter. However, I have been uninstalling and reinstalling several older drivers (all the way back to 6.xx.xx.xxx) with no luck.

If anyone has managed to get this working, can you shed some light on the driver version used or any other tips that helped to get it working?

Thanks!

Ref:
    Comatose-I can install and load any battle just fine, but when attempting to start a new campaign or run the campaign tutorial, the game immediately proceeds to the pause menu when the red loading bar is full (the bottom 1/4 of the screen also flickers after going to the pause menu). If I move the mouse in any way, I get a CTD.

Yoyoall-Everything in the game works fine except the campaign map. I click new campaign, pick the options (any options), and start the game. The loading screen comes up and as soon as it's done loading it goes to the pause screen. When I click resume game the exact same thing happens again

Have you tried this out yet??
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=103656

rapidshare.com/files/115211547/MTW_Gold_v2.01_CTD_Fix.zip.html
    In the three years of war, necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years, we built bombs, we built rockets, we designed and built our own delivery systems. For three years, blockaded without hope of imports, we maintained engines, machines, and technical equipment. We spoke to the world through a telecommunications system engineered by local ingenuity. In three years of freedom, we had broken the technological barrier. In three years, we became the most civilized, the most technologically advanced black people on earth."
    - General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

Quote Originally Posted by cyraxz View Post
    hello everyone,

Nvidia control panel > manage 3D settings > global settings > extension limit:

description:
    Extension limit indicates whether the driver extension string has been trimmed for compatibility with particular applications. Some older applications cannot process long extension strings and will crash if extensions are unlimited. turning this option ON got medieval running on windows 7 64bit with nvidia geforce 8600gt newest drivers.

you could try this as well...
    Did this solve the mouse problems on the battlefield as well, and did you have to apply any of the other fixes mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by amritochates View Post
    Ref:
    Comatose-I can install and load any battle just fine, but when attempting to start a new campaign or run the campaign tutorial, the game immediately proceeds to the pause menu when the red loading bar is full (the bottom 1/4 of the screen also flickers after going to the pause menu). If I move the mouse in any way, I get a CTD.

Yoyoall-Everything in the game works fine except the campaign map. I click new campaign, pick the options (any options), and start the game. The loading screen comes up and as soon as it's done loading it goes to the pause screen. When I click resume game the exact same thing happens again

Have you tried this out yet??
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=103656

rapidshare.com/files/115211547/MTW_Gold_v2.01_CTD_Fix.zip.html
    Yeah I did before I posted, it didn't make a difference. Thanks though.

Comatose, you and I have the same exact problem. I thought my 64 bit might have been a factor but I guess not, the Intel graphics card is the entire problem.

This would be easier if everyone didn't have Nvidias.

Did you try the button fix? If so and it still won't load the campaign map, without crashing, then there's probably no solution. Newer Intel chips are a known problem with MTW.

The extension limit tweak sounds interesting. I would advise that those with Nvidia 8xxx and 9xxx series cards having problems with the units not going where you want them to in battles, try this method and report back.

Last edited by caravel; 07-27-2009 at 21:21.

Which one was the button fix? If it was listed on these forums I've tried it.

I wonder if installing the game on a 98 or ME on VPC will work? Right now I only have a 95 VPC but I'll try anyway and post back.

The button fix is the last post in this thread.

I doubt a virtual machine will be of any use because the game requires Direct3D, but if you want to try it do let us know how you get on.

Yeah I've seen that thread.

According to the box, MTW won't run on a 95 and requires 128MBs of RAM so I'm not even gonna bother with it until I can get a 98 VPC.

As I said, you won't get Direct3D functioning on a VM so it's pretty much a waste of effort.

Oh good grief... I am at the "throwing graphics card out of window" stage... does anyone else have this accursed slow loading screen issue with MTW?

so im having the campaign menu CTD problem. can somebody explain that button switch for me?

Thumbs up Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Phew, this really is a game that you hate to love.

I got this game running fairly easy on my previous system, but when I reinstalled on my upgraded hardware is was one CTD after another and even complete spontaneous reboots.

It seems that I now finally have got it stable (hopefully permanent) and since I mainly used info from this thread to get there, it seems only fair to post my current setup. Maybe someone else can benefit. Oh, and everyone who invested time in figuring these solutions out thanks a lot! (really)

First my system config, I have:
    • AMD64 X2 5600+
    • 2GB RAM
    • RADEON HD4670 (with 1GB)
    • Windows XP Professional SP3
    • Catalyst version 9.8

Game version info:
    • MTW Gold Edition (that's with Viking Invasion)
    • version 2.01
    • XL Mod installed

I tried lots of stuff and I am still not sure what is mandatory to get it to work but I am sure of these:
    • skipcredits.txt
    • button fix

Apart from that I also did this:
    • set anti-aliasing to 2*
    • disabled Catalyst A.I.
    • disabled AGP texture acceleration in dxdiag.exe
    • set AGP memory to 0 MB in MTW performance settings

It might be my imagination, but it seems that this last one helps cut back on loading times.

So now I can actually play again. I even don't have to quit all systray apps anymore (although it might still crash if one of those shows a pop-up). I am still stuck with two things:
    1. Loong loading times - although not (yet) as long as some people are reporting
    2. having to play with admin rights

It would be great if anyone has suggestions on those.

So, thanks again to all the good people here.

Krome: see this thread https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79500
    Look at the end, there it is explained. Really simple download the archive and stick the contents in the right place.

Welcome to the .org Guilielmus Bauarie,

I've tried the settings you've suggested (I've tried these in the past also among others) and there is no difference in load times. I have a roughly 3 minutes delay before the load screen bar starts to move. I have tried newer drivers in the past for my HD 3650 and it makes no difference, so these days I stick with Catalyst 8.8 (the drivers on the CDROM that came with the card).

If you have Shogun TW then you may find that it will run ok. I can run every TW game without issue except Medieval.

I've tried the settings you've suggested (I've tried these in the past also among others) and there is no difference in load times.
    I was already suspicious of it. As far as the actual load time goes, I think mine is shorter than 3 minutes - I'd guess about a minute or so (but I have not timed it yet). But I wouldn't know what causes the difference.

I bought, installed, and patched VI and I had the same problem. I returned the game but I still had it installed on my PC (which is kind of an asshole thing to do except that the game didn't even work).

I started thinking it might be in the .exe (which would be awesome because the expansion uses the same exe as the core game) so I went to gamecopyworld.com and downloaded a new exe for the 2.01 VI and it worked! I've been playing for about 40 minutes so far and no crashes.

I suggest you try another exe if nothing else works.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast