Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Default Canada

Have you noticed canada has been left in every single game, they don't even get mention at all even Rise of Nations theirs is no Canada civilzation or in any game has any one else noticed this and will there ever be a canada faction in any game?
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Default Re: Canada

Is this topic a joke? A nation as young and inconsequential as Canada hardly deserves representation in most kinds of strategy games. Not that I have anything against the country, it's just not good game material.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cannon_fodder
    Is this topic a joke? A nation as young and inconsequential as Canada hardly deserves representation in most kinds of strategy games. Not that I have anything against the country, it's just not good game material.
    Oh yeah, you're going to make a lot of friends amongst the beaver people with statements like that, eh?
    Unto each good man a good dog

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

If I remember correctly, Canada is still officially a part of the British Commonwealth.

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    If I remember correctly, Canada is still officially a part of the British Commonwealth.
    Phrased correctly, my dearest Kekviterae, it would read; Canada is still officially the best part of the British Commonwealth.

Canada is in CoD3 with missions. But CoD3 is only for the Xbox.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

You make it sound like a bad thing.

Every member of the commonwealth gets a free membership card, a place in the commonwealth games and independence from Britain.

The membership card gets you 40% off at Marks and Spencers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

There is no more reason to put Canada in a "Civilization" game than there is the US. They are both too young to qualify as major movers of history over time.

In a ww2 game, on the other hand, they deserve representation.

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

imagine canada on civilistion:
    Canada/Le Canada
    Unique unit/Unité Unique: The Royal Canadian Mounted Police/la Police Montée Canadienne Royale

on a more serious note... canada hasn't really hit the history books that much at all, it has never been a super power and possibly never will be and so isn't really ever going to be an important part of many games... also my french was probably terrible

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by currywurry
    You make it sound like a bad thing.
    How so? I was pointing out that Canada was a part of the British Commonwealth, and thus was part of an important empire in history. In fact, I'm actually quite disappointed that Canada is left out of many historical games. French-Indian War, War of 1812, WW1, WW2... All of which Canada (being a part of the British Empire for most of the time) has taken an important, but often misunderstood or ignored, role in.

@Zorba: The US has three major, empire-defining, roles in history... Revolutionary War (where we defeated the Brits on their own terms), Mexican-American War (where we first became a superpower in the hemisphere), and WWII, where we helped defeat two overwhelming superpowers with the help of the British (and Commonwealth, mind you) and the Soviets. The US may be young, but it certainly has earned a place in historical games.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Phrased correctly, my dearest Kekviterae, it would read; Canada is still officially the best part of the British Commonwealth.
    I'll agree to that!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

How so? I was pointing out that Canada was a part of the British Commonwealth, and thus was part of an important empire in history. In fact, I'm actually quite disappointed that Canada is left out of many historical games. French-Indian War, War of 1812, WW1, WW2... All of which Canada (being a part of the British Empire for most of the time) has taken an important, but often misunderstood or ignored, role in.
    Sadly no. The French and Indian war is when Canada was conquered from the French by the British. In the war of 1812 the only colonial units that fought were militia battalions. Anyone in a red coat was a British citizen born in Great Britain. The first time Canadian troops fought as a regular army was in the 2nd Boer war. But in WW1 and WW2 all the dominions fought under the British flag in France. I'd like WW2 games to represent the British army as it truely was. A multiethinc (Imperial troops from India, Africa, west indies, and south east asia) and multinational (the dominions Canada, Austrialia, New Zealand, and South Africa) army.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantMonkeyMan
    imagine canada on civilistion:
    Canada/Le Canada
    Unique unit/Unité Unique: The Royal Canadian Mounted Police/la Police Montée Canadienne Royale

on a more serious note... canada hasn't really hit the history books that much at all, it has never been a super power and possibly never will be and so isn't really ever going to be an important part of many games... also my french was probably terrible
    Never has hollond yet they've had mod made about them and I forgot the spelling and location of their country! click here for their website

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    Canada is in CoD3 with missions. But CoD3 is only for the Xbox.
    Cool, I wasn't aware of that. I was going to say something about "perhaps in a WW2 shooter", then I thought that we've probably already seen more than enough WW2 FPSs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorba
    There is no more reason to put Canada in a "Civilization" game than there is the US. They are both too young to qualify as major movers of history over time.
    Did you mean that the other way around? If so, I disagree. The US has made a huge impact in the world in its short history. Also, if it's a "Civilization" game, then it's a moot point anyway, as Canada could basically be considered part of the same civilization as the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Oh yeah, you're going to make a lot of friends amongst the beaver people with statements like that, eh?
    Haha, take it as a compliment. It means Canada isn't so much full of imperialists. You do see my point, however, surely? In a civilization game with limited factions Canada would be a bizzare choice.

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

there is also a canada mod for civ4... but i thought we were talking about real games not modification of games

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

I am looking at Canada and the US in terms of the last 5000 years of human history. Compared to that, we are extremely insignificant.

Blog Entries

I am looking at Canada and the US in terms of the last 5000 years of human history. Compared to that, we are extremely insignificant.
    I guess it depends on where you come from. I don't think the Natives feel the same way you do. If you compare North American History with Euro-Asian-African History, yeah, theres not much in terms of progression. But if you look at it from their point of view, they did a lot, the Aztecs, Hopi, Iroquois, and well... a ton of different tribes did a lot more than just hunt and pick berries.

True, but using that logic all the factions in Civilization games are pretty stupid. Most of them only had a big impact in the world for a very limited span of time.

The original DoD had British maps where the Canadian military was actually concerned, but they were equipped the same way, so the only difference was in the flags present.

I think a Canadian campaign in a series like Call of Duty would do well...Italy, France and into the interior of fortress Europe. I won't buy an Xbox for it, though.

Are there many World War 1 games around? I can only think of mods for Half-life.

There is an RTS game the entente. It's made by a Russian developer with the Cossacks 1 engine. But it only has Britain, France, Russia, Germany, and Austria.

Quote Originally Posted by Abokasee
    Have you noticed canada has been left in every single game, they don't even get mention at all even Rise of Nations theirs is no Canada civilzation or in any game has any one else noticed this and will there ever be a canada faction in any game?
    I have it on very good authority that the reason behind Canada's exclusion from video games is because in a previous lifetime the Canadian people were responsible for committing acts of unspeakable evil. As a punishment for its sins, the Canadian nation must now pay the ultimate price by not only being excluded from all forms of electronic entertainment but shall also be virtually ignored with regard to its government, culture and respectable contribution to the Allied cause during World War 2. Furthermore the people of Canada shall be forever deluded into thinking that the unacceptably thick slices of pork that grace their breakfast plates is actually 'bacon'.

"Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

The problem is, I don't know a single person who would consider that, "bacon"

Honestly Canada is what? 30 million people? Of which what percentage live within 8 hours of the US border? 80-90%? Sure, there are differences between us and Americans, but honestly, what are we going to make a game about? Role-Playing a beaver?
    60+ new units – including the mighty Indian War Elephants, Persian immortals and Indian naked female archers.

Yes

acually that make a pretty good game if you game them guns and all it would be a bit like Battle Feild 2 in some respects
    Last edited by Abokasee; 10-03-2006 at 07:46.

You can play Canada in HoI
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

MS Combat Flight Simulator 2 had decent Canadian content. Lots of unique callsigns and the like. Also, with custom skins, you can fly RCAF missions in IL2.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut

Australia makes Total War games

Last edited by Vladimir; 10-03-2006 at 18:13.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Canada plays Total War games.

You keep working - we'll keep playing.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I suppose Canada could be its own faction if someone made a strategy game based on the War of 1812. Come to think of it, though, even that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, as wasn't it still directly under control of the British crown back then? (I seem to recall that the Dominion of Canada wasn't formed until 1867 or so, but my it's been a while since I studied that period of history.)

In truth, I'm rather sympathetic to Canadians. We have a fair bit in common with most of them, in addition to which we Minnesotans are often mistaken for Canadians anyway. (We just don't say "eh?". )
    Last edited by Martok; 10-06-2006 at 01:36.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    Australia makes Total War games

And Romania makes Ubisoft games such as Silent Hunter III, a favourite among Orgahs.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Ubisoft is French...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast