Thread: The main thread - Pike and Musket TW - MTW2 edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Default The main thread - Pike and Musket TW - MTW2 edition

THis thread will be used to discuss about the project in general.

More detailed threads will be started for certain topics.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: The main thread - Pike and Musket TW - MTW2 edition

So this has gone from M:TW to R:TW to M2:TW? Are you doing a mod for each or "upgrading" your rome mod to M2? If you aren't doing one for Rome I apologize; I seem to remember you saying that you were.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

RTW project was scrapped severla months ago - it wasn't worth doing that with the news about MTW2 and the new possibilities it adds - dismountable cavalry, revolvin ranks of musketeers and WARWAGONS especially

The mod expands in several forums

at MedievalTW.com we have another sub-forum

http://www.medievaltw.com/forums/index.php?showforum=68

, more will come later...

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, the new pikemen formations are almost perfect fot the tercio. We'll just have to see how are the musketeers implemented...
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Hello Swordsmaster !

Revolving ranks - this is all I know - we will see about the rest...

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

- split protestant german states into Saxony, Brandenburg and something else,
    If the start date is 1572, then the strongest protestant force in germany, with perhaps the exception of Saxony, is the Count Palatinate of the Rhine. The Rhinesh Palitinate was certainly stronger than Brandenburg, which was very much backwoods at the time.

I agree, but it is hard to find anything unique for this army in the period of time.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    I agree, but it is hard to find anything unique for this army in the period of time.
    Definatly, but really I dont think there was much difference between various German armies of the time period. I know to some players that might be dissapointing, but the prospect of playing as various German-States surely has apeal to many people.

I was going to ask you the familiar question to all M2TW projects recently: "What will you do with the factions with 30 slots?" But then I checked the main thread and remembered that you had already anticipated that development.

Instead I have a faction-related question. Maybe it's a bit premature before unit lists etc. have been drawn up, but I'll ask anyway:

I know there were more then 30 factions in P&MTW and that some will have to be cut, but there were a few small factions that didn't make the cut which I enjoyed a lot, like Switzerland, Ireland, and the Cossacks, mostly because of their unique units. Is it possible that even if the faction itself is not, that some of th unique units of small factions will be in P&M2, as "rebels" mercs or "AOR" units?

Thanks,

Antagonist
    "Society is going down the drain, and it's everybody's fault but ours."

Arthurian Total War Developer

Yes, that is the general idea.

I intentionally have chosen 1570 for the beginning of the campaign which allows more reasonable choice ( Switzerland was pretty inactive since the early XVIth century).

It is very good that Epistoliary Richard found the limit is 30 faction slots, 21 was somehow too strict in my opinion.

Anyway unique units will appear in certain regions - Cossacks, Swiss, Czech even Bulgarian or Slavonian and will be available on certain conditions.

I am going to use all hardcoded limits - we will see how many models are possible to us - that limits us more than the number of skins/generally units.

Member Member Jobst_vonGrünungen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    If the start date is 1572, then the strongest protestant force in germany, with perhaps the exception of Saxony, is the Count Palatinate of the Rhine. The Rhinesh Palitinate was certainly stronger than Brandenburg, which was very much backwoods at the time.

Definitely have to include the Rheinland Palatinate - There wouldn't have been a Thirty Years War without them! It was Frederick V of the Rhineland being elected King of Bohemia (and therefore heir to the Crown of HRE) that sparked off the simmering Catholic v Protestant conflict. And "Pike and Shot" as a military era is almost all about the Thirty Years war and the ECW, which were somewhat inter-related.
    "I am the King of Rome, and therefore above grammar"
    - Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor

ECW was minor conflict between factions of little importance - other conflicts had much more impact on the warfare during the period, ECW didn't.

Palatinate will be added if I find it justified - in June a detailed book about early 30-years war will be published here including the army of Palatinate.
    I doubt there is anything comparable available anywhere (except some books about uniforms which are not of my interest) so before I make a decision I need to wait for that book.

Member Member Jobst_vonGrünungen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    ECW was minor conflict between factions of little importance - other conflicts had much more impact on the warfare during the period, ECW didn't.

Palatinate will be added if I find it justified - in June a detailed book about early 30-years war will be published here including the army of Palatinate.
    I doubt there is anything comparable available anywhere (except some books about uniforms which are not of my interest) so before I make a decision I need to wait for that book.

I read that you are going to have the Protestant League - Probably having both that and the Rheinland is not necessary. It would be sort of like having Burgundy and France. As long as the Rheinland Palatinate is part of the Protestant League. Unless you are trying to have a lot of detailed factions, of course. You could just make the Ruling Family of the Protestant League be the Rheinland's Ruling Family.

I was actually pretty surprised to see when researching the Rheinland Palatine that a majority of modern day Bavaria was actually under Rheinland control at the start of the Thirty Years War. It was a real power back then, not like today. But, like I said, it is my opinion that if you want to go the route of vanilla M2TW adding them is probably more detailed, whereas if you wanted to be like XL or TR they would be a good idea. As far as basing it off of unique units? I don't think they really had anything to set them apart from the rest of the Protestant league, but then the Protestant League wasnt really that different from the HRE. Most armies were starting to get pretty similar at that point in history. Mostly about Pikes, Guns and Pistoleers.
    "I am the King of Rome, and therefore above grammar"
    - Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor

Hey!

I'm currently working on Later Period Pikemen (https://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?...0919593kj9.jpg) and I hope it could be an useful addition for your mod :)

Currently I'm skinning it, hence I have a question - did soldiers in XVIIth century wear any uniforms, or did they wear whatever they wanted? Because some color plates depict the pikemen unit as colorful, differently armed band, while other (like ones with swedish army) show soldiers uniformly dressed, all wearing one style helmets and clothes. Do you know how was it in reality?

Also, did every country have some kind of coat of arms, or did soldiers from e.g. Brittain look the same as soldiers frpm Spain or any other Western-style army?

I've been looking into this one for MTW for a while now. I've never ever done any mods so I don't know what to do but, is this mod done for MTW2 yet?
    First Secretary Rodion Malinovsky of the C.P.S.U.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86316

12th Century Glory!
    http://z14.invisionfree.com/12th_Cen...d7dc28&act=idx

"I can do anything I want, I'm eccentric! HAHAHA!"-Rat Race

Do you think the Golden Rule should apply to masochists as well?

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. yes that's right i dont listen rap..

Hmm the mod is for MTW2 and though we have little tools for now to make the necessary changes it doesn't matter as long as there is enough suppport for the project.
    It will take at least one year to have some mini-beta ready for testing and more to have the campaign prepared.

Well so much for playing it for MTW2 anytime soon

Maybe I'll do it for just MTW sometime.

Good luck on your work.
    First Secretary Rodion Malinovsky of the C.P.S.U.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86316

12th Century Glory!
    http://z14.invisionfree.com/12th_Cen...d7dc28&act=idx

"I can do anything I want, I'm eccentric! HAHAHA!"-Rat Race

Do you think the Golden Rule should apply to masochists as well?

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. yes that's right i dont listen rap..