Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia [Concluded]

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

Default Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia [Concluded]

Prologue

Rays from the setting sun glinted off the high golden towers of the ancient gothic cathedral, brilliantly illuminating its stained glass windows. The view from the outside was enough to stop most people in their tracks and make them stand in awe; it was as if the spire was a shining tower of white-hot flame. Even in a northern city such as this, where fiery autumn sunsets were as common as the falling leaves, this particular evening delivered scenes of beauty certain to be remembered.

The few individuals gathered inside the cathedral, however, would see none of it. They were cut off from the sunlight, gathered in a long, narrow dining hall deep underneath the sanctuary. The only light illuminating their private concourse came from the dim chandeliers hanging over the table and the few candles in holders on the walls.

The man seated at the head of the table was a fearsome spectacle. An ancient man with thick silver hair and lean, rugged features, he emanated an aura of command, power, and purpose. Despite his age, he held himself perfectly erect, and in his eyes burned a fire not found in many far younger than himself. He was dressed impeccably in a fine white tuxedo, trimmed with blood red.

The men and women occupying other places at the table were listening attentively to the voice of the “patriarch.” About a half dozen in number, they were each identically dressed in sharp black suits. In the general public each would have cut a remarkable figure, but here, in the presence of their leader, they looked drab. They varied in age, but all were far younger than the man at the head of the table.

“…throughout our long centuries of existence, we have been misunderstood,” the patriarch was saying. “We have been feared, hated, hunted, and killed by the lesser men of this world, who see naught beyond their narrow vision. Always have we sought only to protect and preserve what is rightfully ours, and to occasionally guide and correct the development of the larger societies around us.”

“Without the subtle leadership we have provided, civilization would have remained mired in barbarity!” he continued, his voice thundering throughout the hall. “Yet all that is seen are the regrettable methods which we are forced to use to achieve our ends. No one sees the far greater evils that would be done were we to remove our influence.”

His voice grew quieter. “And that is how it must always remain,” he said. “You who are only now entering this family, the Cosa Nuova, understand the necessity of complete confidentiality. I do not need to remind you, for your education has long prepared you for this moment. Always remember it, for this is the day that you step out of the obscurity of the past and into the immortality that belongs to the Legendary – to those who have changed their world.”

He gazed slowly about the room, his eyes lingering on each of the neophytes. No one moved or spoke. The terrible silence dripped with anticipation.

Finally, he nodded. “It is time,” he said simply.

Having finished his speech, the patriarch rose swiftly from his seat; the neophytes quickly followed in unison. He turned and strode smartly to the end of the hall and through a high doorway there. The rest formed a single-file line and followed him through the door, the last turning to shut the double doors behind him.

The room in which they found themselves was dark and had a high ceiling. In each of the room’s six corners stood a high pillar reaching up into the darkness. The room was empty except for an ornate altar which stood at the far end, about waist-high. Resting on the altar were several burning candles, a short stack of small paper pictures, and a knife.

The aged man strode purposefully up to the altar and stepped behind it. The neophytes gathered around the front of the altar in a semi-circle, waiting several paces back.

The patriarch nodded to the first neophyte, who stepped forward and held out his right hand. He gave no reaction as his leader seized the knife and made a small cut on his pointer finger. Instead he calmly took the picture that was offered him and smeared some of his own blood on it. He gazed contemplatively at the picture for a few moments – it was of St. Augustine, his family’s patron saint. Deliberately, he held the picture over a candle until it caught fire.

The neophyte began to speak, his oath long memorized and painstakingly rehearsed. “I choose to enter this secret organization to protect my family and brothers,” he said. “I swear not to divulge this secret, and to obey with love and Omerta.” As he spoke, more and more of the image was consumed by the fire. He began quickly passing it back and forth between his hands to ease the pain of the burning. “As this saint burns – so will burn my soul if I fail to keep my oath,” he continued. “I enter alive into this organization and can only leave dead.”

As he finished, the last of the image was consumed by the fire, leaving only ash. He had suffered some burns on his hands, but still showed no reaction. Finally, he bowed his head and waited for the expected words.

He didn’t have to wait long. “Your oath has been heard, my son,” said the patriarch. “And it will not be forgotten. Your family is our family, and your fate is our fate, until death separates us.”

The neophyte stepped back to his original place in the semicircle, and the next stepped forward. The ritual repeated itself with exacting precision until all of them had bound themselves securely to the Cosa Nuova.

At last the solemn ceremony was complete. Before dismissing the newly initiated members, the patriarch spoke a few final words.

“A task of utmost gravity lies before us,” he said. “In a few days several of you will be chosen to carry it out. You will not know fear, pain, or regret, and you will not fail. You are Cosa Nuova.”

Welcome to Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia!

Basic Rules (for those who haven’t played before)

A small number of players will be selected at random as “Mafia.” The rest of the players are simple villagers. The goal of the mafia is to kill all of the villagers, while the goal of the villagers is to identify and execute the mafia.

The game progresses in turns. At the beginning of each turn, the mafia will send me private messages indicating who they wish to kill, as well as the method they wish to use. I will then post the kills in a story format. Everyone then votes publicly on who they think is guilty. At the end of a set period of time (approximately 24 hours after the kills are posted), the person with the most votes is executed.

The game progresses like this until either the mafia are all executed, or until all the villagers have all been killed.

How to Vote

As in other recent games, I expect you to vote like this: Vote: Kommodus. Please make your votes bold – that will make it much easier for me to tally the votes. If you don’t follow this method, I’ll still try to count your vote, but I can’t guarantee anything. If your vote gets missed because you didn’t follow this rule, there won’t be any recounts.

If you wish to retract an earlier vote and cast a new vote, please use the following format:

Unvote: GeneralHankerchief
    Vote: Kommodus

Technically you don’t need the “unvote” part, but it makes it a little clearer to all the participants what you are doing.

How Many Mafia? And What Other Roles?

I’m going to keep this game simple, and largely similar to GeneralHankerchief’s tried-and-true formula. With apologies to those who like lots of roles, I don’t have the time or the private message box capacity to deal with too many.

The number of mafia will be determined after signups are complete. I’ll use a computer simulation to attempt to balance the game properly. It will probably be two or three at most. The number of kills the mafia are allowed to make per turn will also be determined this way.

Other likely roles include:

Detective: A villager who can “investigate” one player each turn and determine whether or not they are mafia.

Doctor: A villager who can “protect” one player each turn, preventing the mafia from killing that player.

Again, the existence and number of players holding each of the above roles will be determined by computer simulation after signups are complete.

What About Player Inactivity?

My rules will be clearly defined in this area. To prevent players from “lurking” and not participating in the discussion, anyone who misses three voting rounds in a row, or a total of five voting rounds throughout the game, will be ejected from the game. As you can tell, this is pretty lenient.

However, my method of getting rid of you won’t be the “Wrath of God” event that’s become popular in other games. Oh no – I’ll be far less merciful than that. I’ll most likely write a story in which you off yourself in a hilarious and idiotic fashion worthy of a Darwin award. Needless to say, you don’t want this, so please stay active. It’s more fun that way anyway.

If you don’t want to vote, but want to avoid this fate, simply do this: Vote: Abstain.

Other Rules

As per Sasaki’s suggestion, when you are claiming your role, you may not post screenshots. You can post quotes if you want, since everyone knows how easy those are to fake.

After you are dead, whether you are killed or executed, you may still discuss who you think is guilty. I find that this makes games livelier and more fun. Of course, you may not vote once dead.

If you are mafia, you may not reveal your role. You may not “confess,” as has been done in the past. If you are a villager and claim to be mafia, this will be an automatic suicide. See the section on player inactivity for your fate.

Enough Rules Already, Let’s Get Going!

To sign up, simply post in this thread and say you are interested! A number of people have already signed up; I’ll create a list shortly.

Currently Signed Up:

Big King Sanctaphrax
    Cowhead418
    Crazed Rabbit
    Csar
    Destroyer of Hope
    discovery1
    Divine Wind
    Dutch_guy
    Evil_Maniac From Mars
    GeneralHankerchief
    Glaucus
    Peasant Phill
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Sigurd Fafnesbane
    Silver Rusher
    Orb
    Byzantine Mercenary
    AggonyDuck
    King Henry V
    Proletariat
    Tiberius
    Drisos
    Sir Moody
    Reenk Roink
    Zalmoxis
    ByzantineKnight
    doc_bean
    Xiahou
    Kagemusha
    Leet Eriksson
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Last edited by Kommodus; 10-12-2006 at 23:03.
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Default Re: Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia

If you are a villager and claim to be mafia, this will be an automatic suicide. See the section on player inactivity for your fate.
    I understand this isn't exactly normal behavior, but why does it guarantee death ?

Other than that, great Prologue Kommodus

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    I understand this isn't exactly normal behavior, but why does it guarantee death ?
    To avoid the spoiler pointed out in Mafia IV, in which someone claims to be mafia, guaranteeing their innocence as the mafia are forbidden from revealing their role.
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kommodus
    However, my method of getting rid of you won’t be the “Wrath of God” event that’s become popular in other games. Oh no – I’ll be far less merciful than that. I’ll most likely write a story in which you off yourself in a hilarious and idiotic fashion worthy of a Darwin award. Needless to say, you don’t want this, so please stay active. It’s more fun that way anyway.
    Brilliant! I will be looking forward to this.

Very good write-up, by the way. I am also very much looking forward to other posts involving the story.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

I'm in

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

il join

Sign me up too.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Excellent Prologue Kommodus very well written can't wait for this one to start. Do you have a time frame for people to sign up? Since I died in the last game I'm looking forward to being alive again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Beam sign me up.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, all I want to do now is dirty the leader's suit.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    Wow, all I want to do now is dirty the leader's suit.
    That sounds suspicious.

Vote:GeneralHankerchief

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Vote:Sasaki Kojiro

Your always suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Csar
    Vote:Sasaki Kojiro

Your always suspicious.
    Dude, don't be ridiculous, voting hasn't started yet.

Quintus Libo / Austria Member Glaucus's Avatar

I'm mildy certain he was joking.
    HBO Rome:
    Mark Anthony
    :I shall be a good Politican, even if it kills me... or anyone else for that matter.

Kommodus you got me up there 2 times.

And yes I was joking Sasaki.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Vote: Glaucus

Trying to defend your fellow mafioso?

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

I'm in.

Is Infernal Affairs good? I've got 2 and 3 but I don't want to watch till I get 1.

By the way, do you have subtitles or voiceovers?
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Me too.

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

I'm new to this game, so if I suspect I'm getting singled out for being a noob staff member, I'm gonna edit anything the culprits post in the Entrance Hall with Keroppi gifs.

Nice intro, Kommodus! I'm excited.

sign me up kom

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

Sure thing, where do i sign?
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wind
    Sure thing, where do i sign?
    Here, in fact.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Reenkazilla would like to join!

I want to join as well.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just realized how... empty my life is without a mafia game going on in the Org.

How much longer until we begin?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Signups will be officially closed in 24 hours! If anyone wants to join, now is the time to do it!

(Note: After signups are closed, I'll still need a little more time to properly balance the game and send out the PMs... perhaps up to one more day, due to the programming involved.)

Vote: Sasaki Member ByzantineKnight's Avatar

Smile Re: Cosa Nuova: A New Mafia

Can I join?
    RIP Tosa, I can't believe you are gone, but we will never forget you

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

sign me up !
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

BK and doc_bean, you guys are both in.

About 13 hours left to go, guys! Get your names in!

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Suggestion: PM some of the old geezers from the good old days of Mafia II/III.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast